• Published 25th Feb 2021
  • 3,208 Views, 97 Comments

Sunset Shimmer Discovers Her Feet - TheOneAJ



Little mermaid Sunset Shimmer Crossover... oh and shipping somewhere in there ❤️

  • ...
10
 97
 3,208

Act 6, Video Rage & First Night Dinner Dates

“Really?” Sunset said, tilting her head. “Octavia Melody and Sonata Dusk?”

“I mean, they weren't doing anything to suggest they were actually a couple,” Twilight said as she ran a finger over her friend’s video game library. “But they were by themselves and clearly giggling,” She paused over a game. “Why, you think they wouldn’t work out?”

“I guess they have the whole music thing going for them,” Sunset shrugged, leaning against her sofa. Sunset genuinely smiled. This was nice. Just her, her apartment, her best friend Twilight Sparkle, video games, pizza in about an hour, and harmless gossip about the love life of their fellow classmates and reforming sirens. “Then again, I wouldn’t have thought Octavia Melody and Vinyl Scratch would have gotten along so well,”

“Aren’t those two related?” Twi questioned. “I actually thought they were cousins.”

Sunset was about to respond when her backpack started to glow. Neither girl said anything for a moment. Then Sunset reached into her bag, pulled out the friendship journal, and tossed it aside, where it landed under one of the TV trays before it stopped glowing.

“So what game you got picked out, Twi?” she asked quickly, sitting up straight.

“Um...” Twilight said nervously, running her hand through Sunset’s game collection. “How about...Tirek’s Revenge?”

“Perfect!” Sunset snatched the game from Twilight and raced over to put it in. “Let’s get our game on!” As the game loaded, she looked over to Twilight who was shifting anxiously. “It’s fine. I’m fine. Can we just have some fun?”

Twilight began to protest for a moment, but decided to let it go. She knew that pushing things with Sunset wouldn’t do any good, and honestly, Twilight simply wanted to enjoy her time with Sunset.

“Okay,” Twilight nodded, a wicked smile crossing her face as the game’s music started to play. “But, you ready to get creamed?”

“In your dreams, Sparky!” Sunset stuck out her tongue as they picked their characters. “Now get your game on!”

“Oh, you’re going to get it!” Twilight laughed as the screen went,

‘Ready? FIGHT!’

The girls let out their war cries.

🥊🎮🥊🕹🥊


“So, you just bring home a mute girl you happen to find on the beach who looks similar to that girl that rescued you, and it’s no big deal?” Shining Armor clarified, the smugness in his voice undeniable.

“I mean…” Twilight said, continually looking out the dining room window. “It seemed like the right thing to do,” She scowled at her brother. “And don’t you get any ideas! I just felt bad for mixing her up with somebody else I owe a favor to. That’s all,”

Shining Armor crossed his arms and looked down to Spike who merely shook his head.

“Okay,” he replied, looking back up at his sister. “I mean, that’s nice of you, Twily, but-

“Aren’t you supposed to still be feeling bad for planning my birthday party during a hurricane?”

Shining Armor said nothing, as that very fact had been eating him alive for the past several days. The party, the storm, forgetting Spike on the boat, not being able to stop Twilight when she went back for him, no matter how much his wife told him he couldn’t have done anything.Then when, bless the gods, they found his sister on the beach, rambling about some golden goddess who saved her. After, many young women stepped forward claiming to ‘be the one’, only to not be so and were clearly looking for his sister's favor. Which didn’t help at all for Twilight’s anxiety. They were always uppity, spoiled brats, who saw a friendship with Twilight as little more than a means to an end for her crown. Experiences that had taught Twilight to never try to make friends.

Then, out of the blue, his sister found some girl on the beach who looked like this mystery girl and, hell, decided to help her? It was an odd sight for Shining Armor to say the least. Even more so to see Twilight genuinely happy to be talking to someone outside her family, and someone who seemed just as eager to listen. It was more than enough for him to put aside his own personal feelings of his sister's harsh comment to keep this golden opportunity of passing by.

“Hey, I deserved that,” he said, after a sigh, patting Twilight on the shoulder. “I’m just saying, Spike seemed to like her,” He smiled as the puppy on the floor gave a little yip in approval.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Oh yes, it was clearly love at first sight. Better get on with the wedding!”

Before Shining could comment, his wife, Princess Cadence, let out a little cough from the doorframe. “Come on, dear! Don’t be shy.”

Twilight turned, her face lighting up at the firey-haired beauty that walked forward. Her sister-in-law did a marvelous job in getting the girl cleaned up. Not a trace of seaweed in her hair, skin radiating from the bath, a pink dress that fit snuggly upon that body-

“Thank you!” Twilight blurted, coughing upon feeling her brother and Spike smirking at her. “I mean, you look nice,”

The girl smiled and bowed her head.

