• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 15,129 Views, 814 Comments

Mare of Steel - iowaforever

  • ...
20
 814
 15,129

Part 2, Chapter 6

Chapter 20

Rainbow Dash was hovering in a room with one door, her limbs and wings useless in whatever field Steel Wing was in possession of. The room was white, with constant light beaming down on her, and Rainbow knew that one wall was really a two way mirror. She looked around the room once more, her eyes darting from corner to corner, before the door opened and Steel Wing entered.

“I suppose this arrangement is not merely because you are paranoid?” she asked.

“I am not paranoid.” Steel Wing said, stopping in front of Rainbow Dash. “However, I do not want to risk the chance that you might break free.”

Rainbow Dash nodded. “That’s reasonable, but understand that I am willing to cooperate with you fully.”

“Heh, like I’d be drawn in by that.” Steel Wing began to pace in front of Rainbow Dash. “Someone with your power level wouldn’t just allow herself to be captured so easily. Then again, most of what you’ve done over the past year doesn’t make much sense to begin with.”

Rainbow Dash shook her head, raising an eyebrow. “I went out and helped ponies. Is that so confusing?”

Steel Wing cast a glance back at Rainbow Dash. “I know that, but really? You can break through solid rock and fly faster than any living pony, why consign yourself to such menial tasks?”

“‘Menial’? Saving lives is ‘menial’?” Rainbow Dash asked, leaning forward slightly in surprise. “General, I’m beginning to think that you don’t really care all that much about the citizens of Equestria.”

Steel Wing glared at her. “Don’t say that I don’t care about Equestria. I swore to defend them from anything that might present a threat by any means necessary.”

“And you see me as a threat?” Rainbow Dash replied, looking Steel Wing in the eye.

“Yes, who wouldn’t?” Steel Wing replied. Rainbow Dash paused for a moment, thinking over Steel Wing’s words.

“You’re probably right; I suppose that if, for whatever reason, I decided to go rogue, then it would be justifiable in keeping me incarcerated.” she said, nodding slightly.

Steel Wing scoffed. “I think you made that decision a long time ago. Now tell me, why were you really sent to Equestria?” There was another pause.

“... My father was just trying to save me-”

“That’s what you’ve said, but do you really expect anypony to believe that? Now why are you here? Was your father planning an invasion?” Steel Wing said, looking at Rainbow Dash with disdain.

“How dare you say that about my father!” Rainbow snapped. “He was a respected scientist who opposed unnecessary violence and cared for the survival of all living things! And you accuse him of being a warmonger?”

“How am I to know you are being truthful? You could just claim that he is a scientist when he is really the mastermind of your species.” Steel Wing replied, sounding equally angered.

“Oh, so I’m a species now?” Rainbow Dash asked. “What’s next, are you going to claim I have acid for blood or something?”

Steel Wing scoffed. “Don’t try to play stupid with me.”

“Oh, that wouldn’t be too hard.” Rainbow Dash replied. Steel Wing glared at her again.

“Answer my question: why were you sent here?” he asked again, his voice cold.

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and groaned. “When two Kryptonians really love each other and realize that their planet is about to be blown to pieces, they take their baby daughter and send her-”

“I said stop pretending to be innocent! What are your plans for Equestria?” Steel Wing shouted, cutting her off again.

“Get rid of crime, stop monsters and natural disasters from killing ponies, that sort of thing.” Rainbow Dash replied matter of factly, doing her best to remain calm. There was a growl before Steel Wing asked his next question.

“What have you used to charm Thunderlane?”

Rainbow Dash blinked. “... I’m sorry?”

“My son Thunderlane has been developing feelings for you.” Steel Wing said, his voice tight. “Since I know him to be an upstanding colt that does not deal with... ponies such as you, then you must have charmed him in some way. How, though?”

Rainbow Dash simply shrugged. “... I’m cute?”

Steel Wing's eyes narrowed. “And you continue playing innocent. What have you done with my son?”

Rainbow had started to get irritated; she was willing to help Steel Wing and iron out any issues between him and her, but prying into her social life? “Nothing; I saved a bunch of ponies in front of him, and he asked me to go stargazing with him.” She replied, her voice losing her patient tone.

“Stop lying to me!” Steel Wing shouted.

