• Published 24th Dec 2020
  • 429 Views, 14 Comments

How Far - EquestrianKirin



To rescue the princesses, the Elements must face a life-changing gauntlet ...

  • ...
0
 14
 429

Prologue

It was only minutes before sunrise.

On any typical day out in the realm of Equestria, this probably would mean a few things. Somepony early to get in line for Apple Cider Season, or maybe just a rooster waiting for the right moment to signal a call for the morning. Still, many a pony and even most creatures in general were either about to fall asleep or still fast asleep from a full night in their beds in many places all over Equestria, as this time was the most calm. Quiet. And above all else, peaceful.

Yet, this wasn't the case for everywhere in the world. In fact, in the polished city of the mountainside of Canterlot, there was actually a lot of commotion going on for that upcoming dawn. While many wouldn't be up and about until the sun would come up, many aristocrats of the kingdom were keeping themselves awake for a particular event that they've spent ALL DAY yesterday setting up for. Flags and banners spread around between the polished buildings colored either a dark purple or brighter orange, some poles in town having a combined flag of an almost "yin and yang" when it came to light and dark colors, and there was other examples like this all throughout Canterlot.
Amongst these decorations and preparations though, the main focus for the residence was by the balcony of the city, settled on the edge of it looking beyond the lands that lay before it. This spot would normally be ignored by many, but this dawn it was the center of attention by all who were present. Two objects stood proudly to match their place in the sky: one a bright sun, and one a silver crescent moon, both standing side by side like the rulers that had control over each. Once upon a time, this probably wouldn't be so but after many moons of change, things had developed into a much better meaning for this day in turn.

As many were waiting for the big event, others amongst the royal guard were lined up in unison, each guard formed either with the silver coats for the sun or the grey goats for the moon, but all of them joined at once to blow their respected welcoming trumpets for the rulers to come in from the air beyond the banners. Two Ponies rested their hooves down in front of their respected element: one pony with a almost shining white coat with a rainbow flowing behind her from her mane and tail, whereas the other was calmer, dark blue with the very stars of the night flowing within her trail. The two kept their wings spread good and wide as they addressed their subjects, every pony at attention and all ears for what they have to say.

"Welcome, everypony," called upon the taller one, her voice as bold as it was gentle, and loud as it was calm on the ears of everybody who listened to her. "Welcome all to the Summer Sun Celebration. My sister and I know how much every one of you have done to make this possible, and for that, we both thank all of you. As this celebration is given not just for the return of my dear sister ... but the day that one more has stepped forward to take place along our throne!"

They all knew much well what she was referring to, and all Ponies made sure their applause was heard loud and clear as a third, much younger royal brought herself up onto the platform from behind them, her hooves settling as well as she could in between the royals, her coat almost seemingly mixing the dark and light coats of the two sisters in her lavender fur and dark purple smoothed mane, her own wings spread out alongside the two. Some Ponies cheered more loudly than others, some which this lavender Alicorn knew well from miles away. She took a deep inhale before she addressed the Ponies in front.

"Remember the speech. Remember the speech," she thought to herself, just before her muzzle started speaking.

"Everypony, these last three years had been the most revolutionary Equestria has ever seen. And in just half a year we've not only made it pass the Windigo invasion onto Equestria, but brought together our friendship with not just ourselves but races outside too. As the Princess of Friendship, let's make sure Equestria's friendship with the world shines brighter than it's ever had before!"

Typically there would be an applaud right after that, but there was a bit of silence that went over the crowd, but not because none of them appreciated the speech. Instead, they were silenced because the Princesses were ready to continue the celebration with their display: the first two Alicorns took to the air, their horns glowing a soft hue of their own magical essence. The shorter one had her wings and hooves raised high up, bringing them down slow, whereas the larger one did the opposite and had both wings and hooves low and bringing them up high. All in coordinate to the moon and the sun overhead right behind them. The third one flew off a ways out of sight, but if this was anything like the lat two then everypony knew what was coming next.
Ever so slowly, the orb of the night began to move downwards in a steady pace matching both wing and hoof movements almost as if the Alicorn was holding it in her grasp. The color of the sky turned from dark to a shade of purple slowly as the sun began to rise up from the distance. A spectacle to behold for anypony watching the event and having a front row seat, but there was one more special event that accompanied this celebration.

