• Published 6th Dec 2020
  • 4,850 Views, 189 Comments

Back to Normal, No - Revanius



Desperate not to be alone Sunset does something she never wanted to do, lie

  • ...
10
 189
 4,850

Chapter 4

You know it's kind of funny The voice said, In your determination to get your friends back you have gone against the princess' lessons and ended up alone just like you feared.

"I'm well aware of what I've done, you don't need to keep reminding me," Sunset said annoyed as she kicked a pebble off the sidewalk. "And I'm not alone, I have my friends back and that's what matters."

They might hang out with you again but they do not trust you.

"I'm not sure they ever trusted me considering how mad they were about Anon-A-Miss. But I can hardly blame them, we were terrible."

And do you think they'll ever trust you now, they all think you were Anon-A-Miss and Rarity thinks I'm your demon influencing you. You've proven your not that way anymore and they might have learned to really trust you if you kept pleading your innocence.

"We already had this conversation, if I kept it up I would be completely alone, its better this way. Now can you please leave me alone this is my only free day this week and I'd like to not spend it arguing with my own head?"

The voice did not answer so Sunset took that as agreeing. The voice had only gotten more annoying after the Christmas party the previous night and now seemed determined for Sunset to tell the girls the truth. Now that it was silent though Sunset really had no idea what to do with her free day. At the party, the girls had asked her to do things with them on different days of the week only leaving today free for her. While none of them had said it Sunset suspected it was to 'make-up' for Anon-A-Miss, she suspected the activities would be chalked full of remedial friendship lessons they thought she needed to relearn.

First, she would be helping Applejack on the farm, though she was not sure what there was to do in the winter, then indoor sports with Rainbow at the sports center the next day. Then modeling for Rarity, baking with Pinkie, and helping out at the shelter with Fluttershy. Of them, the only ones she did not believe were based on Anon-A-Miss was Fluttershy and Pinkie since they asked Sunset to do those things with them almost every week.

Sunset looked up at the sky, watching the gentle snowfall. "Maybe I should just go home and catch up on my sleep." She said but did not want to go back there just yet. Instead, she meandered her way to the mall, at least it was warm and full of people. "I could go to the music store or the food court, I don't know."

She continued her purposeless wondering until she reached the water fountain. On a whim she dug out a penny, she normally would not waste money on something she knew was a superstition but it was just a penny and it couldn't hurt. "I wish my friends knew I was innocent." She thought tossing the coin into the fountain watching it sink, it did not make her feel any better.

"I guess I should go home, coming here was not the best idea."

"Sunset Shimmer?"

Sunset looked to the side, seeing Trixie carrying a large box come up next to her. "I thought that was you." She said.

"Hey Trixie, what you doing here?" Sunset asked eying the box.

"I was clearing out some of my old magic equipment at home and thought I could get some extra money as well. After that I need to resupply my smoke bombs," Trixie explained fidgeting slightly. "Want to come?"

Sunset thought it over for a second and thought it was better than the alternative. "Sure, could be fun."

The magician gave a small squee before recomposing herself. "Of course it will be, You're hanging out with the Great and Powerful Trixie." She tried to make a dramatic pose nearly causing her to lose grip on her box.

"Please don't make me regret agreeing to this."

***

Sunset had only been to a magic store once since she arrived from Equestria, during her early months in the new world she came to one thinking it might have real magic. When she discovered it was just parlor tricks and basic illusions instead of real magic she had dismissed it and had never had a reason to go to another. Even after her reformation she still rolled her eyes at 'magic' stores and tended to scoff at those who actually bought from them. The fact that she was now in one with someone she had long considered to be a 'wannabe stage magician' spoke to her devotion in turning a new leaf, or her desperation to not be alone. Sunset preferred to think it was the first.

Sunset resisted the urge to groan when she saw the display of a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat. She had left Trixie to make her sales to the manager to look through the shop, if only to kill time. "Now that I'm here I think being home alone would have been better than." She said to herself, keeping her voice low so no one heard her words, she really did not need the only person who knew she was innocent mad at her.

