• Member Since 17th Jun, 2017
  • offline last seen 6 hours ago

The Red Parade


Cars are still parked outside. If the rapture had happened, why was it unrecognizable? Why was the sky blue? Why did no one tell me? Do these things not announce themselves?

E

Sweetie Belle has an idea for the upcoming Ponyville Friendship Festival, but she can't do it alone. Even if being alone is all she has.


A Christmas and birthday gift for one of my best friends, wishcometrue. Thank you for everything you've done!

Cover art done by Snow Quill!

Chapters (7)
Comments ( 16 )

Sweetie’s ears drooped and her smile slipped away. “Oh. Well… I guess we can ask Rainbow then.” With a sigh she turned away, taking a few slow steps back towards the table. “Thanks anyways, Princess Twilight.”

This is such a wonderful touch, and probably my favorite bit from this chapter. Every other time, Sweetie just refers to her as Twilight, as a friend; but here, when she's dejected, she refers to her as Princess Twilight. It's formal and detached. It stings. It shows exactly what mindset Sweetie is in right now. Very strong start.

What a delightful, heartfelt story. Even though sunset is listed in the character description, I was surprised when she showed up. Perfect use of her.

Best part was the sister talk.

Worst part was the impression that the story was moving really fast and parts feel missing.

This was cute. I enjoyed it. Being parted from your friends is rough.

It's nice to see she ended up persevering with her vision, ultimately (Sunset is good at being supportive). It's always neat in my opinion to see Sweetie Belle masterminding and contributing to performing magic since it brings a great big smile as the G3 song goes, as Twilight's first apprentice. It was noticeable, how being separated from her friends had its difficulties for her, a slight sense of desolation.

Cliche truth it may be in this setting, but "friendship is magic."

We almost forgot the real reason she's special – because she's our friend. But she forgave us, and, like magic, things are good as new! That's the kind of magic I really want to get good at, now that I'm getting so good at the other kind.

(felt that was perhaps sort of apropos, that Twilight Time line)

Overall, cozy little slice of life.

The thing I love about this chapter is the contrast between the first half and the second half. We start off with Sweetie being annoyed by the sound of foals laughing, and the first part of the conversation with Trixie has an upbeat tone to it. However, as the conversation goes on, Sweetie grows concerned for Trixie and Starlight, which is made all the worse by her not being able to do anything to help them. And it all comes back around at the end with the sound of foals laughing again, and this time it just reminds Sweetie of her loneliness.

Rarity and Sweetie Belle are my favorite siblings in the show because they have such an interesting and captivating relationship. Every one of their interactions in the show is gold, and their interactions here are as well. The way Sweetie feels comfortable enough to voice her concerns to Rarity, the way Rarity sees right through her and provides comfort to her that, up to this point, no one else has been able to provide... It's really nice. You've captured them very well.

You do such a good job here of capturing just how painful it is to see people you care about have problems with each other, and being unable to help them. It makes you feel helpless, powerless. This chapter hurts.

Sweetie nodded, taking a cleansing breath to expel the last of her tears. “Starlight was saying there were a lot of problems with getting it to work.”

Sunset shrugged in response. “Probably, but there always are going to be problems. What’d she bring up?”

This is really good. This is really really good. Sunset doesn't bother lying or sugarcoating things for Sweetie; she doesn't say "it'll be fine" or anything. She acknowledges that there will be problems, but she doesn't shut down the plan because of that. She pushes Sweetie to move past them, to overcome them, to not let them stop her.

I genuinely still can't believe this is your first time writing Sunset. You've captured her so well and this chapter made me grin like an idiot when I first read it.

God, the last two chapters never fail to make me cry.

I love this story. I love the bits that open every chapter except for this one, and the choice to close with it is great. It really ties everything together, I feel like.

You did a great job writing Best PonyTM, and her struggles in this story are so real and relatable, and to see her make it through, to see her succeed... It felt very emotionally satisfying to me.

Thank you for this, seriously. :heart:

10585976

No problem, you deserve far more than this. Really, thank you, you've done so much for me in the time we've known each other and I only wish I can do more. It means so much more than I can say that you liked this story.

Hope you had a great birthday and a fantastic holidays!

<3

Man, there was so much heart put into this fic and you can feel it in every single word. I love the characterisation of everyone involved, especially sweetie belle herself.
Absolutely fantastic

This was a really sweet story, and the characters were all written well. Great job!

10588947
Thank you! Glad you liked it!

Hey, The Red Parade! On behalf of the Reviewer's Mansion, the review you requested has been completed! Check it out by clicking this link.

Here's another Mansion Review of this story. Because it deserves the attention and praise, damnit.

Yeah, faith

Login or register to comment