• Published 1st Feb 2021
  • 1,480 Views, 33 Comments

Hold Still and Let Me Marry You - KingdaKa



Rarity always wanted a dream wedding. Now that she's about to marry the dream girl, she's determined to make the rest just as perfect. Of course she'll overthink this.

  • ...
8
 33
 1,480

II: Guests and Gifts

“Everything is going to be absolutely perfect!”

The fashionista’s excitement at the prospect of making wedding preparations at last could hardly be contained; bouncing about in a seat that could hardly contain her, mind flickering to a new task every second, and a beaming smile that refused to be dampened. Her long-held dream of a fairytale wedding was at last drawing near, and now she would be given the great and precious gift of working to see it come about. And the starring cast could hardly be better!

Celestia sat beside her, allowing her overjoyed fiancé to revel in the numerous daydreams that swirled about in her head. Perhaps it was a girlish silliness that plagued the young woman, but it was a mindset that she saw no reason to disrupt. Her Rarity was happy, taking steps to a deeply cherished childhood dream at long last- and one she would be a part of. Why should she try to keep her focused, when she herself could hardly bear the wait? It had been a lonely life for far too long; to spend it beside this gorgeous woman would be many years well spent.

Across from them, however, was one with perhaps less patience for wasted time. Twilight was grinning at the sight of her thrilled companion, just as happy for her as ever, even if her task-oriented mind demanded that work must begin. She was perfectly happy being Rarity and Celestia’s wedding planner, glad to be part of what would surely be a wondrous occasion for the both of them. But she wanted to work; today was for making plans, sorting through ideas and wishes so as to put to paper something tangible that they could work towards. As much as she was glad for her friends’ happiness, she half-wondered if she would have to be more consistent a voice of reason than she had anticipated.

Thankfully, the more emotionally wild woman she had first met had grown- at least somewhat. Rarity forced herself to take a slow breath and calm her eager spirit, reminding herself that there would be many a long day ahead before the big day finally arrived. “I’m sorry! I lost myself for a moment, darling, forgive me. I’ve come back to earth, I think… now, let’s- let’s really try to get started.”

“I’ll do my best to keep you focused,” Twilight said. “I know you’ve probably got a lot of ideas bouncing around in your head, so I’m here to help you get as close to your dream wedding as possible. It’ll be a lot of work, but… hey, think of what comes when it’s all over.”

“And I’m sure you’ll be splendid help, darling,” Rarity, unwaveringly faithful in her friend’s abilities. “After all, Cadance’s wedding was beautiful once- well, once it was actually her.”

A small laugh, tinged with a trace of nerves. “Yeah, but this is… it’s your wedding, Rarity. It’s Princess Celestia’s wedding, you’re like the power couple! And I know how much you’ve dreamed about this, and after all the both of you have done to help me with so much-”

“No self-doubting, Twilight,” Celestia remarked, her chiding a gentle sound that came from a place of love. “You are the perfect foil to Rarity and I; the voice of reason in the midst of a couple of silly romantics. I can’t think of anyone else who could possibly more suited for the task.”

Though both equals in the sight of the world, Twilight still prized the praise that came from her former mentor. Their relationship had been more akin to mother and child than student and teacher, Celestia’s calming presence of great help in denying her willingness to fret and worry. So just as before, Twilight’s fears dissipated in the warming words that came from her friend, dispelling clouds before they could linger. “Well, I figured we should start with some basics,” she said. “Like… well, what do you picture the actual ceremony to look like? Where do you want it to be, how do you want things to look? Do you want a particular theme for it at all?”

Rarity was swift to reply, or at least was willing to. Before she could let forth the stream of thoughts she held to so dearly, her mind instead turned to the resplendent woman who sat beside her. This was Celestia’s wedding as much as it were her own; that should count for something. And with the many times the loving princess had deferred to Rarity’s desires instead of her own, why not relent and let her have first pick for this occasion? The wedding was only an ends to a means, after all. It was who she would be joined with in the end that counted most.

“I have… I have a few thoughts,” Rarity admitted, gaining a few laughs from her companions at the understatement. “But- Cellie, darling, what do you think? I don’t think you’ve ever even told me before.”

Twilight regarded her friend with some measure of surprise. It hadn’t been the expected reaction at all, she assuming that the romantically driven fashionista would launch into a tangent. But now the focus was upon Celestia, who was now taken somewhat aback and seemingly unsure of herself.

“Well, I- umm…” Celestia struggled to put her words in order, almost shy to reveal her thoughts. “Is- are you sure?” When given a smile by her beloved, some strength seeped into her and roused her courage to speak. “I… I never really thought of it much until I knew I wanted to marry Rarity, and… and I always saw us there in the bright of the morning. I’d like it to be somewhere else but I know matters of state will need the venue to be the palace, and so… so I want it to be like the fullness of spring. Let the halls be full of flowers in bloom, the altar beneath an arbor of cherry blossoms… and the reception! We could have it in the royal gardens and have it aglow with color and lights, so that it would like something out of a dream! And- and, well…” Celestia turned bashful again, face flush as she fell silent out of fear of oversharing. “I’d like something like that.”

