• Published 11th Dec 2020
  • 610 Views, 11 Comments

The Trial of Discord Draconequus - 42Zombies



Discord is brought to an otherworldly court and accused of neglecting his duties. Discord didn't even know he could get in trouble for that.

  • ...
0
 11
 610

Arraignment

The process of stretching and compressing caused by intense gravitational pull is called 'spaghettification'. It is also known as the 'noodle effect'.

Once Discord was pulled through the portal Chance had created, he began to experience that very effect. Thankfully, Discord was already a noodle, so he really wasn't bothered by it.

Beyond the threshold of the portal was a tunnel of light and sound. Threads of light traveled at ludicrous speeds, being pulled in the same direction as Discord. Discord wasn't exactly able to notice any of this, however, as his body was being stretched out into a long, thin line of nothing as he was dragged, tail-first, to the other end of the portal.

Not that Discord really had a tail anymore. He'd been stretched so thin that he was nothing but particles. He had no limbs, no eyes, no brain. This was incredibly annoying; Discord wasn't a fan of it. Being stretched out like a rubber band wasn't any fun without a body to properly enjoy it.

Thankfully, Discord's trip through the portal didn't take very long. As soon as the longest end of his thread-form reached the end of the tunnel, the stretching stopped. The rest of Discord's body snapped towards the end of him, like a slingshot being released. His body contrasted back into his normal, corporeal self.

Unfortunately, he didn't have time to enjoy having a normal body again. Because now he was falling from a great height.

Discord fell from the other side of the portal with a cry of confusion. His face found the ground first-- he slammed face-down onto a cold, stone surface. The rest of his body followed soon after, crumpling behind him.

It wasn't the most dignified entrance Discord had ever made, and he'd made some pretty undignified entrances in his life. As Discord laid there, his view obscured by the floor, he could only hope that no one had been around to see it.

These hopes were more or less dashed when Fluttershy fell from the portal and landed on top of him.

Fluttershy let out a yelp of anxiety once she realize just who she'd landed on. Discord felt her fly up off of his back, and was distantly aware of her apologizing profusely. He was too busy recovering from his much rougher landing to pay much attention, however.

With a muffled grunt, Discord braced his paws against the ground. He peeled his face up off the stone floor and groggily got back up onto his feet. His ears were ringing, and his brain felt as if it were being tumbled around in a dryer. Traveling via event horizons tended to do that.

“Are you okay?” Fluttershy asked. She seemed to be handling the trip through the portal much better than Discord was. Discord imagined this was just due to him being more sensitive to certain metaphysical experiences than she was.

“No,” Discord grumbled. “I always get a headache going through those sorts of portals. I hate singularities.” With a sigh, Discord examined their surroundings.

They were on a massive, stone platform. There were no walls or ceilings; just endless void in all directions. Distant stars in impossible configurations drifted slowly through that emptiness. They were so small and far away that they only gave off just enough light to be visible. Despite that, Discord had no trouble seeing that the platform was empty aside from himself and Fluttershy.

“Where are we?” Fluttershy asked as she looked out into the void. Her voice was filled with awe despite the situation she'd found herself in. She stared out at the infinite expanse that spread out above them.

“Some sort of pocket dimension, from the looks of things.” Discord folded his arms over his chest, unimpressed. “Whoever made this place could use some decorating advice, because this is really bare-bones.”

There was a flash of bright light. As if in response to Discord's critique, furniture appeared on the platform. There was now a wooden table standing before Discord and Fluttershy, as well as an accompanying pair of chairs. Off to the right, just a few feet away, was a matching set. Discord couldn't help but notice that the other table had some glasses and a pitcher of water on it; his and Fluttershy's table, meanwhile, was completely bare.

Those weren't the only things that had appeared, however. Far ahead of the table, at the very back of the platform, three massive podiums rose up above everything else They were carved from slabs of gray rock, jagged and irregular. The stand in the center stood higher than its two neighbors, signifying some sort of importance.

“... Well, I hardly think this counts as decorating,” Discord said after a while. “There's still a total lack of color.” He folded his arms over his chest and held his nose up in the air.

Fluttershy squinted at the three podiums that now stood before her and Discord. She held a hoof up to her chin and leaned forward over the table just a bit.

“Those look like... judge's stands?” She said uncertainly. “Are we in some sort of court?”

A familiar, annoyingly smug voice rang out from Discord's left.

“Bravo, Fluttershy! That's exactly right!”

