• Published 4th Jan 2021
  • 3,640 Views, 968 Comments

Era of Harmony - Gambling_Sam



3 brothers find themselves in equestria, fate takes over from there.

  • ...
16
 968
 3,640

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 70: Steps towards freedom

*Ronin POV*

I turned to face my...Grandfather after he had mentioned Eureka, releasing what I would pretty much call family at this point from my arms as I looked him in the eyes while slowly standing.

"What do you mean by enter Eureka?" I asked him as he pointed at me and Chrysalis.

"You must know of this place by now, considering you have it hard-wired to your mind alongside the hive?" He asked as I nodded in confirmation, allowing him to continue. "Good, then all we need to do is simply sit in a circle and have our souls.
sent to this realm as well."

Celestia frowned at this. "Soul magic? You do know that is an illegal practice here, Callobrim." She said as the old timer waved her off.

"Princess, the fate of my grandson, two foals, and the world are at stake. I doubt your laws hold up to that." He said as he looked to Chrysalis. "Now, how do you suppose we go to your peoples mental realm?"

Chrysalis sighed before answering. "There is a spell changeling royals learn that allows them to enter Eureka, though it was usually used so we could punish changelings by torturing their minds and souls if the act of treason was ever committed." Everyone but Callobrim grimaced at that, the idea of that sort of torture not pleasing in the least. "However, for it to work, any participant must be connected to the anchor of the spell, which in this case would be Ronin." She said as I turned to my lover and raised an eyebrow.

"Me? Why?" I asked her as she chuckled.

"Because if we are talking about bonds, then no one on this room could travel with you except Tak and myself if I was the anchor, but since mostly everyone present is bonded with you in some shape or form your the better candidate."

Tak turned to Scootaloo, who had been watching from the side and gave her a smile.

"That means you can't come with us, since you don't have any bonds with Ronin." He said, making her frown.

"What?! That's stupid!" She said, but didn't argue the point as Luna spoke up.

"I, too, am unable to join you then. Even if we wanted to see this world with my own eyes." She said, muttering the last part as Raiden wrapped an arm around her and looked at Callobrim.

"So that leaves me, Ronin, Grandfather, Celestia, Chrysalis and Tak. Scootaloo and Axel will stay behind and make sure our bodies are safe while we travel and-" He stopped as I raised a hand and turned back to Chrysalis.

"Your not going."

In an instant, Chrysalis was glaring a hole in my body.

"Like Tartarus I'm not. Your not leaving me behind while you go to fight a God!" She yelled as she marched up to me, eyeing me down as I sighed.

"Yeah yeah, the 'I may die speech'. But there's somewhere that needs you more than me, and that's Griffonia." I told her as she growled and swatted my legs with her tail.

"Ronin, I know I may have sounded like I wanted to do that before, but that was the old part of me talking! I can't rule a kingdom, not while rebuilding my own people AND having a herd as well!" She exclaimed as I felt a storm of emotions going off inside her, from worry to anger to fear.

I cupped her cheek in my right hand and smiled, hoping to calm her down as I stared into her shining emerald eyes. "Then find a worthy ruler, amd force them to accept him or her. Besides, if things go south, the changelings need you more than-"

smack!

I slammed into the wall behind me from the blow as I felt my left cheek burn like hell. Chrysalis hitting me before was nothing new, but this hurt way more than it usually did.

Ronin!" Twilight exclaimed in shock as she went to go to my side but was blocked by Taks hoof and a shake of his head

"Chrysalis?! What the hell?" Raiden yelled, but she ignored them both and stepped towards me.

"How...Dare...You!" She spat, glaring daggers at me. "You are no less important than I or any other person or pony in this room!" She stated as she moved forward quickly and hugged me, nestling her head into my neck. "We wouldn't be here without you, Ronin. So please...don't die on me today."

I wrapped my arms around her as I felt that same warm and full feeling I always get whenever I'm near her, feeling my hands go through her soft mane as her breath bristled my neck. "Trust me, I plan on coming back and putting a baby in EVERY one of my herdmates once this is over, but for now I'll simply make sure Tak doesn't die either, alright?"

I felt her nod as I looked around at everyone. Twilight was blushing hard, probably from the baby comment that doesn't yet apply to her, Raiden was still holding Luna, but was giving me a slightly annoyed stare for some reason. Tak was smiling at us, though I noticed Scootaloo had rested her head on his shoulder as she nuzzled his neck, an easy task considering he was a head taller than her.

Celestia looked from me to Callobrim before tilting her head in a way that was totally not adorable.

"I understand everyone else's roles with Ronin, but how am I connected to him? The one thing we could've had ended before it began." She said as Callobrim frowned.

"Really? I'm suprised. In my visions of this future, Ronin married you and Chrysalis together." He said, causing me to roll my eyes as Celestia and Chrysalis's eyes widened in shock.