Rarity’s mind had been filled with elegance and grace; she was marrying the greatest Princess of Equestria, why not have the wedding be something fit for royalty? Her thoughts had turned to colors of violet and gold, of things made with finery and class in mind that would be beautiful to the eye. She had foreseen a wedding most sovereign, brimming with a fine grandeur that would befit the both of them. Yet now she knew what her royal beloved desired, and her own heart swelled at the revelation. So this gentle princess loved things that grow! To have a wedding day surrounded by the great vibrancy of the green things of the world, the colors of nature alight and there to celebrate alongside them. It was perhaps not so grand and glorious, but why did that really matter? Celestia’s dream wedding would be a celebration, a quieter, sweeter thing that spoke to the depths of their united love; if anything, it was more perfect a fit for them than anything she could have imagined. It was enough to spur tears to her eyes.

“Cellie,” Rarity breathed, turning to her beloved and leaning in close, “that sounds completely wonderful.” She could not resist kissing her, the feel of Celestia’s lips pressed gently against her own the only action that seemed sensible. “Of course we’ll do just that.”

“Are you sure, sweetheart? This is something you’ve looked forward to your whole life.”

“And you’re more than worth the wait, darling,” she whispered. “I love it. Let’s make your dream come true, shall we?”

Twilight rolled her eyes; Rarity and Celestia’s excess romanticism was sweet, even if it was often a bit much. However, they had their first tangible idea, now written down in ink: Garden wedding- a theme of flowers in bloom!

With their more volatile emotions expended early on, the rest of their meeting with Twilight was able to be more productive the longer it lasted. Hopeful ideas were discussed and sorted through, as well as the names of those who could be relied upon. It wasn’t of much surprise to hear Cadance’s name brought up as the officiator, especially when Twilight and Luna’s presence would be required for other roles elsewhere. To hear Pinkie’s name recommended as the brains behind the buffet was just as unsurprising.

“We’ll need to have more than one,” Celestia reminded them. “Yes, there will be the ‘official’ wedding cake, but we’ll want enough for all the guests to at least have a slice of something. Should we ask if Pinkie will want extra hands to help? Especially if she’ll be behind the rest of the meal…”

“Then let her focus on the desserts alone; I’d hate to see her craft be made shoddy by lack of care,” Rarity replied. “Someone in Canterlot, perhaps? There must be someone who’d be willing to cater the wedding.”

“There’s always someone,” Twilight said smoothly. “For now, let’s keep moving down the list and see what we come up with. Like guests! Obviously there’ll be Rarity’s family-”

“And the Canterlot nobility,” Celestia sighed, “Unavoidable. But then there’ll be Cadance and Shining-”

“The rest of the girls-”

“The Apple family, and there will be plenty of them-”

“Some of the Academy will have to come-”

“Some of the Griffon kingdom, even if only for political ties. Trade between them has been critical lately.”

Rarity looked over Twilight’s swift scratchwork, trying to conjure forth a name or face that was meant to be present. As her eyes scanned over the list of persons that would soon receive an RSVP, she found her mind going blank on what more she was meant to think of. “There’ll be quite a few people present,” she murmured.

“The rehearsal dinner will be smaller, if you want it to be,” Twilight offered. “And I’ll cover down on that one for you, too.”

“You’re already doing so much, Twilight…”

“It’s fine. Really, I don’t mind!” The young royal said bracingly. “There’s going to be plenty to do for everyone, I might as well do what I can.”

“Luna will certainly have her hands full,” Celestia remarked. “Maid of Honor duties, as well as her own duties as princess… I certainly pity her.”

“She’ll at least have a partner in that,” Twilight said. “Speaking of that, Rarity, who’s going to be Maid of Honor? I was guessing you were going to ask Fluttershy…”

“It was the thought,” the fashionista admitted. The soft-spoken beauty was her closest friend, her closest confidant and companion in many a daily ritual. More than once she had been a source of comfort during her more emotional moments, a quieter spirit that was less prone to fire in the realms of the romantic. That sort of mentality would be welcome in the midst of such a high-profile wedding, if Fluttershy was able to overcome her more reclusive habits.

As Rarity continued to ponder the thought, Twilight cracked a grin. “Wondering if she’ll get stage fright?” she guessed.

“I’d hate to overwhelm her. There will be so much to do. And so much in the public eye,” was the reply. “You don’t think it’d be too much to ask of her, do you?”

