• Published 4th Nov 2020
  • 7,348 Views, 175 Comments

Portrait of a Kirin - Admiral Biscuit



Living with a Kirin is actually not that weird.

  • ...
9
 175
 7,348

Chapter 1

Portrait of a Kirin
Admiral Biscuit

She always arranged her pillows before getting into bed.

She’d levitate them up in her magic, examine them, maybe poke them with a hoof, and either stack them in a pillow pile or reject them, until she finally achieved pillow perfection.

•••

There was a lot I didn’t know about her. For one, we didn’t speak the same language.

She was good at pantomime, good enough that I could always figure out what she was ‘saying.’

And despite the language barrier, she liked to talk. When she pantomimed, she’d talk, too, even though she knew I couldn’t understand a word she was saying. Sometimes she’d sing—it was almost like she just liked hearing her own voice, like she feared if she fell silent it might last forever.

She’d listen to me, too, when I talked. One or both ears would cock in my direction—depending on what else she was focusing on—and would stay laser-focused as long as I was speaking.

•••

I’d thought that hooves would be a detriment, but besides her magic, her hooves were cloven, able to pick up things she could squeeze on. Some of her own things, built for ponies; that didn’t surprise me. Other things, built by humans for humans, she could interact with those, too. I tried myself, tried instead of gripping the normal way spreading my fingers in a weird Vulcan pose and discovered I could pick things up, too. Not as efficiently as with a proper hand-grip, but well enough.

•••

Sometimes she wanted the couch to herself, other times she’d tap the cushions impatiently, a signal I ought to be sitting there. As often as not, once I’d taken my seat she’d put her head on my lap or stretch out along my leg, demanding mane-pets and ear-scritches I was only too happy to provide.

Other times, I’d be lazing on the couch after a day that didn’t bear thinking about, the TV turned to something mindless and stupid, and without an invitation she’d climb up and nuzzle me, snuggle up against me.

She was always soft and warm and comforting. The scales on her back were weird if I stroked them the wrong way, and she didn’t like that either, hissing at me.

•••

There are still cultural misunderstandings, but on the important levels I think we understand each other more often than not.

•••

Every morning I make my bed with nearly military-precision—a quarter wouldn’t bounce off it, but I wouldn’t be embarrassed if Better Homes and Gardens showed up with a photography crew. Cinder Glow’s bed is chaos until her ritual nightly pillow-sorting, and while the contrast annoyed me at first, it doesn't any more. I tried to think of ways to pantomime the importance of a properly-made bed, and failed. And by the time I’d resigned myself to the knowledge that I couldn’t explain it, it didn’t bother me enough to try and overcome our language barrier.

•••

Some of our differences are complementary. I like to shower in the morning; she prefers waiting until the evening and that prevents bathroom conflicts.

Plus, it’s another opportunity to unwind. She can hold a brush in a hoof, or with her magic, but she often wants me to groom her. I’d heard that ponies were more touchy than humans but hadn’t mentally prepared myself for it, not completely, not enough that I was expecting the first time that she sat down in front of me, dropped the hairbrush she’d been holding in her mouth, and made grooming motions with a hoof.

I couldn’t turn her down. I couldn’t let her down, so I picked up the brush and went to work and she’d occasionally grimace as I hit a snag until I got the art down and now it was a routine evening task and that didn’t bother me a bit.

And she wasn't one to just take; in the mornings she was ready with brush in hoof.

I wanted to tell her that I could do it myself but I didn’t know how and I didn’t want to hurt her feelings and it wasn’t that long before it was a usual morning thing.

•••

Cinder Glow doesn’t care that much what the TV’s turned to. She never pays it that much attention anyways, and that’s good for me. As long as people are talking on it, she’s happy.

Sometimes, I’ll find it tuned to the shopping channel or some long infomercial and on rare occasions she’s actually watching it, but mostly it’s just background noise for her. I can change the channel with no frustrated hoof-stomp, no head-shake, just a flicker of ears in my direction.

Sometimes, I just leave it on whatever she set it on, and don’t sit on the couch and rot my brain with too much TV.

