• Published 6th Nov 2020
  • 4,080 Views, 84 Comments

A New Beginning Sunsets Second Chance - Drekoswordhunter



After everything she's done. She believes she deserve all the pain she has . Until her new friends and family show her how wrong she is.

  • ...
9
 84
 4,080

Chapter 15

Sunset awoke early Saturday morning, still thinking about the time she spent Fluttershy the day before. Sunset felt like her friendship with Fluttershy was much stronger now that they've come to terms with what happened in the past. And now she was hoping the same thing will happen with The other girls too. Now she was really looking forward to the time she was going to spend with Rarity later today, as well as the party tomorrow. But before that could happen....

"Are you ready to go kiddo?" Tempest said as she stood in the door way of Sunsets room.

"Yep," replied Sunset.

Sunset was going with Tempest to the DMV to get her a id card as well as her own copy of the driver's manual. Sunset was wearing some of Luna old clothes today. She was wearing long jeans, black and white tenashoes, a black tanktop, and a blue flannel shirt. She also tied hair up into a ponytail. Tempest was wearing long dark blue jeans and a leather jacket.

Sunset quietly followed Tempest to they garage so they wouldn't wake Luna.
Inside the garage was Luna's car, Tempest's van, and a motorcycle with a sidecar attached to it.

"Wow! It's so cool," Sunset said looking at the motorcycle. She couldn't wait till she got the chance to drive it.

"Yep she's a beauty," Tempest said in agreement, "I've had her for a long time now," She said as she handed Sunset Luna's helmet to wear until she got her own.

Tempest put on her helmet and got on her bike. Sunset hopped into the side car while Tempest started her The motorcycle. It started on the first try and then they pulled out of the garage and down the street. Sunset loved The feel of the wind blowing passed her as they drove down the street. Before she realized it they had arrived at the DMV.

It was still early and the sun was beginning to rise when they got there, but there was already a line beginning form at the front of the DMV. It was still going to be another half hour before they opened so they quickly got in line before it got any longer. By the time the DMV did open the line had doubled in size.

"Is this why we had to come early?" Sunset asked.

"Yes, I don't how but the DMV is always crazy busy."

"How long do you think we'll be in here?"

"A couple of hours, probably?" Tempest said unsure.

So Sunset passed the time by reading the driver's manual she got when they were finally inside. Anything to keep her mind off the fact that she was in a government building. Sunset was still nervous about being in a government building. She had always avoided them since she was from another world.

***

"Finally!" Sunset said as they walked out of DMV, "I can't believe it took so long to get this little piece of plastic."

"Wait till you have to take the test," Tempest teased, "You'll be in there even longer."

"Oh God. I don't what to even begin to think about that."

Tempest looks at her phone to check The time, "We still have some time. Do you what to go get something quick to eat before going to your friends house? "

"Sure." Sunset said. It was early when they left this morning so she hadn't had anything to eat yet.

Tempest drives them to the nearest coffee shop. They both get a cup of coffee and a muffin. While they are there Sunset tells her about the previous day with Fluttershy.

"Well I'm glad you two were able to share your feelings with each other," Tempest said happily, " I'm a little jealous. "

"Why?" Sunset asked curiously.

"Well kiddo, Luna doesn't talk about her past. Even thou I've told her about mine." Tempest explained,"All I know is that something happened to her before we meet and she keeps that part of her life walled off from everyone who doesn't already know about it. "

"Maybe she'll tell us about it someday ."

"Ya, maybe she will."

A moment passed before Sunset asked, " So how did you two meet? "

"Sorry kiddo, as much as I'd like to till you. I can't."

"Why not?"

"Because what ever happened in Luna's past, it's what led to us meeting and since I don't know much about it I can't till you about it. That goes the same for my past. And beside we don't have time for it."

Sunset glanced at the clock on her phone, "Ya you right we better get going!"

***
Sunset arrives at Rarity's house. Her house was average in size but it look glamorous like a mansion. She waves goodbye to Tempest as she drives away. Once Tempest is out of sight she walks up to Rarity's house and rings the door bell.

The door was opened by Rarity's little sister Sweetie Belle a few minutes later.

"Hello who is... " was all Sweetie belle managed to say as she got a good look at who was at the door.