“It… well, it might be a little much,” Twilight admitted. “But I think that, for your sake, she’d be willing to push through it.”

“Wonderful! I’ll ask her as soon as we get back home,” Rarity declared. “As for the rest of the bridesmaids… just a small group overall, what do you think, Cellie?”

The golden princess nodded. “Just the girls, and that should be enough,” she said. “Between the nine of us, I think that should be enough to get things done.”

“Here’s to hoping,” Twilight said, shuffling her multitude of notes together and cracking a smile. “Well, it was a productive first start. Now we just keep focused until- holy cow, we forgot to set a wedding date!

Rarity wanted to protest, but immediately realized that Twilight’s assessment was the correct one. So caught up in the details of preparing a dream wedding, she and her fiancé hadn’t bothered to actually give thought to the day of the actual event itself. “Goodness, you’re- how did we miss that?”

“So much for a productive first start,” Celestia murmured, shaking her head at her own carelessness. “Well, unless anyone objects… The summer solstice?”

Twilight was left aghast. “But that’s just three months from now!”

“Is that not enough?” the princess asked; the concern at Twilight’s reaction was a genuine thing. “You planned Cadance’s wedding with far less time, I assumed you’d be comfortable…”

“I…” Twilight still looked a little punch-drunk, but was doing her best to set her mind in order. “It’ll be a rush, but yes, we should be able to. And I really do mean a rush.”

“Then we’ll have to keep busy,” Rarity surmised. Busy it would certainly be, days jam-packed with tasks and effort that would see her crawling to bed in a heap of exhaustion; but when the prize at the end was to be married to the most beautiful woman in the world, coming to that day sooner rather than later was definitely preferable. “I agree, the summer solstice. Here’s to us!”

“And I’m gonna need a vacation when this is over,” Twilight muttered. “Yeah- here’s to us!”

It wasn’t a delight to either of them, but duty saw the happy couple part their separate ways for the evening; Celestia was still bound to the crown in Canterlot, and all the busywork and politics that came with it. Rarity, her own checklist requiring her elsewhere, would return home to the boutique and continue what she could there all on her lonesome.

“Just for a little while, my precious diamond,” Celestia murmured, cradling her beauteous beloved in her arms and keeping her close. “Remember that, every night until we need never part again.”

“A difficult thing to endure,” Rarity said wistfully. “I dread the days I don’t wake to you beside me. These last few will feel like an eternity.”

“And they’ll be over before you know it,” was Celestia’s reminder. “Have patience, dearest. We’ll be nose to the grindstones soon enough.” The gap between the two closed in a kiss, softly given and just as equally received. So many of their kisses were gentle things, quiet moments of peaceful romance that spoke to the depths of their feeling that came when they were together. Just a time to enjoy the warmth and gentle pressure that came from one another.

Yet sometimes, they weren’t quite enough. Rarity’s hand caressed the smooth face of her beloved, beginning to swoon in Celestia’s arms. The warmth of the sun princess was so comfortable, and the flavor of her lips delectable to her tastes; would it be so bad to indulge in it for a little longer? Especially when Celestia was perfectly glad to return the motion, pulling her closer and tightening their embrace-

“I’m still here!” Twilight’s call roused them from the sinking depths of their torrid romance, Celestia and Rarity surfacing and realizing that the brilliant princess was indeed still present, waiting for their kisses to come to an end with an exasperated grin on her face. “You two need a room. So badly.”

“I could always stay,” Rarity replied coyly.

“Oh no you don’t,” Twilight said, reaching out to pull Rarity along with her. “You have work to do at home, and I will make sure you do it. And you haven’t even started on the dresses yet!”

Celestia sighed, morose as she watched her beloved be dragged away from her presence. It wouldn’t be a long period of separation –only a few days at most- but so close to the finish line, it really was a terrible thing to endure. “I love you!” she cried out.

“I love you, too- don’t shove me, Twilight, that’s rude.”







A knock at the door roused the seamstress from her musings. Numerous sketches of graphite dresses sat before her dulled eyes, pleading to be transformed into works of beauty and elegance. It was certainly Rarity’s intent to see them made into tangible art, but a good half-hour of staring dully at a sheet of paper had yet to bring forth a welling from the fountains of creativity; perhaps even something as simple as a walk to her door would be enough to get her juices flowing.

“And maybe a cup of tea,” she groaned, halfway through a stretch. There was more drowsiness on her bones than she’d perhaps realized.

The package sat beneath a trio of letters on the step to her front door, an inconspicuous thing in a dull-grey box that bore no return address. When she picked it up and took it to the table next to the door, she also took note that her own address had been taped down, formed out of words from numerous newspaper clippings. “Odd,” Rarity murmured. “I wonder what for.” She ran a business, was used to receiving packages from all over; this one was a bit unusual.

