• Published 9th Nov 2020
  • 263 Views, 1 Comments

Into The Open Life - Lonely Fanboy48



Oliver, a sad traumatized eight year old child from an orphanage gets adopted from a Rainboom, a brown bear, an intelligent teenage, and a Crystal Gem to help him from his past.

  • ...
9
 1
 263

A Night With Kindness

Outside in the parking lot, nearly everyone including Oliver’s roommates were outside witnessing Oliver being adopted, only this time, it wasn’t the same strangers from before, it was Fluttershy, of all people. Her and Connie did the best to do the paperwork while bringing along Oliver’s information, so they can share it with their friends.

“Alright everyone.” Garnet called while coming out the door. “It’s a pleasure meeting you all, but this is an emergency for the kid we’re adopting.” The kids looked at each other, knowing that Oliver has far less experience with social communication after all the abuse he went through.

“You think he’s gonna change for real?” Joseph wondered.

“That’s gonna take a long time to process. You’re all wonderful people, but Oliver is not like you, even if he’s still an orphan.”

“I still found it difficult to believe that.” Emily added.

“And to think Fluttershy would adopt him is still mind blowing.” Tim added. “I didn’t think he would ever leave the orphanage.”

Garnet knew the kids weren’t lying, it’s one thing for a child to stay at an orphanage after their parents got killed, but after suffering so much neglect from several pairs of abusive parents is unreal. “No matter what happens, we have everything under control.”

Then Fluttershy, Connie, and Ice Bear walked out the front door with Connie holding onto Oliver’s hand. During the whole time, Oliver kept having panic attacks, fearing he could be dealing with the same situations from before. Just when they came up to their car, Fluttershy unlocked the door with her keys while settling into the driver’s seat. She didn’t make any eye contact with the kids whatsoever, with only a couple hours until nightfall, she’s focusing on her first step for her adopted child.

“Calm down, it’s gonna be alright.” Connie said to Oliver while he slowly headed into the vehicle. “This is obviously hard to accept, but believe me, your life is still worth living.” After Ice Bear sat next to the child after closing the door, she headed to the passenger’s seat in the front.

“We would thank all of you for trying to help Oliver, but it’s not like you had any other choice in the first place.” Garnet called as she opened the door from the other side. “He’s gonna be in good hands from now on.” She got inside, whilst waving goodbye to all the orphans. After closing the door, Fluttershy inserted her keys in the ignition, starting her vehicle, while heading out the orphanage’s parking lot.

Oliver looks at the orphanage itself, knowing today will be the last day he’ll ever stay there, but refuses to believe his trauma would ever be fully healed. He didn’t want to cause a fight because of how weak he is. Getting dragged down constantly due to his past life is what prevents him from looking at Fluttershy, Connie, Garret, and Ice Bear.

“You still feel distressed from the way your arms are shaking.” Garnet said, looking at the child’s arms.

“It’s just, when I had a room with my past adopted parents, they never gave me a blanket, nor a bed. I had to sleep on the floor.” Oliver responded.

Little did he know, Fluttershy made a slight gasp of concern. “Don’t say anything about your past.” Connie spoke. “In case you don’t understand, you're staying at Fluttershy’s from now on. She has a spare room with a real bed.”

The orphan couldn’t be thankful for how less he knew about these people. His carelessness didn’t mean a lot after the past three years of his life. “Don’t take this the wrong way but...I don’t know all of you.” He slowly turned to Ice Bear, who took notice from the look on his face. “I thought you were a wild animal, how am I supposed to know you’re not a normal bear?”

Ice Bear didn’t respond from the way he heard Oliver’s tone, if anything for the time being, the less he learns about him and his friends, the better. “Ice Bear is a close friend of mine.” Fluttershy spoked while driving on the highway. “From where you live, none of us live there. I know it’s hard to believe, but if we ever lied, you would still come back to the orphanage.”

“And the thing is...you should be in school at one point, not spending the rest of your life in an empty room.” Garnet added. “Granted, we agreed to have you wait until you're ready to be in a school environment, but as long as we’re protecting you, this process won’t take long.”

Oliver never had anyone aside from his parents to talk some sense into him. Usually, he would be the one attempting to make a stand against his neglectful owners. His life was so small, he didn’t remember the planet being so humongous. “Okay so...what should we do tomorrow?” He asked.

“Maybe Garnet and Ice Bear will take you out for the day.” Connie answered. “We would be willing to help, but we also have jobs.”

Fluttershy wanted to help out Oliver, but she agreed with Connie. She’ll be working all day with the animals, only relying on the time she will have with Oliver once she gets home. But on the other hand, the wait will be worth it when she spends quality time with him, showing how much she’s against child abuse and neglect. But as for tonight, she’ll prove it to him, no matter how short a timeframe it is.


After nearly an hour of driving on the highway, Fluttershy drove to the tree tunnel where her house is located. It didn’t take long for her until she saw the cul de sac in sight. “We’re here.” She spoke to get Oliver’s attention.

When Oliver saw Fluttershy’s house itself, it wasn’t as big compared to the other houses he went to. But bigger doesn’t always mean better every time. As Fluttershy parked her car inside her garage, she along with her friends and Oliver, exited her vehicle and garage afterwards.