" Hello I'm here to --"

SLAM! Sweetie belle slammed the door shut in Sunsets face.

*I guess I should have seen that coming.*

***********

Rarity was in her room getting ready for Sunsets arrival. She had been looking forward to it all morning. She was a little worried about how things would go but she had faith that things would go well.

Suddenly her sister, Sweetie Belle came running into her room.

"Rarity you wont-"

"Sweetie belle, how many times have I told to knock before entering my room," Rarity reprimanded her.

"But your not going to believe this!" Sweetie said ignoring her sisters remark, "Sunset Shimmer is at our front door!"

"Oh good she's here!" Rarity said excitingly.

"Wait you invited her?" Sweetie questioned while looking at her sister as if she was crazy, "Why would you do that?"

"Because she my friend." Rarity said proudly, " Did you let her in? "

"No! why would I let the school bully into our house."

"Sweetie Belle! How can you be so rude to my friend!" Rarity said disappointingly.

Rarity quickly got up to leave her room but as she exit the room she says to her sister, "And for the record she not a bully anymore."

Rarity quickly made her way down the hall, down the stairs, and thru the living room to reach the front door. When she openned the door, she found Sunset sitting on the porch steps with her head in her knees.

Rarity walks up closer to her and places her hand on Sunset s shoulder "Sunset?"

Sunset looks up at Rarity with a few tears in her eyes.

"Rarity?" Sunset surprised as she quickly wipes away her tears with her shirt sleeve.

Rarity sits down on the porch next to her. "Are you ok, Sunset? I'm sorry about Sweetie Belle. It's my fault I didn't think it was necessary to tell her that you were coming over."

"It's ok. I probably deserved it to some extent."

"Darling, that still doesn't make it right," Rarity said honesty, "Why do we go inside."

"Ok." Sunset says before following Rarity inside her house.

Rarity's house was as glamorous inside as it was outside. There were family photos and paintings in the walls. One thing sunset notice was the absences of Rarity s parents.

"Is it just you and your sister here?"

"For the moment. My parents went out to run a few errands. They'll be back later."

"Oh ok." Sunset said as they went upstairs to Rarity s room.

As they made their way to Rarity s room they passed sweetie belles room. Sweetie gave Sunset a mean look before closing the door to her room. They finally arrived at Rarity s room at the end of the hallway. She steps into Rarity s room to find a big bed with a beautiful diamond pattern on the sheets and a white cat laying in top. There was a large dresser on one side of the bed and a large desk with a sewing machine on it on the other side of the room. At the back of the room was large vanity mirror next to the walk-in closet. Sunset sat down on the bed while Rarity walk over to her desk. The white cat walk over and started rub up against Sunset. Sunset pet her and she purr in return before laying down next to her.

"Well I see Opalescence likes you, " Rarity said cheerfully.

"So we're should we start?" asked Sunset as she continued to pet Opalescence.

"Well I have a few designs already thought out, but I'm having trouble with the Reaper's costume." Rarity handed Sunset some of her designs.

"Reaper? What kind of Halloween play is this?"

"It's call Love Beyond Death. It's about a grimm reaper, who is sent to take the soul of a beautiful woman. But he instantly falls in love with her. The reaper then protects her from the other reaper's trying to take her soul."

"Wow that sounds interesting. How does it end?" Sunset asked curiously.

"You will have to watch the play to find out, Darling," Rarity teased.

They then spent the next few hours working on the reaper's costume design as well as tweaking a few of the other designs with Sunset suggestions.

"Well I've worked up an appetite," Rarity announced, "What about you darling do you want a snack? "

"That sounds like a good idea. "

The two of them left Rarity s room and made the way downstairs to the kitchen. Rarity took out some of her strawberries for them to share. They ate on them for few minutes till someone from outside the kitchen called out to them.

"Rarity is that you in the kitchen?" a woman's voice call out.

"Yes mother, Sunset and I were just having a snack."

"Can you two come to the living room?" a male voice called out.

"Sure."

Sunset and Rarity walked in to the living room to find Rarity's parents, Hondo Flanks and Cookie Crumbles as well as Sweetie Belle.

"When did you get back? " asked Rarity

"About 20 minutes ago," answered Cookie.