“Doesn’t she?” Cadence beamed, walking up behind them. “I must say, your poor friend was quite a wreck. You’d think she lived in the ocean her whole life. Thankfully, I was able to find the pretty face under all that sand!”

“We’re not friends,” Twilight explained plainly, winching at the look the girl was giving her upon saying that. “Oh, no! I mean, I, no, I didn’t mean that to be personal, miss. I’m sure you have family and friends looking for you,” Her stomach twisted when the girl looked away at that. “No! I mean—

“What my sister means to say,” Shining said, stepping in, “is if you’d like to stay for dinner and the night, we’ll gladly loan you one of the quest rooms,”

“We would?” Twilight questioned.

“We would?” Cadence said confused, before it clicked. “I mean, yes of course we would!” She leaned in to whisper loudly to the girl, “And don’t worry, when my sister in law acts in such an adorkable way, it means, deep down, she likes you,”

“Cadence!” Twilight shouted, face read at both women’s amusement. However, Twilight found her heart melting at the girl’s soundless giggles. Oh, how her face shimmered and radiated, and made her tummy—

“So, dinner, what are we having?” Twilight said, spinning around, acting like the males of the room weren't acting any cheekier.

👗💖👗💖👗


“No, no, NO! God damnit, NO!” Sunset hollered, standing on her couch as she kept pressing buttons furiously.

Right as Twilight landed the final blow, the screen screamed KO!, Sunset threw her face into the sofa and screamed to the heavens.

The doorbell rang.

“Oh! Pizza’s here!” Twilight perked up.

“AAAAHHHH!” Sunset cried, her face still buried as she kicked her legs in the air.

“Oh there, there,” Twilight smiled, patting her friend’s back. “It wasn’t that bad of a loss,”

Sunset muttered something that sounded like swearing, and Twilight stood up to get their dinner. As she did so, Sunset sucked in a breath and pulled herself up.

“You really have an issue with losing,” Twilight commented as she brought the pizza to the couch.

“I didn’t notice,” Sunset muttered.

“Aw, a sore loser, are we?” Twilight giggled, only to take it back when she noticed Sunset tensed at that. “I mean, I’m sure you’ll get me next time,”

“Don’t patronize me,” Sunset breathed through her nose. “Sorry, Twilight, but yes, I realize I have a problem.” She nibbled on her pizza then said, “I ever tell you why that is?”

“Huh?” Twilight blinked. “Um, I don’t think so,”

Sunset blew at her hair. “It—” her eyes drifted to the journal, glowing once again. “Well… it has a lot to do with my parents,”

Twilight straightened herself up. “Your parents?”

“Yeah,” Sunset cringed. “I mean, no!” She brought a hand to her forehead. “They weren't abusive if that's what you’re thinking. Well, physically or intentionally anyways,” She began to rub her temples, before feeling Twilight scoot over.

“Hey, we don’t have to talk about it if you don’t want to,” Twilight assured, squeezing her friend’s shoulder.

“No, I…” Sunset started, before melting at her friend’s gaze and sighing. “It’s complicated. As cliché as that sounds. The super short version I can give was they were somehow both the type who wanted what was best for me, and never satisfied with what I did at the same time. Which kind of, as you’ve seen, gave me a bit of a complex,”

Twilight simply nodded, feeling this wasn’t a time for jokes.

“And they were hypocrites most of the time too,” Sunset laughed weakly. “I bet they want to tell me that they’re disappointed that I turned into a raging she-demon and nearly took over the world, while also chastising me for not being successful in that little endeavor at the same time,” Her fist clenched. “But hey, all for love, am I right?” she turned to see Twilight frowning. “Sorry,”

“No, I’m glad you told me,” Twilight leaned into Sunset, looking at the journal which was still glowing, but much more faintly. “I’m guessing that’s them trying to reach you,”

Sunset shrugged. “It’s mostly been your counterpart playing middle mare in this whole thing.”

“Oh.” Twilight tapped on the couch. “What they say?”

“Um,” Sunset gave a weak laugh. “I hadn’t really seen it. Princess Twilight said they just learned through Princess Celestia about my whereabouts after my last visit,”

Twilight put a hand to her chin. “Maybe they just want to know what happened to you?” she offered, tugging at her skirt. “You know? Make sure that you’re okay.”

Sunset blew at her bangs. “That’s rather optimistic thinking.”

“They’re still your parents,” Twilight pointed out.

“That doesn’t mean I owe them anything,” Sunset said, crossing her arms and looking to the side.

