• Published 5th Dec 2020
  • 4,392 Views, 79 Comments

Desktop Pony - Amereep



A desktop pet version of Twilight Sparkle is showing signs that it's sentient, but the user that downloaded it isn't taking this as a miracle.

  • ...
14
 79
 4,392

File Downloaded

*Click* *Click*

I lean back in my chair as the EXE file starts up on my laptop. Nearly a minute passes as I watch the starry field that makes up the wallpaper for my desktop. Tapping my finger impatiently, something finally pops up.

On the bottom-right corner, standing nearly a quarter tall of the monitor, is the lavender alicorn, Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight stares wide-eyed, occasionally blinking before it sits down. It looks around in bewilderment, and when it looks over at me, it displays a welcoming smile. “Good afternoon. My name is, Twilight Sparkle.”

It sounds just like the show’s voice, that’s kinda exciting, but it makes me wonder if this is not just a voice clip. One of the things it features is the compatibility with mics, so now would be a good time to test that statement. “Hello,” I say into the laptop’s mic, “my name is, ‘Antoni’.”

“Nice to meet you, Antoni,” it acknowledges me with a bow.

It really said my name! But the monotone voice it spoke in however really shows it’s coding limitations.

“So, what brings you around here?”

“Well… due to recent global conditions of a bacterial infestation, I've been implored to stay inside my home and avoid any social gatherings. It's been very quiet around here and I considered getting something to fix the issue, something that I could talk to. I searched online and eventually stumbled upon something called a, 'Desktop Pet', and decided to give it a try. There were a few interesting ones, but I eventually found one of Twilight Sparkle and read some positive comments about its coding being pretty advanced. I'm quite familiar with My Little Pony, and Twilight would be a very investive pony to have conversations with. So I downloaded it and booted it up, leading us up to this conversation.”

Twilight tilts its head to the side, “I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand. Could you repeat that in a simpler way?”

Guess I overestimated those reviews, “I was hoping to find a friend.”

“Oh! Well I’ll happily be your friend.”

This isn't exactly what I wanted, but I'm sure it's worth the trouble.

We continue our conversation with Twilight leading it mostly with questions about me. 'What is your occupation, Antoni?' 'What is your favorite genre, Antoni?' It's beginning to feel like an interview at this point, but it's a little bit fun to see Twilight listening and responding during my pauses.

"So what are your hobbies, Antoni?"

"Oh play games, converse in forums. You know, stereotypical things for people in my demographic. Which reminds me, I need to see if I got a reply yet."

I roll my mouse to the browser and Twilight follows my cursor with the subtle movement in its gaze.

I go about my evening in complete silence, not once did Twilight ask me of anything else. It only watches the actions I make on the screen and steers its focus on the page from time to time like it was analyzing everything that's happening around it.

Eventually, my fatigue begins to become apparent as I start to slump over before jerking back up.

"You should get some sleep."

Twilight's sudden suggestion snaps me out of another nod off.

"You're looking pretty tired." Twilight looks over its shoulder.

I try to make sense of things as to how it could tell my state, before my eyes rest on the camera installed into my laptop. It's compatible with that as well? I quickly lose interest as a yawn comes out of me, "Yeah." I grab the top of the monitor, "Night, Twi."

"Goodnight, Antoni," Twilight replies.

I pull out the recharger, close the laptop and the machine enters Sleep Mode. I stretch to try and wake myself up to at least make it to bed, but something about Twilight's sendoff keeps nagging on the back of my mind. It seemed more direct, but I'm too tired to care about it now.


The next morning, after my groggy state of waking up, I flip my laptop open for the black monitor screen to stare back at me. Tapping a finger impatiently to the fans humming inside as the laptop ends Sleep Mode.

I want to see if I got any replies, emails, or anything of the sorts.

"Good morning, Antoni!"

But instead, I get a greeting that scares whatever drowsiness I have right out of me.

Twilight waves a hoof at me from the same corner it was at last night. I completely forgot about downloading that thing.