Looking through the shelves she saw a box of small orbs smoke bombs she like the ones she'd seen Trixie carry around for her entrances and exits. Slightly intrigued she picked one up looking it over, seemed like an ordinary plastic-like ball, she was a little curious how they left no mess behind when used but otherwise it didn't seem like anything impressive. She was about to put it back when Trixie popped up next to her.

"Ah you found them. I needed some fresh ones," She said looking through the box for her trademark blue smoke bombs. "I keep running out for some reason."

Instead of stating the obvious Sunset went for a different topic. "So you working on any new tricks?"

The magician's eyes brightened at the words. "Yes in fact, I'm working on a variation of that stage changing trick magicians can do. I call it the Clothes Switch in Smoke." She spread her arms out wide as she said it.

"A bit of a mouthful isn't it?"

"It's a working title," Trixie said in a tone like she said that a lot. "Only I still need to work out the kinks. Want to see what I can do so far?"

Doing an incomplete magic trick with a magician who had a tendency for things to blow up in her face did not sound like the best idea to Sunset but she did not want to be rude, and who knew, Trixie might get it right. "Um sure."

"Okay, let me see how many do I have left." Trixie reached into her bag and pulled out a blue smoke bomb. "Good thing I'm getting new ones I think I only have two left besides this one."

She cleared her throat and took a step back. "Be repaired to be amazed by the Clothes Switch in Smoke!" She declared in her stage voice. Sunset rolled her eyes at the name.

Trixie threw the bomb to the ground and it exploded in a burst of smoke engulfing the two teens. Sunset coughed trying to wave the smoke with her hands, eyes closed shut. She felt a slight breeze on her back as the smoke started to clear, once it started to fade she became aware that something felt different. Looking down she was shocked to see her jacket was gone, replaced with the light blue one Trixie wore, though it was only half zipped up, she also saw her cutie mark printed shirt had been replaced with a blue shirt covered in white stars she knew was not her own.

When she looked back up Trixie was standing five feet away, panting slightly and hair not as neat as it had been a few seconds ago, she was also wearing Sunset's jacket and shirt. "Still... need to... work on speed." She panted.

"What? But how did you? I didn't even feel anything." The confused teen said trying to work her brain. "How did you do that?"

The magician gave Sunset a smug smirk. "A magician never reveals her tricks. Though it was not perfect yet, it was supposed to be a total wardrobe switch before the smoke cleared. Maybe you can help me get it right over the break."

She was a little interested in seeing if she could figure the trick out. "Well that was pretty impressive, I'll admit and I do wonder what else you can do." Sunset thought it over, "I might have some time next week if that works for you."

"That's perfect, hold on I'll write down a place where we could-"

"You! What did I tell you about setting off smoke bombs in my store!" An angry voice cut her off. The manager from earlier was storming down the store towards them. "What do have to say for yourself this time?"

"Well, Trixie forgot." The magician said in a small voice.

"Forgot? This is the sixth time you set off one of my bombs in the store, I warned you not to do that again. I let it slip since your a good customer but I can't have this anymore." He said glaring at the teen.

"Wait, Trixie's sorry, she really did forget." Trixie said trying to explain.

"You said that last time and the time before. I'm sorry kid but I have no choice but to ban you, at least for a month."

"B-but but..." Trixie stammered, Sunset saw tears were actually starting to form in the magician's eyes.

"Wait it wasn't her fault," Sunset said, stepping in between her new friend and the angry manager. "I set off the smoke bomb."

"Huh?" Both the manager and Trixie said confused.

"I was thinking about buying some and I accidentally set it off, Trixie didn't touch them."

The manager narrowed his eyes, switching his gaze between the two teens. "Is this true?"

"I guess," Trixie said.