“I never said that,” Twilight assured. “I know how this might sound, but you don’t owe anyone forgiveness. Not even your family,”

Sunset stared. “Wow, Sparky, that was rather deep,” She smirked. “Where did you learn it?”

“Cadence, believe it or not.” Twilight said with a wave of her hand. “That said, she did also say that it doesn't hurt to at least hear a person out if they’re going through the trouble to apologize. Then you can judge for yourself. Personally, even a half-assed apology is better than none. Best case, it’s them admitting what they did wrong, at worse, it’s something you can hold them to if they do it again.”

“Maybe,” Sunset said, a moment of indecision as she looked from Twilight to the journal. “Still, I don’t know. It’s, well, I mean—

Suddenly, Twilight shoved the game controller into her hands. “How about a few more rounds and you can think it over as you learn how to lose graciously?” Twilight beamed that adorable smile Sunset had come to love.

Sunset sat there for a moment. A million emotions ran through her. Maybe, with her best friend by her side, she could at least humor her parents by seeing what they had to say. And like Twilight said, she didn’t have to forgive them, but at least hearing what they had to say couldn’t hurt.

“Who said I was going to lose this time?” Sunset bopped Twilight on the nose.
“And don’t you go easy on me just because you think that would make me happy, Sparky!”

Twilight giggled. “As if!”

Sunset smiled, looking to the closet, but focused her gaze on Twilight, before going back to the game.

🍕🎮🗡📖


Sunset had to admit, aside from Twilight being rather dense, she thought things were going remarkably well so far. Once being handed off to Twilight’s sister in law, a princess Cadence, to be cleaned and dressed, the older princess went on and on about how excited she was at the idea of Twilight making a friend. To which Sunset found herself liking this woman rather quickly. She was very kind and encouraging, made sure she didn’t feel overwhelmed with all her new experiences of being a human, and seemed to be smarter than Twilight, which was nice.

“Thank you so very much for saving my sister, by the way,” Cadence smiled as she pulled a pink dress over Sunset’s head.

Once the dress was pulled over her head, Sunset stared at her dumbfoundly.

“I know Twilight insists you're not the one just because you lost your voice in what I could only guess must have been a traumatizing shipwreck,” “Cadence let out a sigh. “But do know, we owe you a lot for that.”

Lady, if I didn’t need it to be Twilight, I would kiss you right now!

“It’s just,” Cadence let out a little sigh. “Go slow with her. I think you two would make great friends, if I’m being honest.”

Hopefully more really, really, soon, Sunset grimaced.

“She simply never had a friend her own age before. Too many girls only care that she’s a princess rather than a sweet girl. With that said…” Sunset felt the dress tighten at her waist. “...if you’re only after her crown like all those other brats, I’ll break your heart into so many pieces, even the gods couldn’t put them back together!”

Sunset’s eyes widened in fear as she held up her hands and shook her head. No! I don’t care about any of that! I’d love her regardless of some stupid birth rights!

Cadance quickly perked back up and nodded eagerly. “Good! Now come along dear,” She took Sunset’s hand and led her out into the hallway. “Oh, don’t be shy,” she insisted, pushing Sunset into the dining room, and towards a now very flustered Twilight Sparkle.

Once introductions and her living arrangements had been made, they were sat down. To Sunset’s delight, there were dinglehoppers arranged on the table.

So, human's comb their hair before meals? she shrugged and grabbed it, running it through her hair. Well, when in the human world, I guess.

She combed for a second before noticing there was an uncomfortable silence at the table. Looking up, she saw Twilight giving her an odd glance, Cadence staring with her jaw dropped, and Shining Armor looking dumbstruck.

Worried, she gave an awkward smile and quickly set the comb down.

“Um, so…” Shining said awkwardly, raising his pipe to his mouth. “Where are you from?”

Before anyone could point out Sunset couldn’t answer, Cadence said, “Must you smoke at the table, dear?”

Shining rolled his eyes. “It was just a puff,” he promised, setting the pipe down within Sunset’s reach. “It’s not as if—hey!”

Sunset’s eyes widened in delight at the instrument. Eager to give it a try, she brought it to her mouth, and right as Shining tried to stop her, she blew, shooting black soot into Shining's face.

Sunset’s eyes widened, but relaxed when she turned to see Twilight laughing.

“I mean...” Twilight coughed, when all eyes turned to her.

“Why, Twily,” Cadenced beamed. “That’s the first time I’ve seen you smile in weeks!”

Sunset perked up.

“Well, I mean...” Twilight said with a blush. “Shining is a dork.”

“I resent that!” he protested as he cleaned up his face.