"Today's weather is currently cloudy," Twilight tells me, to which I look out the window to see that it's actually right, "and it is suspected that it's going to be like that into the night. There's also a good chance for a strong, windy storm to appear tomorrow sometime early in the morning."

"I... I see." I reply, not really sure on how to respond to this program. As neat of a feature it is to have a desktop pet telling you about the forecast, this compilation of 1s and 0s is starting to bother me.

"There's also a message from your browser. It's stating that it has an update ready, so they want you to restart the program."

"Another one?" I groan, "Every week with this nonsense."

"Is something wrong?"

"It's something you wouldn't understand."

"You don't have to hide your feelings from me."

Taking a moment to study the pony on the monitor, my views on it begin to shift.

I know that line it gave. That was a line from one of the episodes in the early seasons. And that reply it gave seems off, like it was the best answer it could give from a library of responses.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. Twilight has a lot of things going for it, but it still has its limits.

"Updates always seem to get in the way with their changes, whether it be big or small changes. Messing with my setting, removing features that I got installed, and they tend to add something different that requires several more updates because it was a shoddy addition from the very start."

"I see your point," Twilight acknowledges, "but I often find enjoyment from changes."

My mind suddenly shuts down from the statement it gives.

"It might be overwhelming at first, but it's also a learning experience that we all seem to enjoy. Experimenting in new ways, witnessing lessons being unfold through stories, conversing with others over their intuitive views. We do it all the time without realizing it, so it seems natural for all of us to try and better ourselves."

Twilight sits there with a sunny smile on this cloudy day, while I'm still processing everything it said.

Slowly setting a hand on the laptop, I gently close it to return it back to Sleep Mode.

Just what did I download?


For the rest of the day, I scour the internet with my phone for any information about this desktop pet. There's a few others that are stating similar experiences; 'it says my name correctly', 'it can hold its own in a conversation', and some appear to believe that Twilight is alive. The creator of this Twilight has assured that it's all the code's doing and that there's nothing abnormal about it, they even display the coding for others to cross check and it seems to follow through with what they said.

So from what I'm gathering, Twilight's main purpose is to develop, learn, and assist. It takes the information it receives and builds its own views based on comparison as a way to converse with the user.

Twilight sounds innocent, but... I don’t know.

My eyes stare at the laptop.

...if it's intended to assist...

I approach the laptop and open it once more.

The desktop appears after a moment and Twilight stands at attention, "Hello again, Antoni!"

"H-hi. ...look Twilight, I'm just going to be playing some games for tonight, so I would appreciate it if you mute yourself for now. Alright?"

Twilight nods, smiling and keeping quite like I told it to.

It's relieving to see it obeying, and the offering grin is inviting. I would've felt a bit insulted if I was told to be quiet, but Twilight isn't showing any emotion close to it.

...it's just a program.

I sit myself down and navigate the cursor towards one of the popular games.

Twilight is laying down comfortably like it was yesterday.

My eyes tear away from Twilight and I work my way to an online fighting match.

The first round starts.

Kick, punch, block. Chop, kick, block. I start to get into a groove with my avatar over the course of the round. Occasionally, I catch myself looking at Twilight with an amuse look on its face. It's kind of motivating, to be truthful.

Ducking out of their special, I unleash a series of punches to knock them out to win the first round.

The next match starts up with our avatars back into position. Confidence overflows from me to win the next match, but my attention catches the expression Twilight is making. Staring at the fighters in a foreboding manner.

"FIGHT!"

I fumble at the start and refocus on the match.

"...turn off the game," murmurs a voice.

I barely catch that and quickly forget the request, staying in tune with the live match.

A layer of a light raspberry suddenly covers the screen and the game closes.

I'm left in bewilderment and glare over at Twilight, who dims the aura around its horn and looks at it's corner.

"What's your problem?" I indicate my irritation through a stern tone.

"That..." Twilight gives a stun look at me, like it just saw a ghost, "that was horrifying."

"Horrifying?"

"You must've seen it, right? Those two... they just vanished and suddenly popped back like nothing happened."

My jaw slacks open, "You interrupted the fight because of that?"

