• Published 30th Nov 2020
  • 1,235 Views, 42 Comments

Could Never Be - Melody Song



Thorax and Pharynx know their love is forbidden. Not that it would stop them anyway.

  • ...
25
 42
 1,235

But Maybe We Can Try

Long ago, in the Changeling Hive, it used to be common for Queen Chrysalis to select changelings to mate. It was even more common for her to choose these mates out of clutches, meaning incest would typically be commited. Biological studies have shown that due to a changeling’s unique biology, even this usually did not affect any nymphs produced by these mates.

Of course, since the Great Change, as most changelings call it, this practice has no longer been needed. King Thorax has proclaimed that every changeling should be allowed to love freely, and that they should not have to be forced to mate simply for eggs. Because of this, all changelings have given up this practice and incest has become extinct in the Hive.

~ Princess Twilight Sparkle

“Ugh, stupid bucking alicorn, what does she know?” the book was slammed shut by a dark cyan hoof.

Pharynx stood up from the table and replaced the book on the shelf. He sighed as he left the room.

“Why does Ocellus even have that book?” Pharynx muttered as he walked down the hall.

As Pharynx looked around, observing his surroundings. Some changelings nearby were talking happily about the approaching of the one-year anniversary since the Great Change.

“I was thinking we should do something to thank King Thorax for changing our Hive for the better.” one of them commented

“Oh yes! Thorax is the best leader the Hive has ever had!” another remarked.

“We’ve only had two leaders, him and Chrysalis.” another deadpanned.

“Still!” the changeling insisted. “He’s the best leader in Equestria!”

Pharynx rolled his eyes, turning away. However, when he did, he realized the three changelings had put a thought in his head. One he couldn’t exactly brush aside.

Pharynx began stalking through the hallway of the Hive that would lead to his room, now blushing slightly. It was evening, and he could see the sun beginning to set outside. He averted his eyes, looking straight ahead. To any changeling that passed the general in the hall, he would seem to be focused. But in reality, his mind was clouded with thoughts of only one thing.

He screwed his eyes shut but could only see his face as he did. He groaned and made it to his room, pushing open the door. Just in time to realize too late that he shared this room with someling. Specifically, the annoying, sensitive, adorkable someling he’d just been thinking of.

“Hey Phar.” Thorax smiled at him brightly.

“Hey Thor…” Pharynx sighed, heading to his bed. He heard Thorax get up and flinched.

“Something wrong?”

Pharynx bit his lip, feeling his heart pounding against his chest and his head becoming light.

“I-I’m fine, just a bit dizzy…”

“Well, okay.” Thorax nuzzled him and smiled slightly, looking at him. “If you’re sure.”

“Crap, he has those stupid eyes that smile… wait, why is it so hard to look away?” Pharynx looked into Thorax’s eyes, his cheeks heating up. He then realized what he was doing and shook his head, backing up.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m sure! I-I have to go.” Pharynx said, trotting off. He sighed and headed out to the training field.

It was dark by the time he made it out onto the dusty training field. Sitting down in the sandy hollow, he looked up at the star speckled sky. He smiled softly as he looked up into the night.

“I can almost forget it all from out here. If only the same could be said of him.” Pharynx thought, digging his hoof into the dirt. He shut his eyes tight, feeling a hot liquid seeping from the corners of his eyes.

Pharynx laid down on his stomach, staring up at the night sky. Despite sitting still, his breath came in quick, short breaths as he thought about his brother. He closed his eyes and hung his head.

“Buck...if only just for a moment… we could take a chance… and forget for a breath…” Pharynx let the tears fall now. “That we could never be.”

He then buried his head in his forelegs, trying to rest a bit. He’d probably sleep better out here than in his room.


Thorax paced around in his and Pharynx’s room.

“It’s been over thirty minutes, why hasn’t he come back yet?” Thorax murmured “There’s not much to keep him, it’s too late…”

Thorax bit his lip and went to look out the window at the silver moon. He sighed and looked down.

“Ever since Pharynx transformed, I’ve been… different… I hope I’m not sick.” Thorax mumbled, staring out the window again with a small smile.

“I’ve never felt like this before, it’s like my world is lighter than air.”

Thorax left the room, walking down the hallway with a smile. “I may not know what’s in store for the Hive, but I just hope I can stay beside him.” he hummed under his breath, blushing.

“What am I thinking? Oh, I can’t help it! Pharynx is so sweet, in a tough way… he always calms me down when I’m stressed, and he knows exactly what to say to me. And when we’re alone… I forget everything.”