Then Raiden spoke up, bearing a slightly smug grin that I've grown to hate when he has it, for it always leads to me getting an earful from someone.

"Well, he may not have bonded with CELESTIA, but what about her nightmare?" He said as Celestia paled slightly, causing Luna to smirk.

"My consort is right, sister. Ronin may not have had a real bond with you, but he sure had several "bonding" moments with Daybreaker, and you shared the same body!" She said, causing Callobrim to look at me in horror.

"You...slept with Celestias nightmare? Multiple times?!" He said as I shrugged while Chrysalis pulled herself from me and turned to him.

"Once was in public too, with all the guards and our herd to see and participate with." She said, making Celestia go beet red as she imagined what had occured while she was locked away mentally while Callobrim was left speechless. "Nonetheless, it was done in her body, regardless of who was in control, and since Daybreaker was a part of Celestia, She will be able to transverse the mindscape."

Celestia cleared her throat and nodded. "V-Very well. We will need to be in close proximity with each other, so a close circle will probably be best."

With that said, we began to circle up. I plopped down on the ground first before frowning at Twilight as she attempted to sit down with us.

"No." I said, causing her to frown at me.

"What? Why?" She exclaimed as I shook my head.

"You almost died fighting Grimbeak, and your not even capable of casting magic right now." I suppressed a chuckle as she pouted in an adorkable way. "Besides, you need to help Chrysalis with restoring the griffon kingdom."

This made Chrysalis, who stood off to the side, snort. "I don't need any help."

I rolled my eyes. "Sure you don't, Sweetie." Turning back to Twilight I gave her a quick hug, bringing my mouth to her ear as I embraced her warm body.

"Try to get along with Chrysalis, she has a major say in you joining the herd, and I'd rather her NOT be against the idea later when we talk about it." I whispered, pulling away from her as she nodded.

"Fine, but when you get back tell me EVERYTHING!" She demanded as I gave her a wink as she stepped back, receiving a nuzzle of affection from Celestia and exchanging a couple of quiet words with her while Tak took a spot on my left and Raiden on my right. Luna stood off to the side while Celestia sat next to Raiden and Callobrim sat next to him in that order, with Callobrim and Tak closing the circle off.

Chrysalis looked to everyone and nodded. "Is everyone ready? This spell can't be stopped mid-way, and I can't cast it more than once every moon, so we have one shot." She stated as I nodded.

"All good babe!" I said, ready to go.

"Let's go find Nicholas!" Tak said as Axel tilted his head.

"And Applebloom and Diamond Tiara, right?" He said, causing Tak to chuckle.

"Yeah, them too." Tak said with a sheepish laugh as Luna rolled her eyes.

"Silly foals, but I am ready to do my part from here in the physical plane." She said as Celestia nodded.

"I am ready as well." Celestia said before shuddering slightly and giggling. "I can't help but admit that I am excited to be doing this. Its not every century one gets to go to another plane of reality."

Luna narrowed her eyes at Celestia, frowning at her sisters antics. "Tis a rescue mission, not a vacation sister."

Celestia stuck her tongue out at Luna as Callobrim chuckled. "If it was, we would be forced to eat what she calls travel snacks." This caused Celestia to glare at him.

"I told you to add water to them, Brim." She stated, making for a very amusing scene of her pouting while Callobrim shook his head and turned to Chrysalis.

"We're ready to go, Chrysalis. Send us to Eureka."

****************
Nicholas POV
****************

As I've heard Ronin say before, I'm in some deep shit.

Faust had taken us to some sort of circular platform that looked like it was in the center of space. As soon as we arrived she levitated the girls over to the side, keeping them in a golden bubble to prevent their escape while she turned to me.

"Young one, do you know why you are here?" She asked me, giving me a blank stare as I frowned at her.

"Because you kidnapped my friends and threatened to melt their fur?" I retorted, getting a chuckle from the so called God.

"My, still have some fight in you? Good, you'll need it for the Era." She said as she turned to some sort of globe thing in the middle of the room and encased it in a golden glow.

clink!

The globe opened up like an egg and a book was floated out from inside of it. The book had about the size of a school dictionary and had a symbol on the front that looked like a yin-yang symbol, but with a third part that was red.

"Before we undergo the ritual, let me tell you a story." She opened the book and started flipping through its pages. "A long time ago, An almighty being created six living beings, each one being granted a bit of his power. After doing so, he created six copies of a world he was familiar with and made those six beings in charge of their respective worlds." She pointed to herself. "I am one of those beings."

I sat there in stunned silence, attempting to piece together what she had said as she continued while looking through the pages thoroughly.

"Of course, all we were given to help us was a book, one for each of us. These books would be able to tell us exactly what to do and how the world should be ran." She sighed and turned the book around so I could see what was on the page she flipped to.

A lot of it I couldn't understand, for it was written in some sort of weird language but I could make out three words that were in English.