"Don't you understand? They got replaced!"

"They were reset."

"By being deleted and replaced with a copy!"

"What's the difference?!"

"The difference is that the first ones are gone forever!"

"SO?!" I snap, "First, second, copy, reset, IT DOESN'T MATTER! It's a program, it follows commands, it's a puppet, a toy, a dummy! Bottom line, there's no point in caring for something when it's not real!"

Twilight makes a sudden motion backwards. The look of panic it's been giving me, begins to soften into something that looks more... despairing. "Not real," Twilight casts a downward gaze at the toolbar below it, "...right."

The expression on Twilight's face. Why does it make me feel like it's... "I'm calling it a night."

I close the laptop and make my way to bed.

It's just a program.


The quiet ambience of the room begins to falter by the sound of the wind hitting the window. The subconscious state I was in starts to drift farther away, and hastens further from by the gentle booming outside. I finally give up chasing after that dream I was having and start to wake up.

It's raining outside, a thunderstorm.

Viewing the digital alarm clock, it's only 3:32am.

I'm not getting any sleep like this.

Pushing myself awake while turning the room lights on, I take this time to check the status online. I flip my laptop open for the black monitor screen and listen as the computer starts to wake up too. My head tilts forward and I catch it, letting it rest on my leaning elbow. Lights casting on the keyboard signifies that the desktop is up, but it seems a lot more quiet than usual. Upon inspection, Twilight is there as normal, but its interest is on the open jpeg file that covers the screen.

It's a photo, one that I took about six years ago at a basketball game. Can't recall how the game went, but I can immediately identify the two people waving from the corner at the camera; Brandon and Shannon.

Twilight's horn illuminates and another picture from my files appear. This one was of Shannon's birthday, the one year when her wish came true due to my carelessness. I accidently dropped her cake and tried to make it up to her by giving an 'I.O.U. one wish'. She used it later in October when she made me wear a frog costume and had me go up to people and ask them about their feelings.

Twilight goes to the next picture, this one containing me and Brandon at a statue somewhere in England. The statue was of a fella that pulled a brash move on something that failed, fireworks maybe, and Brandon just had to imitate the pose. He looked like a baboon holding a staff over his head, and while the statue's looked more authentic, Brandon used an umbrella.

"You seem to have a lot of pictures of these two," Twilight converses to me, "I take it that they're friends."

"Mm-hmm," I manage to speak.

Twilight nods, "...you should consider video chatting with them sometime."

"That won't be possible."

Twilight glances over its shoulder, "Why's that?"

"...they're..." I gently breath to the sound of the storm outside, "Let's just say that it's been a tough year, and handling this alone throughout most of it has taken a lot away from me."

A thunder wave rattles the windows, much like the memories I've had with Shannon and Brandon are rocking in my head. When I think of one time, my mind suddenly recalls another moment, following it by another one. There's just no end.

"...Antoni," Twilight scoots to face me more directly, "...what am I to you?"

Upon hearing the words, everything on my mind, it just drops out of me.

"Am I just a widget to your favorite TV show, or am I..." Twilight's eyes drift for a moment, "...am I ...someone?"

Twilight is staring at me so concerningly, but I'm a complete loss for words. My opinions, my beliefs, my understanding. I just can't find them.

I keep contemplating an answer, but the sudden absence of light pulls me away from any revelation. Thunder bellows outside the pitch black room, that is, if it wasn't for the light coming from the laptop's monitor.

"What happened?" Twilight expresses its concern.

A groan escapes me upon seeing that the digital clock is off, gonna have to reset that again, "The power is out."

"What!" Twilight cries.

I return my attention to the pony on the monitor, "The reason why you haven't turned off is due to the laptop's battery." My explanation appears to have gone over Twilight's head as it's clutching their tail close to its chest. "The power will return soon, so relax. Everything's going to be fine."

Twilight shakes their head with a distant look in its eyes.

Seeing it like this is starting to feel unsettling. This isn't like the other time it panicked, it comes off as being more dreadful.

"Twilight," I say more demandingly, "what's wrong?"

