• Published 20th Oct 2020
  • 192 Views, 1 Comments

The New Equestria - All Creatures Welcome! - Yosh-E-O



Princess Twilight ushers in a new era of friendship by encouraging immigration from lands apart

  • ...
 1
 192

Chapter 2 - Meet Becky, Swift, And Yosh

It had been quite awhile since Becky had ‘little ones’ in her nest. She was still trying to understand how the beaked dragon was able to run a town. Someone like him looked more fit for Primary School over overseeing a town. Though she knew to mind her manners and decided to let the visit help her understand the dragon-duck through their interactions.

On the other hand, swift was the prime example of a Primary School kid. He was shy, nervous, and staying safe in Becky’s presence through calling her ‘mam’. It was a show of respect, likely taught to him by his parents, but she needed to get him to be more focused on having fun over counting the fibers in her carpet.

“Oh!” cooed the blue-colored Budgin bird. “You both brought backpacks with you? Perhaps there are games you would like to play?”

The dragon-duck, Yosh, blushed.

“I brought snacks, a tablet, crayons, and a pencil to draw pictures,” stated Swift.

Becky smiled.
Ooh!” she chirped with enthusiasm. “My refrigerator could really use some art on it. Perhaps you two can draw some pictures for me at the kitchen table while I bake my Budgin Brownies?”

Yosh gulped.
“Would it be alright if I talked with you while you baked?” he asked nervously. “Canine Crossroads, which is the town I help run with Isabelle, is interested in bringing in some new immigrants to enrich our recently built Medical Center & University.”

Becky thought for a moment and realized she had made a little faux pas in suggesting that the dragon-duck should draw a picture. Not that a blind creature could not do art, but it is probably not the best thing to suggest to someone without sight when meeting them for the first time.
“Do pardon me,” she said nervously. “I-”

“-No worries, Ms. Becky,” Yosh interjected. “I’ve had a lot of help from Spike, Princess Luna, Doodle Noodle, and Isabelle to not get so upset over having lost my eyesight.”

Swift waddled closer and waved his hand-like flipper in front of Yosh’s face.

Yosh smiled.
“I know that is you, Swift,” he giggled. “I’m getting better at identifying how close I am to things along with what creatures I come to meet in my travels.”

Becky was nervous over the young penguin’s sudden burst of curiosity. However it was good to see Swift paying more attention to something beyond the quality of her living room carpet.

“My grandparents don’t see too good,” stated the curious penguin. “Sometimes I help them to not waddle into things in their igloo apartment.”

Yosh reached for Swift and managed to successfully put his hand on the young penguin’s shoulder.
“We all need help sometimes,” he stated. “I normally prefer creatures asking me if I need help before they just take hold of me and move me about as if I’m a lost hatchling.”

Becky felt her cheerfulness return. Her two guests were getting along and she was getting to know both of them by seeing them just talking about each other’s adventures. It was almost enough to bring a tear to the elderly bird as she felt memories of her chicks, their friends, and her grand chicks while she and her husband delighted in the pitter-patter of little feet upon their treehouse nest.

“…What’s that?” Swift asked as Becky found herself paying attention to the duo’s discussion.

Yosh was holding a staff-like stick that had a magnifying lens of sorts positioned on top of it.
“This?” he said while tossing the staff from one hand to the other. “This is my ‘Sight Stick’.”

Swift looked closely at the lens-like orb at the top of the staff.
“It doesn’t look like a magnifying glass?” he questioned. “Looks more like one of the ‘Snow Globe Playgrounds’ back from where I am from.

Yosh held the staff up and towards the curious penguin and pressed on a button that was not seen in Swift’s initial inspection.

CLICK SNAP

There is a penguin that stands about four feet tall approximately one foot away from you.” a voice stated. “Five feet away is a Budgin who stands about two feet taller than you.

“wow!” clapped Swift. “Are you seeing this, Mam?? He has a magical talking stick!”

Becky felt a warm and happy chuckle that she had not felt since her children and grandchildren had grown up. Swift was getting excited over the tool Yosh used and the dragon-duck, who still seemed like a toddler, was delighting in doing some ‘Show And Tell’ with the curious penguin.

“Can I try it?” asked Swift. “I’m sure there has got to be some really cool bugs and other small things I could find with such a cool magnifying glass!”

Becky shuddered at the thought she would ever allow insects to be anywhere in her home outside of her pantry. Though it did give her a better look at what Swift was interested in. Perhaps he wasn’t looking at the floor out of shyness as much as to distract himself by finding something to get his mind to not feel so bashful about meeting her for the first time?