The seamstress had only just taken to opening the first letter when something foul hit her nostrils and made her pull a face. Good heavens, something smelled! Quite horribly, like something absolutely wretched. Rarity’s first thought was to check Opal’s litter box, but the smell only grew distant when she crept closer. Maybe something on her shoes that she had unwittingly tracked in? But she’d barely taken a step outside, how could she have not noticed?

The answer came when she passed by the package heading to the front door, the reek becoming so pungent that the source was unmistakable. How had she not noticed when she’d first brought the thing in? What on earth had someone decided to send her? Her first thought was to rip open the box and discover the truth, but caution pleaded for her to take greater care; if the contents of the package smelled that wretched, then perhaps she should put on some measure of protection. Gloves, at the very least.

Rarity returned a minute later with hands kept safe from harm by a pair of rubber glove, a dulled and easily disposable knife tearing through tape and packaging with some difficulty- only increasing when the first putrid wave hit her senses and made her want to gag. Good heavens, it was terrible! “Why didn’t I go outside to do this?” she asked herself, choking on the fumes as she gingerly picked up the package and rushed through the door before the infectious stink could spread further. With one minute hole already present, it may as well just be done. One decent tear and Rarity was through, bringing the contents to light and-

Eurgh!” The beautiful fashionista tossed the package in a fright and was left stunned as the heap of animal dung spilled out from stained cardboard and onto bright-green grass. It was a horrid stink, even when brought out into open air and given more room to float away; the age of the wretched mixture likely was doing her few favors, and Rarity could scarcely believe what she was seeing. Someone had sent her a package of animal droppings! What sort of cruel, mean-spirited, nasty person could have even thought up such a thing? Rainbow loved pranks, but this was something that went far beyond. She couldn’t think of even a reason why someone would in the first place.

As she tried to collect herself, her keen eye caught sight of something white in the midst of the mess; a piece of note paper, now horribly stained but most definitely bearing words. A sigh –and a strong hold of breath- she tip-toed through the spilt muck and pulled out the paper, holding it as far from her form as possible before taking a moment to read the filthy thing’s contents: Enjoy your self-portrait, gold digger!

It was disgusting no matter which way she looked at it. Rarity quickly disposed of the mess-ridden note before returning to her home and washing her hands for minutes on end, just to make absolutely sure not a trace of the filth could be found. Windows would need to be opened to let what smell had been loosed inside would now air out. “What a horrid thing to do!” She whispered furiously. “Gold-digger, indeed!” It was only a guess, but likely some rival of hers was not happy that she was marrying Princess Celestia; as if she needed the Princess to make money! It had never been about that from the very moment they’d been together, and no one could say different!

A small pause. Well, she had chased Blueblood for fame and glamour; the accusation had been true at one point. At least it was a falsehood now.

The unexpected act of malice had done some harm, Rarity finding herself a bit shaken with any hope of creativity now lost. Much as she would like to keep on trying, her mind was not keen on refocusing; maybe some simple cleaning about the place would be of help. Anything to make the smell disappear from her nostrils!

As the young beauty paraded about the house in a flurry of effort, another knock on the door eventually came to her ears and was soon followed by the sound of an opening door. “Hey, Rares!” Came a lively voice, one she soon recognized as Rainbow Dash. The vibrant girl walked through the threshold of the kitchen to find her elegant companion hard at work. “Just dropped in to see-” The prismatic woman’s eyes bugged out for a split-second, a heinous expression on her face. “Holy jeez! What happened, did something die in here? What on earth were you doing?

“I got a package,” Rarity said succinctly, not even turning from her dishes to answer. The less said, the better.

“Someone sent you- do you want any help with it?” Rainbow inquired.

“It’s fine, Rainbow. I doubt it’ll happen again,” she replied. “But thank you for the offer.”

Rainbow pursed her lips, eyeing her friend uncertainly. “You sure?”

This time, Rarity made sure to turn around and face her. The cocky athlete was many things, and chief among them was fiercely loyal. If she asked, Rainbow would search until the ends of the earth to find out who was culpable. “You’re kind, but I won’t ask that of you,” she said. “I’m sorry, I was hoping it would have aired out by now.”

Rainbow shrugged. “It’s not your fault.”

“Is there something I can help you with, Rainbow?” Rarity inquired. “You’re not usually one to visit unannounced.”

“Hmm? Just wanted to say hello, I guess,” she said, a tinge of something unfamiliar present in her voice. “Twi said you three talked out stuff for the wedding the other day, is there anything I can do to help?”

“Not right now, no,” Rarity answered, taking a damp cloth to another plate. “But you’re sweet to offer. I’d be glad to take you up on that when the time comes, though!”

“Sure.” Rainbow fiddled with the cap on her water bottle for a moment. “You, uh… you chosen your bridesmaids yet?”

