• Published 20th Nov 2020
  • 523 Views, 21 Comments

The Trials of Shmarity: an Ogres and Oubliettes Story - TheMessenger



When the campaign falls completely off the rails, it’s up to Rarity to play the role of Princess Shmarity and save Spiketopia and her friends from the dastardly Squid Wizard.

  • ...
0
 21
 523

PreviousChapters Next
27. Bane of the Tradeways

27. Bane of the Tradeways

After a bit of wandering, Rarity discovered that Cowdim-La‘s structure was similar to that of the town of Horshire, with one main road running straight through the city and the buildings lined neatly against the road’s edge. There was a number of streets that branched off the main road which were also surrounded by buildings, but none of them really appeared to lead anywhere and just seemed to form oversized alleyways.

Despite the straightforward layout of Cowdim-La, Rarity‘s search as she made her way through the city was a struggle. Fighting against the disorganized crowd was hard enough, especially when most of the bodies were nearly twice her height, but with all of stall owners trying to shout over one another around her, it was a wonder that any creature could find anything. Every time she thought she heard mention of the schools of magic and tried to focus in on the source, the extolling exclamations of a kitchen knife collection or imported silverware would ring out and cause her to lose track of her sought out advert. She must have just gotten lucky with finding that melon farmer earlier or maybe the cat had simply positioned his wares in a less populated section of the town.

The crowd definitely felt denser and area noisier the deeper Rarity got into the city, and there was no question that the merchants were becoming more grand and extravagant in their advertising. She saw entire covered wagons, the kinds a pony could comfortably live in, painted with images of the products in store, and some of the shopkeepers had primitive style megaphones to escalated their shouting match with their neighbors and firecrackers to drown out their competitors’ claims and their customers’ thoughts. The shoppers themselves were almost just as rowdy, and the lack of obvious security worried Rarity as she witnessed tempers flare and fights threaten to break out over bad deals and who grabbed what first. Rather than continue following traffic to who knew where, she managed to step out of the packed street and instead headed over to the merchant stands on the side of the road. Rarity did have to buy new supplies to replace everything that had been left on the ship, so she might as well ask around for information while she made her purchases.

She bought some sturdy saddlebags for one gold coin at this stall before getting a portable bedroll from a stallion for just five silvers and a flirtatious smile. A decently sized canteen came next along with some directions to the nearest well, then some dehydrated travel mix as she fought to ignore the beautiful muslin shawls and gem encrusted earrings at the stalls next to and across from her. She bought a falafel wrap that was exchanged for a paint set that had been requested by a turquoise jeweler who then pointed her to a stall on the other side of the city’s main road that sold bags of iron fillings and bat guano where she learned of a group of young aspiring magic students who, once Rarity had gotten them an old book covered in reptilian scales that costed her ten gold coins and the settlement of whether the wife of bookseller’s new hat made her look fat, told her of a small caravan of traders that was planning a trip to the schools of magic.

By the time she found the building that the traders were rumored to be staying at, the sky above had started to turn red and the first few stars of the night could be spotted. The hot, dry day air had cooled to a chilly evening breeze that incited a shiver out of her. Many of the stalls now had lanterns set up and ready, and there was no sign of the crowd dispersing despite the growing lateness. She could appreciate a good shopping spree, but Rarity was honestly starting to feel a little overwhelmed by all the fanatic, nonstop commerce around her, and even as night approached, it didn’t look like it would be slowing down anytime soon. She stepped into the inn and discovered it to be just as packed and crazy as the streets outside, with nearly every inch of the front lobby occupied. Minotaurs, cat folk, and those Saddle Arabian style ponies mingled tightly around tables and against the dull dirty tan walls and even on the stairs leading to the next floor of the building, laughing and shouting while they drank and ate roasted vegetables and mushrooms off of sticks. With that huge mob in her way, she could barely make out the serving counter in the the room’s center, surrounding a large square column.

After some maneuvering, Rarity managed to squeeze through the room and make her way before the center countertop only to discover the extra challenge of flagging down a busy server working on the other side of a counter meant for creatures larger than herself. Her smaller frame made it difficult for her to be seen, and as she reached up and waved and tried to shout over all the other patrons, Rarity felt like a foal again, struggling to get the attention of grownups. Her efforts were eventually noticed by a haggard lady minotaur wearing a dirty apron and a red bandanna around her forehead that matched her pink hide. She carried a massive mug almost the size of Rarity’s head in each of her hand.