“That he is.” Cadence nodded. She turned to Sunset, giving the girl a wink.

“Although, it’s funny that he’s been by your side for the past several weeks, and when you're new…” Cadence cleared her throat. “When this lovely young lady came into the equation—

“So where do you come from?” Twilight said, before realizing Sunset couldn’t talk. “Oh, oh, drat! I mean, no! Hehe. Er, I mean, maybe you could write it down or something, or maybe if you wouldn’t know how to use a map. Wait, would you even know-

Sunset stopped paying attention as an idea crossed her mind.

Write it down….oh. Oh hohoho! Ha! Perfect! Oh, this is perfect! Hahaha, take that, you stupid sea witch and Celestia. Not thinking things through my flipper!

She tugged onto Twilight’s shoulder.
“What, what? Oh no, am I babbling again? I’m so sorry, I know it can be annoying, but I can’t help it. I mean, did the chicken come first? Or is it possible elephant seals grew their trunks just so one day we could call them—

“Um, Twilight,” Cadence cleared her throat. “Perhaps you could see what she wants?”

Twilight blinked and turned her head.

Sunset shook her head in bemusement, before making a writing motion with her hands.

“Oh?” Twilight paused. “Oh! So you can write?”

Sunset nodded enthusiastically.

With that, Shining called one of the servants to fetch a quill and paper. It arrived not a moment later. Sunset brought the pen to the paper then paused, thinking about how to best word the fact she was the one who saved Twilight from that storm because she was a mermaid, and that Twilight needed to kiss her within three days to remain human without coming off as crazy. In the end, she decided to simply write down,

Yes, I’m the one who saved you, Twilight. Kind of lost my voice a short while ago. My name is Sunset Shimmer.

Smiling, she passed the note to Twilight and waited for a response. For the praise, admiration, and the love Twilight would show. That was, until Twilight looked at the writing, and with a confused expression asked,

“I guess you can’t write English then?”

The pen snapped in Sunset’s grasp.

To be fair, she should have figured it would have been too easy for humans to write in Atlantean, despite somehow being able to speak it. Life really wasn’t fair and cruel sometimes. But at least Sunset could still curse inwardly.

“Well that’s a shame,” Shining Armor frowned, before it seemed like he was coming up with an idea of his own. The look he gave his wife seemed to suggest it was a great one.

“Still, I suppose for someone as smart as you, Twily, it would be easy to figure out what language she writes in?”

“I suppose,” Twilight hummed to herself, looking the words over from several angles. “Although if I didn’t know better, I’d swear this is some combination of Greek, Mesopotamian and… Syrian? Huh. Then again, it’s been awhile since I’ve touched either language.”

“Is it now?” Cadence added, supposedly figuring out what her husband was thinking. “Well, perhaps if you can figure that much out, it wouldn’t hurt for you to help your friend learn how to read and write English as well?”

“Then maybe you can take her to the town library tomorrow on a date to see if you can’t learn more?” Shining threw out quickly, adding in an innocent whistle.

“Sure, sounds fine,” Twilight simply nodded, focused on Sunset’s scribbles and not realizing what she had just agreed to for several seconds. Once she had, she jerked up. “What? No! I mean…”

Twilight paused, looking to a now very excited guest.

For a brief second, Sunset frowned at some wisdom Celestia had once bestowed upon her.

Always be on the lookout for how to turn your problems into solutions, Sunset Shimmer...

She shook her head and refocused on how perfect this all was.

I get to spend more time with Twilight, hopefully bond and get to learn about the human written word while I’m at it! This is officially the best day ever!

That was, until she looked at Twilight’s nervous stature and shrank back. She was worried she may have seemed too eager. However, upon seeing her puppy dog eyes, Twilight let out a sigh.

“Well… I suppose I could,” Twilight tugged at her hair. “Been awhile since I’ve been to the town library. I mean, would you want to join me, miss?” Twilight let out a squeak when Sunset threw her arms around her, much to Shining and Cadence’s bemusement as their dinner plates were brought in.

🦀 📝 ✍️ 🥘

Author's Note:

Dose anyone know how to copy and paste comments made on your google docs? Been making Notes a real chore >.>

Anyways, thank you SCG for the EQG chapter art, which is also being used as a temporary cover, just to see how different pics go for awhile.

Also thank you ArielFan for the early birthday gift (may 4th) and for MythKaz for drawing it! won’t be used for the dramatic reading, but is still awesome!
And as always, such art is made possible by donors such as,
Admiral Typhoon, Saita the Kirin, Fanura Joy, & Peppermint Papa
If you’d like to help out as well, either with art or by sponsoring, ask so about it below and thanks for reading 🌟