• Published 4th Jan 2021
  • 3,647 Views, 968 Comments

Era of Harmony - Gambling_Sam



3 brothers find themselves in equestria, fate takes over from there.

  • ...
16
 968
 3,647

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21: A romantic rivalry and a renewed purpose

*Nicholas POV*

Well, this sucks. Was the first thought to come to me as I stared at the inside of the very dirty barn. Yesterday, when my brother told me to "escort" the girls home, he knew that there families would ask questions. That lead to punishments being given out like free candy. So I quickly found myself with the task of cleaning up the barn with Applebloom.

"Now, you two have got a lot ta clean, so git to it!" Applejack stated as she put some buckets with sponges in them by us before walking off to do her own chores for the day. I sighed and turned to Applebloom.

"Welp, this sucks." I stated and she groaned before walking in and scrubbing the left side of the barn wall. I grabbed a sponge and started cleaning the right wall.

"Ah know, but it coulda been worse, Nick. Be lucky that we ain't got the same punishment Sweetiebelle does. She has tah help Rarity all day instead of playin." She said and I snickered at that.

"Oh man, that's bad. I'd take barn scrubbing with you over being a mannequin for Rarity anyday." I said as Applebloom giggled in response.

For a while, there was nothing but the silence of hard work and the occasional splash of a sponge being resoaked. After a bit, though, Applebloom spoke up.

"Hey Nick." She called out. I stopped scrubbing and turned to face her.

"Yeah, what's up?" I asked her while placing my sponge in the bucket near me.

"Did ya really mean what you said earlier?" She asked me. Confused, I raised an eyebrow.

"Mean what?" I asked, unsure as to where this was going.

"When you said you'd rather stay here and help me than go to Raritys?" She asked me, though she didn't look me in the eyes.

"Well, of course I did. I don't really enjoy going to Raritys that much. Heck, the only reason I do is go there is because Sweetiebelle is there. But I honestly love coming out here to this farm. Its got some sort of feel to it that makes you feel welcome. That, and its home to one of the coolest girls I know." I said while turning back to the wall, not seeing her face turn scarlet from a blush.

She turned back to her own wall, suddenly in a way better mood and ready to clean it all the way down to the last speck.

A couple of hours later, we had finally finished cleaning the barn. Applejack decided we were off the hook "fer now" as she put it. We decided to check up on everyone else. Walking through town, we came across Sweetiebelle trying poorly to fix the mailbox from before.

"What in tarnation are ya doin?" Applebloom said as we approached. Sweetiebelle groaned as she turned to face us.

"The mailbox from yesterday was my sister's, and she wants me to put it back up." She said as I shook my head.

"How did your sisters mailbox even get into the roof of the schoolhouse?" I asked as they shrugged. Applebloom then looked like she got an idea.

"Hey Nick, I'll help Sweetiebelle with the mailbox, why don't you go and see if Tak is alright. We haven't seen him since the roof collapse." She asked me and I nodded and took off towards Ronins place.

***********
No Pov
***********

"Bye Nick!" Sweetiebelle said kinda loudly as Nicholas ran off. Applebloom turned to Sweetiebelle with a frown.

"Ya like him, don't ya?" She asks as Sweetiebelle's eyes go wide and her jaw drops.

"w-what? No I don't! We're just friends is all." She said as Applebloom stared at her, unconvinced. Sweetiebelle stood there for a while before caving. "Fine! I admit it! I think he's cute, ok! He's one of the nicest colts I've ever met! I don't care if he's not a pony, I like him for who he his." Sweetiebelle erupted as Applebloom was quick to calm him down.

"Ok, Ok! I git it! Besides, ah couldn't judge ya for liking him, cuz then ah'd be a hypocrite." Applebloom said as Sweetiebelle gasped.

"You like him too!" Sweetiebelle said excitedly, then frowned as she put two and two together. "How are we going to settle this?" They thought on that before Applebloom groaned.

"There's only one way tah settle this." She said as Sweetiebelle grinned.

"Fight to the death for his affection?" She asked and Applebloom looked at her like she was nuts.

