• Published 1st Sep 2012
  • 2,281 Views, 37 Comments

Always connected- Aftermath - The-rogue-shadow



Applejack and Rainbow Dash awake from a coma to find a world where war has changed their friends.

  • ...
2
 37
 2,281

Chapter 19

Rainbow Dash stared at the canvas ceiling of the medical tent, as images of all the lives she had taken as Rainbow Dark rotating in her mind. Sounds of fighting in the distance were nothing but a muffled ringing in her ears as a deep sadness filled her heart. Derpy's face appeared in her mind's eye. The kind, intelligent Derpy that Rainbow had come to rely on, despite her clumsy behaviour, although she wasn't as clumsy as Rainbow remembered. The thought of Derpy in surgery brought Rainbow close to tears, as did the knowledge that Black Diamond, a pony that she thought of as her mentor, as well as an older brother, was willing to kill her with such enthusiasm. Rainbow shifted her weight, trying to make herself more comfortable as she lay on her back, front and back legs strapped firmly to the steel frame of the bed. She didn't mind, she knew just how dangerous she was and also knew that she could lose control at any time. A large shape burst through the door of the tent, and Rainbow had to awkwardly position herself to see who it was. It was the nurse, followed closely by Black Diamond, who sat next to Rainbow's bed as the nurse used her magic to inject Diamond with something. He grimaced as she did so. The nurse left the tent, instructing Diamond to stay put for a while, in case he had a reaction to the medication. Rainbow stared at him, as Diamond closed his eyes and took long, deep breaths.

"Afraid of needles?" Rainbow asked, and she was overjoyed to see Diamond smile and nod.

"Very much so." He replied, opening his eyes and looking at Rainbow. "But I understand that they are necessary."

"What are you being injected with?" She asked, needing contact with a pony to help push the images out of her head.

"It's some new serum that Rarity's medical researchers developed. It's composed mostly of white blood cells and other essential blood borne agents. In theory, it's supposed to speed up the healing process by tenfold." He told her. "I'm the first test subject." Rainbow gave him a look, but quickly took it back, not wanting to antagonise him and cut short their conversation.

"Is it working?" She asked, and Diamond nodded once, before showing her a tiny cut on his side.

"This was about a foot long three days ago, and I have been on the medication for two days now. So yeah, it works very well. The only side effect is that it ruins my equilibrium, meaning that I have no balance for about half an hour after taking it." Rainbow was surprised to hear that it was so effective. They both sat in silence for a while, Diamond closing his eyes once again. Rainbow kept looking at him, a question sitting on the tip of her tongue but being held back by her brain. Finally, she just let it out;

"Can you ever forgive me?" Black Diamond sighed, opening his eyes once again and putting his hoof in Rainbow's. He smiled, and Rainbow looked into the golden eyes of her mentor and saw none of the rage or coldness that had been there the day before, when he had stopped her rampage.

"Of course I can Rainbow. And I do forgive you. You weren't yourself. Just like how Pinkie wasn't Pinkamina or Luna wasn't Nightmare Moon. You are nothing like Rainbow Dark, and I have never thought that. Yesterday I just felt guilty about what I had done and angry because of what Rainbow Dark said." He told her, still smiling. As he talked, Rainbow felt a pressure in her skull subside slightly.

"One more thing. Derpy? Is she… Okay?" Rainbow asked, and much to her surprise and sadness, Diamond pulled his hoof away.

"The surgery was a success. The swelling in her brain has gone down enough that they were able to put the piece of skull back and The Doctor says that there was no brain damage. But she lost a lot of her blood. Most of it went into her lungs, which they had to pump out. As such, she is in desperate need of a blood transfusion." Said Diamond and Rainbow's eyes went wide.

"Well then let me out. I'll gladly donate my blood." She said, worried about her friend. Black Diamond just shook his head, before having to steady himself using Rainbow's bed.

"It wouldn't work Rainbow. Your blood type doesn't match up with Derpy's. She has an incredibly rare blood type and only someone with that blood type can donate to her."

"Well, who has the blood that she needs then?" Asked Rainbow, her voice full of desperation.

"The only pony that is confirmed to have this blood type is Big Mac, and he is still in Ponyville."

"Just have Luna teleport him back here then! This is an emergency!" Yelled Rainbow. Black Diamond smiled at her.

"It's good to see that you are still the element of loyalty Rainbow, and don't worry, Derpy's been more or less stabilised. She will be fine until after Granny Smith's funeral, which is when Luna is going to teleport them all back. Including Applejack." Said Diamond. At the mention of Applejack's name, Rainbow's ears pricked up slightly and the pressure in her head relaxed a bit more.