And that came the very second the moon and sun aligned with eachother.

*BOOM!*

In a loud echo of her own magic, the third Alicorn rushed in from out of nowhere, and released a almighty powerful, magical version of the sonic rainboom in its wake. A huge light of purple magic exploded in her wake, leaving behind a very symbol of her own Cutie Mark stretching across so wide it could engulf all of Canterlot. NOW came the applause she was waiting for rang out across Canterlot as everypony cheered for the event. Another year with another glorious send off as the sun was lifted high up into the sky for another day in Equestria.

"WOO! GO TWILIGHT!" shouted a voice from the crowd.

"Well done out there! So stunning!" shouted another.

Other praises by many a pony were passed around as all three Princesses then flew off into the sky. They'll happily join the group down below later, but for now the Alicorns flew off towards the palace to get themselves settled some more. They have all day to do the fun stuff anyway now that day's actually come. All three Alicorns went right into the Canterlot castle, and while the first two settled down all calm and collected, the third one ... well ...

"OOOHOHOHO!" Twilight sighed, ALL of that stress finally coming out, "Nothing went wrong, nothing messed up, everything went EXACTLY how it should! Thank Celestia!"
Twilight actually fell onto her stomach in relief that nothing went wrong this time. The two Alicorns looked back and helped Twilight back up onto her hooves.

"Twilight, we did promise nothing bad would happen this time, and that's exactly what happened today," Celestia reminded.

"I know, it just ... hasn't had the best record," Twilight reminded sheepishly, which ... would be weird if not true. from Nightmare Moon's return to the Plunder Vines Discord left so many moons ago, the Summer Sun Celebration always seemed to go wrong one way or another, at least before the big event they pulled off.

"Which is why we've made absolutely sure this time that our defenses are at their best," Luna proposed, walking over towards the castle windows outside.
Twilight took a look outside with her, and saw that not only were there plenty of residents out there, but a good amount of royal guard as well aligning the city, spears at the ready and eyes taking a look around for ANYTHING even remotely suspicious. Twilight saw all this going on and took a minute to bring her hoof up to her chest in one breath, and bring it out at the other.

"O-Ok, maybe I'm being a little too worried," Twilight admitted, only to make both Alicorns by her chuckle to her.

"We understand your concerns, Twilight, but you also know that with as many threats that arrive in Equestria, there had been just as many victories too. I don't think there's anypony else who deserves this than you," Celestia said, taking a small moment to look over to her younger sister. An Alicorn once banished off to the moon now standing by her side all over again.

Twilight took another breath. "... Yeah, you're right. It's a party, not a military base. Thanks."

"Think nothing of it, Twilight. In fact, isn't there somepony that's supposed to meet up with you after the main event?" Celestia reminded. The smile that came up on Celestia's muzzle though told Twilight that she already knew what was what, even if the Alicorn still ended up jumping into the air, already flying.

"That's right, Cadance is supposed to be with us this year! Thanks again Celestia, Luna, but I have to go," Twilight said, and surprisingly before Celestia and Luna could say anything else, the young Alicorn raced off and took flight right out of the Canterlot castle window. Her sister-in-law can't keep waiting same as the princesses themselves can't wait (even if they all understood). Celestia and Luna looked to one another before chuckling.

"Sister, you know Cadance doesn't arrive for another half an hour," Luna reminded with a smirk across her face. Celestia chuckled.

"I know, but she won't go off on her own without our say anyway. Besides, dear sister," and Celestia said this while looking out to the celebration of a new day in Equestria, "This is a new year for all of us. We all should enjoy it at it's best."

On that remark Luna actually nudged her older sister, "That means you'll be first in line for the celebration cake?"

Celestia froze.

"W-Well, now, let's not be too hasty," Celestia quickly said dismissively. However, Luna simply looked to her older sister with one of those knowing smirks across her muzzle. ...