Thorax left the Hive, walking out into the grassy field beyond it. He looked up into the night sky, sighing. He sighed softly.

“If only for just a minute we could take a chance to see what would happen… forget that it could probably never be.”

As Thorax wandered, he sat down in the grass, then looked up at the stars. From the sandy hollow, Pharynx also looked up at the twinkling lights.

“Sweet Chrysalis what is this feeling?” Pharynx muttered, pressing a hoof to his temple. “It’s like something’s taken me over. Why is my heart racing, my head is reeling… why do I feel like I need to ‘get to know’ him? And he has those stupid eyes that smile, I’m feeling so dizzy… and when we talk for a while, my heart burns brightly.”

Thorax laid down in the grass as crickets chirped around him. “I’ve never felt like this before, the entire world feels lighter. I don’t know what’s in store, I just hope I can be beside him. When I am lost, he always brings me home and knows just what to say. When we’re alone, all my troubles fade away.”

Thorax stood up and trotted through the field again, sighing.

“We’ve been drawn apart for so long… because of me… why did I have to leave without saying goodbye?” he muttered.

Meanwhile, Pharynx had rolled onto his back, staring up at the stars with watering eyes.

“And all we’ve had since you returned is memories of how badly I treated you when we were nymphs.” he muttered

“But don't you remember it was the only times we felt like we belonged?” Thorax’s voice came from out of nowhere, and Pharynx sat up quickly.

“Thorax?”

Thorax trotted into the sandy hollow, and smiled softly. “There you are Phar. I’ve been looking for you.”

Pharynx sighed and laid back down. Thorax laid beside him, watching him with sad, concerned eyes.

“You okay?”

“‘M fine.” Pharynx mumbled, burying his head in his forelegs. He stiffened as Thorax put a hoof on his shoulder

“Are you sure?”

“I just…” Pharynx blushed slightly and looked away. “I’ve kind of been…”

“You like me don’t you?”

Pharynx whipped around to look at him, blushing furiously. Thorax also blushed, looking down.

“How do you-”

“We’re changelings, Phar.”

“I-I know, just…” Pharynx looked away. “Buck...I didn’t think you were paying attention.”

“As if I could ignore my big brother.” Thorax put a hoof on his shoulder. “I-In all honesty, I think I like you that way too. I just… didn’t know what it was.”

“Really? Or are you just trying to make me feel better?”

“Of course I mean it, why would I say it just to make you feel better?”

“With you it could go either way.” Pharynx said, chuckling softly.

“I guess that’s fair… “ Thorax sighed, then leaned over and nuzzled him gently. “But really, I do care about you like that.”

“Well, too bad. It’s incest.” Pharynx spat.

“It doesn’t matter!” Thorax pulled Pharynx up and hugged him. “I still love you, Pharynx.”

Thorax closed his eyes and leaned down to nuzzle Pharynx, whispering to him.

“You know, out of all of the changelings who went along with incest, most were from the same clutch, and even more of them were twins, like us.” Thorax murmured

“I-I know…”

“And I think deep down, it was part of the reason I stood up for you when you were so unwilling to change. I didn’t want you to go, and I knew if you were forced to then it would break my heart.”

Pharynx blushed even harder and pulled away from him. “A-As sweet as that is, Thorax, and it is, you know that it doesn’t matter. They would all just disagree anyway.”

“But… Pharynx, please, I’m begging you…”

Pharynx looked up at him, then leaned in. He looked up into Thorax’s eyes. “W-Well… I guess for a minute we could just… pretend…”

“Pretend what?” Thorax asked, sounding hurt.

“That we could forget everything and get lost in each other.” Pharynx murmured, looking away.

Thorax pulled him close. “Wouldn't be hard. In all honesty Pharynx… you’ve always left me feeling... breathless.”

“Yeah... well, same here. I-I’ve always found the right thing to say with other creatures but around you I can’t even figure out what to say to you.”

“What are you talking about? You always know what to say to calm me down.” Thorax nuzzled him affectionately, and Pharynx blushed.

“Sometimes. But talking to you makes me forget everything else.” Pharynx mumbled, blushing hard. Thorax smiled, then frowned and looked away.

“You know we’d never be able to forget everything else…” Thorax murmured

“And I could never get lost of you.” Pharynx murmured, backing away. Thorax and Pharynx both stood up, looking away.