“I’m not!” Rainbow shouted back. “I didn’t even get a chance to kiss him!” Rainbow instantly regretted those words and bit her lip while Steel Wing looked at her in shock. “I... I’m sorry; I allowed myself to lose control.”

“No... that just helps me in the long run.” Steel Wing smiled, turning to leave. “We shall continue this conversation at a later time.” with that he closed the door behind him, leaving Rainbow alone. Rainbow hung in silence for a minute or two, thinking about what Steel Wing had said during the “interrogation”.

She sighed. “Captured by a paranoid general who thinks I’m seducing his son... I may have misjudged this situation.”

................

Rainbow Dash hung in space, her eyes closed in meditation. It was a technique Jor-El had taught her during her training in the Fortress of Solitude, and it allowed her to reach out farther with her senses and powers. Her ears twitched as she listened to the conversations of those in the facility, all of them oblivious to her eavesdropping. She flicked her left ear towards the door of her prison, listening as a pony approached the door.

“Open the door.” a familiar voice said. Rainbow’s eyes snapped open when she realized who was speaking. Silversmith?! What’s he doing here?

“Sir, General Steel Wing gave strict orders that nopony was to see the-” one of the guards outside replied.

“Look, just shut up and open the damn door.” Silversmith ordered.

“... Y-Yes sir.” the guard replied, and the door swung open and Silversmith entered, the balding Earth Pony glaring back at the guard before turning his attention to Rainbow Dash.

“I can’t say we’ve had the pleasure of meeting.” Rainbow Dash said, trying her hardest not to betray her identity.

“I suspected that you would be wrapped up in pleasantries. My name is Alexander Silversmith, President and CEO of Silver Industries.”

“Nice to meet you... May I call you ‘Lex’?” Rainbow asked. There was a pause.

Silversmith smiled. “Go ahead; I won’t stop you.”

“Well, it seems that you’ve done a little more than that.” Rainbow said, jerking her head
towards the beam of light surrounding her.

“Oh what? Do you think this was my idea?” Silversmith chuckled. “I merely supplied the technology, nothing more. Capturing you was our esteemed ‘friend’ General Steel Wing’s idea.”

“I can see you’re not too keen on him.” Rainbow said, noticing how Silversmith seemed to bristle slightly upon saying the General’s name.

“Understand that I respect ponies in his position, except when their carrying on interferes with my own plans.” Silversmith said.

“And those would be?” Rainbow asked. Silversmith laughed.

“Of course, you would love to know, wouldn’t you? Rest assured, I am working for the betterment of Equestria.”

Rainbow Dash sighed. “Just like Steel Wing?”

Silversmith rolled his eyes. “He is only concerned about security. If one places too much emphasis on security, it’s impossible to make sure nothing falls through the cracks.” Silversmith shifted on his hooves. “Answer me this: who holds most of the power in Equestria?”

“... The princesses?”

“In theory. Reality is much different; it’s business ponies like me that make sure that Equestria survives. Without our vast resources, most of the things that normal ponies rely on would vanish. It’s not generals and princesses that are in control; it’s bankers and industrialists that forge cities and help unite continents.”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “And what of the common ponies? It wasn’t big business that founded Ponyville or Canterlot.”

“True, but if it weren’t for one pony’s investment then Ponyville would be nothing more than a trading post along the railway that no one would ever remember.”

“You don’t know that. Ponies tend to collect around farms-”

“Why, though? Because they provide food? Any Earth Pony with an ounce of sense can raise a farm; it’s ingrained into their DNA. No, ponies only gather when profits are involved. Would the city of Trottingham be as important as it is if the Manes hadn’t built their first factories there?”

“Maybe. I’d have to ask Fancy Pants next time I see him; he’s from Trottingham, right?” Silversmith laughed again.

“You’re better off looking elsewhere; Fancy Pants is too confused about himself to even carry his father’s name.”

“Getting back to the topic on hoof, how does collaborating with Steel Wing forward anything?”

“You’d be surprised. I have a vision, Supermare; a vision where everypony works, a vision of Equestria strong and industrial.”

“With you running everything, I suppose?”

Silversmith shrugged. “If I can manage it. For the past thirty years I have worked hard, building up a powerbase to make my dream a reality. In a few years I may be able to expand further, and your common pony will once again have a chance to make his or her fortune.”

“Nice rhetoric. You should run for public office.” At this, Silversmith frowned.

