• Published 29th Oct 2020
  • 1,279 Views, 6 Comments

The Hangmare's Body Count - Mystic Mind



Legends tell of a ghostly, mysterious pony, dressed in black and carrying a raven on her shoulder. She is the hangmare, and she wll not rest until justice is served.

  • ...
2
 6
 1,279

Justice of the Grave

The Hangmare’s Bodycount

“O-one ticket to A-a-appleloosa, p-please,” I stutter as I hand the conductor my bits. Damn, what a suspicious mess I must be to them right now. But I’ve gotta get away from Dodge City as fast as I can! I didn’t do anythin’, I swear! I ain’t no cold-blooded killer…

Ugh, there I go, rambling off like a crazy pony again. Look, I’d better start explainin’ myself before I draw too much attention. My name is Silver Steps, an’ I’m one of the fiercest, most notorious outlaw ponies in all Equestria. With a silver coat, fringed white mane, and two thick horseshoes for a cutie mark, I had to be one of the most recognisable ponies in all the Badlands!

Well, that’s how I like to think o’ myself, anyhow. Truth is, I did join one of them fierce outlaw gangs. I mean, what kid from Appleloosa hasn’t dreamt of bein’ one of those ‘wild west’ types? They’re just so cool, never taking no grief from anypony! Yeah, I know my way ‘round a revolver, and yeah I wear a Stetson, but I ain’t no killer. I swear on my ma’s life!

You’d think nopony would question a gang o’ outlaws suddenly going missing in the Badlands, but that’s just the thing. You’re gonna think I’m crazy here, but after what I saw, there’s no doubt in my mind that somethin’ spooky is going on here. No matter where I go, ever since… let’s say ‘the accidents’, I’ve been constantly on the run from this creepy lookin’ ghost pony.

I know it’s a ghost pony, ‘cause nopony else seems to notice. And you’d think at least somepony would notice a heavy-set mare, dressed in all black with a raven on her shoulder. Oh, and there’s bandages over her eyes, so she must be blind to boot. At first, I thought this was somepony’s idea of a joke. Like, what, is this some kind o’ fancy Nightmare Night getup? She looks like one o’ them stereotypical gravediggers!

But let me tell you, she ain’t joking, not one bit. She’s been pursuing me everywhere, day and night, nonstop! Everywhere she goes, she carries with her this short noose, an’ though she’s blind, she follows the raven like it were a part of her body. No matter where I try to lose her, she just shows up like, a couple hundred meters behind.

Okay, y’know what? Maybe I am goin’ a little gaga. I haven’t had a wink o’ sleep since that blasted mare started stalking me yesterday. But now I have a chance to rest, even if it’s just for an hour or so. No way she can keep up with a movin’ train!

Or so I thought.

As the guard blew his whistle, the train began to move out from the station. But then, just as I happen to glance out the window, there she was – that creepy ghost pony, staring at me. She was still some way away, but there was no mistakin’ it was her.

I nearly jumped out of my skin! Of course, she’d try and follow me, she’s the definition of obsessed. Still, I left her in the dust, no way she could catch me now. Perhaps she was just some crazy pony after all. I s’pose I was right to relax and get a little shuteye.

At least, that’s what I wanted. Every time I started to close my eyes, the image of that mare flashed before me, staring at me through the window like she was stood on the platform! I swear, she’ll be in my nightmares for weeks, at this rate. I sure hope Princess Luna ain’t too busy to help…

Despite the whole haunting malarkey, I did drift off to sleep soon enough. I musta been really freakin’ tired, ‘cause I was out like a light the whole journey! When I woke up, it wasn’t only dark outside, but dark inside, too. Like, almost too dark to see. Thankfully, Luna’s full moon gave me somethin’ of a visual reference.

Rubbin’ my eyes, I tapped my head to check I wasn’t dreamin’. Nope, it was all real. As my eyes adjusted to the low light, I noticed that the carriage was suspiciously empty. The train was mighty busy when I got on. Not like, standing room only busy, but busy enough for the average rush hour.