It was Chance. He was sitting at the other table that had appeared. He was tilting back in his chair, legs kicked up on the tabletop. Despite his only just arriving, he looked as if he had been sitting comfortably for some time.

The other draconequus made the effort to get dressed since Discord had last saw him. Chance now wore a black suit jacket and a bright, purple bow tie. Discord was rather peeved to see that the tie was shaped like a butterfly. Of course it was.

Discord narrowed his eyes at the blue draconequus.

“Alright, 'Chance,'” he said. “if that's even your real name. I don't know what sort of death wish made you think all of this was a good idea, but I'm willing to be a good sport. What's your game here? What's this all about?”

Chance rolled his eyes. “I already told you.” In one swift motion, he pulled his feet off of the table and let his chair fall back down onto all four legs. He took the glass and pitcher that he'd been provided and began pouring himself a glass of water.

“What, that nonsense about 'behavior unbecoming of a Lord of Chaos?'” Discord asked. He couldn't stop a hint of his outrage from creeping into his tone.

Chance ignored Discord and continued pouring water from his pitcher. The glass was overflowing now; water spilling out onto Chance's hand and the surrounding table. Chance didn't appear to notice this. He just kept pouring.

There were few things in life that irritated Discord as much as being ignored. Being ignored by someone like Chance, though? That really pushed Discord's buttons. He'd only known Chance for a few minutes, but Discord could already feel himself starting to hate this other draconequus.

“Well then.” Discord propped his elbow up on the table and lifted his hand into the air. “If you're not going to explain yourself, I see no reason for us to stick around. We'll be leaving, now.” With a snap of his fingers, he cast a spell to transport himself and Fluttershy back to Equestria.

But nothing happened.

When Discord snapped his fingers, there wasn't so much as a flash of light. Once again, Discord found himself looking at his hand in disbelief.

“Discord?” Fluttershy asked from the seat beside him. “Why aren't you, you know... doing anything?”

Discord had no answer for her. He was stumped, himself. Were his powers just not working? It didn't feel like that was the case. He snapped his fingers again and tried to cast a different spell. He would summon something; some sort of animal.

There was a flash of light. Then, a large-mouth bass fell from the ceiling and landed flat on Discord and Fluttershy's table. It flopped around for a bit, then hopped up and walked away on its tail fins. The test had been a complete success.

“That's not really what I meant by 'doing anything,'” Fluttershy said hesitantly. “But, um, I suppose you know how to use your powers better than I do.”

Discord frowned thoughtfully as he examined his hand. He could still feel the chaos magic flowing through him; it wasn't being blocked off. But somehow, it seemed that some of his spells were being canceled out before they could even manifest. It was as if, just when the spell was supposed to be cast, it decided to change its mind and do nothing.

Discord lowered his hand down and tapped his fingers on the table. He glared once more in Chance's direction. The younger draconequus was still pouring his glass of water. The pitcher didn't look like it was anywhere close to running out, despite the massive puddle of water that had spilled out of the glass.

“Am I to assume you're responsible for my magic getting snuffed out?” Discord asked irritably.

Chance finally set the pitcher of water down. He picked up his freshly-poured glass of water and held it up to his eye to inspect it. He turned the glass, examining it from multiple angles as the glass surface shined. Then he tossed the glass, water and all, over his shoulder. It broke against the stone floor and spilled its contents everywhere.

“Natually.” Chance said as he conjured a towel to dry his hand. “We all draw our magic from the same source. That means we can veto any spells you cast that might interfere with things.”

Discord raised an eyebrow. Behind him, Fluttershy vocalized the thought going through his mind.

“Who is 'we?'” She asked.

The sound of a gavel being banged against a sounding block filled the air. Discord and Fluttershy's heads whipped around to face the source of the noise; the three judge's stands at the edge of the platform.

The stands were no longer empty. Three strange creatures now sat at them, towering up above Discord, Fluttershy, and Chance. All three were looking down with stern, serious expressions.

In the stand on Discord's right there sat a creature that appeared to be constructed entirely out of red light. Its features were difficult to make out. At one moment, it had a body like Discord's or Chance's; at another, its body was segmented like some massive spider. Its limbs and form kept shifting around, like lava in a lava lamp. Throughout all of this, however, it had the head of a scowling unicorn.

On the left was a creature that Discord at first mistook for a zebra. Several things indicated that this was not the case, however. Instead of stripes, thin, black lines formed geometrical patterns across a white, equine body. Much more noticeable, however, was the fact that this creature didn't have a zebra's head. Instead, attached to the neck where a head should have been, there was a bucket full of turnips and flowers. Even Discord, who was used to the strange and unusual, had to raise a brow at that.

