• Published 1st Nov 2020
  • 725 Views, 78 Comments

Mare Do Well: Rebirth - MagnetBolt



It's been years since Mare Do Well was last seen. Equestria has changed since then, and what should have been quiet retirement ends when a new threat comes to life in the city of Seasaddle. Is Mare Do Well up to the task, or is she outdated?

  • ...
3
 78
 725

A Gem Set In Steel, Part 1

“You know, I’m not usually the pony to say this, but isn’t this a job for the police?” Loopy tossed the paper back onto the folding table they’d set up in the subway lair.

“Okay, technically you’re right,” Lyra admitted. “The police could provide security. But this is a great opportunity!”

“It’s a stalker making vague threats,” Loopy said. “Bon-Bon, tell her this isn’t a good idea.”

“I tried that, but she made a really good point,” Bon-Bon said. “You need to make connections in the city, and Jasmine Jewel is a great place to start.”

“Also she’s my favorite musician,” Lyra said. “And Bon-Bon owes me a favor so I begged her to take the case.”

“At least you admit to it,” Loopy sighed. “I just don’t see what we can do that the police can’t. It’s a stalker. They’ve got the note, right? Can’t they just track him down, put him in protective custody, ask him questions, whatever? I don’t actually know what the right procedure is for this kind of thing.”

“Normally they’d track the pony down and bring them in to let them know it wasn’t acceptable behavior and evaluate the threat,” Bon-Bon said. “But when I looked into things, it turns out the Seasaddle PD already tried.”

Loopy tilted her head. “The way you say tried makes me think it ends in ‘and failed.’”

“The suspect, one Mister Brass Mainspring.” Bon-Bon picked a photo out of the folder. “He’s a known troublemaker. He sends letters to all the local papers with crazy conspiracy theories. And I mean, really crazy. Like he thinks digital clocks were created specifically so the Princess can alter the length of the day secretly whenever she wants without ponies having the objective evidence of purely mechanical mechanisms.”

“Sounds like a real gentleman,” Loopy snorted.

“His apartment was empty except for copies of his manifesto and the police weren’t able to make contact for a wellness check. He’s really more of a victim than anything else. When Discord was released the first time, Brass Mainspring had a mental break from what was done to him.”

“Poor guy,” Lyra sighed. “Discord isn’t that bad, but if you’re obsessive-compulsive already, even a little chaos is too much.”

“So where do we start?” Loopy asked. “If we’re doing this I hope you’ve got a good plan.”

“It’s a plan only you can pull off,” Lyra said, grinning.


“It’s like looking into a mirror,” Jasmine Jewel said, tilting her head.

Loopy mimicked the action, wiggling her ears in the same way the pop idol did.

“It’s amazing!” Lyra gasped.

Jasmine’s manager, Big Slice, was less impressed. He had a sour look on his face like he’d bitten into a lemon that had itself bitten into his profits. “And she’s a professional? I’m not sure this is really going to work.”

“I’ve been doing this for a long time,” Loopy said. “I’ve got more acting experience than she does. No offense, Ma’am.”

“None taken,” Jasmine said.

“I promise I can fool anypony, even if they’re familiar with the real thing. If I have a few hours to get her mannerisms down, it’ll be impossible for anypony to tell.”

“Yeah, yeah, so you say,” Big Slice muttered. “But she’s got a reputation that needs to be upheld. An image! You gotta understand, idols like her, they’re all about the brand, and we spent a lot of money on her. If something happens to damage her brand, we’re out all that money and ponies will move on to the next big thing.”

“It won’t be great for her brand if a stalker kidnaps her,” Bon-Bon reminded him.

“You’d be surprised,” Big Slice said. “Sometimes that kind of tragic thing really pushes the ratings in the press.”

“But the safety of your client comes first, right?” Bon-Bon pressed.

“Well… yeah, of course,” Big Slice mumbled.