“Aren’t we supposed to drop you guys off?” Oliver wondered.

“We can walk back to our houses, it’s not that far away in this neighborhood.” Connie responded.

“We'll pick you up once Fluttershy leaves.” Garnet said, walking past Oliver. “Consider tomorrow a semi journey then me and Ice Bear babysitting you.”

“Ice Bear can’t do much for one day, but Ice Bear will show the orphan more friends.” Ice Bear commented while heading home. After Oliver had the same supper just before he finally got adopted, tomorrow is just the beginning of his new life.

Fluttershy unlocked her front door, allowing her adopted child inside. “I want to make one thing clear with you.” Fluttershy closing the door behind her. “I’m not your mother.” Oliver knew she would say that, but it didn’t make him feel better, knowing that his parents are gone.

“It’s not like I’m calling you a bad person.” Oliver responded.

Fluttershy felt a heartstring tug, even when she’s relieved that Oliver isn’t calling her out. “Why do you think I’m not someone who can help you? Is it because of the amount of times you kept getting pushed down brutally?”

“Well...mostly but...I never expected you to adopt me. What your friends told me earlier, I’m not sure if I can adapt to it. I haven’t stepped foot into an open neighborhood, nor a town that’s harmless.”

Fluttershy placed her hands on her hips, even if she had the whole day to herself tomorrow, she won’t be able to show Oliver everything about her friends, her job as an animal carer, and how her life is way different compared to others all over the world.

“You don’t even know how wonderful my life is. If I was in your position, I would’ve ended my life earlier. I’m too sensitive to fight back, but being a pacifist isn’t something to ignore.”

Oliver did remember what a pacifist was in one of the classes in the orphanage. “You know, ending your life when you're getting bullied or abused is never gonna work.”

“But Oliver...I knew my parents more than you knew your own. No matter how old I get, I will always have the same disabilities. But that’s never gonna stop me in life.” She went past Oliver while placing her purse on her couch in her living room. “I would go on about this, but it’s getting late and I need to get ready for tomorrow.”

The orphan really wanted to appreciate what Fluttershy is doing, but at the same time, he still couldn’t get used to what he’s dealing with. “Why should I believe you?” He spoke in a serious tone. “I used to trust people who adopted me but now, I can’t even feel what it’s like to have a parent now.”

After Fluttershy listened to Oliver’s tone, she walked up to him while getting on her knees. Giving him a motherly look while wrapping her arms around him. It was the first time Oliver received a hug from someone that actually cared about him. As a matter of fact, it made his heart warm right then and there, during the moment where he felt truly protected.

“I’m nowhere close to being your parent, but you shouldn’t judge me for what I’m doing right now. In a day or week after tonight, you won’t be in this position of trauma anymore. And if it comes back to you, I’ll work as hard as I can to try again.”

Oliver never believed anyone after the lies they made, but from the way Fluttershy spoke to him in the sweetest, most honest tone she could give, it wasn’t a lie. He didn’t remember the last time his mother made a tone that calmed him down or even took him to a place of sanctuary.

He closed his eyes while sinking into the hug from Fluttershy. After about ten seconds, Fluttershy broke the hug while Oliver opened his eyes. “On second thought, I shouldn’t want you to think I’m a judgemental person. It’s kind of unappreciative.”

This gave the shy girl a smile. “I give people the time they need, until they believe they’re ready. Friends don’t always do everything to make themselves better.” She then takes him to her spare bedroom. “And if there’s one thing I’ll always do for you is giving you my speciality, whenever you need it.”

“What’s your speciality?” Oliver turned to Fluttershy after he stepped foot into the room.

“Kindness. And believe me, I can do better.” She closed the door and headed to her bedroom for the night. When Oliver looked at the bedroom itself, it wasn’t decorated with the walls painted in pink even without a tv set up. But once he saw the bed itself, it was filled with stuffed animals with a huge Spinel plushie on the side.

“I never had this many stuffed animals when I was a baby.” He looked at the ground, not remembering the only stuffed animal he hugged at night. “She really does have a thing for kindness when she means it.” He slowly tucked into bed with the stuffed animals around him.

The only stuffed animal that he couldn’t keep his eyes off is the Spinel plushie. It didn’t scare him, but the way the plushie looked happy with shaped hearts as her hair, he thought to himself, she needs kindness just as much as he needs it. While covering himself up with the blankets, he wrapped his arms around the pushie. Even though he's smaller than Spinel, he hugged it tightly, with his cheek touching Spinel’s cheek.

“Maybe spreading kindness isn’t hard, when it’s appropriate.” While he held onto the plushie, he drove himself to sleep while feeling comfortable in the mattress he’s laying on. Then the door was pushed open, revealing Fluttershy again in her pajamas. Upon looking at Oliver, hugging her Spinel plushie she just bought last week, it made her impressed, but also adoring his choice.

If she didn’t give him a hug just minutes ago, he wouldn't do the same. It may be a long time for him to fit in in his new life, but she’ll always be there to keep him safe. And as for the rest of her friends, it would take a while for Oliver to meet them, but it will be better late than ever, to have him learn more of what she experienced.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment