• Published 6th Nov 2020
  • 4,069 Views, 84 Comments

A New Beginning Sunsets Second Chance - Drekoswordhunter



After everything she's done. She believes she deserve all the pain she has . Until her new friends and family show her how wrong she is.

  • ...
9
 84
 4,069

Chapter 14 animal shelter

"If we're going to have a party can I invite my friends?" Sunset asked the next morning during breakfast.

"I don't know," Luna said as she drinks her mourning coffee, "Remember we don't want a lot of people at the school to know your living with us."

"Well Fluttershy knows and Pinkie pie will know soon if she hasn't already figured it out." Sunset reminded her, "I also kind of let it slip with Rarity as well so she may already be suspicious."

"Hmmm," Luna said in thought.

"Honesty I don't have a problem with it," Tempest said in support, " She should be able to celebrate with her friends if she wants to. Plus I don't care if anyone knows or not. "

"Please Luna?" Sunset asked while giving her a puppy dog eyes.

"Alright." Luna said after thinking about it for a moment,"But I'll still need to let Celestia know. "

"Yay!" Sunset says before getting up to hug Luna, "Thank you!"

Luna and Tempest smiled.

***

On the way to school Sunset texts Fluttershy to get the girls together and meet her in the office so she could talk to them. Once they were all together with Luna present except for Rainbow Dash they began.

"So what did you want to talk to us about, Sunset?" asked Applejack.

"Shouldn't we wait for Rainbow Dash?" Pinkie Pie asked.

"No. I'll tell her about this later." Sunset explained, "I want to tell you all somthing that Fluttershy already knows about and I want the rest of you to know about it too."

So Sunset told them everything. She told them about her living in an abandoned house and now she was living with Vice principal Luna and her girlfriend Tempest. She also told them about the guardianship too. All the girls were happy for her.

"Well congratulations, Sunset!" said Applejack.

"Yes darling, we are very happy for you." said Rarity.

"Ya!" Pinkie pie said excitingly, "And I get to throw you a party too, right!"

"Yep. Tempest set everything up with you yesterday Pinkie." Luna explained, "The party set for Sunday."

" I was hoping you all would come to it." Sunset said hopeful.

"Darling, of course we want to come." assured Rarity.

"Gosh, you didn't even need to ask." said Applejack.

"Well be more than happy to celebrate with you." said Fluttershy.

"This is going to be the best party ever!" Pinkie pie said as load as she could.

"Thanks girls." Sunset said happily

They came together for a group hug before heading off to class with Luna smiling happily.

**********************

Celestia let Sunset take a break from doing chores today. She didn't want Sunset's studies to get neglected while she was doing chores around the school. So Sunset spent all day in detention studying.

Things were going relatively smoothly for Sunset today. She didn't have any problems with the other students other than the usual whispered chatter.

She had an enjoyable lunch with the girls, except for Rainbow Dash who was still choosing not to be near Sunset unless she had to. Granny told Sunset that this would be the last day she and the girls would be allowed to eat lunch in the break room. Sunset would have to go back to eating lunch in the cafeteria with everyone else on Monday. Sunset was worried about it but the girl assured her they would be there with her.

Surprisingly Rainbow Dash actually asked her for help with her school work during detention. Which made Sunset fell really good. Sunset also invited Rainbow Dash to the party on Sunday but didn't tell her about everything else she told the girls.

"So I'm having this party on Sunday and I was hoping you would like to come too." Sunset explained, " Fluttershy and the girls are going to be there.

Sunset handed Rainbow a piece of paper with the address for the party. "So will you come?"

"I'll think about." Rainbow Dash said taking the piece of paper and putting it in her pocket.

"Ok, I hope to see you there." Sunset said hopefully.

Sunset decided she'll tell Rainbow later that she was living with Luna. There were to many people in detention that didn't need to know.

All in all, Sunset had a really great day and was looking forward to helping Fluttershy out at the animal shelter.

