• Published 5th Dec 2020
  • 1,266 Views, 31 Comments

A Smartypants for a Little Sister - Jinzou



A young Twilight finds out that Shining is enlisting. She tries her best to stop him.

  • ...
3
 31
 1,266

A New Guardian

“I don’t wanna go!” I whined.

“Twilight, honey,” Mom crooned, “you get to go live with the Princess! Aren’t you happy about that?”

I fell quiet for several moments.

I didn’t know how to phrase exactly what I was feeling. It was a whole bunch of complicated emotions, but one stood out to me.

I was scared.

I was terrified.

“Y-yes…” I responded, my body involuntarily shaking. “But I don’t want to move away from home. It’s… scary!”

My gaze met the floor as I admitted my thoughts. I was scared. I wasn’t going to have Mom gently wake me up every morning. I wouldn’t get Dad’s forehead kiss before I ran off to school. I wouldn’t get to walk home with Shining Armor anymore.

Things were all going to change, and it scared me. It scared me on a level I couldn’t comprehend or explain yet.

I curled my entire body around Mom’s sitting form, and a moment later she was hugging me.

I fought back a wet sniffle.

I was the personal student of the Princess now. I was an important, smart pony.

But the thought of leaving home was too much to bear. I didn’t like change! Change was scary and I didn’t like facing scary without my mommy or big brother.

Yes, I was going under the mentorship of the Princess, but still…

I wiped a couple tears on Mom’s leg. If I was to be a big tough magical mare, I couldn’t cry. That wasn’t tough.

“And in five months, you’ll have another surprise!” Dad chirped as he entered the room, flanked by Shining Armor.

“Twily!” Shining smiled as he saw me. “Guess who- oh no, are you okay?”

His smile instantly disappeared as he saw my tear-struck face.

Personal student to the princess, I needed to be a big brave pony. C’mon Twilight, remember what Cadance taught you.

I took several deep breaths and willed my heartbeat to slow as I separated from Mom’s leg and padded over to my brother.

“I’m sorry,” I apologized. “What were you saying?”

Shining’s grin returned. “Finally got word from my recruiter. I ship out to boot camp in two months!”

My brain shut down at that.

Nonononononononono

NO!

“Bu- you can’t!” I squeaked, my heart pounding in my chest. “No!”

“Don’t even worry about it, Twily.” Shining gently tousled my mane. “It’s gonna take more than those Drill Sergeants have to take me down. Don’t worry about that.”

He gently placed a hoof on my withers.

I pushed his hoof off, pulling away from him as tears now streaked down my face.

“You can’t join the guard!” I wailed. “Soldiers die!”

“I…” Shining’s smile disappeared completely. “Twily, we’re in peace time. That’s not something you have to worry about.”

My whole body shivered as I backed up. “Y-you can’t! I’ll… I-I’ll tell Princess Celestia to not let you in! You can’t die!”

My gaze flickered to my parents, each wearing matching concerned expressions.

“I-I’m sorry, Twilight.” Dad apologized. “I didn’t think you’d react this way, but why do you think-”

“I read it in a book!” I yelled. “An-and read that lots of military ponies die! So it’s true! Shiny can’t go!”

“Twily…” Shining Armor started, reaching out with a hoof. I ducked under it and ran underneath him, running all the way to my room, sobbing wildly.


For the rest of the night and most of the next day, I refused to come out of my room. I pushed my nightstand in front of the door so nopony could push their way in, and jumped into my bed, throwing the covers over me, trying my best to hide from the world.

It was all too much.

I kept ignoring Mom, Dad, and Shining all knocking on my door, trying to talk to me, and heard quiet conversation outside my door three different times.

This cycle persisted until shortly after lunch, when somepony knocked on my door and I heard a different voice.

“Twilight, it’s Cadance. Can I come in?”

My heart instantly leapt in my chest. Maybe Cadance could convince Shining not to join and he wouldn’t have to die! Or maybe she was here to tell me she had fast-tracked him in and he was going to die.

I pushed the nightstand away from the door and slowly opened it, greeted by the kind gaze of the best foal-sitter in the entire galaxy.

Cadance was the nicest, sweetest, kindest, best-est pony in the entire world and I knew if anypony could make this situation better, it was her.

My body shook violently as she strode into my room, and a moment later I was throwing myself into her embrace, loudly sobbing into her chest.

For several minutes we sat like that, me crying and her just hugging me and running a hoof through my mane, occasionally shushing me when the sobs got stronger.

“Hey, Twilight.” Cadance whispered to me, lifting my head so my gaze met her gentle, light purple eyes.

“Mhm?” I sniffled.

“I know you’re upset about Shiny, but I’m here to tell you there’s no chance of going into battle. We’re not in a war right now, and do you know what?”

I shook my head.

“If we ever do go to war, and he tries to go out and fight, I’m gonna kick his butt.”

I gave off a slight chuckle as I wiped my nose off on a foreleg.

“In fact,” Cadance smiled, “I will use all my powers to make sure he doesn’t. He has a little sister to go home to. And in fact…” Cadance winked slyly at me. “If he tries to argue, I’ll make him do something like maid duty. I’ll make him wear the dresses and everything! Feather dusters, apron with a big pink heart on it, just make it as cute as possible. And I’ll take pictures so we can both laugh at him together!”