Finally, in the center, sitting at the tallest pillar, was the most normal-looking of the three. It was a creature called a gnu; a sort of cross between a cow and an antelope. It had a long face, dark fur and small, curved horns protruding from its head. The beast was dressed in a red-and-black robe with a large, triangular hood.

The creature in the middle banged their gavel again.

“Quiet down!” The creature said in a deep, masculine voice. “I will have silence! Calm down, you savages! I will not have you make a mockery of these proceedings!”

The shifting, red creature on the right nodded in agreement.

“That's right!” It said. Its voice was feminine, and sounded as if it was coming from underwater. “Any more disruptions and we'll hold you all in contempt of court! We'll have you all put to death!”

“Apricots,” said the bucket-headed creature. Its voice was scratchy, and carried no emotion at all. “Tuesday at once.”

Chance cleared his throat.

“None of us were speaking, your honors,” he said quietly. “The trial hasn't even started yet.”

The robed creature looked surprised, and sheepishly put its gavel down.

“Is that so?” It asked. “Sorry about that. I'm figuring this out as I go.”

Discord pinched the bridge of his nose. As the Lord of Chaos, he had an incredible threshold for random nonsense. This was infuriating even for Discord, though.

“Let me guess,” Discord grumbled irritably. “You three are minor Lords of Chaos, too?”

“That's none of your business!” The red creature said as its head spun fluidly around on its body. “We're the ones asking the questions here!”

The gnu in the center raised a hoof. “You are correct, though. We are minor Lords of Chaos.”

“That's right!” The red creature exclaimed.

Chance floated over in front of the stands, his butterflies remaining ever-stationary. He cleared his throat and gestured up to the creatures above him.

“Please allow me to introduce the presiding judges,” he said. “This is Her Honor Judge Bedlam, Lady of Mayhem...”

Chance pointed to the shifting creature made of light. She responded by sneering down at Discord, her head completely upside-down on her body.

“His Honor the Bewildebeest, Lord of Confusion...”

The robe-wearing gnu smiled. He gave Discord a small, courteous nod of the head.

“And finally, er...” Chance paused. He looked up to the bucket-headed creature on the left. It stood perfectly still, bucket facing forward.

“What am I supposed to call you?” Chance asked hesitantly.

The bucket-headed creature didn't move at all as it spoke. “Polygraph to the masses, system. Seventy, seventy, seventy.”

Chance shrugged, evidently garnering some meaning from the creature's words that Discord wasn't able to.

“Alright,” Chance said. “This is Their Honor Judge Dada, Master of Absurdity.”

Fluttershy put a hoof to her chin. She looked over all four of the so-called Lords of Chaos, taking them all in. Discord felt a little insulted by how seriously she was taking all of their claims.

“So you're all lords of different kinds of chaos?” Fluttershy asked.

Chance grinned and nodded.

“Of course,” he said. “Whereas Discord just represents Chaos in general, we represent its many different facets. I myself am the Lord of Chaos Theory, and I will be--”

Upon hearing Chance's title, what little patience Discord had remaining completely flew out the window. This was going too far. Discord rose once more to his full height and slammed his hands on the table, causing it to shake. Fluttershy flinched and gasped, and all of the lesser lords of chaos looked at Discord in surprise.

“Now you're just being ridiculous!” Discord snapped. “Chaos Theory isn't even chaotic; it's just a bunch of nerds trying to ruin chaos with dumb math! If you're a Lord of Chaos, then Twilight Sparkle might as well be one, too!”

Chance whipped his head around to look at Discord. His lips curled back into an ugly, hateful sneer as he stared down the other draconequus. Discord just stood his ground and stared back at him defiantly. He only stopped staring when he felt Fluttershy tugging at his elbow.

“Um, Discord?” Fluttershy asked as she floated at his side. “Maybe you shouldn't antagonize the creature who abducted you and is cutting you off from your powers. These other Lords of Chaos seem to think you've done something.”

Discord scoffed. “Oh, please. So what if I did? What right do they have to judge me?”

Fluttershy frowned. She looked up at the three judges' podiums and then looked back at Discord.

“Um... They're judges?” She pointed out.

Discord raised an eyebrow. As a representative of the forces of chaos, Discord wasn't exactly well-informed when it came to law and order. He had heard of judges and courtrooms, certainly, but his experience with them was rather minimal. On top of that, Discord just wasn't used to other creatures having any sort of authority over him.