Sunset met up with Fluttershy outside the main office before following her to her car. Fluttershy's car was a small yellow car parked at the front of the parking lot. They both got in and made the way to the animal shelter.

The animal shelter wasn't very far from the school, so it didn't take long to get there. The animal shelter was pretty big for a local shelter. It also had a large fenced in area in the back. Fluttershy parks her car in the parking lot next to the shelter.

They got out and walked inside. They are greeted by the veterinarian running the shelter.

"Hello, Fluttershy!" the veterinarian greeted her, "How are you doing?"

"I'm doing good." Fluttershy said answering her greeting.

"And thank you again for your help getting the adoption day set up with the school," the veterinarian said happily.

"It was my pleasure!"

The veterinarian turns to Sunset and introduces herself, "My name is Dr. Fauna and who might you be?"

"This is my friend Sunset Shimmer." Fluttershy answered.

The veterinarians expression soured immediately upon hearing Sunset's name. Sunset noticed this and realized that she knew about her past as a bully. Fluttershy notice too and tried to cut though the sudden tension.

"I know what your thinking and it's ok," Fluttershy said trying to reassure the veterinarian, "Sunsets changed, she's not a bully anymore."

"Ah huh." Dr. Fauna said unconvinced, "Fluttershy can I talk to you in my office for few minutes?"

"Ok." said Fluttershy a little worried.

Dr. Fauna look to Sunset, "And you can stay right here." She said looking angry.

As they both walk down the hall to the veterinarians office, Sunset sat in a chair in the wait room sulking as she realized no matter were she was her past would always be there too.

***

Fluttershy follows Dr. Fauna to her office. A office she'd been in many times over the last few years. Not because she was in trouble but she would be in here crying to Dr. Fauna about how she was being bullied at school.

Once the veterinarian closed the door to the office, She began to question Fluttershy about Sunset.

"Are you sure your ok?" Dr. Fauna asked concerned,"Your not in any kind of trouble are you? "

"I'm fine." Fluttershy tried to reassure her,"If your worried about Sunset--"

"Of course I'm worried about her being here. Am I supposed to ignore all the times you came here crying and upset about her bullying you constantly."

"But she's changed and she trying to makes amends."

"And you believe her?"

"Yes!" Fluttershy said with conviction, "She even agreed to help us with the adoption day at the school."

"Fine." Dr. Fauna said still unconvinced, "But if she steps out of line once she's gone."

"I promise you she won't."

Once they finished talking they returned to the waiting room were Sunset was.

"Ready to get started?" Fluttershy cheerfully asked Sunset upon her return.

"Ya." Sunset answered with a sad smile.

Sunset followed Fluttershy out of the waiting room but as they left Dr. Fauna said to Sunset, "I'm watching you."

Fluttershy took them first to the supply room to get a few things before arriving in a room full of cats. There was several cat trees for the cats to climb on and sleep in. There were litter boxes in every corner of the room and by the door were empty food and water bowls.

Sunset takes a trash bag and a poop scooper they got from the supply room and begins to clean the litter boxes, while Fluttershy takes the food bowls and refills them. The cats waited by the door for Fluttershy to return with there food, except for a few younger ones who followed Sunset around the room. Once they both finished that, they refilled the water bowls. Most of the cats went straight for the food as soon as they were set down. But there was a few who wanted to play with Sunset and Fluttershy.

"Hey Fluttershy."Sunset said while petting a cat in her lap, "Dr. Fauna knows about me bullying you, doesn't she?"

"Yes" Fluttershy answers while also petting a couple cats laying next to her. "After our friends abandoned each other and with you constantly bullying me, I would often come here crying after school. The animal here were the only bright spot in my life at the time, but there were times when even that wasn't enough. Honestly I don't know if I'd still be here if Twilight hadn't showed up when she did."

"You don't mean?"

"Yes." Fluttershy confirmed, "I thought about suicide. I was on the edge of it before Twilight came."

"But what about your family?" Sunset asked.