"... Did they make it yet?"

"I had the chef's reserve a slice for you," Luna remarked. Celestia actually gave her sister a hug.

"You've grown so much," Celestia said. Luna just decided to roll with it. Even after thousands of years, her older sister still had a sweet tooth. Speaking of reservations, by the time the two were done with this little moment, the doors to the throne room swung open as the royal messenger pony trotted in with a pair of guards accompanying her. In her muzzle was what looked like a scroll of sorts, wrapped up tight and everything.

"Your majesty, this is for you," the messenger pony said, bowing her head as Celestia levitated the scroll from her.

"Oh, thank you. I'll take care of this, you go and enjoy the celebration," Celestia said, as she began to open up the scroll to see what the information was. Luna nodded to her, and with the words of reassurance, she joined the guards and messenger in walking out of the throne room. Celestia will join them later on for sure, she only had to check this scroll first ...

.......

Back outside, Twilight flew right back to the festivities below her. With her main duties finished up for the festival, the Alicorn had the opportunity to finally relax with her friends. As soon as she can find her, which at this point shouldn't be that hard.
It only took the Alicorn a few more flaps of the wings before she looked down and began to recognize a couple of ponies down there waiting for her. One silver-furred Unicorn, alongside a pair of Pegesi; one a humbled yellow and the other a vibrant sky blue, and a pair of Earth Ponies; one casual yet stern orange and the other one party-colored and one of the Ponies that shouted Twilight's way earlier. Twilight's circle of friends thick and thin, ever since she moved to Ponyville what felt like too long ago. She could tell Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Applejack from a mile away.

"There she is. Twilight, come on down here!" Applejack called, inviting their princess down to them. Alicorn Twilight Sparkle landed right by the group with a smile across her muzzle.

"Darling, you simply looked magnificent out there," Rarity complimented as Twilight took a seat by them all.

"Thanks, girls. I'm just glad it all went well this time. No surprise villains, no major threats, just a casual Summer Sun Celebration," Twilight replied in relief.

"I think you're the only pony who calls the "Summer Sun Celebration" casual," chuckled Applejack, though honestly they can't blame her for thinking that. Who knew her struggles better than her friends anyway?

"Yeah! What other day can we see the sun AND the moon together in the sky without the world exploding?" Pinkie added.

A bit weird, but they got the point.

But, for how much they've gone through, they are the Elements of Harmony after all. The world decided they were the savior of the world, which means fate had different plans ...

"Girls. The sky's changing! ..." Fluttershy gasped.

The entire celebration slowly began to stop. All Ponies that were once chatting away just moments ago now stopped in pause as they moved their gaze up to the sky. The skies above were changing on them all, and not in a way that even the princesses themselves were seemingly expecting. High up in the sky, they were seeing the sun AND the moon begin to shift all on their own, the bright orb moving downwards from its spot high in the sky without any control of anypony else, whereas the moon was suddenly being lifted up from the ground below into the sky.
Neither of them stopped moving until they both were lined up perfectly beside eachother right there in the sky. On one side with the sun the sky was very bright and light blue, whereas the moon side was a calm purple with stars still up with the moon. Dawn was split right in the middle, where Canterlot stood. They've only seen this once before, but it was unmistakable.

"Is that the sun AND the moon?" asked one Pony

"Why're they both up?" wondered another.

But a third pony nailed the major problem right on the head.

"What're Celestia and Luna doing?"

"Celestia? ... Oh no, the princesses!" Twilight gasped.