" Oh I should introduce you to my new friend Sunset-"

"Shimmer." Hondo finishing her sentence with a disappointing tone, "Yes Sweetie Belle was just telling us about her."

Rarity and Sunset glanced at each other worryingly.

"Just what did my dear sister tell you."

"That she's a bully and the reason you and your friends broke up." replied Cookie.

"That's true but-"

"What I can figure out is why you brought her here," Hondo said once again cutting her daughter off.

"As I've already stated, she's my friend now and she's not a bully anymore."

"Well we don't approve of you being friends with a bully," Hondo raised his hand before Rarity could interrupt, " It doesn't matter if she still is or not. "

"This is what we believe is best," Cookie said agreeing with her husband.

"But that's not fair to Sunset or me," Rarity countered.

"That's not your decision to make." Hondo said putting his foot down.

" But-"

Sunset thought to herself as they continued to argue, *I'm causing trouble for my friends again.* Sunset decided to finally speak up before this gets dragged out any further.

"I really am sorry for the things I've done and I'm trying to make amends. But if my being here is causing too much trouble, I can leave."

"Sunset, You don't have to-"

"I think that would be best." declared Cookie.

"Mom you can't-"

"Don't argue with your mother."

"It's ok Rarity, I'll be fine" Sunset said trying reassure her friend as well as herself.

Sunset leaves the room to get her things from Rarity s room.

When she came back downstairs, She went straight to the door without saying anything to anyone. She walked out the door and slowly down the driveway. A moment later she hears a car horn.

Honk! honk!

Sunset turns around to see a car pulling out of the garage. It was a silver mustang. It pulls up next to Sunset and when the window rolls down she sees Rarity in the driver seat.

"Rarity what are you doing?"

"What? You didn't think I was going to let you walk home alone did you?"

"No I was going to call Luna or Tempest for a ride."

"Where you really?"

Sunset sighed, "No your right. I wasn't going to call them."

"Then hop on in and I'll give you ride home."

"Thanks Rarity. Thanks for standing up for me." Sunset said getting into the car.

"Darling, I would stand up to Tartarus itself if it was for my friends." Rarity said with conviction.

"And I'm sorry about Sweetie Belle and my parents."

"It's ok. I've learned that not everyones going to let go of the past so easy."

It was quiet for moment before Rarity tried to lighten the mood, " Hey instead of taking you home, why don't we see if any of our friends want to hang out? "

"Sure. I'm not ready to go home yet anyways."

So Rarity sends out a group text to there friends. After a few minutes they got some answers.

"So what did they say?" Sunset asked as Rarity began to read the text messages .

"No answer from Rainbow Dash. No surprise there. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy are both busy. Applejack is busy too, but she said we can come over and help her out if we wanted to. "

"Well I did tell her that I wanted to help her out of she needed it. So lets give her a hand."

****

About an hour later they arrived at Sweet Apple Acres. They find Applejack unloading her truck filled with baskets of apples with her dog Winona following her. She stops to wave to them as they pulled up into the driveway. When they get out, Winona runs up to them to say hi. Sunset kneels down to pet her as Applejack joins them.

"Well thanks for coming up to help Sugers." Greeted Applejack.

"It's no problem," said Sunset still letting Winona, " I made a promise to you after all. So what can we do to help? "

"Well I could use a hand out in the orchard and Granny could use some help in the kitchen making some Apple treats."

"Where's Big Mac and Applebloom?" asked Rarity.

"Big Mac's with some friends playing Ogres & Oubliettes and Applebloom's working on a school project."

"I'll help you out in the orchard," said Sunset as she stood back up.

"Then I'll help Granny," replied Rarity.

"Well then follow me Sunset."

Rarity heads inside the house while Sunset follows Applejack to her truck. It was an old and rusted, but was still good enough to use on the farm. They finished unloading the truck before load up some empty baskets on to the truck. They get in and Applejack drives the truck down a path thru the apple orchard. Applejack stops the truck once they arrive at there destination. She turns off the truck and they get out.

Sunset is amazed at the shear size of the orchard. There were apple trees as far as her eyes could see.

"So are you ready for some apple picking?" asked Applejack as she grabs some of the baskets from the back of the truck.

"Ya, but isn't this a lot to do by yourself?" Sunset asked concerned.