Fluttershy shook her head,"They just told me that I need to stand up for myself and we both know how well that went for me. "

Sunset and Fluttershy both think back to that moment over a year ago.

*Please just leave alone I tired of you bullying me all the time, Fluttershy said as she tried to stand up for herself.*

*SLAP! The sound of Sunset slapping Fluttershy across the face could be heard by everyone in the hallway. Then Sunset pushed Fluttershy down on to the floor. Fluttershy was crying out mercy as she laid on the floor holding her cheek.*

*I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please don't hurt me! Fluttershy pleaded.*

*You should of thought of that before defying me! Sunset said before kicking Fluttershy hard in the stomach.*

*Aahhhh! Fluttershy yelled out in pain.*

*Sunset turns to the other students in the hallway watching, "This is what happens when any of you defy me, She them turns to Snips and Snails who were snickering the whole time, "Lets go I think she's learned her lesson."*

*She then walks away leaving Fluttershy a crying mess on the floor.*

They were quiet for a moment as the remembered what happened.

"But things are better now," A cheerful Fluttershy said breaking the silence. "So lets go! We got a lot more animals to take care of."

"Ok. " Sunset said still thinking about the past.

The next group of animals were dogs of all different sizes and breeds. They were kept at the back of the shelter in a big room near the back door leading to the fenced in area outside. Each dog was in there own cage with there own food and water bowls.

Fluttershy took the dogs outside to play and do there business, while Sunset cleans there cages. As Sunset cleaned the cages, She couldn't stop thinking about all the things she did to Fluttershy when she bullied her. The more she thought about it the more she would became discussed with herself. Without realizing it she began to cry. The thought of Fluttershy contemplating suicide because of her made her hate herself even more.

"Hey Sunset are you almost done?" Fluttershy called from the back door.

Sunsets voiced cracked as she answered, "Ya I'm almost done." She was unable to hide how upset she was. She quickly finished cleaning the cages and wiped the tears from her eyes before Fluttershy returned.

Fluttershy notice how upset Sunset sounded. when she returned with the dogs she noticed that it looked like Sunset had been crying and she could see the despair in her face. She wondered if the conversation in the cat room earlier was still on her mind. She quickly feeds the dogs with Sunsets help. Then she took Sunset to an empty patient room and left door open a little.

"Do we need to clean this room too?" Sunset asks.

"No."

"Then what are we in here for?"

"To take a break and talk." Fluttershy says sitting in a near by chair.

"Oh ok." Sunset says sitting down the chair next to Fluttershy.

Fluttershy turns her chair to face Sunset. "Sunset please tell me what's wrong. I can tell your upset," Even though Fluttershy thought she knew what was bothering Sunset, She knew it was better to ask.

" Whats wrong? There's noth- ... " Sunset trailed off and paused for a moment.

*Who am I kidding, of course she can tell.*

"Sunset?" Fluttershy said concerned.

There was another pause before Sunset answered.

"While I was cleaning the dog cages, All I could think about was all the terrible things I did to you." Sunset began to cry again, "And the more I thought about it the more I hated myself for all the things I did to you.
I realized I'm a terrible person."

"But your not that person anymore," Fluttershy said trying to reassure her.

"That doesn't change the facts! And how do you know I won't go back to being that person again."

Fluttershy uses her finger to wipe away some of her tears and shows it to her. "This is how I know. The fact that you feel bad for the things you've done is all the proof I need. The old Sunset wouldn't of cared."

"I don't get it. After all the things I've done to you, here you worrying about me. Why don't you hate me? Why do you want to help me?"

"Because I never blamed you or my friends for what happened." Fluttershy took a deep breath, "I blamed myself."

"Why?" asked a confused Sunset, "I'm the one who bullied you. I caused you and your friends to break up. I caused Rainbow Dash to break up with you. I even push you to almost commit suicide!"