“How about we go talk about her schedule while they get to know each other?” Bon-Bon suggested. She put a hoof on Big Slice’s shoulder and started leading him away. “Lyra, come on. Stop fawning over her, she’s already got one stalker.”

“Sorry,” Lyra said, blushing. “Thank you again for the autograph, Jasmine!”

“It’s no problem,” Jasmine said. “Anything for a fan!”

Lyra rushed to catch up as Bon-Bon muscled Big Slice out of the studio. Once the door had closed behind them, Jasmine sighed.

“Sorry about him,” the idol said quietly. “He’s not usually this bad. He’s a good manager, really. He gets me a lot of jobs. Just the other day I had a really great job at a yacht party! It might not sound like much, but it was more exciting than I was expecting.”

“I know, I was there,” Loopy said.

Loopy could taste the confusion. There was an odd tinge to it she couldn’t quite identify. “You were? I don’t remember seeing you.”

“I didn’t look like this,” Loopy reminded her.

“Oh, right.” Jasmine blushed. “I almost forgot. But even if you do look just like me, you have to be perfect. You heard him talk about how important my image is. That’s more than just a pretty face. You have to be able to act like me.”

“I can do that.”

“Can you sing?” Jasmine asked.

Loopy hesitated. “I mean… a little. But it’s not like I’m going to have to sing, am I?”

“Oh boy,” Jasmine sighed. “You really weren’t told much about this, were you?”

“I know I’m replacing you for a night at some charity event,” Loopy said. “Shaking some hooves, flattering rich ponies, trying to get them to donate to… whatever the cause was.”

“It’s to increase funding to local schools and get the foals interested in jobs in technology,” Jasmine said. “It’s a good cause!”

“I’m sure,” Loopy agreed.

“But you also have to sing a small set. Just three or four songs.”

“I like this deal less and less all the time,” Loopy sighed.

“I’m guessing you aren’t really a fan?”

“I haven’t heard a whole lot yet, but I’m willing to learn. Sometimes it’s more about doing the job right.”

Jasmine snorted and looked away, darkly amused. She motioned for Loopy to follow her up onto the portable stage in the studio, taking her hoof to help her up. “You don’t have to tell me twice,” Jasmine said. “I wouldn’t blame you if you didn’t like my music, you know.”

“I get the distinct impression you don’t love it,” Loopy said.

Jasmine winked. “Don’t tell anypony. It’s not that bad. I mean, it was designed by the best… is there a word for music scientists? Because there should be. What’s really important is that ponies seem to like it. Even if there are other things I’d rather be doing, my fans are even more important to me than they are to my manager.”

“I understand,” Loopy nodded. “Believe me, I do. I know what it’s like to be somepony else just to make others love you.”

“I thought so,” Jasmine smirked. “You’re a changeling, right? It explains the perfect disguise.”

“Bingo,” Loopy winked.

“I wish I was a changeling. I could go out whenever I wanted, make friends with ponies without fame getting in the way… and I wouldn’t have to worry about my image.” Jasmine sat down, deep angst hovering over her like a cloud of static.

Loopy sat down next to her. “What would you do if you could get out of your contract and do whatever you wanted?”

“I’d go independent. Come up with my own style, maybe fall in love with a nice stallion. There are a lot of things I’d do. It’s just not in the cards for me.”

“If your manager is doing something illegal, I can help,” Loopy said. “I know the stalker and the charity ball and all that are important, but so are you. If he’s abusing you…”

She shook her head. “It’s complicated. Thank you, though. It’s very kind of you, worrying about a pony like me.”

“I worry about anypony that seems as nice as you are.”

Jasmine smiled. “Now you’re just flattering me. Now let’s go over the songs you have to learn. I better not get a reputation for lip-synching because of you!” She giggled.