That's why, despite the abundance of evidence around him, Discord didn't fully realize what was happening until Fluttershy spelled it out to him.

“Discord,” she said cautiously, “I think you're on trial.”

Discord looked at Fluttershy blankly for a good, long while. He was trying to tell if she was joking. Fluttershy could have a very dry sense of humor sometimes. After all, the idea of some creature trying to put Discord on trial was ludicrous! Who could ever attempt such a thing? They'd need some way to stop Discord from just snapping his fingers and...

Oh, right.

“But this is absurd!” Discord exclaimed, turning to face the court. “Why am I on trial? I've never done anything wrong in my life!”

Fluttershy gave Discord a very uncertain look before turning to face the judges.

“What exactly is Discord charged with?” She asked.

“Discord Draconequus stands accused of behavior unbecoming of a Lord of Chaos.” The Bewildebeest said as he leaned forward over his stand. “The charges against him include willingly and knowingly supporting the status quo; abiding by the rules and laws of others; and, perhaps worst of all, actively undoing acts of chaos caused by himself or others.”

Hearing the charges against him out loud made Discord's heart sink in his chest. As much as he wanted to deny them, his mind very quickly brought up examples of those actions. Helping to defeat Chrysalis? Cleaning up the storm during the last Summer Sun Celebration? Generally following the laws of Equestria? Discord had done all of that.

But that didn't change the fact that this trial shouldn't be happening at all.

“Alright, maybe I've gone soft a bit,” Discord admitted. He pointed an accusatory finger at the other so-called 'Lords'. “But none of you have the right to question me about what I've done! I don't care what you call yourselves; I'm the only Lord of Chaos! I decide what is and is not acceptable for a Lord of Chaos to do! You have no authority over me!”

Bedlam chuckled.

“Of course we don't,” she said. “Did you expect any different, Discord? Of course this trial is a farce; we're beings of chaos. What other kind of trial could we have?”

Discord raised a finger, but he found he couldn't come up with a suitable answer. Once again, they'd made a point that he couldn't argue with. Even if these creatures weren't true Lords of Chaos, they generally seemed to think in the same way as Discord.

Discord wasn't used to being around creatures who shared a similar thought process. He wasn't sure how to feel about it. At the moment, it was equal parts annoying and unsettling. It felt strange to not be the craziest one in the room.

“Alright, fine,” Discord said. “That explains why you brought me here. But what about Fluttershy?” Discord pointed to the pegasus floating beside him, as if he could be talking about anypony else.

Fluttershy's eyes darted around as every creature's attention turned to her. She smiled anxiously and lifted a hoof in greetings.

“Uh. Hi,” she said quietly.

“Why is she here?” Discord asked. “What are the charges against her, hmm? She reformed me, but you can't hold her accountable for my actions! Fluttershy is completely innocent! Why did you bring her here?”

“We didn't,” Chance said bluntly. “She flew into the portal before I could close it.”

Discord looked to Fluttershy. She nodded sheepishly by way of confirmation.

“None of us have any sort of vendetta against Fluttershy,” the Bewildebeest said. “We're not going to do anything to her. She's fine.”

The other judges both nodded in agreement.

Chance, who was once again smugly smiling, floated closer to Discord's table.

“Indeed,” he said. “It wasn't my intention to bring Fluttershy here. But perhaps it's good that she chose to come. She'll be able to provide Equestria with a first-hoof account of your sentencing. Everypony will hear about what happened to you straight from the horse's mouth.”

Discord snorted. “Getting ahead of yourself, aren't you? You haven't found me guilty yet.”

Chance began to laugh. At first, Discord assumed that it was just him being smug. But then Bedlam and Dada joined in on the laughter. Only the Bewildebeest remained silent. As the central judge banged his gavel, however, Discord noticed that the Lord of Confusion looked the slightest bit annoyed by his companions' mirth.

The laughter died down, but Chance kept his amused smile.

“Oh, Discord, Discord, Discord.” Chance shook his head as his toothy grin grew wider. “Do you really think we'd go about all of this in the proper order? This trial is just a formality!”

Discord blinked. “What?”

“We have already reached our verdict,” the Bewildebeest explained cordially. “We've already decided that you're guilty. This trial is meant to determine how guilty you really are, and what the appropriate sentencing will be.”

“Oh my,” Fluttershy whispered. She held her hooves to her mouth worriedly as she looked between Discord and the judges.

