• Published 27th Nov 2020
  • 1,875 Views, 30 Comments

Am I just a pawn? - Starlight Fan



When a bunch of townsponies mock him, Spike begins to question his self worth, luckily Starlight’s here to help(Set after Fame and Misfortune)

  • ...
6
 30
 1,875

Hurtful Words and a Helping Hoof

Spike just got back from Canterlot after doing some royal business, and now he just got out of the train and now he was finally heading back to Twilight’s castle, as he was walking back to the castle once he stepped in the Ponyville sidewalk he was really confused at what was going on, a bunch of ponies were wearing shirts with the Mane Six’s cutie marks on them, and they were arguing for some reason, he clearly missed a lot, but before he decided to question the new shirts, he decided to break up the argument and see what was going on.

“What’s going on around here?” Spike asked.

The crowd stopped arguing and immediately turned their attention to Spike and they glared at him clearly annoyed with his presence and Spike started feeling nervous why were they so angry with him, did he do something wrong?

“Ugh it’s the useless lizard.” one of the mares said.

“Well we could use a laugh.” one of the stallions said and the crowd began laughing.

Spike was angered by what they said and angrily retorted “Hey I’m not useless or a lizard, I’m very useful and also I’m a dragon.”

The crowd just laughed harder and a stallion with a green coat and a blue mane mocked him even more by saying “Really I couldn’t tell, given the fact you can’t breathe fire.”

One of the mares backed the stallion up by saying “Yeah plus he’s such a pushover by letting Rarity take advantage of him.

The green stallion laughed a bit and then replied by saying “I mean he’s more of a servant than a friend given how Twilight and the others just have him do a bunch of work and always leave him behind.”

“That’s not true.” Spike weakly replied, but he wasn’t exactly sure anymore, looking back at the memories they did leave him behind a lot and they didn’t seem to acknowledge his existence at times, unless they needed something from him, maybe these ponies were right.

“Perhaps it would have been better off if he had never hatched from that egg in the first place.” the green stallion cruelly stated.

At that point Spike was starting to tear up, the mocking and berating was about to continue but then they all heard a loud yell-

“Enough!” the voice and at that point a flash of turquoise light appeared in the middle of the ground revealing an angry Starlight, she heard what that stallion just said, and she isn’t exactly happy when ponies treat her friends like garbage.

“So did I just hear what I think I heard?” Starlight sarcastically asked the crowd.

The stallion rolled his eyes and answered “That the little menace should’ve never been hatched I mean he’s useless and only causes trouble.”

Spike only lowered his head in sorrow which made Starlight glance at him in remorse.

Starlight then said to the crowd “Last I checked he saved the Crystal Empire and allied the ponies and dragons together, and those are just a few examples so he’s not useless. Also do you just gain pleasure out of his pain? because he almost looked like he was going to cry.”

Most of the crowd look ashamed and began to regret how they acted, but the green stallion didn’t feel the slightest hint of remorse, and nonchalantly replied “Pfft so what? He’s just a worthless dragon anyway.”

Starlight face hoofed and groaned “I’m done wasting my time on you, come on Spike.” Starlight and Spike walked out of the Ponyville sidewalk and to the castle.

Starlight and Spike were back inside the castle library she ended up teleporting them there once they we’re near the entrance to the castle itself so they can avoid being seen by the angry mob outside, Spike still had a solemn look on his face.

Starlight felt bad for him and walked up to him and said “Don’t listen to what they said, they’re idiots.”

Spike chuckled a bit and felt a bit better but he still felt empty but he managed to ask “ Hey Starlight, do you think Twilight and the others are my friends or am I just a servant to them?”

Starlight was a bit shocked to hear him question his self worth, but then she remembered he was just bullied, it has that affect on ponies, she’d know from her own experiences and she would not wish that on any of her friends including Spike, but now was not the time to lament about that, she needs to focus on helping Spike feel better about himself.

“Did the other ponies tell you that?” Starlight asked softly, Spike slowly nodded his head.

Starlight then stated “Well I’ll tell you this, no they don’t. Twilight always tells me how much she cares about you, and Rarity might not return your feelings but she does care about you. We all care about you Spike. You’re not a servant you’re our friend.”