“No, not yet,” the seamstress said. “Cellie and I were thinking only a few in total. You know Luna will be her Maid of Honor, of course.”

“Oh, of course.”

“I was going to ask Fluttershy to be mine, truth be told,” Rarity added. “You don’t think she’d have trouble with that, do you? You know… stage fright?”

Rainbow’s expression clouded, something storming in her features as she mulled the thought over. “I… well, uh, maybe? She’d probably get scared and do it anyway.”

Rarity bit her lip. That was likely a potential scenario, if she paused to give it any thought. Would asking Fluttershy to undertake a task that she would abhor be something cruel to ask? The two girls had been so close for so long; she hated the thought of willfully making her dearest friend miserable for the sake of her own happiness, especially in such a public manner. “Hmm, you may be right.”

“I mean, ask her if you want to. You know she’ll say yes,” Rainbow said. “Just make sure she knows what she’s getting into, and… you know, let her have an out if she needs it.”

It was wise advice, and from the source that would certainly know best. Rainbow had known Fluttershy almost her whole life, playing the role of elder sibling for as long as the two had been friends. If anyone had the timid woman’s best interests in mind, Rainbow’s name would be high on the list. “I’ll make sure to keep that in mind,” Rarity said. “Will she be at Twilight’s tonight? I know I asked for the lot of you to drop in, but I’ve yet to hear back.”

“Think so, yeah.” Rainbow eyed her friend. “Guessing you’re gonna ask for some help with the wedding?”

“It was the hope,” Rarity admitted. “I’ll tell you more this evening when we’re all there, but right now I’ve still plenty of work to do.” And hopefully some sketchwork will finally come around!

“You’re good. I’ll see you tonight.” Feeling no need to overstay her welcome, the prismatic girl rose from her place and made for the door, yet stopping short of the door and looking over her shoulder. A torn expression came upon her face when she looked at her friend, as though something still lay on her mind; yet only for a short while did it linger, she turning back and heading to destinations unknown for the time being.

Rarity allowed Rainbow the dignity of truly being gone before turning to look towards the door and wondering at what her brash friend had truly intended. There was always a point to everything the athlete did, not the kind to waste time or make meaningless conversation. So she’d certainly come here to ask about something, even if she’d been unwilling to openly say what. “I wonder what it was,” she mused. “The poor dear seemed almost embarrassed about it.”

Despite her efforts to return to the drawing board, Rarity’s mind could offer little inspiration or motivation that would see pen put to paper, simply surrendering to the fact that cleaning the house would be her only tangible act of work for the day. To her credit, she at least left the place spotless; reams of cloth and fabrics that had been tossed lazily about throughout the week were now sorted and stowed, clothes put on racks and personal belongings tucked away. Even her bedroom, her epicenter of laziness, was left clean as a whistle. With little more she could do for the day, and now truly needing Celestia’s presence to take on more, the dissatisfied seamstress allowed herself a reprieve.

“You’ll have to do more tomorrow,” she counseled herself. “Cellie can’t be there for every bit of wedding planning, you’ll have to do plenty of it on your own. At least start making inquiries for music and decorations once you’re done talking to the girls.”

Her first opportunity came that evening, the sun falling beyond the horizon and leaving the six of them to dwell in the comfortable light of Twilight’s crystalline home, far from prying eyes that would mock their freer attitudes. Here, nestled in the depths of Twilight’s private study, there was no one to hold them to a standard, none that could come and condemn simple frivolousness that came about in the midst of friends. Alone, away from the politics and decorum that had overcome their lives in recent years, there was sanctuary.

The wine also did a marvelous job of helping the six of them settle in. A gift from Luna for her birthday, Twilight had brought the deeply aged bottle from her private stores and allowed her friends the honor of partaking in the fine libation. And thanks to its long lifespan, the wine had done wonders in loosening up what inhibitions had unwittingly been brought in through the front door, turning the work-wearied bunch into a giggling gathering of young women.

“OK, OK, stop. I mean it, stop!” Twilight cried out, trying to overcome her excessive mirth as Rainbow continued to egg her on. Ever the handsy pair, Rainbow’s more passionate side was barely restrained behind her growing inebriation and her tracing fingers crept more deeply beneath her girlfriend’s blouse. “We’ve got company, I’m ser- I’m serious! Stop, already!”

“But you like it!” Rainbow protested, appearing disappointed.

“When we’re alone, sillyhead. Not now!” Twilight insisted, pulling herself free of Rainbow’s grasp. “Seriously, you are… so impatient.”

“Not like Rainbow was ever shy,” Applejack remarked. Reclining near the fireplace and soaking in its warmth, the steady farmgirl used her drinking as an excuse to relax. So close to a source of heat and with a mind made heavy by alcohol, she found herself especially dozy. “Don’t you remember how you two ended up together?”

