• Published 23rd Dec 2020
  • 754 Views, 8 Comments

Holiday Masking - TheOneAJ



Instead of their regular ugly sweater party, this year, the girls have an ugly mask one 🎉

  • ...
6
 8
 754

Holiday Masks

❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️ ❄️

Twilight Sparkle opened her front door to the most beautiful thing in the world.

“Happy Holidays!” Sunset Shimmer smiled as she held out her girlfriend’s favorite holiday treat. A dozen plastic wrapped lemon pound cupcakes with vanilla icing. Even the steam-covered bags couldn’t hide their beauty. Plus, Sunset Shimmer, dressed in her best winter jacket and boots, looked as beautiful as ever to the little bookworm.

“Oh, Sunset,” Twilight said with a blush as she stared at the still-warm desserts, which contrasted against the snow-covered backdrop of her neighborhood. “How did you know?”

“Oh, I’m hurt that you think I never pay attention to you!” Sunset said, hand to her chest.

“Well,” Twilight smiled, leaning in to plant a kiss on Sunset’s cheek. “Also, for the record, I can control myself before the party.”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “You sure about that?”

Twilight fidgeted as she looked at the cupcakes. “Eh… Maybe one right now couldn’t hurt.” She said, shamefully taking the treat. “Let me just get my dish and mask and then we can head out to the party.

“Okay,” Sunset said with a nod.

As Twilight closed the door, she let out a girlish giggle before consuming the treat.

*****

Despite the pandemic, Canterlot city shone as brightly as it did at this time of year. While it meant some holiday traditions had to be put to the side, others persisted in spite of, or even in light of the new restrictions. One of which was Pinkie Pie’s famous ugly sweater party, that had been turned into her first ever ugly mask party. It was definitely a surprise to hear Pinkie Pie even attempting such a get together. A few even vocally spoke out against it believing Pinkie was simply being naive.

However, when Principal Celestia had graciously allowed it to take place in the school’s parking lot to Pinkie’s delight, everyone chilled. Celestia’s offer both allowing the party girl not needing to trim her guest list—if it was held at her house—while putting anyone’s concerns that Pinkie hadn’t thought this through, aside. Especially when they learned about how the location came with the conditions that the event would be invite-only, guests had to have their temperatures checked before entering, and any food needed to be individually packaged. Such as the plastic wrapped cupcakes Sunset and Twilight were carrying. Which nobody objected. Too happy having something that year they could do with their friends. If being and getting together meant a few changes to their traditions, so be it.

“Things going well?” Sunset casually asked before remembering. “How’s your brother?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah! He’s recovering well.” Twilight said with a nervous chuckle. “I mean, it’s not like this thing has a high death rate among young people, so what’s there to worry about.”

Sunset frowned as Twilight lowered her head.

“Anyways!” Sunset said, freeing one of her hands to pull out her hand stitched wool mask.

It was shaped as a sun, although some of the sun beams had to be drawn on the surgical mask within to be practical.

“What do you think? Yours turn out any better?”

“Er, yeah,” Twilight mumbled.

She pulled out a purple-ish looking star. “I couldn’t figure out how to make it look right without one of the ends poking my nose.”

“Well, the idea is to make an ugly mask.” Sunset smiled as Twilight noticed a few of Sunset’s sun rays were slipping off. “So it kind of works itself out. Speaking of, we’re getting closer to the school. Better slip them on.”

“Right,” Twilight said, setting the treats down to adorn their protective face gear.

They arrived to find Applejack and Rarity checking temperatures at the entrance, admitting Sonata Dusk and Octavia Melody as they came into view.

“Howdy, girls!” Applejack shouted through her apple-themed mask.

“Hey, AJ.” Sunset smiled in the best way she could through a facemask. “Rarity. Got stuck on guard duty?”

“Offered, out of the goodness of our hearts, mind you,” Rarity scoffed through her snowflake gem shaped mask.

“Any trouble?” Sunset inquired as Applejack pressed a themonitor to her head.

“Eh, had some high temperatures with Flash and Rainbow Dash earlier,” Rarity admitted.