I chuckled again and smiled as I pushed myself harder into Cadance’s embrace, slightly nuzzling her chest.

“But I know you’ll be scared.” Cadance resumed running her hoof through my mane. “Shiny knows too, so he’s been working on making something for you so you can remain brave while he’s off at basic training. Do you remember that little dance I taught you after Shining scared you with his dumb ol’ ladybug stories?”

I gasped happily as I quickly met Cadance’s gaze. “The Sunshine, Sunshine dance!”

“You are correct.” Cadance grinned as she gently booped my nose. “And what did I tell you when I taught you that?”

"T-to um... whenever Shining was being…” I quickly looked around the room, making sure nopony else was in earshot. “A… big ol’ butt to me, or I feel scared by the little buggies to think back on the dance and know that they can't ever hurt me or do anything to me because you'll always help me."

“Exactly!” Cadance beamed. “So can Shining come in and show you what he made for you?”

I fell quiet for a few moments.

“...Uh-huh.”

“Shiny!” Cadance called out into the hallway. “You can come in now!”

Shining slowly stepped into my room, dropping his saddlebags and sitting down.

“I’m really sorry I scared you, Twily.” Shining Armor apologized as he opened up his saddlebags, looking appropriately sad. “But since I won’t be around to help you with your homework, or to be your protector, I got you somepony that will.”

He pulled a gray pony doll out. It was wearing blue and white polka-dotted pants, had a raggedy dark blue mane and tail with little white rings, and its eyes were two differently colored buttons.

“This is Smartypants.” Shining smiled as he levitated the doll over to me. I shifted in Cadance’s embrace so I was facing Shining, but still had Cadance's hooves wrapped around me, and pulled the doll in close to my chest. “I put a piece of my soul into her, so she’s magically bound to protect you for as long as she’s standing. And she loves reading too! So she’d love to read with you! I’m uh… sorry about the eyes, I only had differently colored buttons…”

I squeezed Smartypants tighter and wiped my eyes off on her mane.

“I… I love her.” My lower lip trembled. “But I’m still scared! Please don’t die!”

Shining chuckled and lifted my chin so our gazes met. “I promise you I won’t, kiddo. You’re always gonna have your BBBFF around, Twily.”

“My… my what?”

Shining Armor winked. “Your Big Brother Best Friend Forever, of course, you silly goose.”

My body shook again as I let out a wet sniffle, leaping into Shining’s embrace. I stayed there quietly for a few moments, soaking in his warmth and love.

“I love you, BBBFF,” I whispered through silent tears.

“Love you too, Twily,” he whispered back.

Comments ( 31 )

De-light-ful!

Gotta be honest, this was adorable. I loved how you turned Twilight's random fear of ladybugs from that one short into the origin of the "Sunshine, sunshine" dance, complete with it being Shining that did it to her. I don't think I've ever seen the "Shining Armor made Smarty Pants" thing before, but it's a really good explanation as to why it looks so raggedy, and it gives some great depth to their relationship.

I also think you did a great job of keeping Twilight in character as a young girl who is very smart but not mature, especially with how she overreacts and always jumps to the worst case scenario like in the show. Little things like:

"T-to um... whenever Shining was being…” I quickly looked around the room, making sure nopony else was in earshot. “A… big ol’ butt to me,

That's just precious, how she's afraid of someone hearing her use the incredibly dirty word "butt." The relationships were great to, not just Twilight and Shining, but also Twilight and Cadance. She still has that story book perfection going on.

I think the beginning bits were a bit.. tell-y. "I was terrified." "I didn't like change." I feel you could have done a better job conveying these ideas without just telling us. Maybe more body language like twitching tails, pawing at the ground, shaking, etc. Or use more of her nerdy thought process. Like it was great when she thought Cadance was "the best foal sitter in the galaxy," not the world.

Still, I highly enjoyed this little slice of life from the young Sparkle siblings. Cute, a bit sad, and utterly heart warming. Great job! :twilightsmile:

why is twilight so damn adorable? i love this so much.

Headcanon accepted on the origins of Smarty Pants! :twilightsmile:

I loved this from start to finish!

Approved for Twilight's Library

This was really cute!

Oh wow... :pinkiesad2: That was beautiful.

10566479
Very punny. :rainbowwild:


10566480
Might look at the telly bits in a bit and see what I can do, but thank you for your nice words!


10566518
because filly


10566641
The best character, honestly. Smartypants could take down anyone in the pony universe with one hoof. :twilightsmile:


10566754

10566860

10567526
Thanks!


10566756
It be her.


10566825
So does that mean I can add it or... what?

For some reason in my mind, when I saw the cover art I thought of Twilight's horn that is hidden behind Shining to be stabbing into his neck while magic tendrils reached out for his brain, all the while lil Twi was thinking, "Now, let's see what dirty little thought you have Shiny. Muhehaheahahaa." It's better if you think of Twilight thinking that in a comicly devious voice.