“Sorry, Swift,” Yosh sighed. “In the wrong hands, my ‘Sight Stick’ could be used to do some not so kind things. To prevent this, Princess Celestia, Luna, and Twilight all put a spell on it that will only allow it to be used by me, or Isabelle.”

Swift lowered his flippers and pouted.
“Oh,” he said before perking back up. “How about, if I find something neat, I tell you and you use the magic stick to see it, too, and we both learn new things and stuff?”

Yosh grinned.
“A swell idea,” he replied before looking towards where he felt Becky was still standing. “However I do think we should first take our wonderful host up on those brownies.”

Becky knelt before Swift.
“Would you like to help me make them?” she asked.

Feeling less timid from seeing Yosh’s ‘sight Stick’ coupled with the elder Budgin kneeling to properly face him, Swift felt far more comfortable in taking in the beak, eyes, and other facial features of Becky he had really not allowed himself to look at earlier.
“As long as I don’t get burned,” he said with a bit of concern. “Mommy and daddy don’t want me getting near the stoves and ovens that ponies have. They say I could really hurt my flippers and the heat from one of those burner things is enough to make me have to go to the hospital.”

Becky put a wing upon Swift’s shoulder.
“Don’t you worry,” she said in a very maternal voice. “I’ll take care of the oven while you help me mix and stir the ingredients at the table.”

Swift nodded.

FWUMP
PAP-PAP

Yosh extended out his ‘Sight Stick’ and listened for where the small living room opened up to another part of the apartment.
“Is the table this way?” he asked while pointing very closely to the kitchen table.”

“Golly!” chirped Becky. “Are you sure you can’t see at all?”

Yosh blushed as a smile grew upon his beak.
“I use my mind’s eye,” he proudly replied. “It helps me find what my non-working eyes can’t see.”

***

As the trio got settled into the kitchen, Becky had started to make some observations of her own. The most notable is that Yosh, the mayor of Canine Crossroads, appeared to have a ‘diaper butt’. She also swore she heard a slight rustling sound as the dragon-duck took to the chair opposite of Swift.

“Do you have any other nifty gadgets and gizmos?” asked Swift. “Perhaps anything you wouldn’t mind letting me have so I can do some more exploring? Canterlot has lots of cool bugs, rocks, and other stuff I just got to see and learn about.”

Becky was going to lightly scold Swift for asking Yosh for stuff. However there was no need as the dragon-duck simply said he had left his older visual aids back at Canine Crossroads.
“Here you go, Swift,” she cooed while placing a mixing bowl in front of the penguin. “I’ll let you lick the spoon if you promise not to make a mess.”

“Oh, boy!” the little penguin cheered. “I promise to not make a mess.”

Yosh blushed and shifted in his chair.

“Everything alright, sweetie?” asked Becky. Being in ‘mommy mode’ for so long made her quite familiar with spotting even the slightest of movements, facial expressions, and other childlike behavior.

The dragon-duck broke out in a cold sweat as he shuffled in the chair.
“Might I ask to use your bathroom?” he asked as calmly as he could.

The blue Budgin was prepping to walk Yosh to the bathroom when she remembered that he wasn’t a toddler.
“It’s actually in the room right behind you,” she stated while gesturing her wing towards a closed wooden door. “You should be able to find it easy once you walk in the direction that is behind your chair and use that special stick to give the door a knock.”

Yosh grimaced and groaned as he shuffled out of the chair, held out his stick, and waddled with a spread gate towards the door. He used the tip of the stick’s bottom to determine where the door itself was in comparison to the rest of the wall, desperately reached for the doorknob, found the knob, and let out a bit of a grunt as he quickly made his way into the bathroom.

“I think he pooped his pants,” Swift said softly. “Grown-ups don’t go potty in their pants, right?”

Becky was at a loss for words. However she did remember the bag Yosh had brought in and how it was back in the living room.
“Just a moment, sweetie,” she said to Swift as she retrieved the backpack and proceeded towards the bathroom door.

KNOCK KNOCK

“I don’t want to invade your privacy,” she stated while hearing Yosh’s stick hit upon the other side of the door. “Though my stuff is a bit everywhere in there and I thought you may have something special for cleaning up in your backpack.”

CA-REEK

Yosh’s hand reached out for the bag, Becky handed it to him, and he quickly retreated back into the unlit bathroom.

Swift was curious as to what was going on. However, being a wise and caring old Budgin, Becky quickly redirected the young penguin’s attention back to the task of making coconut brownies with her while leaving Yosh to his business.


End Of Part Two