“We allowed them a minute to try again.” Applejack sighed. “Dash got in, but we couldn’t admit Flash. He was upset, but was more than understanding. However, before he left, we got Pinkie Pie to throw together a care package of some of the food, and Rainbow sacrificed some of her exchange gifts to him.”

“Gosh. I hope he’s okay,” Twilight said, while adjusting her glasses. “Still, that was very nice of you girls.”

“As if we would let one of our friends feel left out because of a little bug,” Rarity huffed.

“Anyways,” Applejack cut in. “You girls are clean. Enjoy the party! We’ll be with you soon enough.”

They made their way inside, but not before the two of them sent Flash a “season’s greetings” text message

*****

Now, Pinkie Pie’s ugly sweater parties were known for the following: food, hot coco, ugly sweaters, games, presents, music (both radio as well as live), and friends. Despite the limitations, the party still had all of that, and then some. Friends of groups no larger than four chatted among themselves, wearing ugly hand stitched masks, with nearly as many wearing their sweaters to boot. Even wrapped in plastic, the home made food looked both decorative, and tasty, as ever. Although nothing could be done to keep the pre-poured drinks from getting cold faster than people would have liked. In place of the games they would normally have played inside a crowded small space, they had set up more outdoor activities such as horseshoes, bean bag tosses, charades, and more. Up on the stage, Octavia Melody was performing a winter hymn on her violin as Sonata Dusk sang along. Their duet sounding so cheerful, it would have made even the grumpiest of Scrooges crack a smile. To a tent on the east side, Pinkie Pie was checking the exchange gift list while Fluttershy wiped the packages down with disinfectas.

“Hey, girls!” Pinkie waved. Her cupcake-themed mask lighting up to her smiled. “Enjoying yourselves?”

“Yeah! Looks like everyone is having fun.” Twilight said, tilting her head at her two friends. “Although I thought Rainbow Dash always helped with the presents.” It was certainly the case last year. And from what Twilight was told, that was how it went for all the sweater parties Pinkie Pie had thrown.

“Oh, um,” Fluttershy squeaked through a butterfly-shaped mask. “She insisted on not wanting to push her luck. Did Rarity or Applejack tell you about it?”

“They did,” Sunset said with a grimace.

Twilight said nothing.

“Aw, don’t worry about me!” Rainbow Dash shouted, having overhead them as she passed by. Keeping herself a notable thirty feet away from her friends. “It’s not like I’m missing out or anything!”

Squinting, Twilight tried to see what kind of mask Rainbow Dash was wearing. It looked to be a blue ski mask with features of a lighting bolt. However, as she stepped forward to her blue friend, Rainbow Dash took a step back.

Twilight flinched. Then, with a sigh, she turned to Pinkie and pulled out her presents. “Two for me this year.”

“And three for me,” Sunset added. “Say, Twi, how about we go by that tree? Seems like there’s ample space.”

“Sure,” Twilight said coldly. Averting her girlfriend's gaze.

They quietly walked over to said tree. Once there and out of ear range of the present tent, Sunset asked, “You okay?”

“Of course I am! … Or at least, as okay as anyone can be after this year,” Twilight admitted, slumping against the bark.

“Hey, I know it’s been a bit of a dumpster fire.” Sunset said, leaning up next to Twilight. “But we’ll get through this. We always do.”

Twilight let out a breath. “I don’t doubt it, but… Let’s be honest. Things will never be the same. Even when this is over. You know it as well as I do. Trying to return everything back to exactly the way it was would only be selfish.”

“True,” Sunset nodded in agreement. “Some things will change.” She paused when Octavia and Sonata finished their song. The partygoers nearest the stage applauded the two through the platform plastic panel as the musicians waved back. Sonata gave a girlish squeal as she raced over to Octavia, giving her own girlfriend a mask kiss to everyone’s delight.

“But, whatever happens,” Sunset said, placing her hand in Twilight’s, and using her free hand to lift the lavender girl's mask-covered chin. “Let’s just enjoy what we have now. Okay? Sure, maybe a party in the middle of a pandemic isn’t the best idea. Even with the care we’re taking. But I think we all needed to risk something like this, and it’s better than doing it carelessly. That may mean it’s different, but if it’s with you guys, I’m happy. Besides,” Sunset started to play with Twilight’s mask. “I’m beginning to dig face coverings. Which isn’t to say it’s a substitute for your beautiful smile.”