“Now that we’ve found our senses... it’s time to make a choice.” Pharynx muttered. “Us or the Hive’s new traditions.”

“I guess not just for a moment could we ever possibly—”

“Forget for a breath we could ever be a thing.” Pharynx cut him off, and Thorax locked eyes with him.

“But... can’t we try?”

“Thorax, I know nothing’s stopping us out here, but when we get back into the Hive, and the other changelings sense our love… you know they’re going to insist that their King and Prince not commit incest.”

“Please Pharynx… I want to try…”

“I don’t know… Thorax, I really like you, but I just-mmph!”

Thorax had grabbed him and pulled him in, kissing him. Pharynx squirmed, then stopped struggling. He closed his eyes and leaned into the kiss, wrapping his forelegs around Thorax’s neck. They pulled away, and Pharynx’s gaze softened.

“I love you Pharynx.” Thorax nuzzled him gently.

“I… love you too Thorax.” Pharynx leaned against the taller changeling.

Thorax squealed softly and hugged him. Pharynx chuckled, then pushed him. Thorax yelped as Pharynx knocked him to the ground, lying on top of him. He chuckled.

“Heh, gotcha.”

“Heheh, yeah, now get off, please?” Thorax asked.

Pharynx just smirked, a playful gleam in his eyes. Thorax huffed, then noticed how the light was reflecting in Pharynx’s eyes. He leaned up, kissing Pharynx gently on the lips. Pharynx blushed furiously and leaned down, burying his head into Thorax’s neck.

“Aww, is someone shy?” Thorax teased. “I didn’t expect that you know, you’re usually the brave one, you big toughbug.”

Pharynx raised his head, glaring at him. Thorax giggled sheepishly. Pharynx groaned and got up, holding out his hoof.

“You’re lucky I love you.”

Thorax giggled again, then took Pharynx’s offered hoof and stood up as well. “W-We should probably go back to the Hive.”

“Right… come on.” Pharynx turned to go, and Thorax followed. He leaned in and kissed Pharynx on the cheek. Pharynx blushed hard. “S-Stop it!”

“Why? It’s late, no one will be awake to see us.”

“Fine… but promise me they won’t know?” Pharynx asked, looking over at Thorax. “I could fight off anyone who didn’t approve, but I know you don’t like me harming your subjects.”

Thorax sighed and nuzzled him. “Okay Phary, I promise.”

“Good. Now let’s-” Pharynx froze and turned back to him. “Phary?”

“Worth a try. Did you like it?” Thorax asked, blushing.

Pharynx blushed hard and looked away. “M-Maybe…”

“Heh, I can do better.” Thorax said, nuzzling him.

Pharynx blushed harder and led Thorax back to the Hive. Thorax smiled and stopped, looking around at the sandy hollow surrounded by dew drop covered grass.

“Hey Phar, maybe this could be where we spend time together privately.” Thorax remarked.

“Don’t most creatures do that in a bedroom?”

“Th-That’s not what I meant!” Thorax exclaimed, blushing. “I meant, like, to go on dates.”

“Eh, why not? I train here all the time anyway, and Hivemother knows noling else ever comes here.” Pharynx said, shrugging.

Thorax smiled and continued walking. “So I can come here to watch you practice?”

“I-If you want.” Pharynx stammered, blushing.

Thorax beamed and hugged him as they entered the Hive. Pharynx rolled his eyes and led Thorax to their room.

“You’re lucky we already share a room, adorkable bug.” Pharynx muttered

“Aww, ‘adorkable’?”

“Sh-Shut up…” Pharynx said, turning red.

“Heheh…” Thorax nuzzled him. “You know you love me.”

“Do I know that? Yep. Am I going to admit it? Nope.” Pharynx retorted, smirking as he entered the room, having reclaimed some of his dignity. Thorax chuckled and followed him.


Pharynx wiped sweat from his brow, panting slightly as he threw himself at the tackling dummy. He began punching it after tussling with it for a few minutes.

“Hey Phar!” a cheerful, familiar voice called out.

Pharynx looked up, surprised. “Thorax? What are you doing here?”

“I’m just checking on you, you’ve been out here for three hours, I was worried.” Thorax said, sitting down in the grass surrounding the hollow.

“Well, could you be quiet so I can concentrate?” Pharynx asked

“Fine. But there’s no one here, so if you want to take a lunch break, I brought food.” Thorax told him, setting down a picnic basket. Pharynx rolled his eyes and went back to tackling the dummy.

“I don’t need lunch.”

