• Published 27th Nov 2020
  • 1,118 Views, 7 Comments

An Old Dogs New Emperor - SerPounce



Count Ignatius meets the new emperor, and the two have a day of fun.

  • ...
0
 7
 1,118

Chapter - 1: The Visit

As day breaks, the Bronzehill dogs finally arrive to the Imperial City itself, Griffenheim, home of their ever beloved emperor himself, Grover. It had been years since Ignatius had returned to this holy city, the metropolis becoming more impressive each time he had. In his youth this was a place of such awe striking grandeur, a place where he would lose himself in the winding streets, ducking between buildings and looking through each nook and cranny.

But now, he was back to visit the new emperor, Grover The Sixth. A young emperor, ruled by vassals who had a high possibility of not holding his best interests at heart.

But none of this was important now, what was most important was not the court disputes, nor the issues of the realm. But the fact he was meeting his Emperor. Oh how he remembered Grover The Fifth, a man of high intellect yet vacillating in choices. A wise griffon, smart enough to think about which choice to take, but not brave enough to actually pick. He respected Grover beyond words, of course, and he knew the position that his dear emperor was in. There were no easy choices to be made in Griffonia, he knew that all too well from his own court.

And so when he looked out the window of his new 'car', a nice change of pace from the old carriages of the past, he saw his own reflection. How much had he aged? How many years lost in service to his empire, to his dogs and to his emperor... The circles under his eyes were dark, his face was gaunter than he remembered, age had taken its toll. And as the car finally dragged to a stop in front of the palace gates, he took a deep breath and exited.

Guards were at the ready to inspect his car of anything foul and to escort him into the keep. The palace was just as beautiful as ever, nothing here seemed to have changed, the flowers were the same, the fountain was as shiny and clean as ever. Nothing in this palace had changed, except for him and the Griffon who owned it.

As he finally entered the throne room, his heart was full of worry, would the emperor like him? Would he want him replaced? What would he think of this old tired dog, behind on the times and out of new tricks to learn.

He steeled his heart as he entered, standing straight and righting his posture, looking ahead and looking down as he entered, eye contact with the emperor was a rude gesture.

His steps echoed through the silent throne room, not a sound other than that of his paws hitting carpeted floor. It felt softer than last time, had they changed it? Finally as he arrived in front of his emperor, he kneeled and closed his eyes.

“Forgive me for my intrusion my emperor, this humble subject asks for only a bit of your time to visit you, your excellency. Do you have any commands for me, my most esteemed emperor?” He waited, as the silence hung upon the room. A second turned to two, turned to three, turned to four, had he angered the emperor? Had he said something wrong? As fear gripped his heart he finally heard his voice:

“Wow you’re tall! Do you stand on two legs? That fur of yours looks so soft can I touch it?!” Grover’s voice was high pitched, squeaky and full of excitement, through all his adoration and exaggeration he had forgotten, his emperor was but a four year old chick.

And as the emperor got up, holding his claws to his face to hold in his excitement, Ignatius remembered his place. “Of course my lord, I am but a humble vessel for your will.” And soon he felt the young emperor patting his fur, scratching it.

“Wowee… It’s so much different than my feathers, and you’re so tall too… Can I, can I get a griffyback ride?” The young Grover asked with hesitation, his eyes full of glee. As a smile crossed Ignatius’ face he gave the emperor what he wished, nodding and picking him up, putting him on his back.

The day was spent with the two of them playing, the young emperor often asking Ignatius what he wanted to do, only to get a “Whatever you wish to do my emperor.” As a response, finally, by the evening, Grover had found a workaround: “I wish for you to tell me what it is that you want to do.”

“I --if it is alright, my emperor-- I wish to visit the blessed fountain of Eyr. It’s been so long since I last saw it.” Ignatius relented, and so the car was started and the guards followed, emptying the fountain of any civilians and non-nobles for the young emperors safety. And finally they sat there, the beautiful garden glowing in the evening dark with the street lanterns surrounding it, some of the flowers glowing all sorts of colors, the fountain swirling and the noise being soothing.

As the two sat on a bench, Ignatius’s stamina finally caught up with him, the day had emptied him of all energy, he wished to sleep but for his emperor he steeled himself, the child seemed still, and satisfied. He had seen him to be clever, learned and an avid reader who told him for a whole hour about his favorite stories and books.

As Ignatius eyelids grew heavy, he heard the voice of his emperor: “Are you tired Ignatius?” The young emperor asked him, righting his glasses as he did. Ignatius was too tired for lies, too tired to make something up and replied that yes, he was indeed very tired after the day’s activities.

“Well did you have fun?” Was the follow up question, with Grover looking worried. The worry struck a chord with Ignatius, as he saw that the chick had been just as worried as to what Ignatius would think of him, as the reverse. It brought a large smile to his face.

“Yes, it’s been one of the funnest days I have had in my whole life my lord.” He replied, before yawning.

“Do you want to take a nap?” Grover asked him, and Ignatius could not help but nod his head yes.

“Then sleep, my dad used to be tired all the time too. When we sat in the gardens, he would fall asleep on the bench and put his head in my lap, it seemed comfortable for him. As we have no pillows around, would that work for you?” The young emperor asked him, and the old dog was awestruck with this, sleeping with his head on the lap of his emperor? An offer so tantalizingly wonderful that there was no way for him to rationally say no.

“If that’s alright with you my lord…” He said, feeling the creep of sleep near, and the young emperor nodded for him to rest his head and sleep. As Ignatius put his head on the young emperor’s lap grover began to stroke his hair, it felt wonderful. And as this motion repeated he began to close his eyes, sleep taking a grip on him.

Before he was fully sleeping, he heard the words from his emperor that would stick with him for the rest of his life. “You’re the best doggie Ignatius, my favorite vassal..”

Comments ( 7 )

awesome story my friend

A lovely short story. Left a smile on my face.

best doggos

Love me some Equestria At War.

Short, but incredibly sweet. I’m thankful for the little gems like this.

Im not crying, you're crying!

I loved this story so much, Pounce! :heart:

Login or register to comment