"Yes, but normally I'm not doing this alone. Honesty, Granny told me not to work too hard since I'm by myself, but I'll admit that I'm probably doing more than I really need to."

"Why's that? "

"Because I'm not going to be able to help out tomorrow."

"Because of the party?"

" Bingo. Plus I don't skip out on farm work very often." Applejack explained as they walk to the nearest apple tree.

Sunset looks up at the tree and asks, " So what do we do first? "

"Well, " Applejack says as she hand Sunset a basket, "We pick the apples we can get from the ground and come back later with ladder to get the rest. Once the baskets are filled we load them up and take them back to the house."

"Sounds simple enough."

So Applejack and Sunset picked apples for the next few hours. Once they finished loading up the truck for the last time they were ready call it a day and head back to the house. But Applejack decided she wanted to show Sunset something first. So she drove deeper in to the orchard.

"Where are we going?" Sunset asked when she realized they weren't heading back to the house.

"To the far end of the orchard. There something there I want to show you."

"What is it?"

"You'll see."

After a few minutes of driving they arrived at a clearing. In the middle of the clearing was a pair of trees intertwined in the shape of a heart.

"Wow." Sunset said amazed by the two trees. She had never seen anything like it before.

Sunset got out to get a closer look. Upon further inspection one tree was an Apple tree the other day was a pear tree. Sunset was surprised since the Apple family was known for there Apples and it's the only pear tree she had seen in the orchard.

"My parents planted these trees." said Applejack before Sunset could ask, "The Apple tree represents my dad and the pear tree is my mom. They planted these as a symbol of there love."

"But why a pear tree?"

"My mom came from a pear family that use to complete with us in fruit sales." Applejack smiled sadly as she remembered the story she had been told since she was a child.

"They first met when they were kids and over time the fell in love. They had to get married in secret but it didn't take long for Granny and Grandpear to find out. Granny was against it at first."

"Because she was a pear?"

"Right. But Granny cared more about dad's happiness then her rivalry with the pears, so she welcomed mom to the family with open arms. To bad the same couldn't be said for Grandpear. He hated the apples so much he left town and abandoned his daughter. A few years ago he came back and made amends with the family, but my parents were already gone by then."

" What happened?"

"A car wreck." Applejack said as few tears fell down her face. "They were on there way to a nearby town to sell some apples, when they got ran off the road by a drunk driver."

"Oh I'm sorry." Sunset said sincerely.

"It's ok, " she said wiping away the tears, "This tree is one of two things I have to remember them by."

"What's the other?"

"My hat." Applejack replied taking off her hat to show her a name tag inside that read "Bright Mac" on it. "This was my dad's hat."

"Sounds like they were pretty good people."

"Ya they were." Applejack says as she puts her hat back on, "But that's not the only thing I wanted to show you."

Applejack got Sunset to follow her to the far edge of the clearing. She stopped at an apple tree that had been carved into with words. It read "Friends Forever" with initials underneath. "R" for Rarity, "RD"for Rainbow Dash, "FS" for Fluttershy, "PP" for Pinkie Pie and "AJ" for Applejack.

"We each carved our initials on it back in middle school. And," Applejack said as she pulled out a pocket knife. "Now that we're friends I thought you might want to add your initials to it too."

Sunset takes the knife from Applejack and approaches the tree. She once again reads the inscription on the tree. *I would be honored to add my initials here, but..*

Sunset turns back to Applejack and hands back the knife. "Thanks, but I can't add my initials here. Not yet."

"It's because of Rainbow Dash isn't it."

"Yes," Sunset confirmed, "I don't think it would be right to add my initials without becoming friends with Rainbow dash too. I hope that's not disappointing."

"Not at all," Applejack was quick to assure her, "I totally understand what your saying and your right. I probably jump the gun on this and I probably should have discussed it with the others first."

" But thanks for trying to include me. "

"No problem! Now let's head back before it gets to late."

*****

Once they finished unloading the truck, Sunset and Rarity said there goodbyes to Applejack. But before they could leave Granny gave them each a couple of Apple pies as thanks for helping out.

Sunset was happy at how thing went today, all things considered. She hope the party tomorrow would be even better.

Author's Note:

Finally I'm back. Sorry for the long wait. If your interested in what I've been up to in going to do a blog post about later this week. Enjoy.