•••

She stacked up her pillows just so, leaving two this time on the reject pile. Too soft? Too hard? I didn’t know. Her pillowcases were a mismatch and if I were a proper anthropologist I might have been keeping track of which ones she liked and which ones she didn’t on any given night, but I wasn't and I didn’t.

Cinder Glow tapped a hoof on the bed, and at first I didn’t figure it out but she did it again, more insistently, and I obediently got up off the couch, clicking the power button on the remote.

Hoof taps and pantomime made it clear that I was to lie where she’d indicated.

She stretched a foreleg across my chest and offered me one of her hard-won pillows; it had been a good choice. Not too firm.

She nestled against me, and I touched her head and ran my fingers through her mane, the same mane I’d recently spent time on. It was still tangle-free.

I knew where she liked to be scratched behind the ears and my hand was close already.

•••

Morning.

I like making coffee; the smell helps wake me up. And a shower, as well. Make the bed—a bit of routine to start out the day.

Cinder Glow’s still draped across my chest.

Morning can wait.

Author's Note:

Blog post’ll be along when it is. Until then, keep on keeping on. :heart:

Edit: Blog post is along :heart:

Comments ( 175 )

Maybe this is what we need for election night . . .

10514805
Yes. Yes, it was.

Pones being adorable cats is best

Warm and fuzzy. Minor typo on the story summary, "snuggling in universal" should probably be is.

i hate to be a spoilsport but I would love to see the main characters reaction to Cinder Glow’s getting mad and using her nirik form

Georg #6 · Nov 4th, 2020 · · ·

10514805 Not only yes, but (censored) yes.

And she wasn't one to just take; in the mornings she was ready with brush in hoof.

Well, she has to keep her human groomed properly.

10514805 Yes indeed. Thanks very much for the snuggle-kirin.

pillow pile or reject tham

them

This was lovely and thank you for it.

Nice one, i like it.:twilightsmile: Have an upvote!

Would be interesting to see Cinder's perspective.

This was adorable, just what the doc ordered.

Thanks, Admiral! :pinkiehappy:

Sometimes she wanted the couch to herself, other times she’d tap the cushions impatiently, a signal I ought to be sitting there. As often as not, once I’d taken my seat she’d put her head on my lap or stretch out along my leg, demanding mane-pets and ear-scritches I was only too happy to provide.

There are sometimes speculations Kirins are related to cats.
Others claim this would apply to even all four-legged Equestrians.

She stacked up her pillows just so, leaving two this time on the reject pile. Too soft? Too hard? I didn’t know.

Kirin: "You wouldn't understand it, hooman."


Nice story!
I enjoyed reading it.

Silly, floofy dragon-deer-horses are exactly what we needed in these trying times. Thank you for this.

D'aww~ This was adorable. And I really love the name you picked for her!

10515137
The entire world would be much better if the Kirin and Ponies coexisted with us.

Interesting that you chose to make the language barrier as a source of "conflict" in the story, when in the majority of PoE stories language is not an issue. I can't help but draw parallels to the "white guy brings home Asian mail-order-bride that speaks very little English" trope. Though that probably wasn't your intention, and this is perfectly wholesome. You know, I take that back. After rereading this, Cinder Glow seems more of like an affectionate pet or friend, rather than a romantic partner. Still perfectly wholesome.

I like the vignette style of little "snapshot" moments.

10515032
Would be hilarious if her thoughts on the matter could be summed up by "How to Train Your Monkey."

I wanna pet it! :rainbowkiss:

And you picked my favorite kirin too. :twilightsmile:

Cute story. World needs more kirinfuzz.

The world could be on fire and I wouldn't care as long as I have Kirin fluff.

Such sweetness, adorableness, and superb writing, all in one story, makes for this story being such a treat to read! Ya really can't help but smile when ya read through this, and I love that! I hope ya didn't mind, but I made a 'lil reading of this super sweet fic!

Audio Linkyloo!: https://youtu.be/hF7u-zKBrMk

(I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment in any way!)

10514860

I once knew a cat who'd happily lick your hair if you let it.

