• Published 30th Aug 2012
  • 1,057 Views, 47 Comments

Bloodflow - Flying Wingnut



Jake Gray is a man on a mission, but he is sent to Canterlot by a twist of fate. How will he adjust?

  • ...
22
 47
 1,057

New City, Same Problems

Author's note: I'm sorry this took so long. College has been quite demanding of me and my time.

The portal was like my own personal limbo. I had no way knowing where I was going to end up. For all I knew, I could’ve ended up on another planet, or about 20 feet from the portal. Talk about a gamble. All I knew was that I was moving. Fast. To where, I had no idea, but wherever that was, I was booking it there. It gave me time to ponder my thoughts.

‘Well, this is it, I guess. This is the end. What are people supposed to think when they die? What do they feel? Well, other than immense pain, of course. Am I even going to die? Hey, maybe I won’t die. Maybe I’ll end up back on Earth, landing on the street. Man, that would be convenient!’

‘...’

‘Ah, who the hell am I kidding? I’m dead. I assume that Walter wasn’t dumb enough to send me 20 feet away, so my only chance is to end up on a distant planet, never before discovered by humanity, that has liquid water and oxygen in the atmosphere. Now, really, what are the chances of that?’

As that thought passed through my mind, I could see a light at the end of the long tunnel.

‘Wait a fucking second, am I already dead? I don’t feel dead. Then again, a bright light at the end of a long tunnel usually signifies passing on to heaven, or something like that. Actually, now that I think about it, I’d probably go to hell about 5 times over before I ever went to heaven. Yeah, there’s no way that’s heaven. Hey, maybe this means I’m nearing the end of my journey! Well, time to see what becomes of me.’

The light grew ever nearer, and I braced myself for whatever was on the other side.

‘There’s WAY too much light for this to be empty space. Oh god, am I coming out next to a star!? Oh man, this is gonna SUCK!’

The light was 100 feet away. 50 feet. 30 feet. 10 feet. 5 feet. I crashed through the light with my eyes wide open, eagerly awaiting whatever pain was on the other side.

‘C’mon, Lady Luck! Deal the deck in my favour!’

When I went through, I was, to say the least, surprised. I could see forests, mountains, and buildings. I was soaring through the sky right over a city! From what I could see, the city was built on the side of a mountain. There were no skyscrapers, but towering over the rest of the buildings was an enormous castle, with majestic ivory towers adorned with gold and purple. I wasn’t able to admire it for long, though, because I was flying towards it at alarming speed. I saw where I was going to land, which was right through a balcony door, so I twisted myself around in order for my back to go through first. The wood splintered violently and the glass turned into tiny fragments as I crashed through the door. I sailed for a fraction of a second before I hit the wall. From there, everything went black...

<==+==>

When I came to, I was lying down on what appeared to be a hospital bed. Before I opened my eyes, I could feel that my clothes from the waist-up were gone. As I opened my eyes, I could hear voices on the other side of a curtain.

“Well, princess, it appears as though...whatever that thing is…is completely fine.” The first voice was definitely male, made gruff with age, and it had an air of professionalism about it.

“What do you mean fine? Have you seen the indent on my wall? It’s almost as big as me!” The second voice was, even in its apparent confusion, almost angelic in its sound. “There’s no way it doesn’t have at least a few broken bones.”

“Well, that’s what I was thinking,” continued the first voice, “until I saw the x-rays. Aside from some nasty bruises, everything’s intact.”

At the mention of bruises, I could feel a dull pain running up and down my back. Pushing through the pain, I lifted myself off of the bed to sneak a peek at the two voices on the other side of the curtains. I tried to keep my steps as quiet as possible, making sure that I silently tip-toed over to the curtains. As I slowly parted the hung sheets, I got a good look at something that, to say the least, scared the living shit out of me. Standing before me, clear as day, were two horses. One of them was charcoal brown with a grey mane, wearing a white doctor’s outfit (somehow), and had a horn on his head. The other one was bleach white, with a sparkling, multi colored mane, a pair of large, elegant wings, and a very large horn on its head.

I slowly closed the curtains and quickly looked around for my clothes. They were neatly folded on the bedside table. I tried to put my clothes on as quietly as possible, so as to not alert them to the fact that I was awake. Slowly and silently, I slipped on my shirt, then my hoodie, and finally my balaclava.

“Well, I should probably check on the patient.”

“I’ll come too. I want to see if it’s awake yet”

“Oh shit.”

I ducked under one of the side curtains into another patient’s area and remained completely silent. I could hear the clip-clop of their hooves hitting the tiles, inching closer to my bed. I slowly made my way to the front curtain, making sure I was ready to start running for an exit. The curtain rattled as it was opened. Both of them let out an audible gasp.

“It’s gone!” the male one said

“It has to be close! Guards! Get in here!”

I took that as my cue to run. Without hesitation, I ripped open the curtain and looked for an exit. Luckily, the exit was only a few beds to the left. Unluckily, two guards were coming in through that door.

“You! Stop!” One of the guards said.

I wasn’t about to listen. I started sprinting towards them, desperate to make it past them and through the door. They immediately brandished their spears and took formation in front of it. I wasn’t about to go through them, so I went over them. I kicked off of the floor with my left foot, then kicked off the wall with my right. They didn’t expect me to go over them and their stabs completely missed. As I landed, I heard the female call out to me.

“Please, come back!”

Once again, I didn’t listen. I used the door frame as leverage and turned right. The hallway was lavishly decorated with gold and purple. As I ran, I could hear the screams and cries of what I assumed were castle staff.

“What is that thing?”

“It’s a monster!”

“Don’t kill me!”

I paid them no mind. The only thing that mattered was getting out of wherever I was. I saw a flight of stairs coming up, and prepared to turn down them. However, as I turned, I caught a glimpse of a large group of guards ascending the steps. Immediately, I changed my direction to back down the hall.

“Damnit, I need an exit! Right now!” I thought. “Where to go, where to go...” As I was nearing the end of the hallway, with what seemed like a battalion of guards and a princess, I scanned my surroundings. I saw a table with a large, white tablecloth on it, and a large window. Quickly, a shoddy, extremely risky plan formulates in my head. When I reached the table, I grabbed the cloth off of it, and took either end of it in each hand.

“Wait, is it going to...?”

“Am I really going to do this?”

“...”

“Yup, I am!”

I sprinted as fast as I could towards the window and jumped. I curled up into a ball in order to break through more efficiently. As I went through, time seemed to slow. I could see every little shard of glass flying through the air. I immediately brought the sheet above my head, hoping to catch the air and parachute my way out. To my surprise, the makeshift parachute caught the wind and opened up.

“Haha! See you later, shitlords!” I yelled back at the guards, who were crowding against the window. As I was soaring through the air, however, I felt an unusual tug on the parachute, and I stopped moving. I looked up to find that the parachute had a golden aura around it. The parachute slowly tugged me back towards the window. I was still way too high to let go without breaking my legs, so the only thing I could do was let myself get pulled back to the window. I was met by the points of many spears and the scowl of a seemingly pissed off princess.

“Uh, hello again, shitlords...”