10567542
It's been added by me.

10567608
I like it.

10567869
Oh, well thanks!

This is very sad, I love it so much

Damn you, Jinz.
Almost got me crying.

Awwwwww. This was beautiful, a very touching and very real moment for the Twilight family. It was lovely to see everyone play a role in the story. I also like to see Twilight actually upset about moving away from her family. It’s something that people just kinda gloss over with Twilight.
Very pleasant read, well done

Really sweet story here, Jinz. I love the little tie-in to Twily's fear of ladybugs. I think this is the first fic I've seen that had Smartypants be something that Shining gave to her, which is a nice little headcanon. Cadance being the one to crack her armor was a great choice as well.

My only constructive critique would be that some of the narrative—which, since this is first-person perspective, is even more of an extension of Twilight's thoughts than third-person-limited is—uses vocabulary that I personally would have simplified. With how young Twilight is, along how simple her most of her dialogue is, words like "persisted" and "conspiratorially" threw me off a little bit as belonging to her at this age. Then again, this could just be a nitpick, as you could argue that she thinks with bigger words than she feels confident using yet.

In any case, it's a good story, and an easy fave. :twilightsmile:

10568534
I'm so glad!

10568702
Mission failed, we'll get 'em next time.

10568797
Thanks! And I'm so glad you liked it!

I mean, I couldn't see Twilight not getting upset. When I was that age any sort of change like that freaked the fuck out of me and I know I wasn't alone. Hell, I even felt a weaker sense of that when I first moved into the dorms at college.

10568912
:twilightsmile:

10569010
I'm somewhat surprised the idea that Shining gave her Smartypants is rare. I mean it's raggedy enough that it looks... well, not officially made, and we know she cares a bit about it even years later, so that makes me think she got it as a present from somebody she was close with, and it's nostalgic value.

Thanks for the kind words and I'll take a look at that vocabulary when I get off work.

That was a nice little bit of cuteness. :twilightsmile:

This fanfic is just so scrumptious, wholesome, sweet, and heartwarming! The adorableness and the believability for this sweet lil' slice of life-er is unbelievably awesome! I hope ya didn't mind, but I simply had to make a reading on this super adorbs story!

Audio Linkyloo!: https://youtu.be/BKe4M_t-pAM

(I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment in any way!)

10569876
Glad you enjoyed it!

10570045
Agh, you spoil me. Thanks!

11/10 on the Cuteness Scale. I love how easily you conveyed the fact that change is scary, as inevitable as it is. You did absolutely wonderful man!

10582220
Ah, change. The nebulous concept of ever entangling affairs that keep me up at night, fearing of the faceless, of the unknown.

:unsuresweetie:

Also thanks.

Liked it alot but it was cheapened by the fact that Shining Armor thanks to nepotism is never at risk of dying in battle. All I can think of is some other filly who's big brother is joining the army who has no royal marefriend. That if war breaks out he might die, leaving that filly alone, same conversation, same doll given by the brother, but no certainty of survival, there is an actual cost for the brother joining the army.

All this to say that the story is great but Cadance and Twilight's infleunce cheapens the impact sigficantly, Twilight is just upset that her brother is going away, it might as well be college.

10669687
This is also what cadance said to Twilight. Could be nepotistic, could be that she just said that to calm her down. However I can absolutely see your point and can't disagree.

"If we ever do go to war, and he tries to go out and fight, I’m gonna kick his butt."

...No. I can't see her doing that. Love does not deny the purpose of the soul-brand on the hip of the beloved in such a way. But perhaps "If we ever do go to war, and he needs to go out and fight, I’m gonna be right next to him kicking butt together." maybe also adding in an unknowing prophecy "And then you won't need to worry, because our love together could halt an army in its tracks... no...it could do more than that! It could send an army flying over the horizon! And if even THAT doesn't work? We will have you, the smartest, most magical young mare in the world to rescue us."

I happened to have this in my copy-paste buffer so I am going to leave it here since it is fairly relevant.
A lot of people are going to get hurt tomorrow. All we can do is stand in the way of that and say, "Not them. Me. If you need to hurt someone, hurt me."... Because the alternative is to look at someone else, someone weaker and more vulnerable, and tell them that you want them to be hurt instead of you.
O-Chul

tl;dr - These are the (future) heroes of Equestria, do not sell their bravery short. Of course the core idea of this story could still apply but "Bravery is not the absence of fear..."

10669687
The show doesn't bear that out though. Shining Armor is doing patrols in the arctic without back-up (which Celestia could have sent with the couple) and gets his horn filled with evil crystals. The only reason I can see him not being on the front lines is that his power and type of magic makes him a strategic level asset.

11510839
This story was never meant to realistically leave the message "Shining will never have to fight because nepotism". In this universe he'd fight the same as anybody else.

It was something said to calm down a little filly that was freaking out, scared for her brother. Just that.

And yes, that may be bad writing. That said, I like your suggestion a lot more and I may just change the story. Thank you for your comment.

11512565
Thank you for the clarification. It makes me feel better.

You are welcome.

As for calming her down... well, I have Honesty as very high in my personal hierarchy of virtues, and may be projecting on Shining and Cadance a bit.

Login or register to comment