“But you haven’t eaten all day!”

“Just give me a minute Thorax. Why do you always have to be so affectionate? It’s almost like you want the other changelings to find out!”

“There’s no one here besides us Phar.” Thorax reassured him. “And I could use a little break too, being a King is hard work.”

“Yeah, that’s why I’m glad I didn’t become the King.” Pharynx chuckled, sinking into a pounce and bowling over the dummy.

“I have over a hundred letters from the different rulers. Honestly the only one who hasn’t sent me any letters is the Griffonstone ambassador.” Thorax continued, lying down in the grass.

“Eh, makes sense.” Pharynx punched the dummy in the gut, smirking and feeling some stress leaving him. “When your crystal friends threw that big leader meeting the Griffonstone ambassador hardly seemed up to the job.”

“Yeah…” Thorax sighed and rested his head on his forelegs. “I have at least a hundred and fifty letters from everyone else though, and I can’t even remember if I’ve replied to any of them.”

At that, Pharynx stopped. He turned and trotted over to Thorax, lying down beside him. Thorax looked up at him, blushing slightly. Pharynx sighed and leaned against him.

“Sorry I’m all sweaty.”

“It’s fine Phar.” Thorax assured him, blushing. “But why did you stop?”

Pharynx was silent for a moment, then sighed and looked up at him. “Why didn’t you tell me you were struggling that much with your work?”

“I-I didn’t want to bother you.” Thorax admitted

Pharynx punched him in the shoulder, and he yelped.

“Thorax, you dork! I want to be bothered by this!” Pharynx exclaimed, kissing his cheek. “I do care about you, you know. I want you to tell me if you’re stressed.”

“I-I know I should have, I just…” Thorax sighed “I was worried that you… you’d just tell me to get rid of the stress your way. By fighting it out.”

“Thorax…” Pharynx sighed and nestled against him. “It may be my go-to method for stress relief, but I know that it’s not your way. I would’ve just let you talk about what’s bothering you.”

Thorax sighed and closed his eyes, tears welling up. “I should have told you…”

“Yes, you should have.” Pharynx said bluntly. “But nevermind. You have now, so what else do you want me to know?”

“What?”

“Just talk for Chrysalis' sake.” Pharynx told him, antlers igniting to pull some food out of the picnic basket. “I’m here to listen.”

Thorax smiled at him softly, kissing his cheek. Then, he settled in beside Pharynx, closing his eyes. Pharynx began eating, waiting patiently.

“Well, there’s a few events Twilight, Spike, and Princess Celestia have been asking me to consider attending. I haven’t responded to them yet but it’s mostly about the changelings attending a few things. Then Ember, Queen Novo, and Prince Rutherford have been going back and forth with myself and each other about trade deals, I’m barely keeping track of what they’re doing. Griffonstone is silent and I’m still not sure if the ambassador is even convinced we’ve really changed.”

“Ugh, of course he’s not.” Pharynx grumbled, leaning over to peck Thorax on the cheek, making him blush. “Anything else?”

“Well, I got a letter from Cadence and Shining earlier this week, I haven’t even looked at that yet.”

“Okay, I think I know what the problem is.”

“What?”

“You’re putting too much expectation on yourself. You’re trying to balance ruling the Changeling Kingdom and addressing every single letter that comes to you. But I’m sure those letters don’t need your constant attention, and the changelings can take care of themselves. On top of all that…” Pharynx paused, taking a breath.

“Yes?”

“...On top of all that, you haven’t told me anything. When I could have helped. Even if it had just been watching over a Feelings Forum while you took a nap. You’re obviously worn out.”

“W-Well… I haven’t asked you to because you’re always so busy with your patrols and training… I didn’t want to ask you to do something I wasn’t sure you were ready for.” Thorax tried to explain.

“Thorax, I can handle taking your place for a few hours while you caught up on work, it wouldn’t have been a problem.” Pharynx nuzzled him gently. “I think you were more concerned on how it might reflect on your own abilities.”

“Yeah, I guess so…” Thorax let a few tears fall. “I just want to be seen as a good leader.”

“Everyone already thinks you are, Thorax. Especially me.” Pharynx blushed slightly, nuzzling him. “But you’re also just a regular changeling. Who can’t do everything.”

“Y-You’re right.” Thorax smiled softly. “So, what do you suggest?”

“I suggest three things. One. You let me fill in for you while you catch up on everything that needs to be done.” Pharynx instructed. “Two. You catch up on sleep, preferably with me, and let everyling handle things themselves for a few hours.”