"Equiis...Reality...Alternator?" I said slowly as she nodded.

"Better known as the Era, It's a spell used to tap into the power the creator himself gave us. Although it can only be used once a millennia, it allows the weilder to shift the laws of reality to their command." She shook her had. "Last time I used this, I made a being of pure chaos that was SUPPOSED to change the world for the better...let's just say he's now a stone statue in Canterlot."

I shuddered slightly, the idea of being encased in stone not pleasing to say the least. "So...what does the Era spell have to do with me?" I asked her as she put a hoof on my shoulder.

"You've been chosen, boy. Your grandfather was originally going to be the one to activate the spell and plunge Equestria back to its beginnings, but he passed his magic power to you via necklace, a shame since I'm the one who gave him magic power in the first place."

I took a step back, shocked by what I was just told.

"No...that couldn't have been the reason he gave me the necklace...that was supposed to be a gift before he died!" I exclaimed as Faust laughed.

"A gift?! All he did was give you the burdens he didn't feel like carrying. All you needed to do to tap into my power was feel an surge of emotion." She said as I looked down at my hands, no longer unable to look her in the eyes.

All of this...was just because Grandpa didnt want to deal with his own past? Does this have to do with Christine and Dadiolus too? I pondered as I clenched my fists and looked back up at Faust.

"Even if that's true, why would I help you reset Equestria? What's the point of doing that anyway?!" I yelled, pointing a finger at her as I gave her my best glare.

Unfazed, Faust simply turned away from me, looking at what looked like a small cabinet nearby. While she was distracted I peeked over at the girls.

Applebloom was currently trying to buck the bubble open, though the bubble wasn't much bigger than them, so she wasn't doing to food on that prospect. Diamond Tiara looked straight at me, worry in her eyes as she tried to speak to me, but it seemed whatever sounds they made were being nullified by the prison they were in.

"Equiis is tainted." Faust states, returning my gaze to her. "Over the years, Equestria and its people have slowly been moving from the balanced world that its supposed to be. More citizens are slowly acting more and more selfish as time passes, and the nation's all seem to rely purely on themselves, none of them attempting to reach out to another and help them in their times of need." She turned back to me, her gaze deadly serious. "Nicholas, I was tasked with watching over this world, and if I must reset it's clock to fix its sins, then I shall do so."

I frowned, not liking this at all."Faust, you can't expect everyone to get along at all times. People are going to go through their rough patches." I said, remembering when Ronin and the changelings were against Equestria. "Sometimes people think they are doing what's right, even if it hurts others in the process. If I've learned anything while being here its that life won't go perfectly, and to try and make it so only makes you a fool with a god complex."

Faust sneered. "Bold words to be said to an actual God." Her horn began to glow as she stepped towards me, making me take a step back in fear. "I've forestalled this event long enough. It's time for a new Era, and your going to be the harbinger of it."

I clenched my fists, worried about what she was going to say next. "And if I refuse?"

She tilts her horn towards the girls, who were both now watching what was happening between us. "Then I will kill the yellow mare first...as slowly as possible. And the white filly will be handed over to Tarus for him to...experiment with."

I sighed as she closed the distance between us, carrying a smug grin the whole time. "Figured that would be your answer." I said, relenting to whatever she had in store for me, as long as the girls were safe.

I lowered my head as her horn made contact with it, feeling a wave of magic flow through my body as I felt like I was falling asleep.

Ronin...Raiden... I thought as I slowly fell into a deep slumber, my body falling to the floor to the horror of the girls watching nearby.

Save us...please.

*******************
Chrysalis POV
*******************

Looking around at everyone in the circle I began to charge my horn.

"Now, a couple of things to remember while in Eureka. First, any injuries you get in another realm will stay with your body here, so NO dying!" I stated heavily, making sure Ronin was looking at me when I said that. "Second, the only objects you will have when you arrive is what you have with you on your person now."

I noticed Axel walk over and grab Ronins sword from the other side of the room and hand it over to him, much to Callobrims suprise as he eyed the blade carefully.

"Your gonna need this boss if you want to save our friends." He said with a wink as Ronin nodded.

"True enough, Axel. Thanks!" Axel stepped back with a proud expression as I smiled at the interaction.

"And lastly, be careful. Eureka is more than simply the hive mind. It also carries our deepest thoughts and fears as well, so you may run into some... dangerous things there." I finished as Raiden frowned.

"Things? What Things?" He asked, but the spell was complete.

"No time! Now go, and find Nicholas and his friends!" I exclaimed as I fired the spell, putting a green aura over all of them as all their eyes began to glow the same color as the spell.

Feeling a tad bit woozy from the aftershock of the spell, I glanced over at who was all left to see what they were doing while I recovered.

Axel was now currently talking to Scootaloo, informing her about the specifics of the spell. Twilight seemed to be taking her fifth set of notes on the process, even with her having to write with her mouth instead of with magic.