With dreamy, and satisfied, eyes, Twilight leaned up and gave Sunset Shimmer a masked kiss of her own. After that, the two girls were content to simply hold each other close for a while. Enjoying the fact that they could on that day.

Time passed, and they were eventually joined by Rairty and Applejack right as Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy started to hand out the exchange gifts. To which everyone opened as Rainbow Dash rocked out happily to one of her infamous guitar solos on the stage. Holiday quarantined style, to everyone’s delight.

🎸 💕 🎼 🌲 💝 ☕️ 🧁 ❄️

Comments ( 8 )
Comment posted by TheOneAJ deleted Dec 22nd, 2020

Holiday Masking; Notes from the pre-readers

Possible title; Holiday Wraps
*because it’s masks, be covered, sounded less awful that holiday masks… going to stop now

Vivid: I think "Holiday Masks" sounds fine, to be honest
Me: I got one better now!; Holiday Masking
Funny enough, just learned what masking is in the autistic community, so this sound fitting here

Twilight Sparkle opened her frontthe door to the most beautiful thing in the world!

Vivid; This is a good opening line. It established the mood well, and it starts with the main character taking an action.

Also by Vivid; You don't have to make this change, but I would add something somewhere early on to show where the scene takes place. I wasn't sure where it was until the end of this section.

Oh, and Sunset Shimmer looked as radiant as always to the little bookworm, as her girlfriend did every day.

Vivid: You don't have to make this change, but I would add something somewhere early on to show where the scene takes place. I wasn't sure where it was until the end of this section.

Changed to; Plus, Sunset Shimmer looked as radiant as always to the little bookworm.

Twilight said with a blush as she stared at the still-warm dester

Vivid: what’s a dester?

Me: Oh yay, a funny guy ^^’
🍨
I like you/wish I could have you for more stories! :)

May just be...

leaning in to plant a kiss in Twilight’s *cheak.

Vivid: change a-e
Also;
For politeness, try to use Google Docs' internal spell check before asking someone to look something over for you.

Debated adding this, as I seemed to have trouble spelling cheek, and this pushed over that hesitation 👌

One of which was Pinkie’s famous ugly sweater party that had turned into an ugly mask party,* Principal Celestia had graciously allowed to take place in the school’s parking lot.

Vivid: Delete the comma,
Splitting up to avoid run-on

Sunset: “Oh, I’m hurt that you think I never pay attention to you,” Sunset said, *hand to her chest.

Vivid: Hand? Oh, this is EQG territory. I recommend added some physical description to Sunset above so we know it's her human form. A quick phrase about her outfit would go a long way (it doesn't need to be labored).

Me: Will mention, although a writing rule for me/thing I do I might share with you;
I hate describing clothes and looks.
The former, admitably, out of laziness to look up stuff ^^’, although with the ladder I mean with psychical appearance (they had this color hair, skin, eyes, was that cubby, ect.) unless it’s important as most of time, people just picture that characters to look however they want, and if someone a story of mine gets turned into a movie, creates less pressure for an actor to be ‘show accurate’ and who’d be best for the role ^^’

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “You sure about that?”

Twilight fidgeted as she looked at the cupcakes. “Eh… Maybe just one couldn’t hurt.”

Vivid; This is a cute exchange ❤️

”Okay,” Sunset said with a *nodded.

Vivid: Replace: “nodded” with “said with a nod”
Also,
If you use a comma after a quotation, make sure you use a verb that's a variation of "said." In this case, the original wording implies that Sunset nodding somehow makes the sounds of the word "okay."

Replace fallowing; with fallowing:

Vivid: Semicolons join two related thoughts; they're rarely used, since most people just break up the sentences.
Colons have more versatile usage: lists, emphasis, or otherwise focusing the reader on information.

Twilight *giggled,

Vivid: Careful re-using a word like this. My general rule is to try to use words or actions no more than once per page.

Me: I don’t fallow :/

Vivid: You used the word "giggle" 3 times in just a few paragraphs. I recommend changing two of them to other words.