"Then I guess I can let you off with a warning since this is your first time, though you'll need to pay for the bomb." He said to Sunset. "And Trixie, I guess you're not banned, but remember what I said about setting off bombs." He turned to leave when a thought crossed him. "Is there any reason why you two switched jackets?" He pointed to the blue jacket Sunset was still wearing.

"We wanted to see how we looked in each other's jacket," Sunset responded. The manager shrugged, heading back to his office.

Sunset paid for the smoke bomb that had been set off while Trixie finished resupplying, once they were out of the store Trixie turned to her friend. "Why did you take the blame for Trixie?"

"Because you would have been banned for that smoke bomb. Didn't want that to happen so I stepped in."

Trixie gave her a look. "You know you should really stop taking the blame for everything. It's not healthy."

"So you wanted to get banned then?"

"Well no but you shouldn't always take the fall."

"Yeah I've already heard the speech, I'd rather not have it again." She said tensely.

"Okay okay Trixie was just saying," Trixie said holding her hands up in surrender. "How about Trixie buys lunch to make up for the smoke bomb."

"You don't have to."

"Oh yes Trixie does." She said loudly. "The Great and Powerful Trixie always pays her debts."

"Fine, but can I have my clothes back first?"

***

Lunch for Sunset was surprisingly enjoyable as Trixie told some entertaining stories about some of her magic tricks, a lot of them ending in something blowing up in either the magician's or audiences faces. Though Sunset felt that the stories did not encourage her to go to the magic shows the stories were enjoyable and Trixie's energy was infectious. It was the first time she felt happy without any guilt of lying since the beginning of Anon-A-Miss. Once they finished lunch they decided to do what Sunset wanted and headed to the music store.

When they arrived Trixie moved herself around the taller girl, partially hiding herself from Vinyl Scratch who was manning the counter. "Any reason why your hiding from Vinyl?" Sunset asked, as far as she knew Vinyl didn't make enemies with anyone.

"Trixie would rather not be seen by that stone hearted villain. Her last encounter did not go well for Trixie." She said hunching down more.

"Stone hearted? Since when is Vinyl villain? Shes never mean to anyone."

"Oh contraire my naive friend. Behind that relaxed look beats the heart of a stone cold business woman. Last time I was here she flat out refused to haggle a better price on a guitar no matter how hard I tried to negotiate." She shuddered. "I have never seen one so immune to words as her."

"I don't think music stores are supposed to haggle prices."

"Well they should! The price on that guitar was outrageous. And she refused to even consider negotiating, she just stood there, silent like a rock when I tried to be reasonable."

"She might have just not heard you, I can hear that music she playing from here."

"Whatever, just never try to negotiate with her, it will get you nowhere," Trixie said pulling Sunset down an aisle away from Vinyl who just waved.

***

The two teens browsed together for a time before splitting up as Trixie saw some CD's she thought about buying for a friend, leaving Sunset to browse on her own. Sunset had to admit, spending time with Trixie was not that bad, even if her tendency to talk about herself in the third person could get granting at times she was not unpleasant to be around and she knew Sunset was innocent so she had that going for her. "Maybe I should get her something for Christmas, maybe some extra smoke bombs or a new hat." Sunset mused as she looked over a new rock CD.

Her thoughts were broken by the feeling she was being watched. Looking around she saw at the entrance to the store was a blue skinned athletic teen with yellow hair glaring at her, Lightning Dust. Gulping Sunset turned around to move deeper into the store and saw an even larger teen with white hair dyed purple at the ends glaring in her direction, Gilda.

"How did I not see her come in." Sunset wondered as Gilda started to approach, looking behind her she saw Lightning Dust enter the store. They were two aisles away and Sunset was prepared to escape under Lightning Dust when Trixie appeared at the end of Sunset's aisle.

"Sunset I just got a call from mother. She needs me back at home." She said walking down the aisle oblivious too the two angry muscular women coming Sunset's way.