“And the third thing?” Thorax asked

Pharynx chuckled and placed a hoof on Thorax’s chest, blushing. “You and I get a little alone time so you can relax.”

Thorax, also blushing, nodded. “Okay Pharynx. Thank you.”

“Of course Thor.” Pharynx kissed him on the cheek, smiling softly. Thorax smiled as well, and wrapped a hoof around him.

“Can we just stay like this for a bit?”

“Wasn’t planning on moving anyway.” Pharynx replied, closing his eyes slightly as he leaned against Thorax. Thorax smiled and settled down in the grass, content for the time being.


Pharynx entered his and Thorax’s room, smirking to himself with pride. He’d managed to slip something from the kitchen’s stores into the saddlebags he was wearing, and was eager to consume it. As he entered the room, he heard his mate’s soft snores. No, Thorax was no longer his brother in his eyes. Just the changeling he loved above all others. This wouldn’t stop anyone else from seeing them as mere siblings, but it was good enough for himself and Thorax.

“Heheh, Thorax, wake up.” Pharynx urged, trotting to the bed.

The room had originally contained two separate beds, but after that fateful night under the stars, the two had ended up shoving their beds together to give themselves more room to cuddle. Or, more specifically, Pharynx had pushed the beds together himself.

Thorax didn’t stir. Pharynx sighed and set the saddlebags down on the bedside table. He then slipped into the bed and gave Thorax a gentle kiss on the cheek. Thorax shifted, giggling in his sleep. Pharynx rolled his eyes and poked Thorax in the shoulder.

“Come on Thorax, you’re the only one I’ll ever be gentle around, don’t make me take away that privilege now just to get you up.” Pharynx muttered, shoving him gently, but Thorax either couldn’t hear him or was ignoring him.

Pharynx shoved Thorax again, this time eliciting a grunt from the monarch. He smirked and then buried his muzzle into Thorax’s neck, nuzzling into the lime green chitin. Thorax giggled, shifting slightly. Pharynx rolled his eyes and lifted Thorax’s hoof up, smirking slightly. He began using Thorax’s hoof to hit the changeling. That got him awake.

“Gah! Pharynx! I thought you were done with this game!” Thorax whined, though it was hard with Pharynx smacking his cheek with his own hoof.

“Whatever gave you that idea?”

“W-Well, making it very clear we’re more than brothers for one!”

“Heh, mates or not, you’re still my little brother by blood, so you’re not escaping this. Stop hitting yourself, stop hitting yourself!”

“P-Pharynx! Cut it out! I’m awake, okay?!” Thorax grabbed his hoof, and Pharynx finally stopped. Though it was partly because he’d fallen over laughing. “Phar!”

“Wh-What?” Pharynx sat up slightly, still laughing. Thorax glared at him.

“It’s not that funny.”

“Yes it is.” Pharynx lunged at him, and Thorax yelped, making him break out into fresh peals of laughter. “See?”

“Oh, come here.” Thorax reached and pulled him close. That made him stop. Pharynx blushed and pulled away. “What? Why did you wake me up if you didn’t want to be cuddled?”

“Maybe for this?” Pharynx grabbed the saddlebags in his magic, levitating out a slim bottle of red liquid.

“P-Pharynx, where did you get that?”

“The storeroom with the kitchen supplies.” Pharynx said, smirking. “Come on Thorax, it’s not like it’s illegal or anything. It’s just a bottle of wine.”

“I-I know, I just… I’ve never had alcohol before… just because you have doesn’t mean I’ll like it.”

“Here, how about you try it, and I’ll drink it if you don’t want it?” Pharynx suggested, pulling out some glasses.

“I… okay Phar.” Thorax sighed, glancing behind him to make sure Pharynx had closed the door.

“Heh, great.” Pharynx said, smiling as he poured some of the wine into each glass.

Thorax took one of the glasses, smiling at Pharynx, who leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. Thorax squeaked and Pharynx laughed, drinking half his glassful at once. Thorax took a small sip of the wine, then leaned in and kissed the tip of Pharynx’s muzzle.

“Hey! Don't tell me you're drunk already.”

“Heh, no, sorry…”

“Stop apologizing for the wrong things, dork.” Pharynx chuckled, smiling.

Thorax blushed and laid down on his stomach, carefully holding the glass of wine in his magic. Pharynx laid beside him, still smiling and chuckling softly. The two continued drinking as they laid together.