Luna, however, approached me with a stern gaze.

"Thou is sure Raiden and the others will be safe?" She asked me as I snorted.

"We are changelings, princess. Nothing is safe with us." Her gaze became a glare as I rolled my eyes. "As Ronin would say right now, chill out. Would I send my future husband into Eureka if I wasn't sure he'd come back?"

This got her to sigh and stop her glaring. "...Your right. I'm simply worried for their safety after all."

I shrugged as I noticed the purple unicorn approach us. "Nothing wrong with worrying about your consort. Mine makes me worry day in and day out so I understand the feeling all too well." I looked to Twilight and frowned. "Yes?"

Twilight gave a sheepish smile. "Well...I was hoping to get some questions answered about changelings from you, if you want to answer them?" She asked, slightly hesitantly as I sensed Ronin shenanigans with why she was approaching me with this topic.

Very well, I can play these games.

I turned away and motioned for her to follow. "Come, Twilight. I have to go clean up Ronins mess in Griffonia, so we might as well walk and talk." I said before looking to Luna, a hint of worry grazing my features. "Watch over them, please."

Luna nodded. "Of course. Nothing shall hurt neither your or my consort!" She said as she turned and began to watch over the circle of people I had either grown to love...or at the least tolerate.

I smiled to myself at the assurance of their safety and began walking down into the hive with Twilight trotting alongside me, bursting at the seems with questions.

"So, how long have you been a queen of the hive?" She asked me as I scoffed.

"Over six hundred years, and I've been alive for almost that long too." I stated with pride as Twilight nodded, absorbing the information like a sponge. She had left her notes behind due to not being able to use magic from her busted horn.

"Really?! Your younger than I thought you were." A quick gaze from me sends her into recoil. "N-Not that I thought you were old or any-"

I held up a hoof to stop her as we made it to the main room of the hive and were outside the cavern that lead to the portal room. "Stop. I know what you meant." We began to enter the cavern, though now there was an awkward silence between us.

As much as I would like to leave her with some changeling and go to Griffonia there is something I need to get off my chest... I thought as we entered the portal room.

"Twilight." I stated, making her look up at me. "Why did you help Ronin? At that point, you knew he had been an enemy of your country at one point and had pony blood on his hands. What made you look past that and assist in his homecoming?"

Twilight sighed, and then answered. "At first, I wasn't happy about being there with him. I helped him in the trial, but that was for Pinkie Pie and Redheart, nothing more. But as we ventured in Griffonia, I slowly grew to understand the man behind the blade...and grew to love him too." She blushed as I felt a surge of love from her for a moment as she recalled whatever moment they had in Griffonia. "Ronin showed me that not everything is black and white, and managed to save a kingdom and many lives while doing it." Her gaze became focused as she took a deep breath. "We may not be on the same page, Chrysalis, But I am willing to do anything to earn my spot in the herd. I'm not wasting thia chance I have."

She looked away at the portal as she sighed, a small wave of sadness flowing out of her. "I'm not wasting my only chance." She muttered to herself quietly, barely loud enough for me to hear.

I frowned, not expecting such powerful emotions this early into her infatuation with Ronin. Almost without thinking, I put a hoof on her shoulder as she looked up at me, slightly suprised at the contact.

"You really do care for Ronin...Tell me. what do you like most about him?" I asked her, removing my hoof from her body as we approached the portal.

"Honestly, one of his biggest strengths in my eyes is his personality." Twilight said with a smile. "He tries to act like such a tough guy, but he's really just a kind person underneath the armour, and I can't help but like that about him."

Seeing her smile I smirk, seeing a chance to mess with her a bit. "Must help that he's got the body of a muscular minotaur without any of their kinds negative traits?"

Twilight nods dreamily, probably thinking back now on what Ronin looked like naked. "It does! How big his arms are and how they feel just suffocate you against their succulent..." She trails off slightly before snapping out it and looking up at me with a frown. "Hey! That wasn't funny!"

I cackle, surprised with how I'm actually enjoying talking with her. "But it was!" This causes her to pout slightly, making the scene even funnier. "I'm only messing with you, Twilight. But at least now I know your thoughts on our herdmate."

Twilight laughs sheepishly before blinking in suprise as she looks up at me quickly. "Did you just say our?!"

I rolled my eyes at her reaction and jumped down into the portal hole, feeling the wave of black hit my eyes as I felt the teleportation spell work its magic. As it cleared, I found myself on the near top of what seemed to be a giant tree.

Seconds later, another flash goes off and Twilight is next to me, though she's looking at me intently as she appears.

"Chrysalis, what did you mean by our?" She asked as I felt a surge of hopeful emotion from her, causing me to smile.

"I'll admit, I was very hesitant about you joining the herd. But so far I have felt nothing but honest emotions from you regarding Ronin. Keep it up and you may just get to be with him yet." I told her as I spotted several tents outside the walls of what must be this kingdoms castle and began to walk towards them.

