• Published 10th Aug 2022
  • 209 Views, 2 Comments

He Is What He Hides - Acologic



While Twilight Sparkle gains popularity in Ponyville, Gem Effulgence lives as normally as he can. But seeing her again brings back old memories, against which his mind rebels – but to which his heart can only respond.

  • ...
 2
 209

I: Memory of Grief in Present Joy

‘And how would you describe the way you’re feeling?’

‘Just low.’

‘And have you been feeling like this for a long time? Or is it something that comes and goes?’

‘Not a long time. A few weeks.’

‘I see. And in those weeks did something happen? Have you suffered any pain, physical or emotional?’

‘Yes.’

‘Which?’

‘Both, I guess.’

‘It’s OK to feel pain. All do. And, if you can tell me, what prompted you to decide to come here today?’

‘A pony.’

‘Somepony close to you? It’s OK. Take your time.’

‘Yes.’

• • •

Hello. I’m Gem Effulgence. It’s a stupid name, and that’s on my mother. ‘Effulgence’. What was she thinking? So it’s Gem, if it’s all the same to you. I’m a Canterlot boy, born and bred in the city. It’s a bad place, Canterlot – not in and of itself. Rather, it’s rendered bad by the ponies living there. My mum and dad come to mind. Not that they’re ‘bad’ either. But they’re painful to be around.

I worked with my dad before, at his cafe. It’s a cheap place that serves cheap food. Popular with the students, and there are all sorts of them in Canterlot. You have your run-of-the-mills, but some study magic, and some even study it under Celestia.

But it’s not something I think about anymore, now that I’m here, in Ponyville. Dad won on that front. He and Mum don’t live together, see. They argued for years and years, and I never thought they’d break up, but they did. And as horrible as that was for me, it could be one of the best things that’ve happened. As to what did it, it was about me, of course. Dad wanted me to move out and experience the world for myself, outside the city. Mum wanted me to keep my nose down and save some money to help get a place of my own nearby. One thought I was coddled and the other thought I wasn’t coddled enough. And there you have it. I haven’t talked to my father since I moved. I visit my mother – I don’t know, quarterly? Like I said, bad place, Canterlot. There’s not much there but pain. At least I’m free from it now – as free as I can be.

Ponyville is fine. It’s nothing big. It’s nothing special. And that’s just fine. It’s a strong community, so everypony knows everypony, but I’ve managed to slip under the radar for the most part. Ponies know me from my job, on the till at Quills and Sofas. Beyond that I’m not really anypony, and that’s fine. I stay in the shop, you know. Above it. Davenport trusts me with the keys, and I open up in the mornings. He takes the rent out of my wages, and I’m fine with that. Another thing I don’t have to worry about. It’s all been fine.

Why am I telling you this? Because this is all about a pony, but it’s not about me. It’s actually about a pony I’ve known for most of my life. Hours and hours we’ve spent together. We’ve sat together at the end of the world, time, the universe. We investigated murders together and solved them. We went deep-sea diving and swam with sharks. We’ve teased each other. We’ve laughed together. We’ve embraced. God knows how many times we’ve embraced. I can feel her soft, warm coat, pressed up against my snout. We go back, the two of us. Years and years we go back. I’m certain of it.

And up until now, really, I’d forgotten about her. Thinking about that, I’m amazed. After all we went through, how could I forget her? Yet I did. I mentioned Dad’s cafe. That’s where we met, I know that much. I know that was only a few years back, but even though I saw her there for the first time, even then I’d known her far longer.

How did I forget her? Mum and Dad split up, sure. I had myself to worry about, sure. I moved to Ponyville. I found a job, took up reading and music. Was that all it took to forget? Was that all it took to detach me from years of closeness to her? She rescued me when I was trapped. She saved me from myself when I cried on the way to classes. She was the voice that frightened off the bullies and the reason that restored my love for myself. She was the motivation to stay fit and to keep studying. She was the pony for whom I lived clean. I still do. I should have thought about it! Then I would have remembered her!

And she’s here now. She’s here in Ponyville. I saw her. No mistake. She’s older now. She’s prettier than ever. She’s as smart as she was then, when I served her those hay fries. A real student of magic, studying under Princess Celestia, no less. I remember her talking to me about what she was reading as I took her plate. And she’s here now. She’s here in Ponyville.

Twilight Sparkle. Gem’s oldest, dearest, fiercest friend. And I’d forgotten her. I’ll never forget her now. Not now that I know she’s here. Not now that I know for certain, and I can’t believe it has taken me so long to admit it to myself: I love her. I’ve always loved her, and she’s always loved me. And now she’s here. She’s here in Ponyville.