All of them ponies vanished into thin air. Last I recall, Canterlot is the end o’ the line for this train, and Canterlot ain’t no desert. Now that I mention it, the train had stopped at a station, so unless it had gone all the way to Canterlot an’ back with me still on board, I could only be at Appleloosa.

But that ain’t even the craziest part. I checked the other carriages, an’ all o’ them was empty, too! Heck, I even checked the locomotive, and it was stone cold. It was like they all just abandoned it at the last minute. No crew, no steam, no conductor, nothin’.

You could say that they packed up for the day, but that don’t make sense either. Now, I’m no steam buff, but I know enough to understand you’re not supposed to just, leave the train in the station overnight! Besides, like I said, there was no fire comin’ from the firebox. It’d sat there for Celestia knows how long, completely abandoned. Hopping in the footplate, I lean out the other side of the cab, with hopes to maybe see some hoofprints, or other signs of life.

That’s when I spotted her, again. She was right at the other end of the train, raven flyin’ ahead as she slowly marched past each carriage toward me. You’d better believe I started high tailin’ it out of there!

Now, I never knew the station to be that big, but the moment I burst through the double doors, I swear it got a whole lot bigger! Like, you’d expect to be in and out in a couple o’ minutes, but this thing was just a black hole; a pitch-black hallway that stretched as far as the eye could see. I woulda ran ‘round the outside, but with that crazy mare hot on my tail, I had no time to mess around. So, as fast as I dared, I charged forward into the darkness.

The further I went, the more the halls twist in on themselves, splittin’ into multiple pathways in directions that make no sense. Some went uphill, others downhill, and some twisted over in on themselves! If I wasn’t payin’ attention, I woulda ended up running on the ceiling. A couple times, I saw the mare comin’ at me from the opposite direction, while other times, she was walking on the ceiling with no care for gravity!

You have no idea how many times I hit myself, tryin’ desperately to wake up from this awful nightmare of mine. Through all this, I completely lost track o’ time, galloping on and on for what felt like hours. I just knew that, eventually, I would have to come out the other side, wherever that was.

Eventually, that’s exactly what I did. Words can’t describe the relief I felt. I was finally gonna leave that crazy mare behind, and with it, make a clean break in my life. To top it all off, just as I reached the station lobby, I finally spotted another pony – one that wasn’t the hangmare to boot!

Unfortunately, my relief was short lived. No, it wasn’t the hangmare starin’ from behind the stationmaster’s desk, but it wasn’t a pretty sight either. Sitting there, hooves kicked up on the counter, was one of my old outlaw pals: Copper Bitt. Under normal circumstances, I woulda loved to stumble upon him.

Problem was, Copper Bitt is dead. I watched him die.

“Well, well, well,” he said, tipping his Stetson back to look me in the eye, sounding more surprised than angry. “Look who rolled into town. How ya been, newbie?”

“I…erm…a, but… wuh?” That was all I managed to sputter out, starin’ slack jawed at his half-crushed head. How he survived an injury like that, I’ll never know!

“Aww, what’s the matter, ol’ chum?” he sat up and leant forward, grinning at me with a broken, toothy smile. “Cockatrice got your tongue?”

“You shouldn’t be here!” I yelled, feeling a sudden chill run down my spine. “How… what the heck is goin’ on here?!”

Copper shook his head, in a way that I swear was meant to show off his flat half. “No, my friend, it’s you who shouldn’t be here. You remember our deal, don’t ya?”

“I… don’t know what you mean,” I averted my gaze because, for the record, I’m squeamish about gore. “I’m runnin’ from a crazy hangmare’s ghost. She’s stalking me like a coyote stalks a rabbit!”

“And what might a hangmare want with you, hmm?” Copper rested his chin on one hoof, gently tapping out a rhythm with the other. “You know what hangmares do for a living, right? They execute criminals. I know you’re smart enough to follow my logic from here, eh, buddy?”

