• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 15,136 Views, 814 Comments

Mare of Steel - iowaforever

  • ...
20
 814
 15,136

Part 1, Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Rainbow Dash was sitting atop one of the buildings near Canterlot Castle. The sun had been set about thirty minutes ago, and she was juggling the idea of going home and continuing her search for “Zod” tomorrow with the idea of continuing on. She had been spotted several times, and already a small group of foals and other impressionable ponies was running from street to street in search of Supermare. She sighed and took to the skies again, sweeping her vision across the city for signs of anything unusual.

I don’t see how the royal guards does this sort of thing; he could be anywhere. She stopped and slapped herself.

“They’ve got records on every pony in Equestria; I should have looked there first.” She turned around and flew towards the castle, giving a friendly nod to a trio of Night Guards as she flew past. She scanned the castle once again to locate the archives, adjusting her flightpath once again to minimise her travel time. She landed on a nearby balcony and approached two of the guards standing outside.

“Excuse me, but I need access to the Royal Archives.” she said “I have a lead on a potential threat to Equestria.”

“Do you have authorization?”

“I’m really good friends with the Princesses. Does that work?”

“I don’t believe it does. Unless you are otherwise authorized, I cannot allow you to have access to the Archives.”

“Where can I get authorization?”


“You will have to sign up for the Royal Guards and become an officer, which would take... three or four years, give or take.”

“I don’t have that kind of time. Is there another way?”

“What is going on out here?” a voice called “I was trying to sleep and here you all are talking as if-” Prince Blueblood froze when he walked out on the balcony “Who are you and what are you doing here?” he asked Rainbow Dash.

“I’m Supermare. I have a lead on a potential threat to Equestria and need access to the Archives.” there was a pause.

“Well... I suppose I could give you authorization if it would get you all to shut up.”

“Sir, it’s not in your jurisdiction to authorize-”

“I am royalty, am I not? I am authorized to allow anypony in if I want.”

“... Yes you are.” the guard sighed “Fine, I’ll give you ten minutes. Find whatever you want and get out before somepony sees you.”

“Thank you.” Rainbow Dash nodded and brushed past the guards and Blueblood, the unicorn stallion following after her. “Why are you following me?”

“Well, other than the fact that you need somepony to let you in, you’d probably break something on your way there.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and continued on.

“I assure you, I am much more careful than you give me credit.”

“I doubt it.” One of these days I’ll give this guy a good dressing down. The two ponies continued until they reached a pair of large wooden doors, each one adorned with a carving of Celestia’s cutie mark. Blueblood raised his head and the doors parted, allowing Rainbow Dash to enter.

“You know this place better than me,” she said “Where are all the records on ponies, specifically ones with first names starting with ‘Z’?”

“I barely look at that section, but I suspect they would be somewhere over there.” Blueblood pointed to a row of shelves to his right.

“Thanks.”

“And be quick. We don’t want some nosy pony coming in and seeing you.” Rainbow Dash ignored him, flying over to where he had said the records had been kept. During her flight, she noticed something odd: there were no guards anywhere in the Archives. She ignored it at first, but after a minute she began to feel a little uneasy.

“Hey, where are all the guards?” she asked.

“I dismissed them for a few minutes.” Blueblood said from the other side of the room.

“Why? Aren’t you afraid I’ll steal something?”

“I highly doubt you would be able to do so... Kara Jor-El.” Rainbow Dash froze and turned towards Blueblood.

“How did you know my name?”

“I probably know more about you than you do. You were born on Krypton, nearly one thousand years ago, and your father Jor-El was known as a great scientist and a backstabbing traitor.”

“But how? You’re just Blueblood.” instead of answering her, Blueblood leapt across the room and slammed Rainbow Dash into the floor.

“The real Prince Blueblood died five years ago in an airship accident. I am General Zod, commander of Krypton’s defense forces, and true heir to it’s legacy.” Rainbow Dash tried to throw Blueblood off, but the stallion smashed his right hoof into her face several times before throwing her against a nearby wall, the stone cracking under her impact.

“‘True heir’?” Rainbow Dash asked, spitting out a small droplet of blood.

“I suppose your father failed to tell you who I was.” Blueblood said, circling his opponent “Typical; he only seemed to care for himself. He told me about Krypton’s destruction and asked for my help. I knew the council would not listen, so I sought to remove them so Jor-El’s plan could go ahead. But was he thankful? No, he turned me over to the magistrates and I was imprisoned while Krypton died.”

“You tried to overthrow a government. How is that considered helping?” Blueblood charged her, his hoof raised to strike. Rainbow Dash dodged the first strike, but the second caught her in the gut, driving the air from her lungs. Before she could recover, Blueblood hit her in the small of her back, knocking her to the ground.

“I was the only one on that miserable speck of rock to have the ambition and the drive to try and find a solution. Your father branded me a traitor when he should have seen me as a hero.”

“A hero that destabilizes an entire society?”

“What would you know about heroism? You dress up in a cape like a child and flee once those weaker than you begin to adore you. You could have set yourself up as a god, yet you did not.”

“I don’t have to be a god to lead these ponies.” Rainbow Dash pulled herself up, but as she turned to face Blueblood the stallion bucked with his hind legs, knocking her across the room. She tried to get up again, but he was upon her, each hit doing more damage than the last.

“And that is why you fail.” Blueblood backed up, allowing Rainbow Dash some time to recover “You’ve grown complacent; you attend to these ponies needs instead of your own. If they were capable of truly striving for greatness, they wouldn’t need you. Since you do not seem capable of controlling them, I suppose I will have to take your place.”