After drinking for a while, Thorax was clearly feeling the effects. Pharynx chuckled and put his glass down, wrapping his hooves around the King.

“Something wrong Thor?”

“N-No…” Thorax snuggled into him. “M-Maybe we should stop though.”

“Heh, sure.” Pharynx took the glass, setting it aside. “Hey Thorax?”

“Yeah Phary?”

“Heh, you got some on your mouth.” Pharynx smirked, then kissed him.

Thorax pressed against him, holding him close. Pharynx pushed on his brother’s shoulders, forcing Thorax to roll over and let him kiss him from on top of the larger changeling. As they kissed, Thorax tilted his head, his antlers crashing against the bedside table. Pharynx didn’t stop though, merely pressing himself deeper into the kiss.

As the two brothers continued to kiss, neither of them noticed a scroll falling to the floor, branded with the symbol of the Crystal Empire.


Thorax finally pulled away from the kiss, breathing heavily. Pharynx smiled and nuzzled into Thorax’s neck. Thorax giggled and hugged him.

“Love you Phary…”

“I love you too.” Pharynx whispered, nestling close against him.

Neither heard the door opening behind them. They sat up, Thorax pulling Pharynx against him. That was when they saw the open door. Thorax’s eyes widened. Glowing eyes were peeking out from the side, then blinked away with small gasps.

Pharynx hissed and pushed himself off of Thorax, stalking to the door. “Alright, who opened this door, show yourse-crap.” he cut himself off, eyes widening.

“Phar?” Thorax trotted over to him. “What is i-sweet Celestia…”

Cadence and Shining Armor were standing beside a small cluster of changelings. They all looked shocked.

“Y-Your majesty, we came to get you, we didn’t realize you were…busy.” one of the changelings said, cheeks slightly pink.

Pharynx, still blushing, stalked forwards. “Get out of here, and those of you in my patrols take one hundred laps around the Hive. Go!”

The changelings scurried off, leaving the two alone with Cadence and Shining Armor.

“Thorax…” Cadence stepped forwards. “Are… you and Pharynx… but… you’re brothers, aren’t you?”

Thorax bit his lip and backed away. Shining trotted closer, but Pharynx stepped in front of him.

“Thorax, buddy, we just want to-”

Thorax grabbed Pharynx’s hoof and dragged him off, eyes filling with tears. Pharynx struggled but eventually allowed Thorax to pull him away. They made it out to the sandy hollow before Thorax stopped. He sat down in the grass, letting the tears come. Pharynx sat beside him and leaned on him.

“It’s okay Thorax.” Pharynx murmured, rubbing his temple. “Ugh, I think I’m a bit buzzed…”

“It doesn’t matter now, we’ll have to leave. There’s no way the changelings will want us for leaders.” Thorax murmured

“If they say anything I’ll kill them.” Pharynx swore.

“Pharynx, they’re our subjects, you can’t do that.”

“Clearly we’re probably not going to be their King and Prince for much longer.” Pharynx shot back.

Thorax whimpered and buried his head into Pharynx’s shoulder, crying. Pharynx rolled his eyes, then sighed and wrapped his hooves around him. He began nuzzling him in comfort.

“Shh, it’s okay Thorax…” Pharynx murmured, kissing Thorax on the cheek. He blushed through his tears. “Come on, you’re more than a wimp. Show me you’re strong.”

“I-I can’t! C-Cadence and Shining are like the parents I never had!” Thorax said, voice muffled. “A-And they just saw…”

“Relax Thorax, I’ll take care of them. Don’t worry.” Pharynx promised, nuzzling him.

“Can I worry?” Shining’s voice called from behind them.

Thorax pulled away from Pharynx, blushing. “Sh-Shining? Cadence?”

Cadence trotted over to them, sitting down by Thorax. “We need to talk about what happened.”

“And before you try to leave again,” Shining added, sitting beside Cadence. “We’re not mad or upset about anything.”

Thorax bit his bottom lip and rested against Pharynx, who slipped a foreleg around him. Cadence smiled softly.

“So, are you two dating?”

“Y-Yes… Pharynx is… he’s my mate… and my brother.” Thorax admitted. Cadence simply smiled.

“Then I wish you the best of luck with your new relationship.”

“Wh-What?” Thorax looked up, eyes widening. "Y-You really mean it?"

“Yes, really.” Cadence looked between them. “Part of my magic gives me the ability to sense when someone has true feelings for another. And I can sense that here. So I don’t see a reason to be upset.”

