• Published 14th Dec 2020
  • 3,891 Views, 164 Comments

Of Dragons and Maternity - SymphonicSync



When Twilight visits Ponyville to prepare for the summer sun celebration, her assistant Spike develops a crush.

  • ...
4
 164
 3,891

(3) A Working Arrangement

In the lobby of the town hall, which now served as the common area for the Summer Sun Celebration, Rarity strode past the clumps of ponies waiting for their princess to come out on the balcony above. At least, that was the formal reasoning of their attendance.

It seemed like everypony in town was more concerned about gossiping.

Gossiping about what they’d all heard from the shadows of the library.

Some made comments about the dragon whelp. Others framed questions about the young mare and her sudden, now seemingly permanent, appearance in town. Still more, and almost all as she passed them, wanted to know what Rarity’s thoughts were on the situation.

She couldn’t remember ponies making this much fuss about something back in the schoolhouse.

She used the same hoofful of lines every few seconds as she crossed the room. A “I’m sure they’ll get along in town just fine.” Or “I’m just here to see the Princess, darling” to wave off rumormongers. She had other matters to tend to, her personal thoughts would have to wait.

At least until she had time to think them.

Ahead, she could see the candy shop apprentice, Pinkie Pie, and the town mayor, Mayor Mare, have a heated, if hushed, conversation. As she strode closer, she began to hear some of the exchange.

“I knew that it was a bad idea, Pinkie, I don’t know why I ever gave you the key.” the Mayor said, placing a hoof to her forehead.

Pinkie answered back, in just as spirited a tone as ever. “And I knew you’d be a killjoy about the whole thing, like always.”

Dropping her hoof to the floor with a light smack, Mayor Mare asked, mostly rhetorically “Then why did you even ask me!?”

“Because I had to find out where she was staying, duh.” Pinkie deadpanned.

The tan mare groaned and looked down as Rarity approached the pair.

“Darlings, could I have a moment?” she asked, trying to remain unheard by the rest of the gathering.

“Of course, Rar-” Pinkie Pie chirped the start of the sentence.

Rarity ended her own. “-alone, with the Mayor?”

“Oh, uh, sure. Later?” Pinkie shied away, a dejected look on her face.

“Yes, Rarity, how can I help you?” Mayor Mare snarked, the frustration with the day visibly on her face.
Rarity cleared her throat before she made her statement. “I’m sure that you’re aware that Golden Oaks has fallen into a state of disrepair and poor management after our dear librarian Buckram left us.”

“Yes, quite unfortunate it was,” the mayor answered, “Losing that old rocin and half my savings to that blasted lottery.” Her eyes glanced to the wall, where a plague honoring Buckram for his generous donation to the town hung next to a framed picture of the elderly pony in the tropics.

"Quite," Rarity confirmed, "But seeing how their summer vacation is going on two years long, I think it's time for a new librarian." She stepped forward and leaned closer to the Mayor. "Miss Sparkle is quite the studious pony. I'm sure she'd treat one of our town's most valuable locales quite well."

Mayor Mare paused, mulling the thought over. "Princess Celestia did speak quite highly of her knack for organization. And Sol knows just how easily this year's preparations have come along since she arrived," she chuckled and continued, "Even if that's mostly due to how Pinkie stayed out of the affair while setting up the surprise part-" she winced and looked at Rarity before asking, "Sorry, is it alright to mention that yet?"

Rarity looked above her to the balcony. It had been a few minutes since she'd seen Twilight walk into the back rooms. She'd not seen her come back out. It was doubtful she'd hear during her discussion with the Princess.

Rarity cleared her throat and let her voice carry across the room as she spoke. "I'm sure it's better if no one mentions the surprise party, Dear. Imagine how embarrassing it would be for them, knowing such a private moment was so public."

Mayor Mare nodded a response, "Of course. I'll just go see if I have an application lying around for the library. Thank you very much for your suggestion." With that, she walked away towards her office.

Rarity turned around see everypony's eyes looking her way. She huffed, "Now Darlings, there's already a spectacle. Celestia should be out any moment now."

As their head slowly turned away from her and up to the balcony, Rarity thanked the stars outside that Celestia's waiting room was far enough around the corner for Twilight to walk out unnoticed.

Her second whisper of thanks went to Pinkie Pie and Mayor Mare for having their spat next to the concessions table, warding the drinks and desserts from most of the party-goers out of the sheer awkwardness it emanate approaching the scene. Filling a glass with punch and collecting some treats on a plate, she left the table to the timberwolves, so to speak, and walked to the back of the room to find a seat.

Only after sinking back in her chair did Rarity notice the farm-pony Applejack approaching her.

"Would you like to say something as well?" Rarity asked, straightening her posture.

"Ee'nope," the country filly answered, taking the seat next to her. "Ye just took the last apple fritter." she said, taking it from Rarity's plate.

"Help yourself, I'm not too hungry."

A silence hung in the air.

Rarity turned to AJ and asked "Your sister, Applebloom? She's in Sweetie's class, isn't she?"

"I reckon they are," AJ answered with a shrug, "but I doubt they know it. Applebloom doesn't much care for schooling, ye see. Spends most of the time up in the clouds."

"Ah, I see..." Rarity paused, nodding her head. After a few moments, she continued her inquiry. "She wasn't, there, was she?"

"Course not, dahl. She's gotta wake up in the morning, same as yers."

Rarity let out a sigh of relief. "Good, good..."

The silence returned. Quieter than before. The majestic form of their Princess had appeared over the railing and was coming further into view. The scattered conversations between the ponies of the town ceased as her speech began, her voice filling the room.

Applejack pulled her hat off and ran a hoof through her bangs. Rarity took a drink of her punch.

The mares looked towards each other, both grabbing a snack off the plate.

"Ehm just glad that Sparkle lass liked the cider."

"Quite the thoughtful gift, dear."

AJ smirked, "Would you like some too?"

Rarity looked back at the balcony. As Celestia's speech came to a close and the rays of sunlight crept in through the windows, she let out a sigh before turning back towards Applejack. "After a night like this, how could one say no?"

Without another word, the pair stood and left the hall.