“I’ve tried, but it seems that the ponies of Manehattan prefer welfare and tax bailouts to a hard day’s work.”

“Says the multi-millionaire corporate raider.”

“Multi-billionaire, and as for being a corporate raider, I encourage you to review all of Silver Industries records; we have always dealt with our competition fairly and legally, and anypony else that says otherwise is merely trying to tarnish my name and my business.”

“What about the sabotage attempts on MagiTech a few weeks ago?”

“Review the Manehattan police records; those saboteurs were radicals attempting to both frame me and wreck MagiTech, thereby causing the economy to stall.”

“You know that’s not true.” Silversmith smiled, something that caused a small chill to run down Rainbow Dash’s back. It was not like Pinkie smiling; this was cold, predatory even.

“Yes, but how can you prove that I am lying? You may have respect, but you are still one pony; unless you bring forward hard evidence of my involvement, then you don’t have a case.” Now it was Rainbow Dash’s turn to glare.

“So, about your plan; why haven’t you finished it? I am all for raising Ponykind up, so why haven’t you?”

“See, there’s one problem: you.” What?

“... Me?”

“Yes. You go about saving ponies, then they are less likely to push themselves forward and rely on you for all of their minor issues.”

“I fight monsters and stop natural disasters, I don’t pay ponies’ back taxes. My father sent me here as a guardian-”

“Equestria doesn’t need a guardian; it needs a leader, someone to place these ponies on the path to advancing.” There was a pause as Rainbow thought about what Silversmith said.

“I think you’re wrong. Ponykind cannot function if they have someone dictating everything to them; suggesting, maybe, but robbing them of what makes them who they are and replacing it with something... artificial? I don’t think that’s right. I am pushing and guiding them towards a path that will lead them towards harmony, but you’d rather push them onto whatever path you’d want them to, most likely to serve your own purpose.”

“You are an idealist, Supermare; subtle manipulations don’t work when it comes to leading ponies. They will ignore your lessons, they will go off and violate all that you have fought for.” At this, Rainbow merely closed her eyes and lowered her head.

“I know. Ponies do commit wrong in their lives, but it would be just as wrong for me to lord over them and force them to obey.” there was silence.

“You really believe all that?”

“Yes.” there was a pause before Silversmith smirked.

“Then I look forward to being there when your dream comes crashing down on you.”

“Kind of hard for that to happen when I’m locked up in here, isn’t it?”

“Oh, I’m sure you’ll find a way out.” Silversmith turned and opened the door. “You are Supermare, after all.” and with that he was gone, headed into the bowels of the base while Rainbow Dash returned to meditating.

I’ll have to be more careful with what I say. She thought.

.............

Interrogating Supermare had not gotten very far; she had deflected every single question about who she was and why she was in Equestria, continuing on about how “her father had sent her to be a guardian for Equestria”. Steel Wing groaned; he had expected some resistance, but not to this degree.

“Perhaps you have been going about this in the wrong way.” Steel Wing looked up and saw Silversmith standing over him.

“Why should I listen to your advice?” he spat, turning away from the business pony.

“I have been in many similar situations; I’ve always found that browbeating the subject ends up tightening their lips more often than it loosens them.”

“You’re a business pony, not a general; we tend to do things a bit differently.”

“And I suppose that worked so well repelling the Changeling invasion.” Steel Wing glared at Silversmith.

“That was ‘Captain’ Shining Armor’s fault; I was settling a border dispute with Zebrica at the time.”

“Still, if your fellow generals hadn’t dithered around, they could have driven the Changelings out of Canterlot with ease. Although I should be thankful; some of the Changelings got knocked into Manehattan, and I was able to do a few experiments into artificial shape shifting technology.” Steel Wing merely raised his eyebrow at this. “All I’m saying is that Supermare is not some Griffin or Zebra terrorist; appealing to force doesn’t work on a pony who can fly from Manehattan to Seaddle in under thirty seconds and break an airship apart with her bare hooves. You need to challenge her beliefs, get her to start speaking rhetoric, and then she might slip up.”

“‘Might’?”

“She’s an idealist, yes, but she’s not stupid.”

“I’m not worried about that; even the most intelligent of prisoners will slip up under pressure.” Silversmith sighed.

“Have it your way. I have a few business appointments to make, so I’ll leave you and your little pet superhero alone for now.” and with that Silversmith turned and left. Steel Wing was about to call after him, to keep him within the confines of the base and prevent information from getting out, but he held back.