Almost before any of them could realize it, Twilight had already suddenly teleported away. The rest of the Ponies were almost blown back by the force of this teleport, but none of them were going to question what was going on here if they still remembered LAST TIME this happened.

~~~~~~

"CELESTIA! LUNA! WHERE'RE YOU?!"

No answer was given to Twilight's calls as she scrambled around all over the palace walls for any signs of the sun and moon Alicorns. Even at full flight, with teleportation to boot, the speed wasn't enough for her to locate where they could've gone to. Since the sun and moon rose up themselves, everypony in the palace was quick to go on edge, and looked all over the palace walls for any signs, only to not have much luck. Every royal guard and every servant within the walls searched from the top floors to the bottom floors, but no matter where they looked clues were hard to come by.
The rest of the Elements of Harmony were looking wherever they could too: Rainbow Dash doing her recon outside of the city, Rarity and Fluttershy looking along the personal chambers of the castle, Twilight and Applejack looking around the main areas, and Pinkie ... doing who knows what.

About an hour went by, though it was hard to tell since time basically stopped, before everypony returned to the final place where they saw either one of the princesses at. Twilight was left pacing back and forth like a paranoid mare as her friends came right back to her.

"PLEASE tell me you found something," Twilight said. Unfortunately the looks on their faces confirmed the bad news for everypony involved.

"I flew from one end of Canterlot to the other, and I got nothing to show for it," groaned Rainbow Dash.

"The castle didn't turn up anything either. It's as if the two just up and disappeared," admitted Applejack. That did NOT make the Alicorn feel better by a long shot.

"I knew it, I KNEW something would happen to them today, WHY didn't I take it more seriously?! Celestia and Luna are gone again from right under our noses, and nopony knows how!" Twilight recapped in worry. Twilight sat down and started nibbling away at her front hoofnails as she thought of the worst case scenario yet again as the others began heading over towards her.

"Twilight, there there, now's not the time to start Twilight-ing again. We'll find them, I can guarantee it," Rarity reassured her, though Twilight could've gone without the new verb everypony was using.

"Grr, I know, I'm just so frustrated! How many times has this happened before and it STILL happens," Twilight admitted.

"Eh, you're right there, but hey we always got them back: Nightmare Moon, Discord - oh wait, that doesn't count. OH, Chrysalis does, and Tirek, and Chrysalis again, and the Storm King -"

"I think we all get the point Pinkie Pie," Rainbow Dash said, getting the pink mare to stop before she could monologue the next hour away. Still, it did help Twilight calm down somewhat, but the major problem still left the princess of Equestria on edge.

"Ok, ok. But what's the danger this time? Didn't ANYPONY see anything come in and take them away?" Twilight asked.

*knock**knock**knock*

Everypony in the throne room stopped what they were thinking and turned right over towards the front door. What they found standing there wasn't a royal guard, servant, or even any familiar face of Canterlot Castle. In fact, this Pony had its face covered up in a fairly large cloak, dragging down behind it and leaving only the mouth exposed. It just stood there, everypony seeing her plain as day. And ...

"Hello creepy pony standing in the corner of the room," said Pinkie Pie, "We're in the middle of a big investigation, so can your evil plans wait for just a few minutes?"

The pony didn't respond, and instead walked forward a few steps.

"Alright, who're you?! And what have you done to the princesses?!" Twilight demanded. Her voice made the pony stop, aiming the snout to the Alicorn.

... Thou possess the Alicorns' wings. Art thou also an Alicorn? ...

All the Ponies felt a shiver run down their backs (Pinkie literally shaking). That voice didn't sound like a mare OR a stallion, but sort of a mix between the two. Two voices talking at once.

"Y-Yes? That's not exactly a secret, now answer the question please!"

... I am only one of many. Together. We are Dormin. ...

"Dormin?! NO, not Dormin! ... Question?"

The pony actually chuckled. Thou wouldn't know of us. We're not one with this world ...

"Well whatever you are, or wherever you're from, you better cough up the Princesses or we'll just get them from ya!" Rainbow Dash warned, hooves up and at the ready. They've been around this rodeo enough times to know the signs of any evil-doer.

How does thou know it would be us? ...

"It's kinda obvious. A Creepy pony standin in a cloak showin up right after the princesses go missin? It's doesn't take much to figure that out, sorry," Applejack said.

