• Published 4th Jan 2021
  • 3,639 Views, 968 Comments

Era of Harmony - Gambling_Sam



3 brothers find themselves in equestria, fate takes over from there.

  • ...
16
 968
 3,639

Chapters Next
Chapter 1: Meet the brothers

You know, many people complain about how hard their lives are and how they wish it could be easier. I’ll admit, I used to be one of them. That is, until a certain brother of mine ended up sending us to a completely different world full of magic and dragons and all sorts of crazy stuff that would make your head spin!

But I’m getting ahead of myself. I’ll start from the beginning. I had just arrived home to my apartment from working at McDonalds. Yes, I know McDonalds isn’t exactly a dream job or anything, but it payed the bills. Walking up to my apartment door, I unlocked it and stepped inside. Just to be greeted by a hug from my brother Nicholas.

“Heya Raiden” Nicholas said while looking up at me “how was work today?”

I smiled and ruffled his curly hair. “It was alright, little man.” I stepped back and got a good look at what he was wearing. He had on a blue T-shirt with a skeleton head print on it. With blue jean shorts and sandels to match, I only had one question.

“Did you skip school today?” I asked with a tone of authority all the while kneeling to get on eye level with. Even though he is 12 years old to my 22, he is only a foot or two shorter than me.

“Ronin said I could.” He replied with an innocent grin on his face as he turned and pointed forwards the back room of the apartment. “He’s back there shining that sword of his.” He said with a bored expression on his face. He turned back to me and walked by me to sit down on the couch and watch the television.

“Of course he did.” I muttered as I walked towards Ronins bedroom, already thinking of a way to chew out my twin brother.

I knocked on the door. “Come in!” I heard a voice call from inside the room. I stepped in and got a good look of the room. It had weight lifting gear in its left corner, a bed in its right, and a sheath and a rack in the middle.

Ronin looked up at me. He was wearing a white tank top with blue jeans on. Both barely fit him, so it hugged his muscular frame. " Hello Raiden.” He said while placing his sword in the sheath. “Need something?”

I let out a sigh. “Yes, why did you let Nicholas stay home from school today? You know how his teachers are with kids who are absent all the time.”

He gave me a slightly shocked look. “You already know why I let him stay home” he stated.

“For the last time, Ronin, St. Patrick’s day is NOT a stay at home holiday!” I groaned as I face palmed. He simply shrugged and went back to polishing his sword. “Whatever, I going to go cook dinner, so be ready to eat in a hour or two.” I turned and walked out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ronin Perspective~~~~~~~~~~~~

I watched silently as Raiden walk out the door.He’s extra stressed today, must’ve been a rough day at work. I thought to myself. To be honest, I couldn’t remember the last time me or Raiden had had any time to relax. Providing for little Nicholas was a full time endeavor. And man, was it tiring!

It hadn’t always been this way, though. There had been a time when both of us were able to breathe easy and the welfare of Nicholas was safe in Mom and Dad’s hands. That was a year ago, before the drinking and fighting. You see, shortly after Raiden and I had moved out of the house, Dad had lost his job as a fireman. This stopped the flow of money from coming through. This angered our Mom who, in turn, resulted to drinking to hide the sorrows away. This went on for a couple of months until one day, Dad found a whole slew of empty bottles under the bed. This lead to a shouting match that people a block or two days over claimed to be able to hear. It got so bad that they actually went to blows about it, with Mom throwing a bottle at Dad. It missed him and ended up hitting Nicholas instead.

I think you can see what happened next from there. Raiden and I found out and took them to court. We were able to scratch by with a 7-5 ruling in our favor, and got custody of Nicholas. Mom and Dad ended up with jail time for child endangerment and disturbing the peace. Raiden and I pooled our reserve cash together to find a good place to live and a way to fund Nicholas’s education. And Voilà! Here we are back in the present.

Poor Nicholas, though. He was one of the most innocent kids I have ever seen. Not naive to how the world works or anything like that. Just always willing to go the extra mile for complete strangers. He had been hit the hardest by the whole situation. After getting custody of him, he was so traumatized by what happened, he didn’t speak for a month. After that, It took an extra two months to get him to go to school again.