One loud squee and a hopping for joy unicorn later and we found ourselves outside a tent where Pinkie had ended up bringing Redheart and her parents. They were looking over what looked like several medical stretchers that laid in the tent, each one had either an injured griffon, changeling, or...

...one really metal looking bird, though it wasn't moving and had a tarp over half of its body.

Pinkie was the first to notice our approach, and pronked over to us in her usual fashion. "Hiya Chrysi! How are things with Ronin?"

"Ronin and the others are currently trying to save young Nicholas as we speak." I informed her as she grinned.

"Neato! The sooner they save him, the sooner I can throw a happily ever after party!" She exclaimed as Redheart walked over to us alongside her father while Opal stayed behind to tend to the patients.

"Oh, you brought Twilight? I figured she would be helping the others." She asked as Twilight groaned and pointed to her stub.

"Sadly, horn damage kinda makes it hard to do anything meaningful. I would be a liability if I went with them." She said before perking up. "So, I came to help Chrysalis with fixing up Griffonia."

Grazier chuckled as he gave me a look. "I still don't feel right about her attempting to rule over us. My people aren't going to like that very much."

I rolled my eyes, not liking the attitude but I could understand where hes coming from.

"Relax, I'm not trying to rule this...kingdom anyway. I'm simply here to help find someone who can." I stated as Grazier frowned.

"Really? Even if Ronin was so gung-ho about you having the job?" He asked, seemingly suprised at me turning down the offer.

I shrugged. "I have my people to repopulate, and a family to look after. I have no time to flaunt my stuff in another land." I stated as Twilight tapped her chin in thought.

"Since that's the case, we need to find a worthy candidate." She turned to Grazier. "Back when you and the others came through the portal before you said Griffons wouldn't listen to anyone other than their kind, and even then Greed usually takes priority over anything else."

Grazier nodded as he crossed his arms. "Yeah, griffons aren't the best role models, so what?" He asked as Twilight smiled, her eyes gleaming the way ones do when a plan is being formed.

"We need someone who is a griffon and has enough knowledge of their kind to be able to subvert this weakness and use it for the good of Griffonia." She stated, making Grazier frown as he sighed.

"Like who? Most Griffons don't care about this country anymore, and you'd be hard pressed to find one who remembers how we used to be." He stated as he put a claw to his chest and another on a box Pinkie slid near him, striking a patriotic pose. "We need a griffon who possesses both patriotism to our country and can look past his greedy nature for the good of his brethren...no, for the good of the world!"

We all exchanged glances as he did this, a knowing smile appearing on both Twilights and my faces while Pinkie smiled big and Redheart face-hooved as I cleared my throat, making him look at me.

"So...that would be you then?" I stated, making him squawk in shook as his plumage puffed up in suprise.

"W-W-What?! Me?! No No No No No, I can't rule a kingdom!" He exclaimed in shock as Redheart turned to Twilight.

"How would you guys even set that up anyway? Isn't there a royal bloodline?" She asked Twilight as Twilight went to answer.

"That's not going to be an option anymore."

Everyone turned to the new voice, only for it to be that same griffon from Canterlot that Ronin had been with during his time in jail.

"Gilda! Your OK!" Twilight exclaimed as she looked over the injured Griffon, no doubt from the fight that occured here. She had many bandages wrapped around her stomach area and was using her mace as a crutch while she walked around on her hind legs.

"I'm alive, not ok." She said in an emotionally empty tone as she turned and faced me. "I overheard your yapping about my homes future, and I hate to say it but the last of the pure bloodline is laying in that tent dead."

The mechanized bird I saw earlier. I thought as I felt a wave of guilt and sorrow from the griffon female, though it was suprisingly well concealed. Grazier turned to her, a neutral expression on his own face.

"Tell me, that Meckon you fought...he was the grandson of the late king. wasn't he?" He asked her softly. Gilda nodded as Pinkie hopped over to her, giving the bird a hug.

"W-What are you doing?!" Gilda exclaimed as Pinkie squeezed her body softly while looking straight up at the bird.

"Helping you feel better, silly. Everyone who fought today needs all the help they can get. " Pinkie stated before she let go of the griffon and gasped. "OH! I need to go give out goodie bags to everyone who helped!"

With that, the bountiful source of energy sped off into a tent nearby, nearly bowling over several changelings in the process. Redheart groaned and turned to me.

"I'll go make sure she doesn't scare anyone to death while you figure out this royal mess we're in." She said as she began to stomp after Pinkie. "First it was the cake twins, then Rainbow dash and her wing, now this..."

Knowing not to piss off Redheart when it came to medical stuff, I let that go and turned to Grazier and the others.

"With that prince gone, and Ronin being veeeeery incapable of ruling a kingdom like this one, I only see Grazier as a current successor." I said as I turned to Gilda with a intrigued stare. "Unless you know anyone else who would actually help this country prosper."