“Hey, don’t you go treatin’ me like a foal here!” I snapped. “I ain’t any more guilty than you were. We’re outlaws, remember? We live by our own rules, our own justice! Besides, there’s more t’ this hangmare than any normal pony. No matter how far I run, she’s always right behind me! There’s somethin’ spooky goin’ on here, and you can’t convince me otherwise, since you’re literally back from the grave!”

Copper sighed and stood up, trotting around the desk to approach me. I tried to back away, but there weren’t many places I could go. “Now, pay attention, newbie,” he said with uncomfortable delight. “I’m trying to play with kid gloves here, but I need ya to understand one, simple fact. It’s your fault that I’m dead, and for once, I need ya to take some responsibility for it! I gave you a shot at this outlaw business, and look where it got me. Surely you can be the bigger stallion and admit when you hurt a friend, right?”

“B-but… but…” I stammered, bitin’ my bottom lip. I said it before, and I’ll say it again. I ain’t no killer! Not once have I ever given a pony so much as a love tap. That just ain’t who I am, and I most assuredly did not kill Copper Bitt in cold blood! I just wish I’d had the courage to explain that at the time.

“Oh, no, no, no!” he bellowed in a sing-song voice, prancing over to me with enough force to make the floor shake. “You were the one sent to scout out a hidin’ place, you were supposed ta make it all safe, an’ you sure as sugar weren’t supposed ta get me crushed to death!

I was speechless. This was somethin’ I’d tried hard to forget. I swear, it wasn’t on purpose! It’s just a painful memory, ‘cause… Well, Copper’s right about one thing. I was supposed to be their scout, checking caves for hidden dangers like snakes, or bears, or even other outlaws. The thing is, I did scout ‘em. It’s just, well, I don’t do so good in enclosed spaces.

Hey, before you judge me, keep this in mind! When I was a colt, I was always the kid that got picked on. They’d shove me into tiny boxes, trappin’ me inside. Can you imagine what kind of trauma that can give an eight year old? That sort of thing can last a lifetime! Is it any wonder why I didn’t go in right away?

“Well?” Copper narrowed his eyes at me, leanin’ in real close. His half grin was now so wide, I swear I heard his face muscles creak from the strain. “Don’t ya have anythin’ to say for yourself?”

“It wasn’t my fault!” I blurted out. Not the smartest thing t’ say, I’ll admit. But it was true, anyhow. “I checked the caves, just like you told me to. There weren’t any nasties in any of ‘em, not one. How was I supposed to know the roof was unstable? Heck, if I’d gone in any deeper, I woulda been killed instead, and then none o’ you would know which cave was safest.”

The look Copper Bitt gave me was nothin’ short of a death glare. “You fool,” he chuckled in a low tone, slowly creeping toward me, one step at a time – not stopping until I was backed against the wall. “You really don’t get it, do ya? The hangmare wants you dead, and it’d bring me nothing but joy to beat her to the punch!”

I gulped, shakin’ like a leaf in a storm. “N-now, you listen here,” I squeaked, trying my best to put on a brave face. “I never wanted you to die. Can’t we just let bygones be bygones an’—”

“Shut up!”

I could feel his hot breath on my face, his mangled teeth dripping with saliva and blood. “I wasn’t finished. I could rip your head off, and believe me, it would be satisfying. But that ain’t why I’m here. Nah, in the end, you’re just as pathetic as the day I first met ya. So, I’m here to warn you instead. If you don’t start owning up to your problems, then justice will be served. Do I make myself clear?”

With that, he began fading away. But I wasn’t done with him, not yet. “Hey, wait a minute!” I yelled, trying to grab him, but fell straight through. That’s when the room started to shake, tremor-like, powerful enough to knock pictures off the wall and split the ceiling support beams in two.

I was out of there faster than you can say ‘apple cider’! It was lucky I moved when I did, ‘cause no sooner was I through the door, the whole place came crashin’ down! For a moment, I just stood there, staring at what remained of the spooky-old station house. Just what was happening to me? Sure, I know I made some mistakes, but I don’t think I deserved all this. What happened to Copper could happen to anypony. It was a freak accident, nothin’ to do with me at all!

