• Published 18th Dec 2020
  • 1,532 Views, 13 Comments

Let It Grow - themoontonite



Take some time to rest and behold the splendor of love.

  • ...
8
 13
 1,532

Two Sides, Same Coin

How, then, did you see me? Through the forest, in the depths of the orchard where I was couched, waiting for love to pass over me like a summer rain; how did you find your way to my heart? And why, then, did you tend to it as you did? Do you know what you’ve done to me? The lover you’ve made with your words, the painful nights yearning for the sweet honey apple of your touch?

But. But! I digress. I divert, indeed, all my focus now to you, lying cupped in the dappled shade of an apple tree. I slump ragged against a red delicious and you spring from your chair, towel and water clasped in your magic. I don’t have time to move, to defend myself from the immovable force of your love. I barely have time to thank you before it catches me again and I’m humbled by your beauty.

You humble me further still by stealing my line, pushing my hat up as you whisper out an affirmation of your affection. The wind steals it but not before I can hold it in my heart, another mark upon that sturdy drum that beats out a tempo for the earth. Now, in this moment, it beats only for you as our bodies hang delicate in the balance of a universe made just for us. I swear your lips are upon me before we touch, the taste of rose preceding the soft embrace that I lean into. It makes the work worth it.

Indeed, it makes every foolish moment leading up to this worth it. Every word out of place, every petty disagreement, every clash of personality was worth suffering through if it meant one kiss from you. One love so pure, so foundational to the world that it may as well be the earth I walk upon. Your love is a scaffold and I the barnraiser. I couldn’t be without you but with you being is easy. The lightness you move with is lent and I borrow freely, carrying myself prouder still because of such a love.

I’ll carry us both if it comes to it.


I did not know the earth when I was born. I suppose we were all shaped from it in one way or the other, but my connection to it has always been tenuous at best. I am thought and magic and light, you are dirt and sun and sweat and this makes you unknowable to me. That which is unknowable is the most easily coveted, a prize to capture or a puzzle to solve. So imagine my surprise when I seek to know you and you open, yielding all and hiding naught from the light of my heart.

It was disarming! What was I meant to do? I came prepared for a battle, to tangle myself in the strings of your soul and struggle against the insurmountable strength of your spirit. To say you yielded would imply a need to give ground. I stood on the step of your door and you welcomed me inward, ushering me towards the warmth of your hearth.

Still, our natures are opposed and it is in this opposition I found the struggle I had been seeking. It is a comfort in a way; a consistency in a life increasingly devoid of such. I could count on you to have a mind whose thoughts and feelings sat across mine and I could count on you to speak those thoughts and feelings, make real the doubts that sit within myself so I may truly dispel them. I rely on you, in a way. We are that which the other is not.

Is this not the foundation of love?