"I can't wait for that then." Said Rainbow. Diamond nodded once, sitting back on the chair and closing his eyes once again. Rainbow Dash turned back to look at the canvas ceiling and stared at it, a small smile crossing her lips as the faces of the slain were replaced with a single image; Applejack.

'In just a few short hours, I will be seeing Applejack again. Our powers will return and I can just hold her forever.' Thought Rainbow, her smile growing ever wider. The door of the tent rustled, and Rainbow assumed it was the nurse.

"Excuse me nurse, but would you mind letting me have some water? I'm dying of thirst." She asked, as the nurse moved beside her bed.

"I don't think it's thirst you have to be scared of." Said a deep, growling voice beside her. Rainbow turned to see a mass of black fur, tattered clothes and sharp, white teeth, shiny with drool. Rainbow gasp, as the mass lifted its paw and extended a set of claws.

"Diamond dogs."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applejack was stony faced, as she, Big Mac, Applebloom, Applethunder and Spike stood around the grave of Granny Smith. The cloudless and sunny day felt like an insult to how Applejack was feeling at the moment. The priest, a younger stallion named White Star, stood in front of them and what appeared to be the rest of Ponyville, who had all gathered to pay their respects to the green mare that had been amongst the first colonists of Ponyville. Spike had his one good wing wrapped around Applebloom and Big Mac was fondling a locket that Fluttershy had given him. Applethunder hugged Applejack, who had to take a deep breath in order to keep her tears at bay and stay strong for her family. White Star finished his speech and as he did, his horn glowed white and the coffin that had been made from the oldest apple tree on their farm was lifted off the ground and slowly lowered into the grave with expert ease. The gathered ponies of Ponyville lined up and placed a sprig of rosemary into the grave, before giving their condolences to the Apple family. It took forty five minutes for all of the Ponyville citizens to throw their rosemary. After it all, only the Apples were left. Applejack looked into the grave and saw the box that contained the pony that had raised her to be strong, honest and dependable. The pony that had made sure that she never felt left out as an orphan while growing up.

"Ah say we make a pact, here and now, to honour Granny Smith's memory by protecting Ponyville once the war is all over." Said Big Mac. The others nodded in agreement, each swearing on Granny Smith's spirit to defend the ponies of the town and to always remember what she taught them. Together they walked away from the cemetery, toward the hospital where DuskDrift was recovering from a serious injury. All of the ponies inside the hospital gave them sympathetic looks as they made their way to DuskDrift's room. Walking inside, Applejack was surprised to find Noah, the paramedic that had braved the arrows and fireballs of Flame's troops in order to save her. DuskDrift was giggling as they walked in, both of her wings wrapped in white bandages that were tinged yellow and red in places as the burns on her wings healed.

"You're looking better" Said Applebloom, walking up beside DuskDrift's bed. Noah smiled, before whispering something to DuskDrift and leaving the room. Applejack looked at DuskDrift, who blushed and looked away.

"So, how was it?" Asked DuskDrift quietly. "I'm sorry I wasn't there." Applejack shook her head and smiled weakly.

"Don't worry about it. What matters now is that you heal up proper for our trip back to the front lines." Said Applejack. DuskDrift nodded, but Applebloom turned and gave her a look.

"What, you're going back? Why I thought you were home for good." Said Applebloom.

"Well ah'm sorry sugarcube, but the princess needs us back there as soon as possible." Replied Applejack. She flinched as a gout of green flame appeared in front of her face, accompanied by a loud belch from Spike. A scroll appeared from inside the flames and fell onto DuskDrift's bed. Spike opened it and read aloud;

"To Corporal Big Macintosh, This letter is to inform you that your presence is urgently required at the front lines. Commander Derpy Hooves of the Pegasus division is in desperate need of a blood transfusion and yours is the only blood compatible. You, as well as Commander Applejack, General Applethunder and royal apprentice DuskDrift will be picked up from the Ponyville town square at midday and teleported by her royal majesty Princess Luna of Equestria. Sincerely, Commander Twilight Sparkle. P.S My deepest condolences for you on this day. We are all thinking of you." Spike finished the letter and looked at the clock on the wall.

"That's still two hours away." He told them, "Plenty of time to pack up and say goo-" He was interrupted as another Flaming burp erupted, leaving behind another scroll. Opening this one, his eyes went wide and he read it aloud in a panicked tone.