That’s when she showed up again. Somehow, from out of the station ruins, the hangmare emerged without a scratch on her. She just phased straight through the roof like it was nothin’!

Well, I wasn’t gonna wait and find out how she did it. I was already off like a lightning bolt, heading for the nearest building to lose her in. I chose the town hall. With a grand total of twenty-five rooms, I knew I’d be able to hide in at least one of ‘em.

At this point, I didn’t know what to expect. By the way things were going, I half anticipated it to be haunted as well. Holding my breath, I closed my eyes and burst through the double doors, slammin’ them behind me. Pressing my body against the doors, I slowly cracked open one eye to find…

…Nothin’. No ghosts, no weirdly twisted hallways like an M.C Eschire painting come to life. For the first time since this whole ordeal began, I felt safe. Unlike the station, this place was actually lit. Achieved through dim candlelight, mind, but at least I could properly see where I was goin’. No way I was gonna get lost in here!

I listened out for her, but heard nothin’. Not even a rattle at the door. Still, just to be on the safe side, I pushed over a nearby bookcase to block the entrance. Wherever the mayor of Appleloosa was, I’d have to apologise to them later.

By now, I was outta breath from runnin’ so much. So, I decided to take it easy for a while, slowly wandering through the main hall and up the leftmost staircase. I’ll admit, this place is a lot fancier than I remember it being. I knew the Appleloosan Orchard was big business, but golden bannisters and red-velvet carpets is real rich pony stuff! Honestly, it made a poor vagabond like me feel out o’ place.

But that weren’t the biggest thing to catch my eye. No, that’d be the paintings, lining almost every inch of the walls surrounding the staircase. Some figures I recognised. One was obviously Applejack, the apple farmer from Ponyville. Another was Filthy Rich, a big business type, whose goons I regularly stole from. The centrepiece was the biggest one, a huge mural o’ Princess Celestia an’ Luna.

Gosh, I’d so much rather be in Canterlot. A life in the big city would probably be boring—compared to that of an outlaw, at least—but dang, it must be safer than whatever mess I’d gotten into.

At the top of the staircase, I came face to face with a pair of statues that couldn’t look more o’ place. They had blank, emotionless eyes, lips curled into a permanent snarl, and a single, backwards curved horn that split in two. A monster like I’d never seen before! Not quite a pony, but not like a buffalo or gryphon, either.

Approaching it, I noticed a pair of worn plaques near the hooves. This was doubly strange, since everythin’ else was kept in such pristine condition. Why in Celestia’s name would they let this get so roughed up? I knelt down an’ did my best to read the faded description.

The Nirik, a ferocious beast from pre-historic Equestria. Well, I for sure wouldn’t wanna find that on a dark night! I quickly decided to move on, as just lookin’ at the statues gave me shivers. Perhaps if I could find a nice bed, I’d be able to rest for the night and, come mornin’, leave this whole creepy ordeal behind.

I took a couple steps forward. Then, a loud creak echoed beneath me! I snapped round on reflex, expectin’ to hear the thump of the hangmare’s boots.

Nothing. Nopony was there. Musta’ been the floorboards, I thought, wiping the sweat from my brow.

Going forth, I tried to ignore the noise. But the further I walked, the louder it got. Finally, just as I was about to turn a bedroom doorknob, I caught somethin’ from the corner of my eye.

I snapped around again, but nothin’. This time, however, I knew something had changed. I was staring for a good ten seconds before it all clicked. A cold chill rushed down my spine. The statues were gone. I struggled with the doorknob, trying hard to get it open, but it wouldn’t budge.

Then came an incredible roar! The Nirik statues, they’d come to life, somehow! So fast did they move, my eyes could barely keep up with ‘em. With no options left, I turned my back t’ the door and, as hard as I could, gave it one almighty buck!

The door snapped off its hinges, and I dove in, just in time to avoid the massive fireball that engulfed the hallway. The flash blinded me temporarily, but I soon got my eyes in focus again. When they did, I found no bedroom. Instead, it was a long, spiral-shaped marble stairway, completely different from the rest o’ the town hall.