Weird sensation, but once you got used to it, it was kinda nice. The purring was a good bonus, too.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Aw. Lovely little slice of life with Kirin. I want one...

This is so sweet! The Kirin are my favorites species in all of Mlp!

This was positively lovely, and much needed on a very stressful day. Thanks a lot, Biscuit,

This was adorable. But, there were a few things that were confusing.

10514857

Before or after she sets everything around her on fire because houses/furniture/people tend to be flammable things to one degree or another. If she's gonna throw a tantrum, at least do it in the fireplace or outside in the fire pit. :rainbowlaugh:

10515897
actually a tantrum in the fireplace sounds kinda cute (am I weird?)

Well this is a cute little story.

The wonderful thing about kirin is kirin are wonderful things that you can have a lot of fun baking together:
derpicdn.net/img/view/2020/7/13/2397903.png

derpicdn.net/img/view/2020/7/20/2403590.png

Thanks for the story Admiral. This was a welcome fluffy spot of warmth after all the overtime at the post-office and all the nasty threats that have been coming in

10514816
Yes, it is. That’s an actual fact.

10514823

Warm and fuzzy.

:heart:
Describes kirin to a T.

Minor typo on the story summary, "snuggling in universal" should probably be is.

Correction made; thank you :heart:

10514857

i hate to be a spoilsport but I would love to see the main characters reaction to Cinder Glow’s getting mad and using her nirik form

“arson is adorable” is a sentence you’ve never heard until now.

You know I’m right. :heart:

10514860

Not only yes, but (censored) yes.

No matter what our divides, cute ponies doing cute things is always the right choice.

Well, she has to keep her human groomed properly.

Exactly! Cinder Glow is a very giving pony.

10514904

them

Correction made; thank you!

This was lovely and thank you for it.

You’re welcome :heart:

10515032

Would be interesting to see Cinder's perspective.

Yeah, it would . . . hmm. . . .

It would be a different story, that’s for sure. But not in a bad way.

10515105

This was adorable, just what the doc ordered.

Thanks, Admiral! :pinkiehappy:

It’s what we all need for today, I think. :heart:

10515136

There are sometimes speculations Kirins are related to cats.
Others claim this would apply to even all four-legged Equestrians.

AFAIK this is settled canon--they are.

Kirin: "You wouldn't understand it, hooman."

“I got a degree in pillow engineering.”

Nice story!
I enjoyed reading it.

Thank you! :heart:

10515137

Silly, floofy dragon-deer-horses are exactly what we needed in these trying times. Thank you for this.

They are, and there’s no denying it.

Depending on how things go, we might need another such fic to keep our spirits up; if that turns out to be the case, I’ll be at my keyboard. :heart:

10515169
Thank you! :heart:

I can’t take credit for the name; that’s semi-canon or actual canon (I’m not sure). If nothing else, that’s what she’s tagged as on Derpi.

10515175

The entire world would be much better if the Kirin and Ponies coexisted with us.

I don’t disagree. :heart:

10515211

Interesting that you chose to make the language barrier as a source of "conflict" in the story, when in the majority of PoE stories language is not an issue. I can't help but draw parallels to the "white guy brings home Asian mail-order-bride that speaks very little English" trope. Though that probably wasn't your intention, and this is perfectly wholesome. You know, I take that back. After rereading this, Cinder Glow seems more of like an affectionate pet or friend, rather than a romantic partner. Still perfectly wholesome.

I get where you’re coming with that vibe, especially since one of our customers rolls that way, and that wasn’t my intention--your second reading is more on the mark.

Nevertheless, for anyone’s benefit who reads this comment, I’ll say on the record that once I release a story into the wild--once any author does--the interpretation is up to the readers; they each put their unique spin on it, and I honestly don’t know if it’s my place to explain what was in my head when I wrote it.

I like the vignette style of little "snapshot" moments.

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if that would work with readers, but it was how it came to me, so it was what I went with.

10515338

Would be hilarious if her thoughts on the matter could be summed up by "How to Train Your Monkey."

She gets ear-scritches and mane-brushings, so . . . .

Login or register to comment