• Published 1st Sep 2012
  • 2,274 Views, 37 Comments

Always connected- Aftermath - The-rogue-shadow



Applejack and Rainbow Dash awake from a coma to find a world where war has changed their friends.

  • ...
2
 37
 2,274

Chapter 16

Applejack was shaken awake by Applebloom, her cheeks were stained with tears and her voice was cracking. She dragged Applejack out of the bed and downstairs, where Applethunder and DuskDrift were crowded around Big Mac and Spike. Applejack sighed as she saw the wounds that covered both of their bodies. Big Mac had an arrow sticking out of his side and from what Applejack could see, one of Spike's wings were broken. Applethunder opened up Spike's wing, and he winced, gritting his teeth. DuskDrift was gripping the arrow as Big Mac placed a piece of wood in his mouth and bit down on it.

"Evomer eht worra." Said DuskDrift, and both her eyes and the arrow started to glow white. Big Mac screamed as the arrow was pulled out. The wound closed behind the arrow and was stitched up by a needle of magic. Applejack sat down in front of them both and glared at them. Applethunder led Spike over to a table and laid out the broken wing. Applejack could just see where it was broken from the very large bruise in the centre of the main wing bone and the fact that it was pushed up slightly at that point. Applethunder took the piece of wood from Big Mac and stuck it in Spike's mouth.

"Applebloom, come here and hold the wing steady for me could you?" asked Applethunder. Applebloom walked over to them and Applejack could see that she was scared and trying to hold back as many tears as she could. She took hold of Spike's wing and held it gently as Applethunder pushed down on the broken bone. Spike screamed, and a gout of green flame disintegrated the piece of wood in his mouth. Applethunder quickly began to wrap the bone tightly in a bandage, setting the bone temporarily.

"Applejack, Applebloom and I are going to take him to the hospital to get a cast put on the wing." Said Applethunder, helping Spike up, but she was stopped by Applejack.

"No. ah want to know what went wrong." She said, looking deep into Big Mac's eyes.

"AJ, if we don't do it soon, the wing could heal wrong and be useless." Protested Applethunder, pleading with her. Applejack just shook her head.

"Well then they better talk fast. Did you save the hostages?" She asked, looking at Big Mac, who nodded once.

"Yeah AJ, we did. We busted in there, creating a huge distraction. Then Spike kept the Minotaur occupied while ah helped the hostages into the street and behind the line of police. Then Iron Will snatched Spike right out of the air and threw him into one of the glass display cases and when he didn't get up… ah attacked, and managed to bring down his two guards before he grabbed an arrow off the ground and stabbed it into my side as we wrestled. The police burst in at the same time and shot him just as he was about to finish me off, and then we came back here." Big Mac told her, and Applejack narrowed her eyes at him.

"So Iron Will is dead now?" She asked, and Big Mac shook his head.

"No such luck. The arrows they shot him with were laced with a paralytic. He just won't be able to move for a while." He replied, and Applejack slapped him across the face and then hugged him.

"You're a dang fool Big Mac, but ah'm glad that you're okay. But next time, ah'm going with you, No questions asked." Applejack said, pulling out of the hug at the same time. She looked at Applethunder and nodded, letting her know that she could take Spike away. Applethunder left, carrying Spike on her back, and Applebloom followed. Applejack turned back to Big Mac and sighed.

"This is more fun that ah would care to admit." Said Big Mac, smiling. Applejack gave him a look and then stood. She bent down and picked up Big Mac's shield, wiping the dirt off it with her hoof. Celestia's cutie mark glistened in the dim light. She took a deep breath and passed it to Big Mac, who strapped it to his arm and stood.

"Shall we?" He asked, smiling even wider. Applejack smiled and rifled through her pocket for her mask, which she promptly pulled over her face.

"We were meant for this weren't we big brother?" She asked and Big Mac nodded.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rainbow pushed Luna away as she latched onto her. The attacking griffin was a blur as it flew past. Circling around and brandishing a large hammer. Rainbow's eyes flashed red once more as the hammer was brought down toward her head. She moved closer grabbing the handle of the hammer and wrenching it out of the griffins grip. Then, using the hammers momentum, swung it back around and hit the griffin in the chin. Rainbow closed her eyes as blood splatter hit her face. The griffin spiralled out of the sky toward the ground and Rainbow let go of the hammer. She turned to Luna and saw the small tears in the corners of her eyes.

"Go back to the camp Luna. The griffins have no treaty with you and will gladly cut you down if they have the chance." She told her. Luna nodded and headed back toward the camp as fast as she could. Rainbow shook her head as she watched her go, wondering how such a timid pony could have brought an entire country to its knees. Rainbow was forced sideways as a tremendous force hit her side and flew her downwards.

"Don't just sit around waiting to be attacked, be proactive." Yelled Derpy, letting go and throwing Rainbow toward a large group of griffins that were part of another wave. Rainbow smiled, unsheathing her sword and flying headlong into the group. Her eyes flashed red again as she tackled the lead griffin, thrusting the sword into its stomach at the same time. She spun away, slashing another across the belly. She felt a wing brush across her back and quickly turned to find Derpy flying back to back, sword in hoof and a smirk on her face.