Silversmith is on my side in this. He’ll stay quiet.

.................

Another day, another interrogation. Rainbow Dash had come to plan her entire day around Steel Wing’s interrogations; most of the time between questioning she meditated, although she would use her breath to make small ice sculptures from time to time. Steel Wing and his soldiers would break them before she had a chance to really enjoy them, but such was her position as a prisoner.

However, things had started to look up.

“Being evasive again?” Steel Wing asked.

“Well, I’ve answered every question you’ve asked multiple times, with multiple variations on the same answer. Unless I start lying then you are not going to get any new information.”

“But how are we supposed to know you’re lying?” Rainbow shrugged.

“Why don’t you use a Seal of Honesty? Or cross reference my answers? Or why don’t you bring in the Bearer of the Element of Honesty?”

“I believe that you possess the ability to bluff your way through those types of tests.”

“If that’s true, then I could say whatever I wanted and you’d never know the truth. I think that right now you are being just a bit too paranoid.” Rainbow Dash could hear Steel Wing gritting his teeth together. She had to admit, it was pretty amusing to see him getting worked up.

“I. Am not. Paranoid.”

“And I’m not a Kryptonian.” Steel Wing’s glare returned. “Look, why don’t you just call the Princesses down here and they can decide for themselves?”

“Celestia has already fallen under your charms; she is useless to me.”

“Well, how about Luna? I’m sure she could accommodate you.” Steel Wing and his guards laughed.

“Luna? She can barely manage the night without having to run back to her sister for help when something goes wrong. What makes you think that she’ll be capable of detecting your lies?”

“I don’t know; she did a pretty good job breaking into your base five minutes ago.” Steel Wing’s glare vanished in an instant, and Rainbow failed to suppress her smile. “Now, I believe you were saying something about her having to run back to Celestia every time something went wrong?” Steel Wing failed to respond before a blast of magic blew in the door, showering all the ponies present with dust. As the dust cleared, a dark blue alicorn marched into the room, her eyes glowing with power as she glared at Steel Wing.

“ARE WE NOT CAPABLE NOW, GENERAL?” Luna bellowed, the force of her voice pushing the ponies back.

“P-Princess!” Steel Wing stammered “How did you-”

“ENOUGH, GENERAL. THOU HAST CONTAINED A CLOSE ALLY OF OUR SISTER, AND THOU HAST INSULTED OUR CAPABILITY OF RULING. FOR THIS TREASON, CONSIDER THYSELF STRIPPED OF YOUR POSITION AND UNDER IMMEDIATE CUSTODY.”

“You... You can’t do this! I’ve done nothing-”

“DO NOT TRY TO DEFLECT BLAME, GENERAL. GUARDS!” a squadron of Luna’s Night Guard entered, quickly surrounding Steel Wing and his followers. “TAKE HIM BACK TO THE CASTLE AND INFORM OUR SISTER; WE SHALL DEAL WITH THIS TRAITOR AND HIS ILK SOON ENOUGH.” Steel Wing tried to break through the ring of guards, but to no avail. Luna’s guards began to drag him from the room, ignoring his attempts to break free. Once Steel Wing was gone, Luna’s horn shimmered and Rainbow Dash dropped to the ground, feeling flowing back into her limbs.

“Thank you, Princess, for freeing me.”

“WE WERE INFORMED...” Luna stopped talking, blushing once she realized she had relapsed back into her old habits. “I mean, I was notified that you were being held here without authorization, so I made it my duty to investigate and free you.”

“You said you were informed? By who?”

“I do not know.” Rainbow Dash pushed herself back up on her hooves.

“Princess, may I ask you a question?”

“Of course.”

“Do you think I’m dangerous?” there was a pause as Luna thought on Rainbow’s question.

“To some extent, yes. But I believe that you possess a good heart and mind, and you helped save my sister’s life during the Summer Sun Celebration.”

“Yeah, but I could have just been doing that for my own gains... At least, that’s what Steel Wing said.”

“Perhaps, but I will say one thing: the ponies of Krypton were among some of the most honest beings I had the privilege of knowing. My sister and I owe our lives to them...” Rainbow Dash was about to ask what exactly Luna meant by that, but the Princess waved her off. “That is a tale for another day. I believe you would like to leave this place.”