“What is it, kid?” The minotaur’s voice was surprisingly deep, almost as masculine as the males of her race. “You lose your mommy and poppy or something?”

Now Rarity was really feeling like a child. “No,” she replied, not even attempting to hide her irritation, “and I haven’t needed their accompaniment in my travels for quite some years now.”

“Oh? Oh! You‘re a, ah, one of them, uh.”

“A pony, yes.”

“Right, right. Pony. One second.” The server slid the mugs down the length of the counter and into the waiting hands of a minotaur customer. “So, what‘ll it be? Got some nice fruit juices and smoothies, freshly squeezed. There’s some coconut water too, if you’re saving your shekels for something or ended up blowing your budget on the bazaar already. Gonna have to wait on the kebabs for a bit, though, maybe five or so minutes,” the server added with a motion toward the column behind her. Her attention having been drawn to it, Rarity could just spot the bright red glow of a grill. It did feel much warmer here, and Rarity noticed that the server’s bandanna was wet with sweat. “Oh, and we‘re out of rooms for the night, if in case you were looking for lodging. For the whole week, really. If you can find room on the floor, you’re welcome to stay, but I can’t even guarantee that.”

“Ah.” It was disappointing to learn, Rarity had hoped to find a place to stay the night when she learned that this place was an inn, preferably one with an actual mattress after sleeping in a hammock for so long, but that had only been a potential bonus, not a reason, for her being here. “Well, that’s alright. I’m actually just looking for someone who is staying here. A caravan owner heading to the schools of magic. Would you happen to know where he is right now? Oh, and what’s on the kebab and how much for one?”

“Kebabs are roasted green, red, and banana peppers, pineapple, mushroom, and onion, all seasoned with herbs. One for a shekel.”

Rarity pulled out a couple of silver coins and placed them on the counter above. “Will this enough?” she asked and watched as the minotaur barmaid picked up the coins and weighed them in her palm.

“Let’s throw in some coconut water while we’re at it.” The minotaur grabbed a cup from behind the counter and brought it to the spout of a large keg behind her. “Here you are,” she said, placing the large, heavy cup into Rarity’s extended hooves. “Enjoy. I’ll call you over once your kebab’s ready. You’ve got a name?”

Rarity took a second before deciding that it was probably safer if she just used her real name. She didn’t think the name Shmarity would mean much here, outside of the princess’s kingdom, but who could say for sure? Besides, she missed going by her true moniker, and it was amazing what difference a single syllable made.

“Rarity. And the caravan owner?”

“Hm? Oh, right. The one headed to the schools of magic, right? You know his name? What he looks like? Race?”

Rarity shook her head. “Just that he supposedly has a room here, I’m afraid.”

The minotaur shrugged. “Can’t really help you then. We can check the guestbook when there’s time and see if there’s anything in there, but we’re kinda busy at the moment. Maybe ask around or something.”

“Alright then. Thank you,” Rarity started to say, but the barmaid had already disappeared to serve another patron, leaving her to find the cleanest section of floor to sit on, and with her back against the counter, she awkwardly attempted to drink from a cup that required both her hooves to hold. She had only managed to get a few sips in when there was a tap on her hind leg. The sudden contact surprised her, and her grip around her beverage loosened, causing the cup to fall and splash cool coconut water all over herself.

“Oh, oh dear. I am so sorry. I did not mean, I was just, oh no.”

The speaker was a mare in a multicolored scarf large enough to cover her neck along with much of her sky blue forehead. Strands of burgundy mane hair could be spotted peeking out from underneath the scarf. She continued to pile Rarity with apologies even as she pulled a handkerchief and gave it to Rarity to dry her face with. “It’s fine,” Rarity tried to assured her with a forced smile. “Really, it’s quite alright. I understand, it’s crowded, it’s noisy, that might not have been the best place for me to have been sitting. Accidents happen. Just, try to take more care.”

“You think I, oh! No, no. You were not in the way at all. I was just, I was trying to get your attention, but I was not sure what I should say or if you could even hear me and I did not want to appear rude or offensive or scare you away.”