“How? Princess Celestia would-”

“Oh, I have plans, but the first obstacle I must do away with,” Blueblood turned to her “Is you.” Rainbow Dash charged this time, drawing back for a strike with as much power she could muster. Blueblood merely sidestepped her attack and punched out, his hoof colliding with her throat and causing her to choke. As she staggered, Blueblood advanced and hit her in the side, dropping her to the ground again.

“You call this a fight? This is more like a foal’s temper tantrum... though I suppose you are still technically a foal.”

“I’m twenty five. Twenty Five! I’m not a foal!”

“Please. I was fighting for the defense of Krypton before you were even a parasite in your mother’s womb.” He struck her again, slamming her into a nearby bookcase. “If you are so confident in your skills, go ahead and defeat me.” Rainbow Dash got back on her hooves and attacked. She swung out with her right hoof, but he ducked and delivered two punches to her chest before dealing another hit to her face, knocking her to the ground once more.

“So, this is how the valiant Supermare defends her fellows.” Blueblood said, circling Rainbow Dash as the mare struggled to get back up “Look how she lies, like a common servant. Come, use your strenght to get back up. Or are you just as weak as the ponies who call you their slave?” Rainbow Dash groaned as she pushed up against the floor, her legs quivering as she tried to get up. She almost made it before a sharp kick landed in her side, knocking her down yet again.

“Come, if you’re so strong, get up.” Blueblood kicked her again, a small spray of blood escaping her lips. “Get up and fight me like a true Kryptonian.” again she tried to get up, but Blueblood unleashed a flurry of kicks and punches, the strikes echoing throughout the Archives “Go on, get up! Get Up!” Rainbow Dash tried to shield herself from Blueblood’s strikes, but her weakened body could not take any more punishment. Blueblood stepped back, surveying his work.

“I knew it. You are weak, just like your father. You don’t know how to defend yourself, much less how to protect yourself. You are not worth my time.” he pushed Rainbow Dash onto her back, the sudden shift causing a gasp of pain to escape her lips.

“Wh... Why...?” she asked, her voice a hoarse croak.

“I told you. Your father wronged me, and since he is dead I must extract my revenge on his heir. But since you are not as great a threat as I thought, I suppose I will have to move to the next part of my plan.” Blueblood’s horn glowed and a small necklace appeared next to him. “Do you know what this is?”

“... necklace...”

“Oh, it’s much more than that. You see, there are very few ways to kill a Kryptonian once they have absorbed enough solar energy.” Blueblood approached Rainbow Dash, carrying the necklace in front of him “One such way lies in the very soil we used to tread on. Scientists used to call it Kryptonite, and it is one of the most dangerous elements in the world... for you and me, that is. Radiation from Krypton’s death infuses every ounce of the stuff, making it deadly poison.” he reached Rainbow Dash and pinned her to the floor with his hoof. While she struggled to knock him off, he draped the necklace over her head and backed up.

As soon as it touched her neck, Rainbow Dash could feel her strength dissipating. Her injuries became more and more painful, and her limbs lost almost all feeling. She reached to pull the thing off her neck, but a smack from Blueblood knocked her over.

“Ah ah, mustn’t touch. That needs to stay there until my plan is complete. Guards!” there was the sound of a door opening and three unicorns, dressed in the dark armor of Luna’s Night Guard, entered and surrounded Rainbow Dash. Like the Ursa, their eyes were dull and glowed slightly, and Rainbow allowed a small gasp to slip past her lips.

“The Summer Sun Celebration is tomorrow, as you probably know, and these three guards have lent their services to my plan. Pity Princess Celestia won’t be able to see it, as she’ll be busy with her preparations... Oh wait, she will see it, just before one of her precious sister’s guards blasts her from the sky.”

“You... you can’t...”

“Oh, I believe I can. There should be enough Kryptonite in that necklace to kill you, but not enough so you die before you can see me rise to the throne of Equestria.” Blueblood turned to two of the guards. “Take her to Ghastly Gorge and make sure she stays there. Kill anything that approaches.”

“Yes, general.” the two guards said before grabbing Rainbow Dash in their telekinesis.

“Farewell Kara Jor-El. Your time as Equestria’s defender has ended. I suppose I should thank you for disposing of that mare Trixie for me, but I'm on a tight schedule and need to finish planning Princess Celestia's assassination.” Rainbow Dash could only watch as the guards dragged her out of the Archives and away from General Zod.

.................

The guards had found a large ravine in Ghastly Gorge to pitch Rainbow Dash in, the Pegasus tumbling down the sides of the ravine as she fell and tangling herself up in her cape. When she reached the bottom, she struggled to get back up, reaching for the necklace to restore her powers. The guards had anticipated this, and soon a large rock had been placed on Rainbow Dash, pinning her to the ground and leaving only her head and neck exposed.

I can’t just lie here and let that... that bastard win. Rainbow Dash thought, trying to move a little beneath the rock. I’m Equestria’s protector. Princess Celestia needs my help. I... I...

I need help.

Rainbow Dash stopped struggling and looked up at the sky. She could feel the Kryptonite seeping into her system, slowly killing her. A small tear slid down her face, but she ignored it.

If there’s somepony there... I need help... Anypony...

Author's Note:

I'm not overly fond of this chapter; not enough foreshadowing beforehand, and too rushed
I don't own ponies or Superman; Likes and comments are appreciated, and if I screwed something up please let me know.