“Yes... I have other questions for different ponies...”

...................

The weekend had come again, and Thunderlane had decided to sleep in. It was quiet for once; Rumble was in Ponyville with Featherweight, and his father was in jail where he wouldn’t trouble anypony with his paranoia. For how things usually went, Thunderlane was having a good week.

He was roused from sleeping by a knock at the door. Puzzled, Thunderlane got up from bed and hung his head out of his room.

“Who is it?” he called.

“A friend.” a bell-like voice replied. After blinking in surprise a few times, Thunderlane hurried towards the door and flung it open, Supermare cocking her head to one side as he made himself visible. “Why didn’t you tell me that your father was out to get me?”

“Uh... W-well, I never thought he’d do anything... well, anything like that. Harass you, maybe, but try and arrest you?” He pawed at the ground, a small line of sweat running down his face. “Y-you’re mad at me, aren’t you?”

“No, I’m not mad. You didn’t do anything wrong, and neither of us thought that anything bad would happen.” She fluffed her wings. “Thunderlane?”

“Yes?”

“I don’t want to bring any unnecessary hardship on you and your family. If there’s anything I can do-”

“Oh no!” a pause. Supermare looked confused while Thunderlane blushed. “Err, I mean, uh, you don’t have to do anything because of... well, what happened. I mean, well, you’ve got a whole bunch of other things that are probably more important, so, uh...”

“Oh, I can find time.”

“Really?” another pause. Thunderlane had started sweating again. “Uh, I mean, you don’t have to do-”

“Oh no, I insist.”

“No really, you don’t-” yet another pause. “... Tuesday?”

“Yes.”

“You pick the spot.”

“Yes.” Now it was Supermare's turn to blush. “Well, I best be off.”

“Okay then.” Thunderlane nodded as Supermare took off, disappearing back into the cloud cover. Thunderlane closed the door before banging his forehead against the wall.

“Why do I have to be so nervous?” he groaned before banging his forehead against the wall several more times.

................

Steel Wing couldn’t believe it; he had gotten Supermare in his grasp, unable to carry out her plans, and he was the one who got arrested. “It’s a conspiracy, I know it... the Princesses are in league with her... they must be!”

“And I had fears about your rationality before.” the flat voice of Vril Dox said, the unicorn stepping out of the shadows and approaching Steel Wing’s cell. “I suppose they may have been understated.”

“You... Why are you here?”

“Your impulsiveness delayed my plans significantly. I needed Supermare free to act, not in custody, and then you attacked and imprisoned her.”

“She gave herself up.” there was a pause.

“... Interesting. Her honor has skewed her judgement. Still, having her free is better than having her in chains, and the younger princess was surprisingly effective in eliminating that problem.” Steel Wing blinked before rising from the floor.

“You... You were the one who turned me in?”

“Yes. You are no longer necessary for my plan, and in the long run you would merely slow my plans. Removing you is the most logical path to take.”

“You bastard!” Steel Wing shouted, trying and failing to grab Vril Dox. “You think you can just betray me and get away with it?!”

“Yes.”

“Well you won’t! I know about your plans, I know who you are! I can tell the Princesses everything and I’ll be a hero!” Vril Dox said nothing. Instead, he leaned forward and tapped his horn to Steel Wing’s head. Immediately, Steel Wing’s eyes went blank, his mind tingling as Vril Dox’s magic took effect.

“No you won’t. You won’t even remember I exist. You will go about ranting in this prison while I deal with Supermare. And if you even so much as remember anything I have shown you or told you, losing your memories will be the least of your problems. Is that clear?”

“... Yes.”

“Good.” Vril Dox pulled back, allowing Steel Wing to drop to the ground. He said nothing more, instead turning and disappearing back into the shadows.

“A conspiracy.” Steel Wing muttered. “She and the Princesses have a conspiracy...”

Author's Note:

I guess I have a lot of energy from the Man of Steel Trailer... surprising, considering that I am getting mauled by allergies.
As this is a Superman crossover, I had to have a little Superman/ Luthor verbal jousting. We'll just have to wait and see which one of them is right.
Also, Luna! Her relationship with Kryptonians is important, but it will be explored in greater detail as I start expanding this universe more.
Special thanks to Bronyman1995 for editing.
Next Chapter: Rainbow Dash/ Supermare vs. Vril Dox/ Brainiac, Round One.