"Derpy?!" Exclaimed Rainbow, watching as Derpy dodged an axe, punched the griffin in the face and then slashed its throat, all within the space of a second. She was graceful and deadly, not making a wasted movement as she blocked and attacked the marauding creatures.

"Rainbow, pay attention." She said, and Rainbow turned as a sword raked her cheek. Thin trails of blood made their way down to her mouth. The taste of iron began to trigger the transformation and as much as she tried to fight it, she knew it was hopeless. With a cry of pain, her coat changed to dark blue and her mane and tail took on a darker shade, and for the first time, thick lines of a dark fluid like substance branched out across her crystal armour.

"Derpy… Run!" She yelled, feeling all of her control leave her. Derpy turned, only to be batted away by Rainbow Dark's immense strength. She spiralled to the ground as Rainbow Dark smirked. She looked back at the griffins and her smile got wider when she saw some of them back away. The fear in their eyes giving her great satisfaction.

"Oh yeah, that's right… Beware my power." She said, and her eyes flashed again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Applejack and Big Mac walked into the Ponyville police station, only to be stopped by the chief, a unicorn named Coffee Shot. Big Mac shot him a look and the much smaller pony stood aside, smiling awkwardly. The two ponies entered the interrogation room, where Iron Will was chained to a metal table. As far as Applejack could tell, he had only regained the use of his head and mouth and a tiny bit of movement in his fingers.

"Well look who it is; Mare Do Well and, what was your name? Captain Equestria? What do you want?" He asked, as Applejack and Big Mac sat on the chairs across from him.

"I just want you to tell us just how much Flame is involved in your operation. And don't lie; I'm in no kind of mood." Said Applejack, slamming her hoof down on the table and in an amazing moment of luck, had it crumple where she hit. Iron Will jumped at the sound and his ears drooped low to his head.

"I don't know what you are talking about." He said, swallowing as Big Mac raised an eyebrow. Big Mac looked at Applejack and smirked. Applejack gave him a nod and he stood, walking around behind Iron Will and putting a hoof on his shoulder.

"Tell us what you know and we will see about getting your sentence reduced." Said Big Mac, and Iron Will scoffed.

"So that's your game, good cop, bad cop. Well it's nowhere near as effective when you are wearing those ridiculous costumes. And besides, I'm not worried, I know that somepony has my back on the outside." He told them, and Applejack smiled under her mask.

"So it IS a pony then." She said, trying to call him out.

"No, what makes you say that?" Asked Iron Will, looking around with nervous eyes.

"Well you just said Somepony instead of sometauro like most Minotaur do, which makes me think that you are being backed by a powerful pony, one with the connections to get you and your friends out of prison. And I can only think of one pony with those kinds of connections; Mayor Flame." Said Applejack calmly, and Iron Will's eyes went wide and he began to stammer.

"Well.. That's .. Just preposterous. We would never associate with a pony like that." He said nervously.

"A pony like what?" Asked Big Mac, not missing a beat.

"A pony like Flame."

"And why not?" Asked Applejack.

"Because he's cruel! He leads us with an iron hoof and punishes us severely if we fail." Iron Will exclaimed, awkwardly pulling up the leg on his ripped shorts to reveal a very large, shiny burn. Applejack gasped, but managed to hide it from Iron Will, who broke down and started to cry loudly. Applejack and Big Mac left the room and found Coffee Shot coming out of the door next to them.

"Did you get all that?" Big Mac asked and Coffee Shot nodded, walking past them and leading them to a room that was full of police.

"Okay Stallions, gear up, we have a big arrest to make. It's the Mayor; he's the leader of the gangs that we have been fighting for so long. Let's go get him!" He yelled to the assembled ponies, who quickly sprang into action and got ready for either a very peaceful arrest or a full blown war, either way, they all put on padded vests and helmets to protect themselves. Coffee Shot tuned to Applejack and Big Mac as she clipped the helmet securely onto his head.

"Will you both be joining us?" He asked and Applejack just nodded in response. The police marched out of the station in force, and headed straight for town hall, but as they started to surround the building they were assaulted with arrows and fireballs, all stemming from within. The police retreated, lest they be annihilated.

"How did he find out that we were coming?" Big Mac asked as he and Applejack dived behind the monument in the town centre. Applejack shrugged, quickly poking her head out the side of the rock, before pulling it back sharply as a large fireball landed right were her head had been.

"Okay, I can see Flame on the top floor balcony. And It looks like there are a few police in the windows next to Minotaur. I'm guessing they are the ones that were being paid to get the Minotaur off the hook. Big Mac… We need help. They have to have hostages, think about it; it's the middle of the work day, all of the officials must be inside right now." Said Applejack, her voice full of worry.

"Pity Derpy isn't here; she would just bring the building down on top of them by accident." Joked Big Mac, smiling. Applejack hit him in the arm.

"This is serious, what are we going to do?" She asked, "Like you said earlier, I couldn't teleport, even if I wanted to. But if we don't do something, it could be a disaster."

"Do you think we can make it back to the library? I have an idea." Said Big Mac. They both made a break for the library, with Big Mac and his shield protecting both Applejack and himself from the onslaught of Flame's troops. They busted through the door of the library to find Applebloom, Applethunder, DuskDrift and even a weary Spike, his wing encased in a white plaster cast.

"We have a problem, and you are the only ones that can help." Said Applejack, tearing off her mask and smiling at her assembled family and friends.