Sunset was about to wave her off but then she saw Lightning Dust scrowl and turn to the right, and when she glanced behind her Gilda was also gone. "I'll just have to come back for the CD's." Trixie continued as she came up to Sunset. "Sorry I have to go."

Taking the chance to get out without a fight Sunset grabbed her friend's hand leading her out of the store. "It's fine, I need to get home too."

She cast a glance back at the store and Lightning Dust had reappeared at the entrance. The athlete drew a line across her throat and pointed at Sunset. The teen rubbed her own throat and picked up the pace, wanting to put as much distance between her and the larger girl as possible.

***

Home for Sunset was a lonely if comfortable place, it being the top floor loft space of a small apartment building in the more modest parts of the city. As far as homes went for undocumented teens it was rather nice, a two-bedroom apartment with cheap but not uncomfortable furniture and a working bathroom with hot water. Many would be envious of the freedom it gave Sunset, and she hated the place.

It was miles away from any of her friends, it was on low ground so any bad weather made it impossible to ride her motorcycle, and worse everything seemed to remind her of the person she used to be, even after remodeling it. Sunset always took her time getting home, unless it was to get something for a sleepover, and would spend as little time there as possible. She would move if it were not the only place she could stay.

When she got back to her loft she was ready to collapse into bed, knowing she would have to get up early for farmwork in the morning. She got to her and was distracted from her destination by her journal glowing with a message from Princess Twilight. Sunset practically lunged across the room to get to it.

Dear Sunset Shimmer

I am disappointed to hear that our friends still refuse to believe you were innocent and wish I had the time to come and talk to them myself. You are right, I do not approve of you claiming to be Anon-A-Miss to get them back, even if it was for a good cause lying like that is not right, and hope you will eventually come clean to them. Perhaps Applejack or Fluttershy would be willing to listen.

Also I find it strange that Anon-A-Miss just decided to delete her account after everything she had done to the school. Not to mention it happening around the same time you admitted to being Anon-A-Miss. Did it happen before or after your confession, perhaps the true culprit was nearby when you made your false confession. And even with it gone I'd advise caution if they are still loose they might make a different attempt to tear apart the school.

Keep me up to date on what happens and tell me if you need any help, I'll be over faster than a dragon at a gem convention.

Your Friend, Twilight Sparkle

Sunset reread the message before penning a simple response and assurance she did not need help before closing the journal. I don't like saying it but I told you so, just tell them already, even the Princess says so. The voice said in her head.

"Oh so your back huh?" Sunset said turning off the lights. "Look it's fine, give it a few weeks and everything will be back to normal."

Not if Lightning Dust has anything to say about it.

"I can handle whatever she has to throw at me. Now just let me sleep, Applejack won't like it if I'm late." Sunset grumbled laying back in her bed putting the threat of Lightning Dust out of her mind. "Everything will go back to normal, just watch." She muttered drifting off to sleep.

Author's Note:

Things have been hectic around here recently, a temporary move to another state due to the coronavirus, exams in college, and general conflict with family have left me very tired. I'll try to keep posting ever 4 to 7 days though there might be times when the distance is longer or shorter, since my college semester is over and the move is almost done I should have more time.

I decided to give Sunset a little break from the torment her peers are giving her and the lies she has to tell her friends, she's going to have to go through a lot before it ends. I decided to flesh out Trixie a bit and die down her arrogance in this story since in the movies the most she showed was when under the influence of the Sirens, her normal personality is more similar to how her pony counterpart was in the later seasons.

I was also making an attempt at humor with Trixie being nervous around Vinyl, thinking back on that short from before Rainbow Rocks. I really enjoy how silent she is and can imagine the very talkative Trixie thinking someone that silent as evil. Still working on developing humor so it might come out a little rough.

Next part working with Applejack and more torment, *Evil Laugh*

(Also see any grammar, spelling, or any other type of error just tell me in the comments so I can fix it, feedback always welcome)