"True, dear, it isn't exactly the smartest move," agreed Rarity.

But this was when Dormin threw a curve ball, and actually nodded in agreement before smiling.

... Is it? After all, we wanted thou to know. ...

"You ... wanted us to know it was you?" Fluttershy asked, confused. Dormin nodded slowly and raised their head slow, just high enough to see a pair of very pale white eyes from the darkness of the cloak. And they didn't even look like eyes if not two glowing dots. Fluttershy cowered behind her friends seeing that gaze.

"Well you've done it, so why don't you just give em back before things get worse?" Applejack asked. Dormin shook their head.

We would ... but we can't. Not yet. We have grown so weak over countless moons, our powers just ... aren't strong enough.

NONE of them liked that news.

"WHAT?! Ok, THAT'S IT, PUT EM UP!" Rainbow suddenly flew head long right for Dormin at full speed. For Dormin, they didn't need to use any magic or enhancements to deal with this Pegasus, and probably knew what would happen next because they didn't move as Twilight just narrowly got hold of Rainbow's tail before she could clobber them.

"Rainbow, don't, that won't help anypony!"

"WHY NOT?! Clearly she's lying! E-Er, he? Whatever," Rainbow Dash said, forcing her to let go of her tail.

"Obviously, but beating her up won't get them back either!" Twilight retorted.

The scroll.

The ponies stopped and looked to the figure again, this time seeing Dormin walking right towards them, and towards the thrones.

"Eh, come again?" Twilight asked. Not even afraid of the Elements, Dormin moved right passed them, and only stopped once they stood right by the throne, in particular where Celestia was standing. All they did was lower their head, and picked up the same scroll Celestia had.

Your ruler of thou's sun read this scroll. Which created the rift between thou's world, and ours. A simple trap, as it is successful. ... Though, we don't have the power to reverse it. ... For now.

"What do you mean "for now"?" questioned Applejack.

The smile that appeared on Dormin's muzzle was enough to make them suddenly see the writing on the wall.

"We're not helping you get stronger, Dormin. We'll get them back WITHOUT a deal from you."

... Even at thou's cost of the moon and sun? questioned Dormin. Before anypony could just jump them, they raised a long hoof towards the windows outside, reminding them all of the threat the two orbs would bring.

The more time's spent on what it takes, the longer your world will be at risk. ... This is thou's swiftest way of bringing your keepers back. ... That is, of course, if thou manage to accomplish what we askith.

OOF. Blackmail was never a good thing, and circumstances really seemed to push them into going with Dormin's deal.

"Do we have to?" asked an unamused Rainbow Dash.

"I don't think we got a choice. Besides, none of us know where that Dormin put the princesses," Applejack reminded. They glanced back towards Dormin, who was standing there patiently for an answer.

"So? Make him say it. Er her. Is that pony a mare or a stallion?"

Thou's princesses are safe. In the ends of the world they're kept secret. ... And it is there thou art to aid us in our favor. explained Dormin.

They weren't sure either to find that extremely dumb or extremely confident of Dormin, yet that still hardly helped them out. Looking back outside again at the sun and moon, Twilight began to imagine how horrifying it'll be if they don't fix this as soon as possible, and if Dormin has the method quickest to do so ...

"Ok, Dormin. What do you want?" Twilight finally asked, reluctantly.

Dormin didn't answer at first, but instead they moved out towards the center of the throne room. Everypony readied for whatever Dormin had up their cloak, but they had to keep themselves down somewhat. As for Dormin, they remain still at the center of the room, as a darkened mist began to emit from their cloak, and moved out along the floor.
It started off slow, crawling speed, but at another moment they went at lightning speed over each and every single window and corner they could reach, making the Mane Six scatter to avoid some of the darkness stretching around the place. This was a more controlled spread though as the mist kept in specific lines and shapes, as the blackened fog started to morph into what looked like figures along the wall side.

They also slammed the doors to the throne room shut just as the guards were finding out what was going on in there. You know, so they won't get interrupted.

Behold the idols along the walls. Dormin explained. Our world is built with these idols. Thou's goal is to destroy all of them for us.

"... And ... that's it?" asked Twilight. Naturally Dormin shook their head.

No. Those idols can not be destroyed by strength of one mere mortal. Look closer.