The memory burned bright, and the young princess’ embarrassment only continued to increase. “Oh gosh. Not now, have mercy.”

Pinkie Pie sat in their midst, nestled against the foot of the couch and somewhat struggling to keep up with the rather rapid-fire conversation. In her current moment, life was good; perhaps inexperienced in the realm of heavy alcohol, but she found herself contented nonetheless. “What? When was it?” she asked, the memory kept from her mind even though she had been present for the occasion. “Come on, tell me, tell me, tell meeee!”

“That cider drinking contest. You know, when…” The farmgirl paused, stifling a yawn. “When ‘Shy wanted to raise money for that animal charity- or something? And it came down to Twi and Rainbow, and the two of ‘em ended up tying before they started making out in front of everyone-”

“Oh gosh, there were so many people there,” Twilight groaned, aghast at the thought. “And they saw everything, it even made the tabloids!”

“I bought the originals,” Rainbow crowed.

The poor bookworm went pale. “You did not!”

Even Rarity, the most sober and most sensible of the group, couldn’t help but burst into laughter at the sight of the mortified neuroticist, Twilight struggling to comprehend the memory she abhorred was cherished by another. The contrast of their expressions, and the reactions that came with them, were enough to stagger the conversation for a good few minutes.

“We are never drinking this stuff- this stuff again,” Twilight declared after a time, eyeing the nearly-empty bottle with disdain. “Oh gosh, tonight has been awful.”

“Oh come on, it’s been great! We’re all just teasing ya,” Applejack protested. “Not like we need a picture to remember it, anyway.”

A softened hand lay gently across the gnarled fingers of the farmgirl, Applejack shushed into silence by the willful guidance of Fluttershy. A light drinker, the sweet spirit had done her best to stay collected and remain a voice of tranquility in the midst of their jovial madness; however, her mild inebriation had led her to a strong desire for physical affection, she staying close to the toughened blonde for most the night. “Maybe we should stop, though,” Fluttershy suggested. “I don’t think Twilight finds it very funny, so let’s not hurt her feelings.”

Applejack looked ready to protest, but another yawn put an end to her words before they began. “Whatever you say, sugar,” she acquiesced, leaning against her new companion gently. “You’re probably right, anyhow.”

“She most definitely is,” Twilight said, her voice sullen. “Thank you, Fluttershy.”

“You’re welcome, Twilight,” came the reply. “I’m sorry it’s not a happy memory for you. I’m sure it is for Rainbow Dash; she waited for you for a very long time.”

The proclamation put the princess in a flummox. “I don’t- I don’t hate the memory or anything- sorry, Dash?” Twilight stammered.

Rainbow shrugged it off, a gleam of mischief returning to her eyes. “I mean,” she drawled, “if you wanna make it up to me…”

“Goodness, if I’d known we’d get this silly, I would’ve asked for your help the moment we all arrived!” Rarity remarked, taking in her friends and watching them slip away into their own private worlds. With Rainbow and Twilight bouncing off one another, Pinkie nearly in a stupor, and Fluttershy vying for Applejack’s attentions, the idea that she could actually get them to focus was more difficult than herding cats. “My fault for waiting, I suppose.”

“You hypocrite! You and Celestia are always- wait, help with the wedding?” Twilight inquired, temporarily distracted from Rainbow’s affections by the prospect of more work. “Like –Rainbow, just a moment- what were you needing?”

“Well,” Rarity said, setting down her glass, “I was hoping that you’d all be part of the wedding, of course! I know I’ve already asked Twilight to coordinate everything, but I’d love to see you all as my bridesmaids. Would that be alright? I know it’ll be an ungodly hassle, especially when there’ll be so much to do…”

“Like we’d say no, silly!” Pinkie cried, suddenly alight with excitement and leaping to her feet. “Of course we’ll help! I’ll help the Cakes get everything ready and- and… wait, you asked us to do what?”

“Bridesmaids, Pinkie,” Applejack answered.

“Oh! Yeah, I’ll help with that, for sure! And I can talk to the Cakes about the- well, the cake!”

“Got catering yet?” Applejack asked.

Rarity knew her friend’s next words before they had yet to come, a small worm of guilt entering her brain at the prospect. “Oh, Applejack, it’ll be hard enough with everything to do. I’m sure Twilight and I can find someone who’d love to take the chance-”

A wave of her hand and the farmgirl fanned away any objection that could be made. “You’re our friend. Wherever you need us, we’ll be there.”

The seamstress could only smile, and was thankful when Fluttershy gave the drowsy blonde a squeeze about the waist. “That’s very kind of you to say, Applejack,” she said softly, turning to Rarity and adding, “We’d be glad to help however we can. You don’t have to do all of this hard work alone if you don’t want to.”

