• Published 29th Nov 2020
  • 246 Views, 20 Comments

An Equestrian thanksgiving - Switch Swap



Switch invites Nosey over for Thanksgiving

  • ...
10
 20
 246

An Equestrian Thanksgiving

It was nearly thanksgiving time in the Kingdom of Equestria. Everypony was busy preparing their feasts, and inviting family and friends from their hometown, and other cities and towns to celebrate with them.

Everypony was happy. They all loved the holiday of Thanksgiving. Some of the neighboring kingdoms celebrated the holiday too.

The Changelings enjoyed sitting together in the throne room of the hive talking with each other. They did eat a little, but they didn't really need to. Their former main needed food was love, but since the big metamorphosis took place, they no longer needed love to eat.

The Yaks had their own name for the holiday, though I don't quite remember the name. They celebrated it the way that Yaks usually, no, always celebrate all of their holidays. With lots and lots of smashing. But unlike most holidays they celebrated, smashing was not the main event, or even the minor events, it was just a competition to see who could smash the most. Their main event was when all of them gathered around in the center of Yakyakistan and listened to some yovidaphone music after their main meal.

The dragons didn't celebrate like the other creatures celebrated. They celebrated like, well, dragons. Lots of competitions all day. Fire breathing contests, lava surfing, rock throwing, and many others. They had their own humongous feast. Lots of meat and gems was on their menu, and they ate it all very greedily.

The griffons pretty much didn't celebrate the holiday. Only a few of them, like Gallus, Gilda, and Gabby, tried to appreciate the holiday, though it was very difficult.

The Hippogriffs all gathered on the beach that connected Mt. Aris and Seaquestria, like they always did for their holidays, and ate all kinds of different treats from both kingdoms. One family of Hippogriffs, Silverstream, Terramar, and their parents, simply enjoyed spending the day together.

Back in Equestria, in a large city just a few dozen miles south from where Ponyville stood called Maretopia, lived a family of ponies. The mother was a unicorn named Glimmering Hope, the father was a bat-pony named Dawnlight mist. Glimmering and Dawnlight only had one foal, a 14 year old bat-winged alicorn named Switch Swap. He had been planning to invite his marefriend, Nosey Flame the zebra, over for Thanksgiving at his family's house.

Switch was currently standing in front of Nosey's house. He was feeling a little nervous, though.

"It's okay, Switch." Switch said to himself. He had a habit of talking to himself whenever he was nervous. "You're simply inviting your marefriend over for Thanksgiving."

Switch took a deep breath. "Okay, I can do this." He knocked on the door semi-loudly, then waited by the door.


A few minutes earlier, inside the house
Nosey and her younger brother, Hosey Flame, were relaxing in the living room of their house. Nosey was reading the story of the first Thanksgiving, which had been started as a way to celebrate the peace between the tribes.

"Hey, Nosey." Said Hosey

"What is it, Hosey?"

"Why couldn't our parents have joined us for Thanksgiving?"

"Hosey, you know that they wanted to have some alone time. Besides, I'm sure that something will come up."

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door.

"You stay here, Hosey. I'll go and see who it is." Said Nosey

Nosey walked towards the door, thinking, I wonder who that could be.

She opened the door and saw Switch standing there

"Oh, hey Switch. What brings you here?"

"Hey, Nosey. Listen, I was wondering if you wanted to join my family for Thanksgiving. Do you want to?"

"Of course I do, Switch. I just have one question."

"What's your question?"

"Could I bring my little brother, Hosey, with?"

"Of course. You know what they say. The more the merrier."

"Exactly. Just let me get Hosey and myself ready first, then I'll be ready to go."

"Okay, I'll be waiting here for you."

Nosey closed the door and walked back to the living room, where Hosey was sitting patiently, waiting for her.

"Who was it?" He asked

"It was Switch. He invited the two of us over to his house for Thanksgiving. Now come on, we've got to get our coats on."

"Okay." Replied Hosey, getting off of the couch and walking over to his older sister

Nosey grabbed their coats from the closet. She put hers on, then helped Hosey with his coat. She also had earmuffs for herself and a winter hat for Hosey. Once they got all of their winter clothing on, they walked back towards the door.

"Okay. We're ready, Switch."

"Wonderful. I'm so looking forward to you and your brother celebrating with us."

"I am too."

"Oh, I almost forgot. Are your parents home?"

"No, unfortunately. They wanted to have their own vacation and left me in charge of Hosey. They won't be back until the end of this week."

"Oh, okay. I was hoping to invite them too. But I don't mind having just you and your brother. We'd better start heading back to my house, or we won't be able to enjoy the food while it's warm."

"Lead the way, Switch. But let me lock my house first." Nosey went and locked the door to her house, "Ready."

"Okay. Follow me." Replied Switch, walking away from the house with Nosey and Hosey following him.

The trio speedily walked back to Switch's house. Not speedily enough to be considered running, but still very speedily.

A half hour later, they got to Switch's house, "This is it." He said, pointing his hoof at a large blue hut-like house

"This is your house? I like it."