So they do, each pony looking at each of the idols Dormin's remaining power was showing. However, even with that they still turned to Dormin with confusion.

"Still not quite following," Rarity admitted.

There're monsters. Colossi. That plague our kingdom. It used to be a thriving world, now laid to silence. And those idols art the locks to our full power. With them standing, our power is weak, and we're unable to reclaim our kingdom back. ... But thou has triumphed many before. Thou's able to help us reclaim our lost power.

The Mane Six paused to think about what Dormin was saying. Usually somepony like Dormin would go after Equestria or something, but this seemed almost backwards. In fact the whole thing seemed different from the typical villain's approach, if he truly was one.

"So. You want us to go and handle them monsters for you, so you can get your kingdom back," concluded Applejack.

Dormin nodded.

"Then why'd you take away Celestia and Luna first? You could've just asked us if THAT'S all you want us to do," Twilight stated in disbelief.

Thou will understand in time. ... Meanwhile ...
Dormin stepped towards the scroll, and with a gentle nudge from their snout, rolled it right over to Twilight's hooves, unrolling and opening right then and there. Twilight levitated the scroll and gave it a look over. Dormin slowly moved over towards them as they did this.

"Now, Dormin, just to clarify for us, where exactly will this take us to? To where the princesses are?" Rarity said, not needing to finish the actual sentence to get the point across. Dormin though shook their head.

The Forbidden Lands is where thou'll seek the Colossi. All must be destroyed and then. Only then. Will thou receive the reward. Dormin explained. No that didn't answer Rarity's question, but for now it's all that they had. Dormin stood their patiently for their reply, none of them able to tell if they are hoping or not. After some more consideration, the Elements of Harmony turned to their mysterious kidnapper.

"We have to go get them back. If we don't Equestria's going to be one-sided forever," Twilight concluded. Not the best reality, but reality none the less. Dormin started moving aside as the Elements of Harmony all moved towards the center of the room.

"So how do we do this?" asked Twilight, looking back to Dormin.

Thou simply must read the scroll ... only read ... replied Dormin.

Well if it were that simple. Everypony came close together as Twilight levitated their scroll up. Celestia and Luna were out there, and they couldn't wait a moment longer. Twilight cleared her throat and began looking over the words. However, as she was doing this, something ... strange was happening to her horn.
She didn't even need to speak, yet Twilight's horn was already glowing.

"Twilight?" asked Pinkie. But the Alicorn didn't respond to her friends as the scroll suddenly dropped down onto the floor in front of her. Standing there, blankly looking ahead, her eyes were glowing a faint darkened shimmer, as her horn glowed a more ominous spiral of shadowy grey. They knew Twilight was talking, but her words weren't anything they could understand, suddenly speaking in a very warped echo. It was enough to make them all back up, but the power that Twilight had unleashed wasn't going to let them all just leave so easily. Underneath their hooves, the magic flowing out from her horn started to cover and cloak the ground in a spider's web of dark magic, blocking any means of escape for any of the mares. They tried getting out of the circle, but this spell also included a barrier keeping them trapped.

"O-Ok Twilight, time to calm down!" Rainbow said, nudging Twilight a bit, but once again the mare wasn't stopping.

Thou'll return ... once the spell is fully completed. informed Dormin, as they took a few steps onto the circle without any effort.

"Stop being cryptic and just tell us what's going on!" Rainbow shouted.

But there wasn't much time to actually explain anymore. As Twilight finally finsihed talking, the magic around them stretched upward, trapping them all including Dormin, inside a darkened orb. All they could do now was just sit there and take it, the orb spiraling in the air for a good three seconds in a whirlwind, before shrinking down until there wasn't even a spec of it left. As for the rest of the magic, it too began to disappear all around the room, any trace of statues or webbing began to vanish.

"OPEN UP!"

And just as well, the door was finally freed. The guards slammed right through, stumbling into the throne room and ready for any attack on the castle now, but it was far too late to do anything. No Elements of Harmony. No Twilight Sparkle. Nothing left behind except a single scroll left on the floor.

It's as if nopony was ever in the throne room at all. ...

So it begins...