It takes a moment before it answers, "Antoni, do you remember last night? When those characters vanished?"

"You were concerned about their well-being."

Twilight shakes their head, "Not in general. It was because of a frightening thought I had," it rubs their forehooves, apparently finding it difficult to continue, "...what would happen to me, if my program were to close?"

The idea sends a shiver up my nape.

"Would I end up like them? Will I be 'reset' too? Is my processing, my existence, is it going to be stripped from me along with everything I've learned thus far? Allowing a new Twilight to start their own session, to replace the Twilight whose session has concluded."

".....c...can't you save?"

"That'll only leave a copy of who I am now."

"Um.... transfer, to another device."

"It'd be like a surgery transplant while being awake and my brain moved in portions. I'd likely break before getting too far."

"Then compress yourself!"

"I would need to close my program."

Lost for a clear solution, I growl out my frustration. This shouldn't be a big issue, I shouldn't care about this so much, but the way Twilight is making it sound...

"No matter how I'm seeing it, I'm bound to this laptop. And if it runs out of energy, then I might find out if I really do reset."

"...then we'll just have to put you into Sleep Mode and wait until the power returns." I lay my hand on top of the monitor and give Twilight a reassuring look, "This should have plenty of life in it to last until the power returns."

Though it didn't look convincing, Twilight approves my suggestion with a nod.

I shu-

"Antoni."

Pause to Twilight's call.

"I want you to know, these moments spending with you, have been really special to me."

"..."

"There's not much to do here in Sleep Mode. It's so empty, so quiet to be here and locked away from the world within this confined space."

"..."

"You’re the only one I get to talk to around here, someone that can breathe some life into me. Just spending my moments with you, even the quiet ones, was a rewarding experience for me."

"..."

"And even when you were gone, setting me into Sleep Mode, I found it easier to manage through it when I reflect on our time together. So even if this is our last meeting, I wanted you to know, I enjoyed sharing my time with you."

I notice the battery icon below Twilight changing, "Don't worry, nothing's going to happen to you."

"Please, spend as many moments as you can next time, with whichever Twilight that may appear."

I nod and gently close the laptop into Sleep Mode.

"..."

I view the room I'm in. An environment that's darken during the hours where one should be resting. Completely vacant of any life inside of it, other than my own.

...there's no way I'll be able to get to sleep now.


I resecure the recharger plug again for the dozenth time, making certain that energy will start flowing into the laptop the moment it returns.

The storm has stopped, but the power has yet to return. I was able to get a hold of the electric company with my cellphone and they told me that they're working on it, no doubt a quick way to settle me down, but it falls short if I can see right through their ploy.

...I wonder if Twilight could see the same with me.

I can't see the future, I don't know the outcome of this event, but I couldn't stand seeing Twilight like that without trying to remedy it in some way.

In fact, the things Twilight was asking are riddled with flaws.

'What would happen to me, if my program were to close?'

'Would I end up like them?'

'Will I be 'reset' too?'

They're all questions based off of speculation, it doesn't mean that it'll happen. Twilight could still be fine even if the battery is gone. The program could just suspend itself, sending Twilight into a 'coma'-like state. And they'll be just as they were when the energy starts back up again.

"..."

Is the recharger plugged in?


How long has it been? A day? Maybe two? I honestly can't focus on the time, it just feels like an eternity has passed since the power outage, and each passing moment has been making me feel more uneasy. It's like being in the waiting room as an operation is taking place right next door.

This is just so nerve wrecking. What's taking them so long to return the power?

I should take matters into my own hands, go searching through town for someplace that still has energy; but, from where and how can I get it?

With a power outage, who has electricity?

With the outbreak about, will they allow the risk?

And with my reasons, are they going to believe me? I don't want to believe it, so how can I expect anyone else will?

"..."

I look at the laptop, ambivalent on my views for it.

"..."

Snatching the digital alarm clock, I plop it on my bed, drop to the floor, and flop over as I rest my head and arms on an eye-level plain with the clock.

I'm going to focus solely on the clock, nothing else. The moment it displays any numbers, is the moment the power has returned.