A nervous giggle escaped the mare which did nothing to relieve Rarity’s growing suspicion toward her. “I’m sorry, I’m not entirely sure I’m following you. You, wanted my attention to? To talk? Or?” Rarity prompted with a gesture.

“Yes, talk! I, I am sorry, I just—“ The scarfed mare took a deep breath. “I could not help but overhear your conversation with that server. You are looking for a certain caravan, the one going to the schools of magic, correct?”

Slowly, Rarity nodded, and at Rarity’s silent, cautious response, the mare beamed. “Wonderful. I-I should have introduce myself first. I am called Alharir.” She bowed her head toward Rarity. ”My husband, Tariq, and I, I believe we were part of this trade caravan you are searching for. I can take you to our table to discuss matters further, if you would like. Only, ah.” Alharir’s smile faltered and fell to almost a frown. “I have gotten ahead of myself. Forgive me for asking so late, but I must know, what business do you have with us?”

Rarity considered the mare standing over her carefully. The mannerisms in her speech and body language were odd, maybe even suspect, but the emotions behind them, from her initial nervousness to her sudden excitement over Rarity’s simple nod to this current uncertainty as she waited for Rarity’s answer, all felt sincere. Still, Rarity hesitated before she finally said, “I’m on a trip to the schools of magic. I heard that your company was headed there as well and figured it would be safer to travel with a larger group.”

It wasn’t the entire truth, but this mare she had just met didn’t need to know that Rarity had no idea how to get to the schools to begin with. In any case, her answer seemed to please Alharir as her smile returned brighter than ever.

“Wonderful,” she said with an obvious sigh of relief. “That, that is absolutely wonderful.”

Rarity’s brow rose. “It, is?”

“Oh yes,” Alharir replied, her scarf starting to unravel as she nodded eagerly. “We, our caravan, we are not exactly open for business at the moment. It is, well, it is a bit of a long tale. Please, come with me, and my husband and I will explain our situation more fully.”

The mare motioned to follow her through the crowded room, and after a short second of deliberation, Rarity got up and did exactly that. Even with Alharir and her greater size leading the way, it still took them a good minute or so to get away from the center bar and reach the table near the inn’s corner. There sat a salmon colored stallion, his puffy cloth headdress crooked as he held his head in between his hooves. He wore a deep frown, and his brow was furrowed as he studied a large sheet of parchment that was stretched before him, its corners held down by one of those mugs, a knife, and a pocket notebook. He failed to notice Alharir and Rarity until they had gotten right up to the table, and when he did finally raise his head and glance up, his eyes didn’t seem to register Rarity’s presence.

“So did you get anything to eat?” the stallion asked, his tired tone making it all the more difficult to hear him over the rest of the noisy inn.

Alharir tapped her forehead and rolled her eyes. “No, I forgot. I was distracted.”

The stallion blinked. “You were, distracted?”

“Yes.” Alharir set a hoof on Rarity’s shoulder and drew the stallion’s attention to her. “This mare, she was looking for our company in the hopes of joining us on our way to the schools of magic.”

The stallion stared down at Rarity. His face was largely unreadable, and his lack of reaction stood in stark contrast when compared to Alharir’s enthusiasm. “Is that right?”

“It is,” Rarity said a little more tersely than she wanted. “As I’ve told your partner, I was on my way to the schools when I heard of your caravan. I understand that there are, issues at the moment. Would it still be possible for me to travel with your group?”

“But of course!” Alharir answered excitedly. “Now that you are here with us, we can continue on our journey. Is that not wonderful, dear?” Her radiant smile faded slightly as the silence from the stallion stretched on. “Dear, is something wrong? I thought you would be happier about this.”

“Hm?” The stallion shook himself and put on what might have the fakest smile Rarity had ever seen. “Oh, no. It is nothing. Just, tired is all.” He picked up the mug and held it toward Alharir. “Would you mind getting me a refill while I become acquainted with...” He turned to Rarity.

“Rarity.”

“Madam Rarity,” he addressed with a bow of his head before returning to Alharir. “And could you see about getting us some of those kebabs while you are there?”