Spike embraced Starlight, “Thanks Starlight, I needed that.” Starlight was a bit shocked but she returned the hug with a smile on her face. After the hug broke off, Spike asked “By the way, how come you were even out there?”

Starlight answered by saying “Twilight wanted me to meet you at the train stop while she calms down an angry mob at her castle because she was worried you were going to get bullied or something else bad would happen and well she wanted to me to make sure that did not happen, unfortunately her fears were justified considering what just happened.” Spike was confused and before he could say anything Starlight covered his mouth with her hoof and said “Long story, I recommend not going outside for a while.” So then Starlight removed her hoof from Spike’s mouth.

Spike told Starlight “I won’t, don’t worry, besides I prefer the indoors anyway.” as Spike did a belly flop into a beanbag chair.

Starlight chuckled at Spike’s antics, and said, “Spike, don’t believe what those ponies said about you, okay.”

Spike responded by saying “Don’t worry I don’t plan on listening to them anytime soon.”

Spike felt a lot better now that he knew he had ponies who care about him, and best of all he now knew that Starlight meant every word of what she said.

Author's Note:

So this is my first story so I decided to try writing for two of my favorite characters. I always wondered what would happen to Spike if the towns ponies ran into him during “Fame and Misfortune” so I figured I’d give it a shot.
I apologize for any writing mistakes or cheesiness. I hope I did well, this isn’t meant to be a ship story just a simple friendship story.

Comments ( 30 )

The most unsung useful thing Spike does? Kept Twilight from growing up into a jerk, the responsibility she had in caring for Spike shaped Twilight into who she is. He helps keep her grounded, even during the Smarty Pants debacle who was it that called in Celestia to help? Spike.

10552127
Actually Twilight’s pretty nice on her own, but yeah with Spike around she did learn responsibility and he does keep Twilight calm a lot, Starlight doesn’t know that however so I didn’t mention it. What did you think about the story?

10552148
Even when he's not there the influence is. Twilight eventually says it herself, even from the start Spike was the friend who was aways there for her, with him she always had the magic of friendship even before she recognized it.
I do like the story, Starlight and Spike tend to click really well, and Starlight hit it on the head how the girls feel about him.

10552183
Yeah I figured Starlight was a great option for the comfort role, since she was super annoyed at how the towns ponies were treating her friends. Plus considering how close her and Spike seem to be I figured this was in character for her.

Are my StarlightXSpike senses tingling?

10552475
Why yes they are. While it is more of a friendship story, I added a few shipping moments for me and the other Spike x Starlight fans. I plan on writing a Spike x Starlight story at one point so don’t worry.

10552695
You should make that story be a sequel to this one

10552696
If I do make it a sequel to this one, can you give me some ideas on what I should do? I can’t come up with any ideas. I’ll be sure to give you credit when I make the story.

10554178
We could collab
I can only talk through PM though

10554179
Oh that’d be fun, I’ll go PM you. Hopefully we have fun.

10554189
I hope that we will

It bugged the hell out of me on Spike being completely absent from that episode, he got excluded hard from the girls there.
Yeah he didn't get chewed up by the mob in the episode due to not being there but it hurts that he got left out hard from the girls and baffling on how he was just missing in that episode.

10552183
Too bad despite that apparently he's excluded from the girls and their "magic" alot until the series finale(though they should have touched on how he was included in the rainbow for real there)

10555143
Glad I gave you your justice. I always wondered how Starlight would react to an angry mob mistreating and mocking Spike. She’d be super annoyed. So would Twilight but I figured Starlight doesn’t get enough credit for her bond with Spike since she almost never did anything to hurt him except for Horse Play although to be honest all she did was force him to stall a crowd and it was either him or her given how bias the Mane 5 can be.(no offense to fans of the Mane 6 I’m sure they care about him and Starlight).

10555155
I think Luna was the only one from the crowd in Horse Play that didn't threw tomatos at him there.

10555223
Yeah Luna knows better than that.

10555243
Not only the play adds in salt to the wound that she is not appreciated as much as Celestia, but her witnessing Spike going through that(and Celestia willing to raise the sun during night) is sure not something she like to see.
She probably would check up on him.

10555249
Starlight and Twilight would check on him too in my opinion with the former being super apologetic, and the latter being concerned.