“Who’s gonna be your maid of honor, though?” Twilight asked, seeming as though she meant to say more but was silenced by a strange shiver from her girlfriend’s form.

Was it even really a question? Considering who she called her closest friend, the likelihood of an unexpected candidate wasn’t a strong one. However, when the thought of the surging crowds that would come, the paparazzi and press that would crush against them... “Well,” Rarity said, “I was hoping that, well, Fluttershy… Fluttershy, darling, would you like to be my maid of honor?”

Every eye turned to the quiet beauty, the spotlight thrust upon her and she finding it unpleasant. Every which way did Fluttershy look, avoiding the gaze of her friend as she took the time to make up her mind. More than once she glanced in Twilight’s direction, each one paired with a conflict of expression.

“I know it would be a lot to do. And you’d have to deal with so much of the public, especially for a wedding like this,” Rarity admitted; she didn’t want her friend to think that she wasn’t aware of the coming pressure. “I wouldn’t ask if I didn’t think you were more than capable of handling the duties. You know that, don’t you?”

Another glance in Twilight’s direction, then one to the sleepy-eyed blonde beside her. Fluttershy gave a sigh and said, “I know. And I really would like to…”

“That’s wonderful! I had a few ideas for dres-”

“But I can’t.”

Even Pinkie Pie, well-toasted and slipping away, was left stunned by the reply. Applejack was wide awake and staring, Twilight left glowing with admiration, and Rainbow had become strangely cold- if not rigid. Rarity wasn’t sure what she felt at the moment: disappointment seemed like an opportune candidate, but confusion was trying to have a say in the matter. Fluttershy’s decision was not what she’d expected, but for reasons she wasn’t really sure of.

“Are you sure, darling? I’m sure you’d do a marvelous job.”

“It’s not that,” Fluttershy said quickly, another glance away. “It’s- well… could you come with me for a moment, please?”

Not an explanation, but a path to one; Rarity nodded and rose to her feet, following the flowing girl towards the hallway door where they could perhaps talk privately. Just what was it that Fluttershy couldn’t say in front of the rest of them when it came to a matter that would be so public anyway?

“Don’t say-”

Fluttershy closed the door before Rarity could tell what had been said, or by whom. It was an unexpectedly forceful move, and one that kept the seamstress’ attentions upon her friend.

“Is something wrong?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “No, nothing’s wrong. I just can’t be your maid of honor.”

Was that it? “That’s perfectly alright, Fluttershy,” Rarity replied. “I’m terribly sorry if I put you on the spot in front of everyone, I wasn’t trying to make you uncomfortable.”

“You didn’t make me uncomfortable,” the sweet woman said. “And I could do it, if you really needed me to. But…”

Now they were getting to the root of the matter. “But what?”

Fluttershy was having some sort of massive internal debate, struggling with the decision to speak or to remain silent. “Well, it’s… I was asked not to say anything. But she won’t say so herself. So if she really wants to be your-”

The room to the study suddenly burst open in a crash, wood slamming against crystal as Rainbow Dash cut through their conversation and cried, “She’s lying! Don’t listen to her, I didn’t really mean it, I was just thinking!” So intent on preventing Fluttershy from spilling her secret that the inebriated athlete didn’t immediately realize that her actions had outed herself; slowly sinking in, the fear on her face could only turn to horror.

“I’ll… I’ll let you two talk,” Fluttershy murmured, passing by the now-stony Rainbow Dash and a following Twilight before returning to the fireside, closing the door behind her.

Rarity’s first instinct was shock, followed swiftly be bemusement. So this was what had prompted Rainbow to come by her home unannounced? Out of all the people who want to carry the mantle of a title and task so effeminate, the very idea that such a person would be Rainbow Dash was not at all believable. But then again, she was standing there before her; unable to speak, head bowed in embarrassment, but most certainly present.

Twilight put her hand about Rainbow’s and placed a kiss on her cheek. “It’s nothing to be feel silly about,” she said, her voice soothing and gentle. “You’re still cool. It doesn’t change that about you at all.”

“It’s- but everyone would think I’ve gone soft!” Rainbow protested, positively shrinking into herself as she spoke. “I don’t want everyone to think I’m… weak, or something.”

“Hmph. You have gone soft,” Twilight teased, “Because I asked you to be soft with me. You’re still strong, and brave- whenever you need to be.”

“And I hardly doubt that anything would ever change that,” Rarity added for good measure. A small laugh came when Rainbow’s eyes fell upon her, only to flicker away just as quickly. “Rainbow, do you really want to be my maid of honor?”

The proud woman tightened her arms about herself, clearly discomforted, but did give a small nod. “I… I know it’s dumb,” she said, “especially cause it’s me.”

“It’s not dumb,” Twilight said, more in-the-know than Rarity. “Go on; it’s OK.”