“Of course.” With a nod to the stallion and to Rarity, Alharir turned around and reentered the crowd. When she was gone, the stallion gestured to the space at the table directly in front of him.

“Please,” he said to Rarity. “Have a seat.”

She did so at first out of politeness, but the table was too tall for her, and she could barely see Alharir’s husband over its edge. She opted to stand instead, giving herself a better view of the stallion and the parchment on the table which turned out to be a map. It was highly detailed, with elaborate pictures of cities and landmarks like deserts and oases and mountains drawn out and clear next to their names.

The stallion cleared his throat and straightened his headdress. “I am call Tariq, and I see you already know my wife, Alharir. And you, like us, are trying to get to those famed schools of the magus.”

“Is this an issue?” Rarity inquired, the suspicion she had felt earlier returning. “I can’t help but agree with your partner. You don’t exactly seem pleased by this.”

Tariq opened his mouth, then closed it and sat back. “How much has Alharir told you about us?”

“Very little. She mentioned there being something of a long story and brought me here to better explain the details.”

“Ah. Then I should explain.” Tariq rubbed his hooves together and leaned forward. “Alharir and I are part of a collaborative company of traveling merchants. We were planning to go to the schools of magic, make a bit of business there, and get back to this region in time for the free market bazaar, but the out of season sandstorms and news of a rise in slaver raids delayed us severely. Our company arrived here in Cowdim-La far too late, and the bazaar had begun before we could acquire the magic items we had hoped to sell there.” He sighed and shook his head. “The caravan decided to split up, and everyone went to do their own thing. Some are cutting their losses and have decided to just go back home, others are trying to set up shop here and make what money they can. Alharir and I were lucky to even get a room here.”

“Then, you won’t be making the trip?” Rarity said, her words quiet with disappointment as her heart became heavy. Too quiet in fact, and she had to repeat herself so that Tariq could hear her over the guffaws of the patrons at the table beside theirs.

Tariq shrugged and made a face that was something like a reluctant or thoughtful wince. “Well, we are still trying to get to the schools, Alharir and I that is. You see, we have another reason for this trip, a personal reason. Our daughter, you see, our only child, is an apprentice studying at the school of transmutation, and we were hoping to celebrate her coming of age together while we were up there. We miss the date, unfortunately, but it would still be nice to see our dear Aibnatu regardless. It has been some years since we have seen each other face to face.” The merchant looked wistful for a moment before shaking himself out of it. “Er, anyways, as I was saying, we are still planning on going, and you are welcome to join us when we do set out if you so like—“

A plate of still steaming vegetables on sticks slid to the center of the table. They both looked to find that Alharir had returned. She placed a cup in front of Rarity. “For the drink that I split. I also picked your order up for you,” she added, pointing to the plate before helping herself to her own kebab. Tariq joined her shortly after, and Rarity, supposing that now was as good a time for a break as any other, took a sip from her new cup. She discovered that it contained not coconut water but a smooth, sweet, and tangy blend of mangoes and various citruses that went well with the bitter smokey taste of the charred veggies.

“So is everything explained?” Alharir asked after they had all swallowed a few bites. “Was there anything you do not quite understand, Madam Rarity?”

“Well, no. I don’t believe so. Tariq relayed everything to me quite clearly,” said Rarity. “He told me about what happened to your company, he talked about your daughter and your reasons for going to the schools, and if I’m not mistaken, he was just saying that I am welcome to come with you on your journey there.”

“And, you will, will you not?” Alharir asked, her smile wavering as she leaned forward in anticipation.

“I would be more than happy to,” Rarity replied. “And thank you, for having me.”

“Oh, no! We must be thanking you for joining us,” Alharir said as she grabbed hold of Rarity’s hoof and shook it vigorously. “It is probably too late to leave tonight, but will tomorrow be alright for you? We wish to go as soon as possible. That will not be a problem, will it?”

“I was not finished, dear,” Tariq suddenly interjected before Rarity could assure that tomorrow was perfectly fine with her. He gave Alharir a tired, frustrated look before returning his gaze to the smaller of the two mares. “You should know, I am not completely comfortable about us leaving at this time.”

Alharir shot her own glare at her husband. “You promised, Tariq. You promised, you said, if we could find one other creature to join us, we would leave immediately.”