I sighed and put my sword back in its sheath. Oh well, everything happens for a reason.I thought to myself once more as I walked towards the kitchen table

~~~~~~~~~~Nicholas’s perspective ~~~~~~~~~

An hour later

“Dinner’s ready!” I heard Raiden call out. I jumped up and hurried for the table, just to be stopped by said chef with an outstretched arm.

“Now hold on a second” He said. “Did you clean yourself up before coming to sit at my table?” Knowing full well what would happen if I tried to lie, I turned around and slowly (and slightly Grumpily) walked towards the bathroom to wash my hands. As I finished, I ended up running into Ronin at the door.

“Let me guess, he told you to wash up too?” I asked, already knowing the answer.

He groaned loudly. “Tell me about it! Man is acting like Howie mandell over a couple of bowls of chili.” Snickering at that, I walked past him towards the dinner table and sat down.

Raiden brought a decently sized bowl of chili over. “Hope ya brought your appetite, because I cooked a bunch of that stuff today.” He said with the silliest grin on his face. For some reason, cooking always seemed to make my brother happy. Even if he had a rough day, making a pot of chili or grilling hamburgers was a surefire way to set his mood straight.

I dug in quickly. It also helped he was really good at cooking too. He never used too much or too little seasoning. And he always seemed to know exactly how much of an ingredient to put into a dish. Weirdly enough, he sucks at math though, so I have no idea how he pulls it off.

Ronin finally came to the table and dug into his bowl too. " Cookings-Mmmph-great as always, bro” he said in between bites. He then looked over to me. "Keep your chin up, bud. Your dipping granddad’s necklace into the bowl.”

I gasped and quickly pulled it out. Ya see, that necklace was all I had of our granddad after he passed on. I could still remember what he had told me a couple of years ago when he gave it to me.

”That necklace is a very rare thing, Laddie. Don’t ever lose it, or else the luck it brings cannae help ya when ya need it.” Grandpa Brim said with a smile, even though he was on his deathbed. He held out a necklace, a oddly shaped crystal attached to what looked like gold.

“What do you mean luck?” I asked while holding the necklace out.

He laughed softly, then hacked a bit. “I ain’t allowed to say. All I can tell ya is that it will help ya when you a need it most.”

I smiled at the memory, and continued to eat while my brothers argued again over whether or not St. Patrick’s day was a holiday.

"Im telling ya, its a holiday worth celebrating!” Ronin said strongly, all the while slamming his fist on the table in frustration.

“And I’m telling you, its nothing more than a recognition day, like Halloween and valentines day. You don’t see people getting breaks from school for those days, do ya?”

“Pffft, they totally should.” Ronin said while crossing his arms. He then nodded towards me. “Its not like he likes school anyway. Tell Raiden what ya told me today.”

Crap. I definitely did NOT want this to come to light at the dinner table of all places. Dang it, Ronin. Why’d you have to bring this up now? I thought, quite nervous about how this was about to turn out.

“What was said today, Nick?” Raiden said questioningly, Although I could feel the lecture coming on.

“Well.....” I started. " You see, the kids and teachers there don’t understand me at all. Every time I try to play or even talk to the kids, I get isolated for being different and not having quote on quote real parents.” I did a finger quote sign at this. " And the teachers aren’t much help either. They just let it slide! Its so not fair!!” I said the last part a bit loudly, starting to get emotional quick and finding my left hand tightly clenched around the necklace that, oddly, felt warm for some reason.

“Now now.” Raiden said softly. " I know your upset, but that isn’t a reason to raise your-” I never let him finish.

“NOOO!” I yelled. " You don’t know! Neither of you know what its like to go to school and be made fun off for both of your parents being in jail. At least when it happened, both of y’all were grown up. But I was stuck with the mean kids and condescending teachers! Its not fair at all, why doesn’t anyone like me?” I couldn’t hold the smiling charade anymore, and I started to sob.

“Whoa, kiddo.” Ronin said as he pulled me into a hug. " Its alright, kid. No matter what those naysayers say or do, we WILL be here for ya.” He said with a smile. Raiden walked over and joined in

“Yeah, Ronin is right, Nikky.” Raiden said, using my kid nickname he always calls me when something’s wrong. " We aren’t going anywhere. And besides, your one of the greatest kids I’ve ever met.”

“I know-*Sniffle* I know.” I get out between sobs. “I just wish there was a place we could go where we could belong and be happy.” I half-said half-cried.

Just as I said that, My left hand started burning. “OWWW!!” I yelped as I pulled off the necklace and threw it to the ground. " It burned me!”

“What do ya mean it burned-” but again, Raiden would be interrupted by a soft hum coming from the necklace as it rose up and flashed a white light that consumed everything in sight.

-------Canterlot Castle-------

It was night in equestria, princess Luna had just finished raising the moon and princess Celestia was currently retiring to her bedchambers. It had been an extra long day, with the noble ponies wanting answers to the rumors of changeling sightings happening across the country. They had been, for most of the meeting, hotheaded and extraordinarily pushy that the princess should put this issue first before others. However, cooler minds prevailed, and the noble ponies bloodlust was temporarily sated. It would not belong until they tried again to push this issue though.

The princess walked into her bedchamber, sighing at the though. Why they seemed so fixated on these rumors is beyond me. She sighed as she took off her regalia and walked out onto her balcony, the view of her wondrous kingdom doing little to call her nerves.

She turned around to retire for the night when she suddenly was hit with a massive aura surge of magic. She had always been able to sense powerful magic being used, but this was a new kind of magic altogether, and that thought alone scared her a bit.

Last time she had felt a surge that strong, it had been with nightmare moon. But Luna was safe and had recovered a while back with the help of the elements of harmony. If not her, though. Then who? She though as she looked on a crystal clear night sky.

Author's Note:

Well, that was an interesting turn of events at the dinner table. Can't wait to get to writing out the next parts of this! This was not how I had originally planned it ending, but decided this was better. Hopefully this was a good start for a fan fiction first. Please comment on thoughts, bets on who's gonna get with who, and constructive criticism below and I will definitely try my hardest to answer and reply to each one that I can.

For now though: love and tolerate, my fic-crazy ponies.

Chapters Next