There was no time to dwell on it. The Nirik were right behind me, screaming some incomprehensible gibberish while everything burnt around ‘em. So, off I went, galloping down the stairs as fast as my hooves could carry me. All the while, the Nirik was comin’ closer.

What happened next is a complete blur to me. I dunno for how long I was running, the Nirik literally hot on my tail. Then, at some point, I tripped, flying over the banister and into the darkness below.

I woke up some time later. It could’ve been hours, it could’ve been days, I had no idea. I only knew I was in a black room, surrounded by paintings once again. These paintings, however, weren’t the kind you’d see in a museum. No, they depicted ponies who were rottin’ from the inside out. Patches of missin’ skin, green puss acros their guts. Yet, they were all in regular poses, like zombies, trying to go about their normal lives.

Above all, there was one painting which filled me the most with dread. Y’all remember Copper Bitt, right? Well, he ain’t the only member of my possie who died. If anything, Copper got off lightly, ‘cause Iron Tail’s fate was far, far worse.

Y’see, his face was burned off. Some rival unicorn gang ambushed us, castin’ an acid spell straight into Iron’s eyes. It’s another memory I try to forget, seeing the skin melt from his head. What was left was little more than a mesh of melted flesh and exposed bone.

The sight made me gag, though I kept my lunch down. Why I reacted this way to Iron, but not Copper, is a mystery to me.

I looked away—only for a second, I swear—to catch my breath, and when I looked back, the picture changed! It was still Iron, but his expression was different. Instead of a blank stare, he was scowling, the muscles on his face contorting so much, it looked painful.

Then the laughter came, echoing around me. It was coming from them paintings! They were all laughin’ at me, their bodies decaying rapidly. Then, through it all, came the voice I should’ve expected.

“About time you showed up,” said Iron Tail.

“No!” I shouted, more out of denial than any real courage. “No, not this again! This ain’t happening, it can’t be!”

“Poor, clueless Silver Steps,” Iron Tail shook his head, though it wasn’t a smooth motion. Every time I blinked, his head had moved a little, like some creepy home slideshow. “I knew you were dumb, but I had no idea you were this dumb.”

“Nuh-uh, can’t hear you!” I screamed, plugging my ears. “I’m ready to wake up now. Any second, Princess Luna, I’ve learnt my lesson.”

“I sincerely doubt it,” Iron sneered, his voice changing direction to the right of me. “You are as stupid as you are arrogant, always trying to play with the big boys with no concern for other ponies.”

“For the last, freaking time – I. Ain’t. No. Murderer!”

“Nopony ever said you were,” his voice was closer now, as if he were standin’ right behind me. “What you are is incompetent. You really don’t know how many deaths you’ve caused through your foolishness, have you?”

“W-what do you mean?” I stuttered, close to tears.

“Need I remind you of your job duties? That of a scout, hmm?”

I could feel his hot breath on the back o’ my neck. I spin around, tryin’ to deck him in the face, but there was nothing to hit.

“A scout is supposed to be our lookout, and you, my dear Silver, were the lookout.” The tension in his voice grew with every word. “You claimed to know where the enemy hideouts were, and guess what? You didn’t!”

“I-I thought—”

“It doesn’t matter what you thought!” his booming voice echoed throughout. “You lied, and kept on lying over and over! You lied until we were all dead! Can you not get this through that thick skull o’ yours?!”

“…shut up,” I said through gritted teeth.

“What was that?”

“I said, SHUT UP!” Furious, I slammed my hoof into the painting, pounding it over and over until it was nothin’ but a pile of scrap.

“You can’t run forever!”

Spinning round, I smack the next painting down, then the next, then the next. I can’t remember a time I’ve ever been that angry, but something about Iron’s taunting just filled me with a rage like no other. As each painting fell, Iron’s voice just moved somewhere else.

“The hangmare comes for all those unavenged.”

