• Published 4th Nov 2020
  • 6,099 Views, 558 Comments

The Emperor Preserves - Centurion Pike-Wall



"If a man dies that another should live, that man's spirit shall eat at the Emperor's table. B-but... what about me?"

  • ...
19
 558
 6,099

33~Night Eternal (PT. 4)

Author's Note:

Imperial Thought of the Day: A coward’s only reward is to live in fear another day.

Anton shot a sneer back up at her, hissing as she continued to press him down. The old wounds on his back roared in agony against the cold, rough stones. She leaned her head down, eyes flashing dangerously. "I shall make this quick, which is more than you deserve for-"

Anton spat, a glob of saliva flying up and slamming into her muzzle, just above her nostrils. While it did nothing in terms of damage, the sheer shock was enough for Anton to wiggle around, getting enough leverage in order to land a kick against her back knee. She stumbled forward, the pressure letting off of his back and allowing him to rise to his hooves.

He yanked his lasgun from its holster, turning around to aim it at Nightmare. Bolts of red light shot out, deflecting off of a swirling blue shield of sorcery the beast conjured up. She retaliated with her own blast, which sailed over him. As another one shot at him, he dove out of the way, keeping up his fire against the beast.

It growled, before sending the shield flying at him. He scrambled to try and get back up, only to stumble and fail, righting himself up into the perfect position to get hit with full force. The immaterial wall slammed into his chest, sending arcs of both pain and numbness at the same time across his face, neck, and chest. He flew back, laspistol falling from his grip and skittering away across the floor. The force pushing back dissipated, just in time for him to smash into the opposing wall of the ruin. He cried out in pain, slumping to the ground with a groan.

"Aquila!", Applejack yelled, drawing both his and Nightmare Moons attention.

She and various mares stood in the door leading into the room, stunned looks on their faces. Anton growled, getting to his hooves again. He could feel the fresh pain and oozing mix of blood and puss staining the fur on his back, but still drew his sword. "Get the Elements!", he cried, flicking on the emitter and casting his Stoney face in a dark blue glow.

"Insolent foal", Nightmare Moon spat, turning back to him. "You think you stand a chance against me?"

"I fear no evil", he said, drawing his knife in another tendril of his aura. "I fear no death." He lowered down, before bursting off his hind legs, charging forward with both weapons outstretched. "THE EMPEROR COMES FOR ME!!"

Nightmare Moon turned to face him, crouching low like a predator about to pounce. Anton closed the distance, thrusting forward with both of his blades towards her chest. At the last second, she disappeared into a shower of mist and sparks. Anton ran through it, skidding to a halt just beyond the cloud, whirling around just in time for Nightmare Moon to rematerialize and deliver a strong kick to his chest.

He stumbled back, and Nightmare Moon seized on the opportunity to rush him. Magic coalesced around her hooves, which came down with frightening speed. Anton was only able to deflect the blows away from himself, barely avoiding being hit by them directly. Instead, they forced his sword to the floor, which fragmented under the impact. The sword was wrenched from his grip, and threw Anton off his hooves once again.

"I suggest you stay down", she threatened, before turning to the others. They stood huddled around the dais the Elements had ended up on, most facing down Nightmare Moon while Twilight faced the elements, horn glowing as she tried to figure out how they worked. Even from his angle, he could see her smirking as her mist began to once again swirl around her.

He forced himself up slightly, grabbing his knife once again. He arced it back, sending it flying forward. The blade sank most of the way into her side, the magical mist dissipating with a cry of pain. Anton used the momentary lapse in the beasts attention to lunge forward, tackling it to the ground.

The combination of being caught off guard and his own momentum allowed him to bring it down, legs kicking widely in alarm. One kick caught him in one of his own legs, though this time he bore the pain and kept his grip. He yanked the knife free from her side, attempting to bring it down on her throat. She surrounded his arm with magic, which kept it in place. Even as he brought the other hoof up, pressing it against the joint to try and bring the blade down towards her, the blade didn't budge even a millimeter. He then heard it; laughter, as cold and cruel as the void of space itself.

Her hoof, freed from any entanglement or panic, came up and struck him in the throat. Air shot out of his throat, the grip on his knife loosening. She stood, the same hoof forcing him down and slamming him to the ground, pinning him. "You little worms. You have no Elements; no spark will work. Surrender now, and I shall let you live to bask in the eternal night!"

The mares stood across from him, eyes either on him or on the towering form of Nightmare Moon. He croaked out, "Duty prevails", trying in vain to grab ahold of his knife. Twilight locked eyes with him, fear shrouding them. However, as they stayed locked, something changed. Twilights eyes twinkled, and her fearful expression suddenly turned hopeful.

"No", Twilight said, stepping forward. "The Elements may be dormant, but the spark to ignite them isn't a literal spark. It's us; we're the spark." As she spoke, the stone spheres began to shudder and shake, before splitting down the middle. Shards emerged from their cores, filing up to float beside one of the other five mares. "Applejack, who reassured me when I was in doubt, represents the spirit of... Honesty! Fluttershy, who tamed the manticore with her compassion, represents the spirit of... Kindness! Pinkie Pie, who banished fear by giggling in the face of danger, represents the spirit of... Laughter! Rarity, who calmed a sorrowful serpent with a meaningful gift represents the spirit of... Generosity! And Rainbow Dash, who could not abandon her friends for her own heart's desire represents the spirit of... Loyalty! The spirits of these five ponies got us through every challenge you threw at us." One by one, each of the mares began to float up, the gems forming colored symbols embossed in golden collars.

"B-but there was no spark! The Elements cannot work!", Nightmare Moon said, something akin to terror in her voice. It brought Anton no shortness of satisfaction, even as he struggled to get air past the hoof pressed to his throat.

"Not quite", Twilight said. "Aquila also showed me how you can never give up, even if the odds are against you. His actions showed me the power that comes from fighting for and standing by your friends. And... you are all my friends. The spark is within us all, which would call forth the last element: The Element... of Magic!"

With a shower of sparkling light, a sixth stone appeared above Twilight's head. It shuddered and shook, before splitting apart and depositing another stone. This one glowed as well, forming into a crown, with another colored symbol embossed in the center. She began to float up as well, joining her friends in a circle of light and visible power. From the ground, twin beams of multi-colored light formed. They reached the ceiling, before swirling together and coming down in a beam of light.

"No", Nightmare Moon said simply, her face stunned. The force on his neck slackened, and Anton was finally able to grab the knife. He tried to force himself up, knife poised to strike her throat, when the light hit.

+++++~+++++

Swirling masses of colors, both every color at once and nothing he had ever seen.

The familiar shape of a Valkyrie interior, though... everything was wrong. The benches roiled and buckled like skin, the doors cackled madly, the guns spat green and blue flames, while those within screamed.

Laughing, both lyrical and clear and nasal and bloodthirsty at the same time.

Then, light. Golden light, as bright as a sun.

The voice stopped. The valkyrie returned to normal. The light grew brighter, and brighter, and then-

Nothing.

And then, he was falling. Through blue skies and thick clouds, a tall mountain with the silhouette of a city in the distance.