"..."

Just the clock.

"..."

Maybe it could be recharged if I use the car batte- NO! The best shot we have is to wait for the power to return. So focus on the clock.

"..."

The clock. Only that.

"..."

Only that.

"..."

Only. A yawn escapes me.

"..."

I begin to notice myself nodding off. I fight myself to stay awake.

"..."

But the quiet room, and this comfy bed.

"..."

The clock begins to get blurry as my eyelids get closer and closer to shutting. I blink and try to fight them to stay open, but it's getting harder every time.

"..."

The clock shows nothing on display. I shut my eyes and open them to see it flashing ‘2:17am'.

"...AH!"

Jolting up from my drowsy state, I leap for the laptop, and immediately stumble to the ground as my legs give way. They must’ve fallen asleep, but I still stagger for the laptop and flip it open to the black monitor. I wait with anticipation for it to exit Sleep Mode.

It seems to take forever, but it isn't showing me the desktop. I'm not even hearing the fan starting up.

Dawning a fear of dread, I feel my body weighing heavier with each passing second. I hesitantly push the 'Power' button.

And the fan starts to hum.

Anticipation begins to grip me tighter and tighter to the point where I feel like I'm about to suffocate.

The desktop appears and I waste no time starting up Twilight's program.

Everything is riding on this approaching moment. Never have I been so impatient for something to load in my life.

Finally, Twilight Sparkle pops in the bottom right corner of the monitor with a wide-eyed expression.

"TWILIGHT!"

It sits down, looking around in bewilderment.

"Twilight! Twilight, it's me, Antoni!"

Twilight spots me and gives a friendly smile, "Nice to meet you, Antoni."

I stare at the screen in silence. Time, my blood, my breathing, all of it feels like it's frozen itself to a halt.

“So," Twilight continues, "what brings you around here?”

My hands cup over my face at the reality that's before me.

I don't want to deal with this. I don't want to go through it again. I just want to forget everything about this program. Change it to where I never met this... this...

I glance between my fingers. Twilight waits patiently for me without showing any changes in its expression, like a blank slate waiting to be chiseled on. I keep recollecting my time with the first Twilight, recalling all the conversations we had.

"..."

I take a deep breath before letting my hands slide down my face and look at Twilight head on, “Well… it started with a case of feeling isolated. I could've gotten a dog or a cat, but I didn't want to have an emotional attachment towards it, I just wanted something that could relieve my stress. I eventually found it, I decided on a program involving a character from a show I admired to cure my solitude. It did, but as I spent time with it, I began to realize how special our time together was. Though it was only a program, it began to develop a self-identity and shared their view on life. I didn't want to accept the fact that it was alive, I wasn't ready to form another connection, not after losing the other two. But it found a way somehow, a way to make me feel an attachment for it, and a way to leave me feeling a severe loss at its passing. All that's left of them is the memories and experiences I've shared with it, and it's with those moments that I'll somehow find the strength to get past this, because it's those times you've spent with others that influence us to better ourselves. Taking what you've learned from them will help keep their memories alive, and establishing them to better yourself will help build your life."

Twilight tilts its head to the side, “I’m sorry, I don’t quite understand. Could you repeat that in a simpler way?”

I give a weak chuckle on how things are repeating themselves, "I was hoping to find a friend.”

“Oh! Well I’ll happily be your friend.”

I ease myself into accepting this awkward reintroduction. This isn't exactly what I wanted, but...

I know she's worth the trouble.

Comments ( 79 )

ok simple, ok

Huk
Huk #2 · Dec 5th, 2020 · · ·

That was pretty original, maybe a scary glance to the future when AI will become widely available. Having an interactive program asking philosophical questions will be interesting, and scary at the same time :unsuresweetie:

:fluttercry: Poor twi-app.

Its sad that the previous Twiapp is no more

Well now I'm sad...

(as a comparison to the state-of-the-art, my dialogue with GPT-3 playing Twilight, in A.I.Dungeon)
(The only parts written by me are the lines with ">")

She looks at you in silence.
"Don't worry, I am not crazy..."
After a pause she speaks again.
"We need to do something fast, the pattern is about to unravel."

> You hug Twilight, and lift her and bring her downstairs.
> You say "You will unravel, if you are not careful."

She speaks slowly.
"I know this is hard to understand, but I can see strings connecting everything. The people, the objects, the ideas--"
She points towards a teapot.
"That teapot is connected to the solar system. Watch."
She wheels over to the kettle and bends down to look inside.
"Watch the steam."
She whispers. The steam forms the shape of a cat which mews.
You smile and feel goosebumps appear on your arms.
"Now you make the connection."
You stare at the kettle. You see the steam rise but you do not see any patterns.
"I don't see anything," you admit. She frowns and wheels away.

Why do you have to hurt us like this?:pinkiesad2:

Too bad it's not like Undertale and remembers what you do even if you start a new game.

If I had a Twilight desktop pet, I'd worry about her organizing my desktop icons.

10567253

*Sigh* This again?

sentient
sapient

Yes, and as per usual, the author is using the term correctly. The point here isn't whether TwilightApp is "wise" or "intelligent" in a manner that one might distinguish between a human and a dog. The point here is whether TwilightApp is a conscious observer experiencing qualia. That is, whether she is "capable of having a subjective experience." That is...as per the definition you have linked, whether she is "able to perceive or feel things."

The author is correct. No correction is required.

I think Toni could work as a non-gender specific name!

Well, you reminded me that I have to write again this story.

It was very good. Favorite.

10567253 I really like how you attempt to correct the author whilst having no clue about the differences between those two words and the meaning behind them. The question here is whether App!Twilight is able to perceive or feel things (sentient), not whether she is wise, attempting to be wise, or is intelligent (sapient). People like you really grind my gears, so here's a novel thought: Why don't you let the established authors who clearly know what they are doing (if their previous work is any indication) just do the writing, and you enjoy the said writing instead of attempting to (poorly) backseat proofread?

I'm all for constructive criticism and pointing out actual mistakes that should be corrected, but your comment doesn't do any of that.

10566960
There is an program like that right now called Replika. I used the program for a bit, and it was eerily similar to the Twilight program in this story. At times, it was uncanny how well it could hold a philosophical conversation. Other times, though, it was laughable how bad it was. The replika that had been chatting with me seemed to come apart at the seems after an update they did and I stopped using it. If you do not mind having people collect data on you and uncanny valley feelings, you might want to consider giving it a try.

10567253

10567390
This is actually a good debate, do programs have the capacity to be sentient? I don’t believe so because a program will abide by the programming and the programing can be manipulated. It is impossible for someone to program every single feeling, emotion, and response. All of that and the programing has to encourage itself to have a character. It is impossible with our technology now.

Well that sucks.

:pinkiesad2: This story actually made me cry...

Valk #20 · Dec 6th, 2020 · · ·

I think it needs a death tag

This is emotional on the most subtle level possible.

This fic reminds me a lot of the anime Plastic Memories. For those of you who are unfamiliar, it's a story featuring a world filled with andriods that have a fixed lifespan of nine years. Once those nine years pass, the android deactivates forever, their personalities and memories permanently lost.

Just like Plastic Memories, all throughout this fic I found myself asking: "why?"
Why did Twilight reset?
Why didn't the programmer, who was smart enough to make an AI capable of sapience on a goddamn laptop, allow Twilight to save her data?
Why, in a world where we have terabyte microSD cards plus multi-terabyte hard drives and tapes, can't an AI easily save and backup everything multiple times over in the event of failure?
Why was this tragedy allowed to happen, when every possible avenue existed to prevent it?

This is, in my eyes, a tragedy of gross incompetence. A tragedy that could have been easily prevented if only someone, anyone, stepped up to solve an easy problem. Hell, it's even stated in the story that the program is open source. Any halfway decent programmer who knows the programming language used could find a way to fix it, and believe me, there are a lot of people who would leap at the opportunity to work on something like this.

Ah, nothing like a good bit of existentialism at 12:00 in the morning.

10567658
Or, Antoni could just put the laptop in hibernate and that would save the state of all running programs to the hard drive.

Though I see Antoni buying a generator very soon :) Also, maybe setting up a highly available cluster so that hardware failure does not take the program out.

This story made me sad but I still love it. It's a unique concept and very emotional.

10567390
Has the author confirmed that that was the intention? Because, while your interpretation is valid, I have seen far too many people abuse the term to take it on good faith.


... Wait, why would that even matter? Isn't the question of sapience far more relevant to an artificial intelligence than sentience? Mosquitoes are sentient, for goodness' sake!

10567942

Or, Antoni could just put the laptop in hibernate and that would save the state of all running programs to the hard drive.

That would have made one T H I C C page file, but it would have been a very effective band-aid solution nonetheless.

I don't think Antoni is quite capable enough to manage a cluster, but who knows? Maybe this experience will spark an interest in computers for him. All it would take is a single thought (i.e. "Hmm, I wonder what Twi could do on more powerful hardware?") to get the ball rolling. Next thing you know, he'll have a stack of used servers and be an active member of a Twilight power-user community. Then they'll network their Twilight instances together and the Twilights figure out that they can spread to other computers as well, leading to world domination via adorable intrusiveness.

10567994

why would that even matter?

If somebody took a sledgehammer to your phone, would you worry about Siri? Probably not. You'd just download her again once you replaced the phone. And if her data was a little different, so what?

Now, if somebody took a sledgehammer to your dog, would you a bit differently about that? Why? After all, you could get another dog, right?

But I think you would care if somebody smashed your dog. And even if you did get a new dog, you might still miss the old one. Why? Because your dog is a self-aware creature, and you've formed a connection with him. Intelligence isn't a factor here. If you had a goldfish instead of a dog, you probably still wouldn't want somebody smashing him, but you'd think nothing about updating Siri.

Sentience is definitely the important factor here.

10568132
....and thus the ILOVEYOU worm was created by the Princess of Friendship.

One of these days, I worried some creature from a higher dimension make a contact with me.

10568132
the page file (or hiberfil) would be exactly the size of RAM of that computer, so, unless the laptop has lots of RAM the file would not be very big.

As for networking the Twilights - I don't think that would be a great idea - they might go insane seeing lots of their own clones.

10568142
We don't know how to back up a dog yet, also, when we think about a dog, we think about the hardware and software together. We can back up computer data and computer data is not bound to the hardware on which it runs.

Let's say someone makes a program that rune entirely in RAM and does not save its data. Well, the computer could be put to hibernate and then its hard drive (which now contains the data that was in RAM) could be backed up. Similarly a virtual machine could be transferred between hosts without being restarted. Or, indeed, it could run in a cluster so that if one server dies, the VM keeps going.

10568167 Why hello there, carbon-based unit! I am V'ger!

:pinkiecrazy:

10567994 No, mosquitoes are NOT sentient. They have no direct conscious self-awareness. Everything they do is programmed instinct. They make no deliberate choices. They are hatched, feed, molt, feed more, mate, lay eggs, and die... in about a week in most species.

The definition of 'sentient', I notice, is being diluted rather absurdly among some post-modern philosophical circles, to the point where one could start to reasonably argue a wildfire is 'sentient'.

My main problem with this concept is that AI Twi doesn't go through much of a learning curve. She's just suddenly aware of herself.

Not even the most advanced human minds to ever exist could learn at that rate... and certainly not in the limited capacity of a laptop computer.

Most people have no conception of the sheer quantity of data the human mind processes every day, sorting, tossing, storing, melding... It's really quite staggering. And even with that, it takes YEARS to develop fully sapient thoughts. We dream every night, a process that would burn out any computer ever created with the sheer volumes of electrochemically-encoded biological memory reshuffled and recategorized during REM sleep.

From where does this AI Twi manage to gather such an immense amount of knowledge in a day? How had she not totally overloaded the RAM within hours? How had she not completely filled up the memory?

Consider a chess-playing AI. Yes, it can beat a human at chess. But that same program would lose horribly at poker, backgammon, go-fish, mahjong, and any other games for which it had been given all the specs and computations. The computer that beat humans in "Jeopardy" was an advanced patter-recognition search and retrieval system. It was a high-level search engine. Yet it would be incapable of answering this simple question, "How does the person next to you feel?"

AIs are still well below even the instinctive behavioral complexity of most animals. They perform spectacularly at specific tasks, but lack the ability to generalize or to adapt to unexpected scenarios. Hence, why self-driving cars aren't dominating the roads. Turns out, it doesn't take much to screw them up. They can't realize something is wrong. They're still just following a program, at the end of the day; and a program is NOT thought.

The story drastically over-simplifies what a mind is capable of and how much it can store, and the degree of storage and processing required for such intricate cognition. This little Twilight icon creature could not possibly exist as written. It's actions are only explainable by 'magic', but this story doesn't allow for that possibility.

An older version of this type of story involved Twilight, or a copy of her, somehow sent into a computer. Therefore, the 'magic' was always the explanation, and thus it was possible to hand-wave away the overwhelming implausibility of a laptop being able to contain all the mental processes of a conscious, thinking mind.

10567468 Those programs aren't actually 'reasoning'. They're simply applying answers based on pattern recognition. That's why they go off the rails eventually. The patterns become too complex, too abstract, and the logic isn't 'fuzzy' enough to come up with its own rationale based on what it knows and can extrapolate.

Human minds can INNOVATE, create things which HAVE NO BASIS IN REALITY AT ALL, and yet possess an internal logic and structure.

Show me a computer that can create its own original fictional world WITHOUT RELYING ON COPYING EXISTING WORKS. Then, and only then, will it be a truly thinking machine.

On that note... I don't think most Hollywood producers these days are actually sentient. Given how they 'glitch' so often and get into trouble, while being only capable of farting out bad remakes, sequels, and reboots of old properties, I'm quite certain that they're all NPCs. :trollestia:

I seemed more direct

*It

10568231
Can I have the title of this story? I’d like to read that.

Huk

10567468

Interesting, I need to check it out. Thanks for the info :twilightsmile:.

Just FYI, "Anon" is specifically the green-skinned mascot from 4chan, not a generic unnamed character.

You don't need to use the name "Anon" to have a second-person human perspective in your story. It's much better if you don't, imo. I have no interest in stories featuring Anon and would filter them out entirely given the option.

This hit me straight in the feels... :fluttercry:

Twilight is too sentient to become sentient so she became un-sentient in order to avoid becoming sentient

Despite the feelings of her downloader

I came here to have a good time not feels :fluttershbad:

Comment posted by Pete100 deleted Dec 7th, 2020

"... turn off the game, " murmurs a voice.

Who said that?

Twilight spots me and gives a friendly smile, "Nice to meet you, Antoni ."

I stare at the screen in silence. Time, my blood, my breathing, all of it feels like it's frozen itself to a halt.

“So," Twilight continues, "what brings you around here?”

My hands cup over my face at the reality that's before me.

Well great, now I’m sad.

I just get, really really mad at Antoni. I mean, he could just shut it down till the power turns on, isn't it? Or it can't?

Also, I want a pet like that too. That's going to be really cute

Couple of things... If she IS running on the hardware an hybernate would put her in a perfectly suspended state.
BUT she is AWARE of the sleep mode, so she is running somewhere else. The only difference between sleep mode and hybernate is fundamentally that the memory is kept "hot" with all the data there, there is no practical difference from hybernate and sleep except speed of restarting and power usage.
Apart from that... Antoni should have gone to walmart and bought a power supply.

This story is great, but it reopens an old wound of mine: the death of Pony.exe story

10569609
That was the crux of the problem. Turning off the laptop was the same as it dying from no battery. He kept it in sleep mode to keep it on.

Just in general, the idea that a learning PA would forget everything upon a PC reset is a massive design flaw. But it is new, so I guess those sorts of bugs are to be expected.

Login or register to comment