Gilda snorted. "I definitely dont, but Please, almost everyone here fears the name Redheart, so Grazier is well known...though that's mostly because of Madame Opal though."

Twilight and I shared a glance before turning back to Gilda. "Madame?"

Gilda nodded, while Grazier seemed more...nervous now. "You mean you didn't know everyone's scared of Opal? The lady almost killed like five griffons when they arrived a while ago."

I slowly turned to look at Grazier while Twilights face paled.

"What?! Why would she do that?" She exclaimed as Grazier shook his head while pinching the spot between his eyes in frustration.

"It's pretty much like the jail syndrome. you get in jail, and while your there you kick the flank of the toughest guy to keep everyone else off your back. But my wife took it to defcon eleven and put her hooves on a group of gangbangers in the streets." He recollected while I found myself laughing.

"Ha! I knew I sensed something great with this family!" I exclaimed as I calmed myself down. "But back to business, I think I know how we can get Grazier on the track to being a king." I finished, looking to Twilight with a predatory smile as Grazier and Gilda frowned.

"How so?" He stated as Twilights eyes widened and she turned to him with a big smile on his face.

"I could teach you about royalty! I've been around Celestia for years, and whatever I don't know Chrysalis can fill me in on!" She did a little dance with her hooves. "Oh! I get to teach somepony something!"

Gilda looked between the two of us before shaking her head. "This plan reeks of pony idiocy...and that's what's probably going to make it work too. I'll help out where I can." She said as Grazier kept his freaked out gaze on me as he spoke up.

"But how am I supposed to rule? With no bloodline capable of taking the spot, any griffon could try to take the position from me for themselves." He said as I nodded.

"Figured that would be an issue, considering changelings are similar with their hives." I said as Twilight nodded.

"Besides, I've seen you on the battlefield, and your quite capable of defending yourself." She stated as Grazier sighed in defeat.

"Very well, if there is no one else capable for the job, then I shall step up for the sake of my homeland and its people." He said, earning a smile from Gilda and I and a squee of happiness from Twilight.

Seems like things may not be so hard after all.

**************
Ronin POV
**************

When the green light faded, We found ourselves in the familiar dark caverns I had been to several times before. Standing up, I noticed my old sword was still in my hand, meaning what Chrysalis had said about objects coming with us was true.

"So, this is the changelings sacred realm?" Callobrim said as everyone collected themselves.

Celestia looked around, in awe of her surroundings as her eyes followed the glowing green veins in the walls around us. "Those lights...what are they?"

I looked closely at them, noticing the veins seemed to pulse every once in a while.

"Must be some sort of energy." I stated as Raiden went to touch them, but had his claws slapped away by Tak.

"Don't touch them! This is the magic flow that gives us our power! You mess with that, and we might not ever leave." He stated, causing everyone to look at him in shock.

"This is where you draw your magic from?" Celestia said as Tak nodded.

"Of course. Love may be our food source, but all changelings are connected through this realm, and the love we collect either becomes food or gets transfered into magic energy here." He shuddered slightly. "This also means we are connected with every changeling in the hive, so try not to say anything you don't want repeated."

Callobrim nodded. "Fascinating. Even after all these years I learn something new." He looked around, noticing several dark entrances to the deeper parts of this place. "So, where do we go, young one? You seem to know a lot about this place."

Tak smiled. "Of course. It was the second thing mother taught me after I was done being a larvae." He pointed to the eastern cavern and began to walk that way. "This way."

As we followed him, Raiden started to walk beside me.

"Sup?" I asked him, noticing his serious expression as Callobrim and Celestia walked by, the old coot asking Tak about more info pertaining Eureka while Celestia listened to the two of them talk.

"When did you and Twilight become a thing?" He asked, almost making me pause with the suprising amount of varied emotion coming from him.

"As I said before, in Griffonia." He sighed as I frowned. "You can't possibly be upset with me about this."

We turn a corner as Raiden answers me. "I'm not upset...just slightly agitated."

I gave him a raised eyebrow. "Why? Because you couldn't get off your lazy ass and ask her first? Or because you finally decided to give Twilight a chance only to find out it was too late."

Raiden huffed, clearly not liking the jab. "Twilight said she was alright waiting for me to make up my mind, and then she accidently goes to Griffonia with you and you end up wooing her." He frowns. "I thought you didn't even like Twilight."

I roll my eyes, starting to get annoyed with his thought processing. "Ok, dumbass. In what world does leading a girl on feel like a smart move?"

Raiden looked confused. "What? I didn't lead her on!"

"Really? I heard about yow two dancing from Pinkie while I was dealing with drunk royalty at the canterlot party, not to mention you lived with her for two months as well." I stated firmly as he shrugged.

"And what? I actually liked her. How does that translate to leading her on?" He asked as I face-palmed.