"Thanks. Now we had better get inside before the food gets cold."

"Sounds good."

Nosey and Hosey followed Switch into his house, and both of them smelled the delicious food from the dining room

"Mom, dad. I'm home." Said Switch, "And I brought guests with me."

Glimmering looked from the dining room table and saw Nosey and Hosey. "Welcome you two. You're just in time, the food just finished cooking." She said, "Come, sit."

"Thanks. It really smells good." Replied Nosey, walking towards the table with Hosey.

When everypony was sitting at the table, they all began eating and talking

"So, Nosey." Said Dawnlight, "How are your parents?"

"They are good. I wish that they could've been here, but they wanted to have a vacation for just the two of them."

"Well, maybe we could invite you're whole family over to our house sometime when they get back from their vacation."

"That would be nice." Said Nosey.

"So, what do you like from the food options, Nosey?" Asked Switch

"I really like the salad. My family makes the best salad that I've tasted, but yours comes close."

"Thanks, it's a family recipe that has been going since my grandma's grandma's grandma."

"Cool. Whew, I'm stuffed now." Said Nosey. She noticed that it was getting dark outside, and gasped.

"Oh, I've got to get Hosey home and to bed. It's past his bedtime." Exclaimed Nosey, "Thank you for inviting me, Switch. I'll be sure to come over again sometime."

"I'd like that." Replied Switch, "Goodnight, Nosey. Goodnight, Hosey."

"Goodnight, Switch." Said the two of them as they were getting their winter clothes on.

"Goodnight, Nosey and Hosey." Said Glimmering and Dawnlight, "Have a safe walk home."

"I will. Switch, one more thing." Said Nosey

"What is it?" Asked Switch

"Come closer."

Switch got close, thinking that Nosey was going to whisper something in his ear. Only to receive a kiss on the cheek.

"Goodnight, my special somepony." Said Nosey, to a blushing Switch.

She and Hosey walked out the door, leaving the family alone.

Glimmering and Dawnlight walked up next to Switch, Glimmering on Switch's left and Dawnlight on his right.

"She really is something, isn't she." Said Dawnlight

"Yes, she is." Replied Switch, with a huge smile on his face. This Thanksgiving was perfect for him, and he got to spend it with his special somezebra.

Both Switch and Nosey had amazing dreams that night. What happened in the dreams, is a secret.

Author's Note:

Happy Thanksgiving everpony
And everyone

Comments ( 18 )

That was absolutely adorable!!

10556240
Thx
What did you like most about it?

Both Switch and Nosey had amazing dreams that night. What happened in the dreams, is a secret.

Really:rainbowlaugh:

10556244
Yup
But I’ll reveal the dreams in PM
We are Switch Swap and Nosey Flame after all

10556244
Maybe you should change your username to Nosey Flame

Yeah but anytime I try to change it, it can't be accepted.

10556256
Oh nevermind. It worked. :twilightsheepish:

Wow, this is a really cool concept! You two used yourselves as characters, but it's written in third-person!

Oh yeah, and it was adorable. :heart:

10556889
Uh, actually this wasn't a collab

10556892
True. I guess I should have phrased it as "You used yourself and Nosey as characters."

10556898
Good. My mistake.

Cute! :twilightsmile:

You’ve got a few periods missing at the end of dialogue and occasional paragraph endings as well. If I were to be critical, for me, I look for a bit more meat in a story... I just made a really bad pun considering this is a Thanksgiving story about herbivores... :twilightblush:

Anyway, what I mean to say is that I like a little tease. You did give a little one at the end, which was nice! I think you’d do well to flesh out and give more details in your work.

Write on, my friend! :pinkiehappy:

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Jatheus that this story needs more meat. The beginning is taken up by exposition, and the middle is a whole bunch of back and forth that can pretty much be summed up with, "Nosey and her brother were invited out to dinner with Switch." This section needs to either be spiced up significantly with more dialogue that feels truly unique to the characters and situation—as opposed to sounding much the same as anyone being invited to dinner, just like we rarely show people brushing their teeth in stories, since it is too routine—or it needs to be taken out and have the story begin with Nosey arriving at Switch's home, that way you can focus on the dinner itself and the interactions between the characters as they eat.

In my opinion, as it is, the story doesn't really begin until somewhere around this line:

"Mom, dad. I'm home." Said Switch, "And I brought guests with me."

The story could also use a bit more conflict, something to get in the way. Nevertheless, it isn't a bad story. There is the beginning of something truly heartwarming at the end there, and I like what you were going for. I think that as you improve and get better at cutting out any unnecessary dry sections, you'll be able to come up with some truly smile-worthy works. :)

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I'm not actually expecting you to make any of these changes. I'm just providing this as feedback so that you know to keep an eye out for these kinds of things on future projects.

Cute story, man. Have a good Christmas. 🙂

Aww that is a sweet story not only that it's always nice to have friends and family for the holidays this was a very nice short story

Login or register to comment