"No." Fluttershy cried out. She began to cry as she revealed the truth of her own feelings, "I did it to myself! I blamed myself for not being able to stand up to you. I blamed myself for not stopping my friends from breaking up. I even blamed myself for not fixing things with Rainbow Dash. I hated myself for being a cowered and weakling who can't do anything on her own. I just stood there and let it happen. Twilight did what I should have done from the start and even now I still blame myself for what happened."

Sunset was speechless. She couldn't believe that Fluttershy thought of herself like that.

Fluttershy took a deep breath to calm herself before she continued, "You asked why I wanted to help you and it's because I know what it's like to be on edge of suicide. Twilight may have pulled me away from the edge but I can still see it so clearly even now.

Fluttershy looks Sunset in her eyes, "And now when I look at the edge, I can see you heading towards it. You may now realize it yourself but I could tell that if things didn't get better for you soon you would be in the same place I was. I couldn't sit by and let that happen."

Sunset took Fluttershy hand in to hers, " But Fluttershy that means you've changed too. "

Fluttershy looks at Sunset shocked as she continued, "You said you couldn't do anything on your own but you've been helping me without your friends help. It was you who ran after me after what happened in the cafeteria the other day. You even gave me your lunch." Sunset smiled, "You wait for me every morning by the office to make sure I'm doing ok. You've gone out of your way to help me. I don't think your that weak girl I bullied anymore."

Fluttershy couldn't believe Sunset was describing her but the more she thought about she realized Sunset was right. She had changed without even realizing it. " I guess Twilight helped us more than we realized. "

They laughed a little out of happiness and hugged each other. As they pulled away Sunset says, " Thank you for being my friend. My very first friend. "

Sunset and Fluttershy leave the room together happy that they were able to share there feelings with each other.

***

Next Fluttershy took Sunset to the small critters room. There were lots of small mammals like hamsters, hedgehogs, ferrets and even mice. There areas had already be cleaned so all they had to was feed them. After that they went to the reptile room to feed them as well. There lots of lizards, and a few snakes and turtles. The last room was is big aquarium full with lots different types of fish, big and small. They didn't have anything to do here but Fluttershy want to show them to her anyways.

By the time they finished it was about 6:30 p.m. Which meant the shelter was closing soon. They were about to leave when Dr. Fauna asked them to come to her office.

"I owe you both an apology," Dr. Fauna said once they were all sitting in her office.

While Sunset was surprised and speechless, Fluttershy asked, "What for?"

"First for eavesdropping on your conversation in the empty patient room, " Dr. Fauna explained, " I saw the both of you go in there and thought it was suspicious. So I walk to the door preparing to intervene if necessary, but instead I stood there and listened to your conversation. I quickly left before you exited the room and I'm sorry for that."

The both nodded as they understood her reasoning, as she continued.

"Second, as I listened to your conversation. I realized I was too quick to judge you Sunset and I should have trusted you Fluttershy."

Fluttershy was going to say something but Sunset beat her to it, "No. You had every reason to not trust me. I've done a lot of things I'm not proud of.

"But I still should of given you a chance." Dr. Fauna said honestly, " And third, I never realized that things were that bad for you two. I'm sorry Fluttershy for not noticing it and I want you both to know if need someone to talk to my door is always open."

"Thanks." they both said.

Dr. Fauna looked at her watch and said, "Well it's closing time. So you girls better head on home and I hope to see you both again soon."

They both thanked her again and said there goodbyes to her before leaving.

As they walked back to Fluttershy's car, Fluttershy asks, " Hey Sunset do you want to go get something out to eat before going home? "

"Sure," Sunset quickly answered, "But I better call Luna just to make sure it's ok."

While Sunset makes her phone call, Fluttershy gets in her car and thinks about the last few hours. She was happy to have finally told someone the feelings she kept bottled up deep inside. It was like great weight had been taken off her shoulders.

The passenger car door opens and Sunset gets in.

"Sooo?" Fluttershy asks .

"She said yes!" Sunset said happily, "As long as I'm back before ten."

"I think I know just the place to go."

Fluttershy turns the car on and drives them to the restaurant. They have a great dinner together as the friendship between them grows.