I paused, narrowing my eyes at the final painting. That last bit caught my attention, as Copper Bitt had said something similar. “What about her?”

“Oh, so you have met her already,” he grinned.

“Don’t play dumb with me,” I sneered. “Just tell me what you know ‘bout her, fast. ‘Fore I kill you for real.”

“Kill me for real? Pull the other one!” Iron laughed a deep, hearty bellow. “You’ve said it yourself, you’re as spineless as they come! But I suppose I can entertain your fantasies well enough.”

“The hangmare. What is she?” I asked, stampin’ my hoof and whinnying.

“Let’s just say that she knows far more than you think. Surely you know the legend, don’t you? She’s counted your sins, and now she will not rest until justice is served. Gallows justice.”

I straightened my posture and puffed out my chest, trying to look more confident than I really was. “Well, I bet my boots she can’t chase me forever. When mornin’ comes, she’ll be dust on the wind, and I’ll finally be able to go put you, and this whole haunted town, behind me!”

Then, much like Copper Bitt, Iron Tail burst into cackle so loud, I thought my ears would burst!

“You can’t outrun justice,” he said eventually. “Do the right thing, Silver Steps. Turn yourself in. Because one way or another, you will pay for what you did to me, to Copper Bitt, and to Cobalt Belle, especially!”

I tried to retort, but no words came out. My throat was dry, that one name stinging like no other. If I’m honest, there’s only thing that’s ever scared me more than the hangmare, and that’s returning to Cobalt Belle.

“Oh dear, have I struck a nerve?” Iron Tail jeered. “Now, whyever would you want to avoid her? Could it be you have some, let’s say, unfinished business with her, too?”

“N-never you mind,” I tried and failed to hide the quiver in my voice. “We got along simply fine after you died, y’hear? There wasn’t never any bad blood between us, and that’s a fact!”

“If you say so,” Iron shrugged as his painting began to fade. “I guess it’s time for me to go. But wait, what’s that? Oh, I think I hear somepony coming. And y’know what? She’s very keen to talk to you. Do say hi to Cobalt for me when you meet her.”

Just like that, Iron was gone, so too were the smashed paintings. I was alone in the cold dark. I wanted to be angry. He was the one who always doubted me, what I was capable of. But, for whatever reason, I just couldn’t summon the same, intense rage as before. I hate to admit it... he had a point.

Iron Tail may have been a jerk, but he was always brutally honest. But the thing is, even if I were more careful, it wouldn’t have made a difference. I ain’t psychic, after all! ‘Sides, he always saw the worst in me! How was I ever gonna live up to his standards, when he never gave me a chance t’ begin with? Even if I had warned him, he wouldn’t have believed me.

It wasn’t long before she showed up again. I could’ve faced her there and then, ownin’ up to my faults once and for all. Looking back, I probably should have, but in the end, I wasn’t that smart. I was a slave to my gut reactions and despair.

Well, maybe I did have one, solitary moment of bravery. Just behind the hangmare, I could see the faintest trickle of light. It was a long shot, but if I could just make it past her, then I’d be out in the morning sun!

So, closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and charged.

As I galloped, I kept my head down, expecting at any moment to run straight into the hangmare. But the moment never came. When I finally opened my eyes again, I was indeed outside again, but not in daylight.

No, there was no sign of Celestia’s sun. Instead, I was standin’ in front of a tall gate: the entrance to Appleloosa cemetery. I felt the pit of my stomach drop. Of all the places I could end up, tryin’ to outrun a ghost, I had to be here, surrounded by the dead.

Well, by this point, I knew what I was in for. There was no puttin’ it off any longer. It was time to find Cobalt Belle, the pony who got me invested in this whole outlaw business. Glancing behind me, the hangmare was nowhere to be seen, nor heard. Good, I thought. I’m out of breath anyhow.

With nowhere else to go, I slowly trotted into the graveyard, not knowin’ what to expect. This time, however, there were no monsters to chase me, no freaky rooms that twisted upside down, and no ghosts with mangled faces to talk down to me.