"Are ya crazy? No!" She thought about that for a second. "We might have tah compete normally though for his love." Applebloom stated as Sweetiebelle nodded, reaching out her hoof.

"Then it's decided. You and I shall compete to see who can make Nicholas fall in love with them! The winner shall get his love for eternity!" Sweetiebelle said as Applebloom shook her hoof before leaning in with a sly smile.

"Hope ya know that ah will be usin' every trick in the apple family book to win him over." She said as she walked off, leaving a irritated Sweetiebelle.

"Please, Appebloom. My sister is a walking book about romance. I've got this in the bag!" She said as she turned to continue working on the mailbox.

**********
Nicholas POV
**********

I stood in front of the now black building with some shards sticking out of it. That queen really is building a hive here. I thought as I knocked on the door. The door opened with a tired Chrysalis appearing from it.

She looked down at me and frowned. "Oh, its midget Ronin. what do you want?" She said as she yawned. I smiled and responded.

"Well, I wanted to see Tak since we haven't seen him since the roof day." I said as she sighed, suddenly looking a bit sad.

"He is upstairs on the left, but I doubt he will talk to you. He blames himself for the accident yesterday, and I wasn't exactly the best example of consoling his fears in that regard." She said as she turned and walked into the building. I followed her in and went upstairs to find a hallway with ten doors. I went to the first one on the left and knocked.

A muffled "Go away!" came from the door. I sighed and turned the knob, finding it unlocked. I walked in to see Taks back to me balled up in a cacoon in the middle of the room.

That explains the fake name 'Cacoono' I thought as I stepped towards him. "Hey Tak. I came over to see how you are doing since we haven't seen ya since yesterday and all." I stopped moving as Tak turned to face me, a sad expression on his face.

"Nick...Yesterday, I put you and Sweetiebelle in danger by teleporting you guys onto that roof. And now Ronin, the guy who saved me a month back and has been there for me and mother all this time, is hospitalized due to my mistake!" He said as tears went down his face. "I hurt the man who is pretty much a father figure for me and almost hurt two of the beings that consider me a friend at the same time. I don't deserve to be among ponies." He finished and turned away from me, sobbing quietly. I walked up to him and pulled him into a hug.

"Listen, man. Sure you told us to go on the roof, but it's not like you forced us onto the roof or anything. We all made the choice to try and remove the mailbox, so we are all equally to blame. No one hates you for what happened, the girls miss having ya around and with the craziness that comes with this town, Ima need my brother from another mother by my side." I turned him to face me. "Ronin doesn't hate you. Heck, from what I heard, he was more upset at himself more than anything. But can I ask you something?" I finished as he nodded and wiped his eyes.

"Why did you want to remove the mailbox in the first place? It was a hazard, I get that. But why not wait until professionals arrived?" I asked as he took a deep breath and asnwered.

"I...I wanted to prove to the other ponies that changelings can be good. I've seen how some ponies react to Mom and Ronin. They think it's hilarious, but I personally am saddened every time somepony runs from us. I want what is best for my people, but its hard to do that when no one trusts you." He said as he hugged me. "That's why I take our friendship so seriously. You and the girls wanted to stay friends with me even after I showed you my true form." He finished as he let go of me and jumped off the cacoon, suddenly full of energy.

"I get it. You want to show the world that your not the monster that legends depict you as. And as long as the crusaders and I are here, we will fight that fight with you." I said as I put my fist out. He looked at it, smiled, and hoof-bumped it happily. He turned towards the door and smiled at me.

"Lets go seize the day, friend." He said and we walked out the room, the conversation (and the emotions following) not forgotten, purely cast aside for now.

**********
Ronin POV
**********

"Nurse, that stuff taste like you whizzed in it and deep fried it, I'm not drinking that again." I said as Nurse Redheart groaned angrily before arguing.

"Ronin, if you don't drink the elixer, I will show you what deep fried urine tastes like." She stated as she put the elixer up to my mouth. With no other option, I drank the disgusting liquid. After what happened yesterday with Chrysalis, Nurse Redheart decided to change my prescription to a "healthier" potion of sorts. And like all healthy based foods, it was absolutely disgusting.