“I love to hear your voice

You push the tears away

The whole world will have to learn to love

The whole world will have to learn to love…”

Loopy trailed off when the applause started behind her. She looked over her shoulder in the mirror she was practicing in front of. She’d been making sure she could keep the disguise up while singing and getting a little last-minute song practice in at the studio after Jasmine had gone off to rest and recharge.

“That’s amazing! You sound exactly like her!” Lyra ran up and pranced in front of Loopy. “This is so exciting! I’m just such a big fan, and--”

“And I’m not her, remember?” Loopy said. She could taste Lyra’s love in the air, the vague parasocial affection ponies had when they knew way too much about a stranger. “Maybe I should be protecting Jasmine from you instead of that stalker.”

Loopy shifted back to her usual disguise in a wash of lime-green fire.

Lyra pouted in disappointment. “I was just showing my appreciation. You’re really good at imitating ponies.”

“Of course I am,” Loopy said. “I’ve had more experience than most changelings. I wasn’t trained as an infiltrator, but the practical stuff is even more important.”

“You know, that reminds me… why didn’t you ever, you know? Reform? I thought Thorax convinced every changeling in Equestria to do it.”

“Every changeling he could find,” Loopy said. She shrugged dismissively.

“All you have to do is share love, right?” Lyra asked. “I mean, I’m not an expert but you don’t seem like a jerk. Couldn’t you do it anytime you want? Then you wouldn’t be hungry all the time.”

“I probably could,” Loopy admitted. “But... it’s complicated. I don’t feel like I deserve it. I don’t know. Maybe that’s why I sympathize with Jasmine.”

“Huh?”

“I get the impression she doesn’t feel like she can be her own pony. Like she owes too much to others and she’s got to make up for it first. It’s not a great feeling.”

“Are you going to be okay doing this job?” Lyra asked, quietly.

“Yeah,” Loopy said. “It’s one night. What could go wrong?”


“Jasmine, it’s so wonderful of you to come,” the stallion said. He had a firm handshake, not strong or tight, but possessive like he didn’t like letting go of anything. The stallion was at ease, which was no doubt helped by the excellent wine being served. “I don’t think we’ve met in person, but my daughter is a big fan.”

“You must be Mayor Caucus Club,” Loopy said. “I’ve seen your picture in the paper.” The mayor’s distinctive black and white streaked mane made him look ten years older despite only being Loopy’s age.

“Almost as often as yours,” the mayor winked. “I’m not quite as photogenic as you are.” He shot the reporters standing by a smile, and they snapped a few shots of us shaking hands and looking happy.

“I couldn’t say no,” Loopy said. “And I don’t mean just because of my contract.” She smiled. “It’s thanks to all the ponies here that we’re going to be able to help foals in the city’s public schools. I’m just doing my part to make sure they have the same kind of opportunities we did.”

“Hopefully, they’ll do even better,” the stallion agreed. “Half the jobs in the city now are ones that didn’t exist anywhere in Equestria back when I was a colt looking for my first after-school job. Who knows what the foals in classes today will come up with in the next twenty years?”

“I’m just hoping they’ll still need leadership and entertainment,” Loopy said, giggling the way Jasmine would have. The ponies listening in laughed along politely. A few of them even had some genuine amusement and affection. Loopy lapped it up eagerly. It was a nice treat with how much energy she was spending keeping herself in an unfamiliar shape.

She just hated how much she was enjoying stealing the love that should have belonged to another.

“Two things that don’t ever go out of style!” the Mayor agreed. “Think you can write a song about how important it is to vote in the next city election?”

Everypony had a good chuckle at the joke, and Loopy excused herself to get a drink, stepping away from the crowd.

“Any sign of the stalker?” she said, just loudly enough for the microphone in her dress to pick up on it.

“Nothing yet,” Bon-Bon said. “How’s the party? I’ve never been to the Sirius Hotel’s penthouse suite.”

Loopy held up a glass of mineral water, using the reflection to look at the crowd. “Beautiful hotel. At least it really is all for a good cause. Maybe nothing will happen tonight.”