“But… we’re clutchmates. Siblings.” Pharynx reminded her.

“And according to Twilight’s book on changelings, it used to be common for such things to occur among your kind.” Cadence said, smiling.

“Yes, but that was because the Queen decided who would mate with who.”

“But I’m sure some changelings actually did love each other as more than siblings.” Cadence placed a hoof on Thorax’s. “Besides, this wouldn’t be the first time something similar has happened.”

“Wh-What do you mean?” Thorax asked

“A few months ago, a couple came to Cadence and I asked for our blessing in their marriage.” Shining explained. “We were unsure why, until they explained they were cousins. They wanted our blessing to prove to their… rather conservative parents, that the Empire’s tradition was worth passing on.”

“Wait, tradition?” Pharynx blinked in confusion. Cadence laughed softly.

“Yes. It never came up during Thorax’s time at the Empire, which is why he didn’t know. But apparently, before Sombra’s time in the Empire, incest was more commonplace than you’d think. Since returning, many citizens have seen how it’s largely uncommon in modern Equestria, and discarded it. But some, like the lovely couple that visited us a few months ago, have decided it’s a tradition that should be continued.”

“Some Equestrians have even started moving to the Empire because the marriage laws are a bit fuzzy on how closely related to someone you can be.” Shining added

“That’s part of why we were visiting today. After reading Twilight’s book, we were interested in talking more about this similarity between our kingdoms.” Cadence explained.

“I-I had no idea.” Thorax’s eyes widened. “S-So…”

“So, if you and Pharynx really love each other-and I can tell you do-then it doesn’t matter what your subjects think.” Cadence finished.

“Besides, you’re their leaders. You can force them to agree with it.” Shining chuckled, and Pharynx smirked slightly.

“And Thorax.” Cadence smiled at him. “Shining and I are flattered that you think of us as parents. So if you want, we’d be happy to give you our blessing as well.”

“Thank you Cadence!” Thorax hugged her tight. “Thank you…”

Cadence hugged back, smiling. “Of course Thorax.”

Shining punched Pharynx lightly in the shoulder. “And I’d be happy to give you some tips, married stallion to stallion.”

“Sure, whatever.” Pharynx said, punching him back. Shining chuckled, then waited for Pharynx to look away before wincing and rubbing his shoulder.

Thorax smiled and looked at Pharynx, who kissed him on the cheek.

“I’m sorry I overreacted like that Phar…”

“It’s fine Thorax.” Pharynx nuzzled him. “I get it. Now, I think we need to talk to the Hive, right?”

“Right.” Thorax sighed, looking at Cadence and Shining. “Do you mind if…?”

“Don’t worry about us Thorax. Shining and I can come back another time.” Cadence smiled at them, standing up. “Just send us a letter.”

Thorax nodded, standing up as well. Pharynx joined him. The two nuzzled each other gently, then headed off, Shining and Cadence heading in the opposite direction, towards the train station.


Thorax stood in front of his throne, Pharynx at his side. All the other changelings in the Hive were standing before them. Thorax stepped forward, taking a breath to steady himself.

“Everyling, Pharynx and I have something to say.” Thorax said. “I know that incest has not been committed in the Hive since the Old Days due to Queen Chrysalis’ mating policies. But that’s not to say that we shouldn’t be able to continue this tradition. If two creatures love each other, then what does it matter if they’re related?”

“Not to mention incest was committed past just the Queen’s decisions.” Ocellus’ small voice came up from the changelings, trotting to the front of the crowd. “Over half of the incest that occurred was between twin clutchmates, and of their own free will.”

“Thank you Ocellus.” Thorax whispered, and she nodded.

“Of course your majesty.” she murmured, slipping back into the crowd.

“That’s why, I propose…” Thorax took a breath, then continued. “That we allow mating between relatives, within reason.”

Murmuring broke out. Pharynx slammed a hoof onto the ground to quiet them. Thorax continued talking.

“It doesn’t matter what any of you think about this. It’s my decision, and I am the king.” Thorax said, locking eyes with Pharynx and smiling. “Everyone should be allowed to love whoever they want without being judged.”

Pharynx smiled and moved closer to him, leaning against him. Thorax nuzzled Pharynx lovingly, and as the crowd dispersed, sensing the gathering was over, Pharynx leaned up and kissed him on the cheek.

“I knew you were brave. You did that all by yourself.”

“Of course. I’d do anything for you Pharynx.” Thorax said, nuzzling him. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” Pharynx said, smiling slightly and blushing.