Discord, for his part, didn't share in Fluttershy's concern. He had his elbow on the table, resting his cheek in his palm. As he did so, he idly inspected his free hand as he cast a few minor spells. He conjured up a spoon; he turned the spoon into a tiny whale; he made the whale explode into a cloud of confetti. This was as much a symptom of his boredom as it was a test of what kind of magic he was still capable of.

“What kind of sentence could Discord be facing?” Fluttershy asked, oblivious to Discord's apathy.

The Bewildebeest cleared his throat and reached for something under his podium. He produced two things; a piece of yellowed parchment, and a pair of small spectacles. Donning the glasses, he squinted and examined the paper.

“Well,” the Bewildebeest said, “there are several possibilities. Personally, I'm of the mind that he should be reprimanded and then sent on his way; perhaps made to pay some sort of fee. That's a best case scenario, however. It's much more likely that he'll be, well...”

The Bewildebeest trailed off uncomfortably. The silence that followed was tense. Finally, the Bewildebeest gave a sigh and continued.

“It's much more likely that, at the end of the trial, Discord will be stripped of his powers.”

Discord's ears perked up. His eyes widened in alarm. For the first time since he'd arrived in this pocket dimension, he began to genuinely worried. In a panic, Discord jumped up to his feet and slammed his hands on the table.

“Stripped of my powers?!” Discord repeated. His eyes darted around the courtroom frantically. “Y-You can't do that! It's cruel and unusual!”

“I'm cruel,” Bedlam countered.

“We're all unusual,” the Bewildebeest added.

Discord sputtered indignantly.

“But you can't just cut me off from my magic like that!” He said. “What would I even do without it? I need magic just to get to my house!”

“So?” Bedlam asked. “Your poor real estate choices are of no concern to us.”

“Worms in the outhouse,” Dada said, in what was probably supposed to be agreement. “Permissive anteater rebel.”

“Indeed.” The Bewildebeest nodded. “Besides, that might not even happen, Discord. It's up to the prosecution to argue for that kind of punishment.”

Discord felt his heart sink in his chest. He slowly looked over at Chance. Chance, who was dressed in a suit and tie. Chance, who had now produced a very professional-looking briefcase. Chance, whose fanged grin had only grown larger.

“You're the prosecution, aren't you?” Discord asked, even though he already knew what the answer would be.

Chance nodded and tugged on the lapels of his suit proudly.

“Oh, yes. And let me reassure you, Discord, I am absolutely, 100% in favor of you being rendered powerless at a bare minimum. Personally, I'm hoping for a much, much worse sentence.” He gave Discord a little wink and then began floating back to his table.

Discord couldn't think of what would be worse than being rendered powerless. Past experiences being cut off from his magic told him that it was terrible. As such, he didn't take Chance's threat of a worse sentence very seriously.

Really, though, Discord was reluctant to take pretty most things seriously. He felt like it went against his nature. But he was being forced to take this whole trial seriously, and he resented that fact.

“Well!” Discord folded his arms over his chest and held his nose in the air. “If there's a lawyer for the prosecution, I think I should have a lawyer to represent myself.”

Fluttershy frowned. “I don't think Chance is really a law--”

“Okay.” The Bewildebeest said after exchanging a look with the over judges. “You may pick any creature, living or dead, to serve as your defense. I highly advise you to choose a living creature, however; dead lawyers are notoriously unreliable.”

“I have the perfect man in mind,” Discord said with a smile. He raised his hand into the air and snapped his fingers.

A second Discord popped up from under the table. He rose up between Fluttershy and the first Discord and slammed a briefcase onto the tabletop. As soon as he did, the case popped open. Dozens of bubbles floated out from inside of it and popped in the air.

This Discord was wearing an ugly, plaid suit, and had a pair of square glasses balanced on his nose. He adjusted them as he walked to the front of the courtroom, arms tucked behind his back.

“Hello, everyone,” the new Discord said. “I'm from the law firm of Discord, Discord, And Discord. My name is Discord T. Draconequus, Esq. DDS PHD CPA MIA. I am extremely legal, let me tell you. Just look at my suitcase.”

While the judges nodded in approval of Lawyer Discord, the original Lord of Chaos leaned back in his chair with a satisfied smirk. If he was going to go through a trial, he was going to mock it at every step of the way. And besides, who better to represent him in a court of law than himself? A lawyer with themselves as a client was probably the best person for the job!

Fluttershy, meanwhile, didn't look like she found this amusing.