After finishing the drink, I made a face and turned my head in the direction her voice was coming from. "Your a real turd, ya know that?" I said as I heard her snort in laughter and smiled. "So, how long until my blindfold comes off?" I ask as I hear her walk up to the bed.

"Well, its been over 24 hours, so lets see." She said as she removed the cloth from my eyes. I immediately hiss and scrunch my eyes closed at the exposure to light. But after a minute or two of exposure, I slowly start to see again.

I look around the room. Sure enough, there is a closet in the corner, definitely where Pinkie hid yesterday. The bed is a full size at most. considering my feet are dangling off it. My eyes then fall on the pony in the room.

She was a white coated earth mare with pink hair and a cross with hearts around it on her flank. her eyes were a dazzling sapphire blue that shined in the dimly lit room. She also is wearing a hat with the same mark on her flank printed on the hat.

"Well, helloooo nurse!" I say with a smirk. "I guess you must be the lady who has been taking care of me?" I ask as she smiles, blushing slightly.

"Yes, I was assigned to you after you were brought here by Snowheart. And I must say you are the second most frustrating patient I have had yet." She says as I frown.

"Who the heck is more stubborn than me?" I ask as she groans and strikes a mock superman pose.

"Rainbow-bucking-dash, thats who." She gets down from her hindlegged superman pose and laughs a bit before frowning. "She was in here for a broken wing a couple of months back, and she not only was stubborn while she was here, but she broke INTO the hospital to get a book she claimed to have never read or ever will read." She finished as I started cracking up with laughter.

"Oh, man thats rough. Makes my snarky comments seem like its Fluttershy in here instead of me." I say as Redheart laughs, before grabbing a clipboard.

"Now, I'm supposed to do a checklist with you to make sure your eyesight us alright. So please bear with me, Ronin." She said as I sighed.

"Always hated paperwork. Lets get this over with." I said as she started asking questions about my range of sight and giving me those exams you get if you wear glasses. After a bit, she was finished and put the clipboard away.

"See, that wasn't so bad, huh?" She said as I rolled my eyes. A question popped into my head though.

"Hey Nurse, mind if I bounce some things off ya that have been on my mind?" I asked. She nodded and took a seat in a chair near the closet.

"So, you know I'm dating Chrysalis right?" I said as she nodded with a groan.

"With what happened yesterday, I'm suprised you two aren't a married couple." She said as my eyes widened.

"Definitely not doing that soon. No need to rush into that can of worms. But what if someone is dating somebody, but there's another girl he may like at the same time. How would that person or pony handle that situation?" I ask as she smiles at me.

"Well, that's easy enough. Just start herding with them." She said like it was commen knowledge. I raised an eyebrow.

"What is herding?" I ask as her jaw drops.

"You don't know what herding is?" I shake my head. "Well, when a stallion likes more than one mare, they can start a herd by dating more than one female. But said stallion can only have up to five girls in one herd." She said while it was my turn to be shocked.

"Ok, then. That's defenitely new. But it sounds like it happens a lot around here." I said as she nodded.

"The male to female ratio here is pretty lopsided, about five to one in the females favor. So we kind of need herding to survive." She said as I shook my head in amazement.

"That's actaully kind of cool. Where we come from, our ratio is even. So we dont condone things like that there." Looking back, this place does have an unhealthy amount of females in it. I yawned slightly, and Redheart stood up.

"That must be the elixer kicking in. I will check in on you tonight to make sure your not recieving backlash from the eyesight being returned." She said as she left. I smiled and leaned back into the bed.

I have a whole lot of thinking to do. I thought as my mind returned to what occured yesterday with Pinkie. I wonder how Chrysalis would feel about a herd.

Author's Note:

War has been declared between Applebloom and Sweetiebelle! Tak is showing more of his emotionally crippled side to Nicholas, and Ronin is daydreaming. Where shall this lead to? stay tuned, my fic-crazy ponies and remember:LOVE AND TOLERATE!!

*Oh, while you wait for my story to be updated, why don't you check out this story from my friend SkarletIce is currently writing: Antithesis (Click on title to go to the story)

PreviousChapters Next