"Raiden, your a bigger idiot than I am, and that's saying something. After all this time of you saying you like her and telling her you'd think about it, did you actually EVER attempt to include her, or even take her out somewhere?"

Raiden chuckled. "You haven't taken Pinkie or Chrysalis out yet." He said as I waved him off.

"But I also spent most of my free time with them as well. And if you haven't noticed, IVE BEEN BUSY CLEANING UP OTHER PEOPLES MESSES!" I yelled the last part, making everyone ahead of us turn to us, though Raiden was starting to get pissed.

"Other people's messes?! No one asked you to go play hero, asshole!" Raiden yelled back as Celestia and the others approached us.

"Why are you two-" I cut her off, getting in Raidens face as I growled.

"Oh, big words coming from the guy who finds himself a dragon. Bet you wouldn't be as bold without those scales, brother." I taunted as he seethed with rage.

"That's rich coming from the guy who had to kill innocent ponies to get his powers." He snarled as Callobrim gasped and got between us.

"Stop it, you two! This is NOT the time for you to be fighting! We need to save Nicholas!" He exclaimed, but was pushed back by both of us as I gripped my sword.

"You know what? Your wrong old timer! For the last two months since we arrived on this planet Raidens been on my ass for everything!" I took a few steps back and pointed my blade at him. "It's about time he remembered who's the oldest of the three of us."

Raide scoffed and took the same steps back as well, summoning his axes as he glared at me.

"Age doesn't mean wisdom, Ronin. And you complain about me tearing into you?" He points one axe at me and swings the other over his shoulder. "Then stop making stupid decisions."

I smile, knowing exactly what to say in response. "So, sweeping Twilight off her feet was a stupid decision then in your eyes? Damn, with that sort of thinking ability its no wonder she decided to go with me instead."

That did it. Raiden roared and charges forward, swinging his axes in a circular motion as he did so. Thankfully, I was weilding my older blade, so I was able to one hand the sword while deflecting the several swings he threw out as he pushed me back with each one.

Just as my backside was about to hit the wall Raiden spread his wings and flew back several yards as he took a deep breath and released his fire breath.

"Shit!" I exclaimed as I summoned my metal wings and put them in front of me, blocking the flames as I felt the temperature around me begin to rise. After a couple seconds the flames died, but as I parted the wings I noticed too late Raiden had closed the distance between us.

One swift knee to my right side sent me flying leftwards across the hall. I sit up as he lands on his feet and smiles at me.

"Not so tough now when fighting someone on your level, huh?" He states as I get up and put my sword in the ground, feeling my anger start to boil over. "What? Your not gonna use your sword? My scales are tough as nails, bro." He shook his head, clearly trying to get on my nerves further. "Damn, what does Twilight even see in you?"

That was the last straw. I was tired of hearing him talk down me and speak about Twilight as some sort of trophy rather than a mare. As he continued talking everything in my vision was beginning to go red while I was slowly getting taller.

"What in Tartarus?" Celestia said as she and the others looked on, though while Callobrim looked just as shocked Tak looked excited.

"Ooh! I've heard talk of this through the hivemind. Melfesia created this form of his from all the darkness he had inside of him. Mom and Queen Redheart defeated this form, but Ronins been able to tap into it several times since then when he gets...angry." Tak informed the two as Callobrim shook his head.

"Raiden! You can't fight that thing! Calm Ronin down now!" He yelled out to Raiden, who turned and faced the three of them.

"What, he's just getting bigger, that's all." He said as I finished the transformation behind his back.

"Are you sure about that, Raiden?" Celestia deadpanned as Raiden gulped and slowly turned around before letting out a very manly squeal and falling backwards.

"W-What the hell is that?!" He said he eyed the being of pure rage in front of him.

"Nows not the time for questions, snap him out of it before he snaps you in two!" Callobrim yelled as Raiden got up and took a deep breath.

"R-Ronin...I want to-" He barely even started apologizing due to a tentacle fist smashing into his gut and launching him across the room and over by Callobrim.

"You really expect me to listen to anything you say? You left Twilight in the dust while you frolicked with Luna. You have NO right to snap at me about making her a part of my herd." I ran forward at breakneck speeds only to be stopped by a shining bubble shield around him. I turned and saw Celestias horn glowing as she took a step forward.

"Ronin. I understand hateful things were said, and you want nothing more than to defend Twilight and yourself, but this isn't the time nor the place. We need to save Nicholas and stop Faust, not fight amongst ourselves."

I felt my whole head twitch as my eye sockets blinked...somehow. "Why do you think I am here? I was trying to save Nicholas, then this idiot began interrogating me about Twilight!" I roared as Callobrim walked up to me slowly with his hands up.

"Relax, boy. We need to focus on the task at hand. We can settle any problems you two have AFTER the mission, ok? We don't need you two hurt before we face Faust." He calmly told me as I sighed, producing a long guttural sound.