Me: ah... yes >.>

Slapped myself with a fish after 🐠



*Advice given from the scene where they head to that party*;

Vivid: I think that you could expand on the walk over to the party. The central emotional conflict seems to be that Twilight is sad things are different this year (and who could blame her). Maybe Have her seem down, and Sunset asks what's wrong, and Twilight doesn't want to say yet. That would set up the ending.

Er, yeah,” Twilight relented,

Vivid: "abandon or mitigate a harsh intention or cruel treatment"

Maybe "mumbled through a forced smile" if you want to convey that she's not confident.

Went with; “Er, yeah,” Twilight mumbled through a forced smile.

“Aw, don’t worry about me!” Dash said, having overheard them.

Vivid: I'd change this to "shouted from across the parking lot" or something. That way, we get to see where she's listening from, and there's some humor in her always listening for people talking about her. Reading down below - maybe she's on the stage and tuning her guitar?

Thinking on it, went with: Dash shouted, having overhead them as she passed by. Keeping herself a notable thirty feet away from her friends.

Rarity *scoffed.

Vivid: great word choice here

Sure.” Twilight *mouthed.

Vivid: If she's mouthing something, she's not saying it out loud. Is this your intent?

Me: Eh, more that’s she’s saying so dry/coldly/sarcastic/negatively

Vivid: You can change it to, “said coldly,” then. “Mouthed” means she’s moving her lips, but no sound is coming out

”Yeah, of course I am,” Twilight protested. “Honestly. *Or at least as honestly as one can be after this year,” she admitted, slumping against the tree.

Vivid: is she implying that the year made her more dishonest. Maybe instead, you meant, "Or at least as okay as one can be after this year"

Went with: “Of course I am!” Twilight protested. “Or at least as okay as someone can be after this year,” she admitted, slumping against the tree.


Finale thoughts;

Vivid: Very cute little slice-of-life story overall. It was nice seeing all our EQG friends, and Sunset's voice in particular sounded spot-on. My biggest piece of advice is to make the conflict known earlier, or at least hint at it: Twilight is sad because the party is different, and she was really looking forward to the usual holiday festivities. If you give that conflict more time early on, then the scene at the end will be much more impactful. Fun overall, though, and thanks for the preview!

Well that’s all for this year. Happy Holidays, everyone. Hope you have a fun, and safe time. Things may change, and that may be scary, but that Dosnt mean we can adapt and grow rather than fear or run from it. ❤️

Very cute SoL! Exactly the kind of story I was hoping for.

I love the positivity in the face of adversity. Each character approaches the conflict in a mature and realistic way, even though it occasionally becomes overwhelming.

The relationship between Sunset and Twi is also light and fluffy; it has the air of something brand new, but that has the potential to grow into something beautiful over the long term.

Minor typo here:

That maybmean it’s different, but if it’s with you guys, I’m happy.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

10594712
Nnooo!! :raritydespair: I worked so hard to grammar right for once 😭 *fixed*
Well glad you liked enough to comment and made your criteria :twilightsmile:
Wasn’t honestly sure where to go with this when I first drafted (why the intro almost seems like it be a solo story) the idea can of built more a; why not have something that might have meaning in relation to this year, but still try to reflect the holiday spirit. Which hopefully, even the mask part becomes dated, the story itself won’t

Despite I'm reading this after Christmas and in the year 2021 what twilight said is right. Things won't be the same even after the pandemic ends in the coming months. Hopefully 2021 will be better for all of us since other than covid 19 2020 was a sad year with losses and I sadly lost my grandma days before the world as we know it would change. And before anyone asks my grandma didn't have covid. She was having serious health problems and her body just couldn't take it anymore. Despite there sadly will be more deaths to come with covid hopefully once this pandemic ends some things will go back to normal and hopefully we'll slowly get things back to the way it was before 2020. But only time will tell.

10623740
Thanks for the comment ^^
Sadly, I’m not sure things will be ‘as the same’ :twilightoops:
This was more a story more about how to cope and adapt rather than wallowing in what can’t be helped. Still, so far I say the years been good 😌

10625843
I know covid will still be an issue in the future but hopefully not as crazy as 2020 was so best to not worry

Login or register to comment