10555253
Luna probably questioning the two there.

10555278
You should make a story on that if you feel like it or I could do it as a request for you if you want.

The idea behind this is pretty sweet, and, given how the mob behaved during that episode, them bullying him this way is believable as well. However, I'll be honest with you, the story's execution needs work. Your spelling and grammar is rather rough at times (most notably I noticed some tense shifts, incorrect preposition use, and also a lot of missing punctuation). It might sound scary, but a good editor or even some spell-/grammar-checking program will be able to deal with these with ease. If you don't know where to look for editors, try this group. I also spotted a bunch of recurring direct speech issues. I won't go into detail here for the sake of keeping this comment moderately short, but if you want, I can PM you a simple guide on how to write it correctly.

However, what I mentioned above are just minor issues. The largest problem that I see here is that almost every paragraph in this story is just one very long run-on sentence--a sentence made up of multiple unrealted clauses. The resulting sentence is hard to read, doesn't make much sense, and oftentimes forces the reader to read it multiple times to comprehend what just happened. An editor or some programs can help you with run-ons as well, though to be honest, you can deal with most of them yourself. Simply split them up (and adjust slightly where needed) into separate stand-alone sentences.

I'm sorry that my comment on your first story has to be such a negative one, but I feel a little brutal honesty will help you grow as a writer much better than any amount of sugarcoating ever would. You have the potential to tell a great tale one day, and all it needs is just some extra polish to make your stories shine.

Let me know if anything was unclear or if you have any additional questions. :twilightsmile:

10556374
It’s okay I get why you would think that, I hope you liked the story either way.

Spike was angered by what they said and angrily retorted “Hey I’m not useless or a lizard, I’m very useful and also I’m a dragon.”

Just spit fire and burn them.

The crowd just laughed harder and a stallion with a green coat and a blue mane mocked him even more by saying “Really I couldn’t tell, given the fact you can’t breathe fire.”

He can

One of the mares backed the stallion up by saying “Yeah plus he’s such a pushover by letting Rarity take advantage of him.

The green stallion laughed a bit and then replied by saying “I mean he’s more of a servant than a friend given how Twilight and the others just have him do a bunch of work and always leave him behind.”

I could kinda agree with that.

Starlight was a bit shocked to hear him question his self worth, but then she remembered he was just bullied, it has that affect on ponies, she’d know from her own experiences and she would not wish that on any of her friends including Spike, but now was not the time to lament about that, she needs to focus on helping Spike feel better about himself.

Was she bullied?

10556752
Spike was mostly able to breathe a tiny bit of fire at the Season 5 finale, plus I doubt he’s gonna breathe fire at someone who just annoys him. As for the Starlight thing that’s more of a head canon but it would explain why she was afraid to make friends.

10556552
As I have said, I like the idea of the story. However, it could have easily been much more likeable, possibly might have even ended up featured. As for the rest, that’s not really about what I think, that’s what rules of proper writing say. :raritywink:

Anyway, let me know if you ever need anything.

Spike just got back from Canterlot after doing some royal business, and now he just got out of the train and now he was finally heading back to Twilight’s castle, as he was walking back to the castle once he stepped in the Ponyville sidewalk he was really confused at what was going on, a bunch of ponies were wearing shirts with the Mane Six’s cutie marks on them, and they were arguing for some reason, he clearly missed a lot, but before he decided to question the new shirts, he decided to break up the argument and see what was going on.

Holy Moly... this is a HUGE single period. With a start that is full of repetitions... Don't know if it is intentional, but is REALLY confusing.

AS for the rest... It definitely needs some polish, there is other long periods that would benefit from a reworking, but not bad.

10589917
Sorry, it was my first story, I was still a mega newbie at the time but I think my writing´s getting better.

10555281
I am not really much of a writer honestly. More of a reader/idea-giver or something.

Would be interesting to see.

The green stallion laughed a bit and then replied by saying “I mean he’s more of a servant than a friend given how Twilight and the others just have him do a bunch of work and always leave him behind.”

ahh! he said the forbidden Spike secret. we must silence him. :pinkiegasp:
I'm actually kinda glad the Sparlight here was only a neutral friendship. It'd help have me see this as a personal headcanon for the episode itself.
Speaking of headcanons...

Spike just got back from Canterlot after doing some royal business

Here's a comedic story I found that I also accept as a personal headcanon, and it'll explain why Spike was in Canterlot in this story.

Login or register to comment