Well, that last part ain’t entirely true. As I made my way past the endless rows of headstones and monuments, a low mist rolled across the ground, dropping the temperature somethin’ fierce. There, above each grave, were the ghosts of ponies long passed, greeting me with a silent regard. I couldn’t see their faces, as they were all obscured by a shadowy veil from the muzzle up. But I knew they were judging me. Even if they never said a word, they all turned to look at me, bowing their heads when I came near.

“Stop lookin’ at me!” I hissed, but I got no reply. I shouldn’t have said anything. I was just wasting my breath, because in the end, they all knew I was a dead stallion walkin’. It was only I who refused to admit it – who couldn’t admit it. I didn’t want to die, I… it was all a mistake! One big mistake, getting in with the wrong crowd, way over my head.

At long last, I reached the hilltop, and she was there. The ghost of Cobalt Belle, beautiful as ever. Her pale blue coat and ice white mane shimmered, like she was barely keepin’ her form together. The only constant part of her form was her cutie mark: a pair of duelling pistols, crossed over one another. Hard to believe a mare as kind-hearted as her would ever get such a talent.

“Hello, Silver Steps,” she said. Her voice was silky smooth, yet sharp as a spearhead. She was stick thin, not a shred o’ muscle on her. Just like the day I left her. She looked upon me, not with anger, but with sympathy, her emerald green eyes sparkling as she gave me a gentle smile.

“Hello,” I replied, meekly.

“You know why you’re here, don’t you?”

“I do,” I nodded, my expression turning sombre as I knelt, removing my hat. “I’m sorry, Cobalt. I really am. I know I’ve never been the brightest bulb in the box, but I gave this whole outlaw life my all! I never wanted this to happen, not like this…”

“We all make mistakes, Silver,” she floated down and stood over me. “But that doesn’t absolve us of blame. Even Princess Celestia has her regrets, but she does not run from her problems. She lives with them, and learns from them. That is the magic of friendship, Silver. Perhaps you understand that, at last?”

“You’re right, I…” I felt the words catch in my throat, tears now streaming down my face. “I just couldn’t take it anymore! It wasn’t just one misfortune, it was three. What happened to Copper, what happened to Iron, and what happened to you… none of that was supposed t’ end up like it did. Truth is, I wanted to impress you, to be a brave, valiant outlaw like in all the stories. I wanted to be like you. But I guess I couldn’t. I’m not strong enough. Never been. After Copper’s death, I shoulda taken the hint that I wasn’t cut out for this kind of life.”

Cobalt placed a hoof on my shoulder, and I cringed, expecting a verbal beatdown. But none came. I looked up, and she, too, was crying. I didn’t understand.

“I tried,” she wept. “I really tried to make you into the stallion of your dreams. I wanted to see the best in you, and maybe I still do. Maybe I didn’t train you properly, to give you the right sort of guidance. You showed so much potential, the kind of spirit somepony looks for in an outlaw! That’s why I accepted you into our gang. No matter what the others said, I believed in you, to the very end.”

For a moment, I was lost for words. Why was she the one feeling guilty instead of me? Cobalt was one o’ the kindest mares I’ve ever known, and what did I do? I threw it all away, not just because of my carelessness, but my cowardice. Only then, did I understand what Iron Tail and Copper Bitt were tryin’ to tell me.

One way or another, a pony will face repercussions for their actions. Even if our mortal law never finds them, the hangmare will. She is the shadow of guilt that hangs over everypony, their conscience incarnate.

“This ain’t right,” I said eventually, wipin’ away the tears. “I hurt you. I never meant to, but I did. I left you to starve in the desert, after we’d escaped those bandits, never fulfilling my promise to come back. Only I can set this right, an’ let you pass on, proper.”

“Silver, y-you…” I could see her struggling to speak, but I knew what she was going to say.

“I’m afraid not, Cobalt,” I shook my head, risin’ to all four hooves. “I’m done runnin’. There’s no justice in Equestria that can make up for the sins I’ve committed. It’s time I have one final talk with that hangmare.”