“I just… you know. Twi’s helped me, well… loosen up a little. And I thought that maybe if… if I liked how it felt to be a little pretty like you then it wouldn’t be so bad. When it was our wedding. And then maybe Twilight would think I’m worth the effort.” A small laugh came from her lips, her proud face still flush. “Kind of a stupid reason, huh? Wear a dress just to impress your girlfriend?”

But Rainbow found herself in the presence of a classic romantic, Rarity’s heart melting at her friend’s words. Perhaps silly, but any great act of the heart was likely to be. To step so far out of your comfort zone for the sake of the one you loved was not something to sneer at, or an act to belittle. “I don’t think it’s stupid at all,” Rarity said, coming over to give her friend a hug. “Rainbow Dash, that is very brave of you. You don’t have to think of yourself like that!”

“And you don’t have to do it to impress me,” Twilight added. “I’ve told you that a thousand times, I’ve always thought you’re worth the effort. You don’t think I look down on you or anything, do you?”

Rainbow was still discomforted. “But we fight,” she said. “And- and I know I drive you crazy because of stupid stuff-”

“Yes, you do,” Twilight admitted. “You’re arrogant, annoying, and way to worried about looking cool. But you’re loyal, you make me feel safe, and I love you. I don’t know if there’s anything that could make me think otherwise.”

“Cellie and I have fought more times than I can count, darling,” Rarity told her. “Don’t let all those tabloid rags make you think otherwise, we’re far from a fairytale. But just like Twilight is with you, I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

“And just so you know, I definitely think you’re pretty,” Twilight added. “And I also think you’re the coolest person ever.”

Rainbow was left surprised. “You can do that?”

Twilight could only laugh. “I’m pretty sure the two can coexist just fine, Rainbow. Come on… let your guard down.”

Shamefaced yet smiling, Rainbow’s countenance was beginning to rise yet again, strengthened by words of both wisdom and comfort. It was as good a time as any, and Rarity wanted to hear confirmation before it was too late. “Rainbow, do you really want to be my maid of honor?”

“I mean, it’s- I guess I could- umm… well- only if you think it’s OK,” Rainbow said at last, struggling to find her voice. “I know it’s a lot of work and stuff, but I don’t mind- and I’ll do whatever you need me to do, too.”

“Oh, of course you can!” Rarity proclaimed, taking her friend into a back-breaking hug and almost lifting the bashful woman off her feet. “Why didn’t you simply say so in the first place? I’m flattered that you’d put yourself out there like that for me! I’ll have to make new dresses for everyone, but you’ll look wonderful! And they’ll be extra cool, too,” she added before Rainbow could voice her worries.

Twilight grinned. “You’re gonna get her into a dress. I’ve been dating her for ages now, do you realize how hard I’ve tried to get her to do that?” The bookish princess suddenly fell into fantasy as she imagined some blissful daydream ahead, filled with the thoughts of beautiful designs about her girlfriend’s figure. “Oh man, she is gonna look so freakin’ hot.”

“Wait, hot?” Rainbow echoed.

“Yes, you! Jeez, I’ve always thought so-”

“Well, I’ll leave you both to it,” Rarity said, seeing that her presence was likely to be an inhibition to more pleasant matters. “I’ll grab my purse and be off, is that alright?”

“Uh… oh, yeah! Sure, Rarity, I’ll see you in the morning.”

She’d only just pushed open the door when her more besotted companions heard the great beauty burst into a tirade of giggles. Turning from one another, Rainbow and Twilight found Rarity struggling to hold back further laughter as she peered through the study door, glancing in and finding each new sighting all the more humorous. A quick peek in was swift to reveal why, as Fluttershy and Applejack were now resting beside the fire and deeply entangled with one another, kissing each other in a passionate, albeit somewhat drunken, frenzy.

“Whoa,” Rainbow muttered. To see her shy friend partake of anything so hot and heavy wasn’t something she’d ever expected to see, especially when the two women could hardly seem to keep their hands off of one another. Their lips met, tongues flowed freely and lavished their love upon one another, bodies pressing against each other all the more wildly with each passing moment. Whether it was alcohol that had put love to form at last or a love long hidden she couldn’t tell.

“I wondered if she’d ever say something,” Rarity said happily, eyeing the newfound couple with delight. “Goodness, I didn’t think she had it that bad.”

“You knew?”

“Oh, bits and pieces, really,” Rarity said. “Spa visits, darling. We talk about everything.”

Rainbow shrugged- and her eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when they turned back to the fireplace. “Whoa now.”

Rarity chanced another glance. “Oh my-”

Wait, not in my house!

Author's Note:

It's about damn time.

I thought I'd never be able to get this chapter off the ground. Holy hell, I finally figured this story out. It's about time I got back to it, maybe I'll be able to finish it before the sun goes out.

Keep reading, I guess. Enjoy.