"Applejack! You need to get here quick, the Diamond dogs are attacking. They broke through our defences and are tearing us apart. The Princess has been captured and I don't know what to do. Get to the town square as quick as you can. I will meet you there in ten minutes from when you get this letter. I just need to free Rainbow first. Please hurry, Twilight." Spike finished and looked at Applejack with fear in his eyes.

"AJ, we have to hurry. I can't let anything happen to Twilight. She's my best friend." He said. Applejack nodded quickly.

"I know, and I promise nothing will happen to her. DuskDrift, can you make it to town square?" She asked and DuskDrift shook her head.

"Big Mac, I need you to carry her to the town square."

"What about you?" Asked Big Mac, "You're talking like you aren't coming with us."

"I'm not." Said Applejack."It will take too long. I need to get there now. And to do that, I need to get happy right now." The ponies gathered raised their eyebrows at her but she shot them all a look to prove that she was serious. Nervously, they all began to say things in the hope that one of them could help.

"I… uh… Really like your mane?" Said Applethunder.

"You are better at harvesting than me." Said Big Mac.

"I'm pregnant." Said Applebloom.

"You are the… Wait.. What did you say Applebloom?" Asked Spike, as they all looked at her. Applebloom blushed, looking back at them all nervously.

"I found out yesterday when we took Spike to the hospital. I had been throwing up a lot and the Doctor told me I was pregnant." She told the group. Applejack looked at Spike, whose eyes were wide and his mouth was open in shock.

"You work fast, don't you?" Said Big Mac dryly. Spike gave him an awkward smile. Applejack looked back at Applebloom and smiled. She hugged her sister.

"That's perfect. Thank you, and congratulations. Now get to town Square." Said Applejack, pulling out of the hug as she felt warmth spread from her chest all across her body and down to her hooves. She shot a wink to Big Mac before disappearing as she used the power that had been inaccessible to her since she awoke from the coma; super speed. A gold and orange trail followed her as she galloped out of Ponyville. As soon as she got far enough away from the town, Applejack put on speed, ignoring the intense pressure that was building inside her head. Just when she thought it was too much, Applejack broke the sound barrier and her speed increased tenfold. Behind her, a wave of gold and orange energy rippled upward and outward, creating an arch from the ground in the sky.

'My own sonic rainboom… The appleboom. Ah'm coming Rainbow.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rainbow Dash closed her eyes as the Diamond dog's paw descended toward her face, she grimaced, expecting pain, but none came. She sheepishly opened one eye to find that the paw was resting inches above her face, but not moving. The claws suddenly retracted and the arm went limp, falling to the dog's side and revealing what had stopped it; Black Diamond's hidden blade being pulled out of the dog's forehead. It collapsed with a thud. Rainbow released the breath that she had been holding and looked at Diamond.

"Nice shot for somepony with a balance problem." She said, smiling in spite of the situation. Diamond blinked repeatedly for a moment, before sitting down again and vomiting.

"I was aiming for his throat." He said once he stopped throwing up. Twilight burst through the door of the tent and stopped, looking at the dead Diamond dog and then at Diamond. He winked, and Twilight nodded in response. She then began to undo the straps on Rainbow's bed.

"Wait, what are you doing?" Asked Rainbow, "You can't let me out. I might lose control again." Twilight shook her head, undoing the last strap.

"You will be fine, I'm just about to teleport back to Ponyville and get Applejack and the others.' Said Twilight, helping Rainbow off the bed. Rainbow smiled, before realising something.

"Why are you going to Ponyville? I thought Luna was going to do it." Said Rainbow, and Twilight looked at the ground.

"Luna has been captured. We were in the special ops tent when the dogs attacked. They placed something over her horn and dragged her into the earth. I was just lucky I noticed the ground shaking. I was ready for them." Twilight said. Rainbow looked at Diamond, whose eyes were once again cold and serious.

"There is only one place they would have taken her; to the griffin camp. The Griffins have no treaty with Luna and can therefore kill her without provocation. We have to rescue her." Said Diamond, trying to stand, but falling onto the ground. Twilight picked him up off the ground.

"We will, but first things first; I have to go and get Applejack so that you can use your powers without hindrance." Said Twilight, looking at Rainbow, who nodded. Twilight's horn glowed purple and she disappeared. Rainbow took a deep breath, turning to look at Diamond.

"One way or another, it ends today doesn't it?" She asked. Diamond nodded once.

"Finally."