“But I forgive you, Silver!” Cobalt tried to grab at me, but she just phased through. “The others may not, but… truly, in their heart of hearts, they want you to be better.”

“I’m sure they do. But for me, only the hangmare can decide my fate,” I let out a small sigh. “If she thinks I’m redeemed, I’ll live my best life. Otherwise… Well, I know you, at least, had the heart to forgive me.”

“I understand,” Cobalt said, slowly floating back toward her grave. “I can only hope, after all is said and done, we will meet again someday, to start our friendship anew.”

“Maybe,” I gave a small chuckle, bowing my head. “Time will tell. For now, rest easy, Cobalt Belle. You’ve earned it.”

With those words spoken, she faded away. I hope, at least, she’s found the peace she needs to cross over. As for me? Well, there was only one place to go, and sure enough, the raven was there t’ guide me. Walking up to the hilltop, I can see the hangmare waiting for me, her expression as neutral as it’s always been.

So, I suppose this is where I make my exit. Goodbye, Cobalt Belle, Iron Tail, Copper Bitt. In the end, you were the best friends I could ever hope to have had.


“Applejack? Applejack, where’d you go?” Applebloom bounced up and down, trying to spot her sister amongst the crowd.

“I’m right here, sugarcube,” Applejack called, pushing her way past the sea of bodies to embrace her little sister.

“Applejack? What’s goin’ on? Why’s there such a big crowd around the cemetery gates?”

Applejack shook her head. “Nothin’ to worry ‘bout, Applebloom. Just some mean ol’ prank left over from Nightmare Night. You head back to the station and wait for me there, okay?”

Applebloom tried to look past her sister, but with so many ponies around, she couldn’t see anything. “Alright,” she said. “Will you be long?”

“Naw, just gotta sort out some grown-up stuff with Braeburn. You know the way back, right?”

“Straight toward the clock tower, then a hard right toward the platform, yeah?”

“Got it in one. See you in a minute, lil’ sis,” Applejack smiled.

“See ya there!” So, Applebloom trotted off, blissfully unaware of the half-truth Applejack had given her.

Turning back toward the cemetery, Applejack pushed her way back to Braeburn, then turned to address the crowd. “Alright, everypony. The Sheriff will be here any minute t’ deal with this. Y’all go about your day now.”

Murmuring, the crowd separated, leaving Applejack and Braeburn alone to face the limp body of Silver Steps hanging from the tree. “I never thought I’d see the day,” she said sombrely, removing her hat and holding it against her chest. “A pony must be in some real bad state o’ mind to do this to themselves. Did you know this stallion, Braeburn?”

“Nah, I don’t,” Braeburn shook his head. “Never seen him before. He came here with the late train from Dodge Junction last night. If the witnesses are to be believed, he’d gone stark ravin’ mad, yelling to himself about some sort of ghost.”

“Yikes,” Applejack grimaced, her ears falling flat against her head. “Was this ghost that of an old blind mare, by any chance?”

“I dunno, I only heard about all this secondhoof,” Braeburn looked at Applejack, raising an eyebrow. “Why? You know somethin’ about this?”

“Not exactly…” Applejack trailed off. She thought she saw a slender figure, silhouetted against the setting sun. But after a moment, it was gone. “Never mind. Just an old pony’s tail, that’s all. I’d best be gettin’ back to Applebloom, anyhow. Will you be okay, here?”

“I’ll be fine,” Braeburn smiled. “Take care of yourself, cousin.”

“You, too.” Replacing her hat, she turned and began her walk toward the station. For some reason, the situation reminded her of a poem she’d heard as a filly. In her head, she recited the lyrics:

Pull of the rope,

The judgement day is coming.

Say your prayers once more,

You’re part of the hangmare’s body count.

The End

Comments ( 6 )

This is a damn good story.

10506084
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it. I worked myself to the bone for it to be ready before Halloween ^^'.

This was one dang good story.

This was amazing.

Well now if that wasn't creepy as all fuck.

Login or register to comment