“We need another bodyguard, not just another body,” Tariq grumbled. To Rarity, he said, “The journey through the Anauhock Desert to get to the schools can be a perilous one. There are bandits, sandstorms, monsters. We were not so worried when we were part of a large caravan, but now?” He shook his head. “I am of the mind that we should wait for the free market bazaar to finish. Right now every creature is too busy enjoying themselves, but once the celebrations are wrapped up, perhaps then we could find more creatures willing to travel with us or at the very least be able to hire a proper armed escort. Either that or we should just head home and start saving up for a new trip in the future.”

“And I am of the mind that it has been too long since we had last seen the face of our precious Aibnatu,” Alharir snapped. “We have missed so much of her life already. I cannot accept any further delays. You said we needed a group of five. We have the interest of those two mercenaries already, and, well.” She jabbed a hoof in Rarity’s direction. “There is your fifth.”

“Five minimum,” Tariq said as he placed his hoof onto his forehead. “And look at her.” He also pointed at Rarity. “She is no warrior, no adventurer. If we were to be attacked, what do you suppose would happen? I miss our daughter as much as you, but we must be reasonable.”

“Your caution is maddening,” Alharir huffed, folding her forelegs across her chest. “When did I marry such a coward? What happened to the stallion who fought off all those raiders time and time again? Or is that blade you keep in the carriage now just for show?”

Tariq sighed and wearily turned to Rarity. “I meant no offense to your appearance, Madam Rarity,” he said, “but surely you understand my position? Please, help me talk some sense into my wife. Surely, our journey can afford to wait a week if it means improving our safety.”

“Wait, I’m sorry,” Rarity said, holding up a hoof. “Did you say, a week? As in, we wouldn’t be leaving for the schools of magic for another seven whole days?”

Alharir snorted. “Seven days is being optimistic. That is just how much time is still left of the bazaar. Who knows how long the clean up after will take or if we would be able to find anyone to travel with during that time.”

Rarity frowned. She could understand Tariq’s worries, and his plan to wait for a less busy time did make sense. A larger group would certainly have more security, safety in numbers and all that, and yet, Rarity was finding Alharir’s impatience more relatable than Tariq’s calls for prudence. She had already spent three mind-numbing weeks at sea in preparation for this journey, she wasn’t sure she could stand waiting for one more to pass, even with all the stalls and shops around for her to explore. It would mean another week away from home, from her responsibilities, and from her friends and family as well as another postponement in the rescue of Spike and Discord, and no amount of shopping was going to be enough to make any of that go away.

Alharir and Tariq were staring at her expectantly, waiting for her to speak. Rarity first turned to the mare, then to the stallion. “Well, you did promise her if you found a fifth,” she said with a slightly rueful, somewhat apologetic grin.

It took the two horses before Rarity a short moment to understand what she had just said, and when they had finished registering the implications of her words, their faces could not have look more different. Tariq’s eyes grew wide and his mouth fell open with evident shock as Alharir let out a loud triumphant laugh, her face split by the massive smile she had put on. She took Rarity’s hoof again and caused Rarity’s entire body shake with each forceful thanks.

Alharir eventually released Rarity and left her to massage her leg until it could feel again. Tariq, meanwhile, appeared to have gotten over his initial shock and now wore an expression of annoyance. He sighed, and with his lips pressed tightly together, he shook his head. “Please, do not encourage my wife and her recklessness. I ask that you rethink this carefully,” he pleaded to Rarity. “If we are to leave as we are now, we cannot guarantee your safety.”

“I understand that,” Rarity said, “but I must get to the schools of magic, and I don’t know if I myself can afford any more delays.” She gave Alharir a sympathetic nod before turning back to Tariq and continuing. “Rest assured, I am no stranger to danger, and despite what you may think of my appearance and stature, I can take care of myself.”

Tariq continued to frown as he looked over Rarity, taking the time to perform a slightly more thorough appraisal. “I do not know about this,” he said, clearly still unimpressed.

“Then you are welcome to stay here by yourself,” Alharir suddenly exclaimed, slamming her hooves against the table hard enough to briefly garner the attention of some of the other customers. “I will take Madam Rarity and those two mercenaries, and we will set off for the schools of magic tomorrow, with or without you.” The glare she shot Tariq was sharper than any sword, and Rarity found the resolve behind Alharir’s declaration frightening. “Do not test me, dear husband of mine.”

