• Published 26th Oct 2020
  • 447 Views, 5 Comments

The Witch Queen - Unicorncob

  • ...
4
 5
 447

The Setup

The hooded Pony entered the Canterlot Sculpture Garden. Magic-powered spotlights lit up the stone statues in the late night, along with the plaques explaining what each one represented. Friendship, harmony, teamwork, and other such things.

How gaudy.

She didn't like being so close to the castle. Even a decade after Celestia and Luna stepped down from their thrones, she could still feel their influence. The hope and joy radiating from the citizens was in the air, and she was close to choking on it.

At least she was finally ready to begin. A lot had changed since her return to Equestria, but recent events weren’t going to deter her.

In fact, things were going to be much, much easier.

She stopped at a sculpture that really stood out among the noble and heroic Ponies. Three figures were posed on the podium; a pre-metamorphosis Changeling lunging forward with fangs bared, a scrawny Centaur reeled back in fear, and a Pegasus filly holding her face in her hooves with a face of impending doom.

She recognised them all right away, of course. They were just who she came to see.

She looked around, and nickred at the guards patrolling in the distance. The Sculpture Garden was open to the public at all times, but she couldn’t be seen doing what she was about to do. Her horn glowed a dark purple, and the air around the statue began to fuzz, like an invisible fog. Once that was done, she focused her magic on the stone filly. The purple hue around her face caused the granite to fade away, and the hooded mare heard breaths.

“I-I’m free?” the filly said, looking down to the mare. “Oh, thank you so so much, kind Pony! I’ve been stuck in that statue for so long!” She put on a sickeningly sweet tone, fluttering her eyelashes.

“I know who you are, Cozy Glow,” the mare said. “No need for the act.”

Immediately, Cozy’s face flopped into an indifferent frown. “Well, whaddya want then? Something tells me this isn’t an exclusive interview for the paper.”

“Unfortunately not.” The mare lifted a roll of parchment from inside her cloak and unravelled it in front of Cozy. “I believe you know what this is?”

Cozy’s sharp gasp spoke volumes.

“That?!” she squeaked, then quickly composed herself. “Ahem. I dunno where it is, if that’s what you want. That goody two-hooves Princess Twilight probably has it, and I don’t think you wanna break into the castle.”

“You’re quite correct,” the mare agreed, tucking the parchment back in. “Breaking into Canterlot Castle would be folly, even for myself. So I simply wish to know something else; where did you find it?”

“Why ask me?” Cozy asked, gesturing toward the Centaur and Changeling she was stuck with. “Why not ask Tirek or Chrysalis?”

“Because I know better than to expose myself to a being capable of absorbing energy. You have nothing to threaten me with, so you may as well make it easy on both of us.”

“Then why should I tell you anything? You’re just gonna put me back to stone, aren’t you?”

“Believe you me, Cozy Glow; when I’m done, you’ll be free as a bird. Well, a Pegasus in your case.”

“No offense, lady, but I’m done trusting anyone who’s not me,” Cozy said. “I trusted these two bozos, and look where that got me. Your word ain’t gonna cut it.”

“Oh, very well.” The mare’s horn glowed once again. “I don’t like doing this, but if you prefer the hard way…”

A magic stream shot from the mare’s horn square into Cozy Glow’s forehead, and she closed my eyes. Flashes of memories appeared before her eyes, but they were not her own. She saw three fillies with matching cutie marks. The School of Friendship. A cavern. Tartarus, interestingly enough. Grogar? A song number?

“Wait… this is it.”

She opened her eyes and broke the magical stream. Cozy groaned and loosened her face.

“What the heck was that?!” the filly demanded. “I didn’t say you could poke through my memories!”

“You should have been more upfront with me then.” The mare turned her back, and the granite started to close back up around Cozy’s face. “Thank you very much, all the same.”

“W-wait! C’mon, let me free!” she pleaded. “I helped you, didn’t--?!” She was cut off by the stone covering her mouth back up.

“You did,” the mare said, “and I’ll make sure you’re rewarded with your freedom.”

The fuzziness in the air faded as the illusion spell wore off. The mare looked at another parchment, this one creased from being crumpled at one point.

“In fact, you’ll never have been turned to stone in the first place.”