The two faced each other, smiling as the sun set behind them, illuminating the open throne room. Thorax leaned down, touching his forehead to Pharynx’s. Pharynx closed his eyes and leaned into him.

“We can finally be together out in the open.” Thorax murmured

“Of course.” Pharynx smiled softly. “It took a while for everything to straighten out, but…”

“But through it all…” Thorax continued

“What I lost in me, I found in you.” Thorax and Pharynx breathed as one, then pulled each other close and kissed.

Author's Note:

Written for the Nov-Dec Incest is Wincest competition, link in the description. As I said, this is set in a different timeline as my previous changeling works. I hope you enjoyed it regardless.

~Melody Song

Comments ( 40 )

I likey!

Fraid not m8, Sorry. I will say it probably is good work though if your others stories are any indication. So don't let any negativity deter you! Especially if its from me because I do not intend it that way.

10558381
It's okay, it's not everyone's cup of tea

10558383
That was the perfect response. :twilightsmile: I look forward to your other works!

Dawwwwwwwwwwww
This was sweet

10558434
Heh, glad you like it

10558447
Heh, glad you like it Blu

I feel bad because I love your writing but...I’m having a hard time reading through it.

I dunno why, I think it’s the romance? It just not my cup of tea

10558470
It's okay, everyone has different reading preferences

Well this was an interesting read.

10558506
Thanks, I hope you liked it

To the author - i loved your story!:heart::heart::heart: haven't seen a fic done on these two since a writer named Vocal range!

here's the link (if you're interested in reading it?:raritywink:) www.fimfiction.net/story/396809/brotherly-rivalry-2-societies-acceptance

10558911
Thanks, glad you liked it

10558922
this quickest response i've gotten from an author on this site. usually when i leave a comment it takes several hours later or week.
depends on the story i read, if the premise interests me or i want read more of it.
i'm a writer too but all of works are unpublished & slightly a bit dated (most of them are m/m but i don't hate on other people's ships.) except for sparity i never understood that ship like at all!!!

p.s: the other reason is my laptop...Omg you don't know the hell i've gone through and spare ya the details cause i'm getting rid of it soon:flutterrage: don't worry i have a temporary replacement although it's an older model made by Dell.

10558987
Well, I like responding to comments quickly, and computer troubles, I get ya :raritywink:

The link doesn't work but I've seen Brotherly Rivalry and it's sequel, it's a pretty good story

10559003
cool & thanks (with my laptop situation)

ah man really...ugh! oh well at least you've heard/know of them.
he hasn't posted up fics in a long while, his main yt channel is gone (the alternate channel still up & active)
i know he's friends with lotus moon but i'm not gonna pry into anything if it's personal.

p.s: the story i wrote love between brothers a dusk shine x spike story (title is misleading on purpose!) this dusk shine in my fic isn't a twilight sparkle lookalike!
if u wanna know more details PM me & i'll reply asap:raritywink:

this message was written yesterday! sorry it took so long:twilightsheepish:

10562303
Heh, that's okay. And yeah, I noticed it hasn't been updated in a while. Your story sounds interesting

10562307
about that postscript...i'm being very serious there are so many details (that i'd love to share with you) surrounding this fic, it's not even funny!

10562356
If you want. Maybe you could pm, but maybe tomorrow? I'm kind of busy atm

10562376
Usually it's the author who pm's me but i've done it a few times:eeyup:
there's no pressure on my end & i completely understand you probably busy with commissions from other people or writing your own stuff.
Please don't misunderstand my wording or take it as being a jab!
that's happen to me before:rainbowlaugh:

10564170
Heh, don't worry, I get it. Feel free to PM me if you like

10564177
Thanks. you'll see the message very soon:raritywink:

10564299
Heh, alright then

Cute also is noling gonna question just how ocellus knew half the cases was not ordered by the queen

10668132
Thanks, and it's not explained because earlier, Pharynx says that the book he was reading from was Ocellus', so it's likely she read it herself

Bro... no.

10677457
And that is supposed to mean...?

10677504
I don't like incest.

Just that.

10677558
Okay, well, I specifically stated in the description that I wrote it for a competition where incest was the main theme. I'm sorry you don't like incest, but I stated in the story's description that it involved incest

10677578
Yeah, it's alright, and, I read the description.

Just wanted to give my input, and I'm realizing how pointless it was.

I shall take my leave.

This was sweet! I loved it! 😊

Login or register to comment