“Let’s hope so,” Bon-Bon said. “Lyra wouldn’t mind if we got to watch over Jasmine Jewel for another week or two.”

Loopy scoffed.

“You say that like you’re hoping to be bored,” purred a voice closer to Loopy than the one over the radio. She looked away from the glass she was holding. A griffon with black, glossy feathers like a raven stepped up. “Could you pour me a glass?”

“You asked so nicely, how could I say no?” Loopy quipped, picking up a bottle. “I hope you don’t mind Harrier.”

“It’s straight from Griffonstone, so it tastes just like home. But… filtered and a little less expensive.” The griffon winked. “You look like you’re enjoying this almost as much as I am.”

“The charity dinner or your company?” Loopy asked.

“These are really all about being seen with the right ponies,” the griffon said. “A big photo op for all the ponies who don’t usually get to have their faces in the paper. At least not for anything good.”

“What about you?” Loopy asked, giving her the glass. “Here to smile for the camera?”

“I’m more interested in meeting interesting ponies,” she said. “I couldn’t help but notice you. There’s just something about the way you watch the room that makes me think you’re a cut above the rest.”

“I don’t know if you’re just trying to flatter me, seduce me, or find a way to get a nibble,” Loopy said. “Jasmine Jewel.” She offered a hoof to shake.

“You say that like I couldn’t manage all three in one night.” Unlike the mayor, the griffon had a light touch, skilled enough with her black talons not to accidentally scratch her. “I’m Gwen.”

“Obviously I’m the entertainment,” Loopy said. “So I’m somewhere between the hired help and a pretty face for the cameras. If I was a little less famous I’d be asked not to mingle with the more important ponies.”

“I feel your pain,” Gwen sighed. “I suppose I’m merely exotic eye candy. They want to make sure they’ve very inclusive and progressive, you know.”

“Maybe they should have invited some yaks. They’d liven things up.”

Gwen laughed. “Maybe when this is over we should get something a little stronger to drink? I’ve got some crystal berry wine at my place that--”

The radio in Loopy’s ear exploded with static, feedback ringing. She winced and clutched her head.

“What’s wrong?” Gwen asked.

Before Loopy could even start to come up with a decent lie to answer her with, the feedback stopped. She shook her head, trying to stop the ringing, and the sound was replaced with shattering glass and splintering wood.

“Everypony down!”

Yellow bolts of light streaked through the air above the gathered crowd, and ponies screamed and ran for imaginary cover or simply dove to the ground like the shout had ordered. As the herd parted, a predator stalked through. The stallion was scarecrow-thin, wearing a dirty tan trenchcoat and carrying a boxy weapon in one hoof.

“What is that?” Gwen asked.

“A boltcaster,” Loopy muttered. “And unless I’m badly mistaken, the pony holding it is Brass Mainspring.”

“You know him?” Gwen paused, raising an eyebrow. “Ex-boyfriend?”

“We’re not that close.”

“There you are!” Brass Mainspring shouted. He pointed at Loopy. “I see you, you so-called pony!” He stalked over with an expression like a pony who’d forgotten to take some very important medication. “You think you can fool us all! You and every one of the monsters just like you!”

Loopy couldn’t help it. She looked down at herself just in case her disguise had slipped somehow. It hadn’t.

“What?” she asked.

“You’re a tool of the secret society taking everything over!” Brass shouted. “You aren’t a pony! You’re a thing!”

“Let’s just all calm down, put down the deadly weapons, and talk,” Loopy offered. “How about we let everypony else go so we can chat one-on-one without anypony interrupting?”

“I like the idea where I get to leave,” Gwen agreed.

“No one is leaving!” Brass shouted. He pulled his coat aside to show a blinking collection of wires and wrapped bricks strapped to his chest. “One wrong move, and I’ll do what I have to do to save the city and stop you permanently!”