Tariq groaned at the presented ultimatum. “Alright, alright. There is no need for that sort of talk.” He turned to Rarity as if to place blame on her for this development, but he lacked the energy to hold the glare, and it swiftly withered away with an exhausted sigh. ”Well, at the very least, it will be good to have another set of eyes to keep watch. I will have to speak with the other two and let them know. If they are still interested, we will leave tomorrow, early evening.”

“Evening?” Rarity questioned. When Alharir didn’t protest but rather simply gave a content nod in agreement, she turned to the mare and gave her a quizzing look. “Are there still things we need to get done first?”

“No, not particularly,” Alharir said. “We already have all the supplies, rations, water, the like, but if there is anything you think we would need or you would like to buy before we leave Cowdim-La, I suppose then would be your chance.”

“The days will be too hot to travel for long periods of time,” Tariq explained, correctly interpreting Rarity’s confusion. “It is best if we move when the sun is down, when it is cooler, and rest when the sun is up.”

“Ah.” Made sense. Rarity’s trek here and the overwhelming heat that had beamed down on her during the entire way was still fresh on her mind. “I see. Will we be meeting outside of the city, or?”

Alharir and Tariq looked to each other. “Let us all meet here at the start of sunset,” Tariq eventually said. “We will set off then. Until then, rest up and put to rest any unfinished business you may still have here. Now, if you will pardon me.” The stallion got up, and to Rarity he bowed as he stowed away the map, the knife, and the notebook. “I must attend to and secure our wagon before I retire for the evening. Good night.”

Rarity returned the salutation with a bid of good night of her own before Tariq left the table to be shared by the two remaining mares. Alharir watched her spouse disappear into the crowd and sighed. “Tariq, he is a good stallion. Please, Madam Rarity, do not think less of him because of how he has acted. Or myself, for that matter.” She lowered her head embarrassed. “I am sorry for my outburst. I am usually not that dramatic, I promise you so.”

“It’s quite alright,” Rarity said. “Really, there’s no need to apologize. After all, it was your passion that changed your husband’s mind. As for your husband, I do understand his point. To be honest, I might have taken the same position had I been in his horseshoes.”

“I, I am sorry? His horse, shoes?”

“Oh. It’s a saying in Eque—, er, Spiketopia. It means to put yourself in the place of another and see the situation from their point of view to better understand their side. And I can understand wanting to ensure the safety of my loved ones”

“Ah. Yes, I understand now.” Alharir nodded and smiled. “Yes, Tariq, he is a very caring stallion, always has been, since the day we first met...”

The two swapped stories, Alharir and her tales about meeting a dashing young guard who had saved her purse from a thief and the grandiose and often disastrous gestures he’d make in an attempt to woo her while Rarity carefully picked and chose Princess Shamarity’s memories of life in Spiketopia to share along with some selective recaps of her time in Horshire and Baldursgait with just enough detail to keep her sole audience member entertained. Occasionally, as the night continued, Rarity’s guard would fall, and she would make small mentions of her life in Equestria, about her occupation as a seamstress, about her younger sister and the mischief she and her friends would get in, about a shy pegasus who could talk to animals and a merry mare who could find fun in just about anything. About a hard working and reliable farmer, a fast flying daredevil with an incredible competitive streak, a studious and some times awkward mare who had brought them all together.

About a young dragon and all the time he would devote to helping her. Rarity had trouble convincing Alharir of that last one.

Time marched on, and some hours later, Alharir excused herself from the table with a yawn, leaving Rarity to finish her drink and her cold kebab. After that and with there being nowhere else to go and little else to do, Rarity found herself some clean space on the floor, rolled out her brand new bedding, and joined the other room-less inn patrons. The floor’s hard surface and the cramped conditions that came from having so many strangers in one place, some of whom were loud snorers or were in desperate need of a bath, made it difficult to relax, but eventually, as the lights dimmed and the servers finished cleaning the bar, Rarity, with one hoof draped protectively over her belongings, drifted off to sleep.

PreviousChapters Next