“Discord, don't you think it's a good idea to get a real lawyer?” She asked, putting stress on the word 'real'. “This seems like it's pretty serious, and the odds already seem stacked against you.”

Discord waved a hand in the air dismissively. “Oh, pshaw, Fluttershy. What's so difficult about representing yourself in a court of law? I could do it very easily.”

Fluttershy lowered her eyelids, unconvinced. The expression made Discord uncomfortable. He hated it when Fluttershy looked at him disapprovingly like that; he felt as if he was getting scolded. And Fluttershy was one of the only ponies who could successfully scold the old draconequus and get away with it.

Friendship truly was terrifying.

“Psst. Hey, pal.”

Discord blinked. Someone was whispering in his ear. But it wasn't his own ear; it was the ear of the doppelganger he'd created. Discord heard what his copy heard as clearly as if he was there himself. He turned in his seat and saw Chance was whispering to the second Discord, a hand held up to his mouth.

“Hey, can I offer you some advice, lawyer-to-lawyer?” Chance whispered. “You don't want to take this case.”

The second Discord cast a brief, worried glance towards his client. Discord looked back at himself, confused by his apparent apprehension. After a moment, the Lawyer Discord turned back to Chance.

“I don't?” He asked, trying to keep his voice low.

Chance shook his head quickly.

“No, trust me,” he said. “The case against this guy is airtight. I have it on good authority that he's going to go down in flames. You don't want a loss like this on your record.”

“I had no idea it was that bad...” The second Discord mused. His eyes darted between Chance and the original Discord for a moment. For a moment, he seemed to be weighing his options in his head.

Finally, the second Discord leaned away from Chance, cleared his throat, and turned to face his client.

“Sorry, pal,” he said brusquely. “You're on your own.”

In a flash of light, the lawyer Discord and his briefcase both disappeared from the courtroom. Discord could actively feel his doppelganger return to the nothing that he had been spawned from. It was not an unfamiliar feeling, but in this particular instance it felt strange. Discord had never had one of his creations dismiss themselves before.

In any case, though, this was intensely disappointing.

“Well.” Discord folded his arms over his chest. “How do you like that? I should have known I wouldn't be a reliable lawyer, but I had no idea I could be so callous.”

Fluttershy frowned. “Again, um, I don't think that he was a lawyer. I'm pretty sure no one here is actually qualified to practice law.”

The three judges examined the spot where a lawyer no longer was. They waited to see if he would return; if this was just some sort of bit Discord was pulling. But when the doppelganger proved to truly be gone for good, all three judges turned their gaze towards Discord. None of them seemed particularly sympathetic to his loss of legal representation.

Chance, meanwhile, looked pretty pleased with himself. He had his arms folded over his chest, and wore a particularly punchable smile on his face. He was looking right at Discord, almost daring the older draconequus to try and retaliate; to try and cast a spell that the court would no-doubt cancel out. It made Discord tighten his fists in anger.

The Bewildebeest cleared his throat.

“Well,” he said, “it appears that your lawyer has stopped existing, Discord. This does not bode well for whatever legal strategy you might have planned.”

Fluttershy raised her hoof once again.

“Oh. Excuse me?” She asked. The judges all turned their attention towards her. “Can't he try and find a new lawyer?”

The Bewildebeest brought a hoof to his fuzzy chin and rubbed it. A thoughtful expression formed on his face as he considered Fluttershy's request. Discord was surprised by how seriously the judge appeared to be thinking about it.

Before the Bewildebeest could make a decision one way or another, however, Bedlam slammed one of her shifting appendages down onto her stand.

“We've wasted enough time already!” She said impatiently. “I didn't help build this pocket dimension so we could sit around all day! Let's start the trial already!”

At the other judge's stand, Dada began pounding their hooves on their desk arrhythmically. The Bewildebeest was left looking between his two peers wearily. After a moment, he sighed and shook his head.

“Very well,” he said reluctantly.

Discord watched as the Bewildebeest picked up his gavel and struck it against the sounding block. This time when he did it, the noise it made was like the toll of a deep, brass bell. It wasn't a noise that gave Discord much hope.

The Bewildebeest, Bedlam, and Dada all looked down at the stony platform that served as their courtroom. They were all looking at Discord.

“Court is now in session.”

Author's Note:

First two chapters come out together 'cause I had already written them. I didn't want to post one chapter then wait one or two weeks right at the beginning.

From here on out, though, I'll be going at a slower pace.