"Your right...Just as long as he stops with the petty remarks." I stated, getting a sigh from Raiden as he looked up at me while slowly standing up.

"Crap...man, I'm sorry." He said as he grimaced. "I just saw you two interacting earlier and...I don't know...felt cheated." He shook his head. "But that's dumb to think like that, considering that I should be lucky I even have Luna."

Tak walked over and began circling me. "So this is the form that I've heard whispers of...it definitely fits that old nickname Volt gave you so long ago."

I frowned. "You mean that Thanatos crap?"

Callobrim looked to Tak. "He was called the being of death by another? Why?"

Tak waved him off with a hoof. "It was while Ronin was against Equestria, but that's behind us. What matters is why you haven't reverted back if you've calmed down."

That...was a good point. Why hadn't I returned to my normal form yet? Up until now its usually only lasted until I was no longer angry, but for some reason everything was still red.

"I might have an idea of why he hasn't changed back." Celestia said as she looked me over and shuddered slightly. "This form was made here in the mindspace, right?"

I nodded. "Yeah, in the core of my part of it."

Celestia looked around before turning back to me. "And now we are back where it was made. Could it be possible you simply will stay in that form until we awaken back in ponyville?"

Callobrim sighed. "If that's the case, then I have mixed feelings about it."

Tak nodded. "I agree. While it's true Ronin is stronger in this form..."

"He also has less control over his actions and emotions." Raiden finished as I shrugged.

"Oh well, considering our enemy we're probably gonna need this form anyway, and considering she has Nicholas, I would have transformed into this later no matter what."

"Then we continue for the end of the path then." Celestia said as her, Callobrim and Tak continued walking the tunnel. Raiden went to follow them but stopped and turned to me, his face masked with regret.

"Ronin...I truly am sorry, bro. I don't know why I was so upset over that." He said as I walked past him and smiled, showing off some jagged canines to him.

"Relax, I would've been worse if the roles would've been reversed." I said, perking him up as he hovered next to me while we walked. "Besides, the old fart is right. We need to stick together to save our little bro."

"Yeah...Do you think he's ok?" He asked me, causing me to frown.

"Between you and me, I'm worried." I admitted, making Raiden blink in suprise.

"You? Worried?" He said as I rolled eyes.

"Yeah yeah, I know. But knowing Faust took those kids with him means she'll use them as leverage, meaning Nicholas will do whatever she asks of him."

Raiden growled. "Crap, I hadn't thought of that. We better hurry then."

"Yeah." I stop him for a second and look him in the eyes, deadly serious all of a sudden. "But we ARE settling this later though. You don't pick a fight with a guy and not finish the fight, aight."

Raiden gulped, but nodded as we caught up with the others.

For the rest of the walk, things weren't to crazy. About halfway through, We ran into what looked like a ghost changeling. It spooked everyone except Tak and he explained to us that changelings using the hive mind would look like that to us.

So yeah, the closer we got to the edge the more changelings we saw. Apparently they had learned of our plans and were there for 'moral support'. Honestly, it was more unsettling and even Tak was finding it to be a bit creepy.

But after about twenty minutes of walking through the wave of hive members, we came face to face with a door that had one of those balance things they use to see what heavier engraved on it.

Callobrim stepped forward and turned to face everyone, a serious look in his eyes as he cleared his throat.

"Alright. Beyond this door stands the empty realm of the Aether. Not much is known about it, other than its a place older than space itself." He said as Celestia took place next to him.

"Faust and Nicholas will be on the other side of this door. No matter what happens, we must stand firm. We CANNOT lose this fight." She said as Tak nodded.

"Indeed. We have come so far as people, pony, and changeling alike just to falter here. We will save our friends, and make sure Faust learns to never come near us again."

Raiden clenched his claws as he took a deep breath. "That woman will pay for taking Nicholas and those girls." He turned to me. "Alright, Ronin. What do you think? You ready to open up a can of whoop-ass on the Aether?"

I chuckled and let out a big roar, making Celestia and Tak wince while Raiden joined in and Callobrim laughed loudly.

"Lets do this!!" I exclaimed, ready to fight as Callobrim nodded, a smile on his face as he turned to the door.

"Good." He stated as he pushed on the door, letting it open slowly as we began to go through. "Come, everyone. Destiny awaits."

Author's Note:

Ta da! One step closer to the end of the tale!

Ronin and the others have reached the Aether gate and will now cross over to meet Faust on the other side...but what of Nicholas?

Chrysalis is now in charge of helping Grazier learn how to be king, alongside Twilight and Gildas help.

Get ready though, for everything comes to a close on the next and final chapter of this story!

p.s: This took a bit longer to post, but it was mostly because of Thanksgiving and me wanting this to be as good as possible. I went back and fixed 50 errors, people! 50! I counted!

PreviousChapters Next