• • •

At half-past nine, Davenport pushed open the store door; the entry bell tinkled. ‘You’re looking up today!’ he said. ‘How’s the morning looking?’

Gem set down his guitar and pulled himself straight on his stool. ‘Quiet. We’ve had maybe – three customers?’

‘Well, don’t stop, then,’ said Davenport, striding past the till to hang his coat in the closet. ‘Let’s hear a tune!’

‘Sure,’ said Gem, reaching for the neck. He resumed to hoofstyle the piece he’d been playing, one he was composing. It was bright and whimsical, centred around the sunny sixth chord, as he liked to call it. Davenport knew nothing about music. He nodded his head while rummaging through drawers, humming completely off key.

‘That’s a nice one,’ he said as he stooped to pick up the pricing gun he’d dropped. ‘One of yours?’

‘Yep. Do you like it? Is it any good?’

‘Sounds great!’

‘Thanks,’ said Gem. ‘I’m glad you like it. I’m not sure about the middle bit though. It’s sort of hard to –’

‘Couldn’t give me that stool a mo, just so I can get this?’ interrupted Davenport. He pointed to a box of ink on the cap of the top shelf.

‘Yeah,’ said Gem, replacing his guitar against the wall and handing him the kick stool.

‘Has Soapy dropped by?’ asked Davenport as he stepped on.

‘She came last night to leave you some pictures,’ replied Gem.

‘Ah, brilliant.’ Davenport looked at him and started to chuckle. ‘What?’ he asked. ‘What did I say?’

‘It’s nothing,’ said Gem, who’d been grinning. ‘It’s – I’m glad that it’s all over, you know. That business with Nightmare Moon and whatnot.’

‘Oh, that! Yeah.’ Davenport puffed out his cheeks. ‘That was one close call, eh? Bless those six ponies for getting us out of it. New to have two princesses in Equestria, but I’m sure Luna’ll do fine. Not Nightmare Moon anymore, is she?’

‘I guess not,’ said Gem. He could not stop himself. ‘That Twilight Sparkle really is a good pony to have in Ponyville,’ he breathed. Davenport nodded.

‘That’s right! The way I heard it,’ he said, ‘she was the one who found out about Nightmare Moon’s return in the first place.’

‘Do you know anything else about her?’ asked Gem. ‘I mean, what’s her background? I know she studied magic with Princess Celestia, but she’s here in Ponyville? Kind of weird, right?’

‘Well, it has to do with her studies. Ponyville’s talking all about it. Something to do with a study into friendship. I wouldn’t have thought it an academic pursuit, hah, but there it is.’

‘Friendship,’ echoed Gem.

‘I think she’ll settle in just fine,’ Davenport continued. ‘We’re a welcoming bunch, us Ponyvillans. We’ll show her a good time. Bless her and those other five for saving us,’ he said again. ‘And good on you for noticing that kind of virtue, Gem! It’s the right thing to praise.’

Gem shrugged and picked up his guitar, trembling. ‘I just think it’s right, what she did. What they did,’ he added. ‘And they were locals, weren’t they? I know Applejack from the farm.’

‘Well, it was Applejack, Pinkie Pie – you’ll know Pinkie, she’s that pink pony who’s dancing and singing in town. Then there was Rainbow Dash. We don’t see her as much down here, of course – she’s busy managing the clouds. Rarity. Very nice pony, Rarity. We had her in here before you started, picking up some furniture for the boutique. Twilight, of course. I think the other pony was Fluttershy. I don’t know her myself, but she’s done us proud. Our little town with its big heroes.’ Davenport chuckled again. ‘Good on them. Ah! The Mayor!’

For the bell had rung, and Mayor Mare was the pony who had entered. As Davenport greeted her, Gem set down his guitar once more and stood up, smiling and ready for service.

The Mayor bought a selection of fine quills, presents for her nephews. ‘Come again! Always a pleasure!’ Davenport called.

‘The Mayor thanked them, didn’t she?’

‘What’s that?’

‘Twilight and the others. They were thanked, weren’t they?’

‘Oh yes. Yes, Celestia herself and all. You weren’t there?’

‘I – didn’t go. I’m a bit annoyed with myself. I’d like to thank them too.’

‘Well, you’ll no doubt bump into them all.’

‘It’s just that – I don’t know where they live.’

‘Well, Applejack’s on the farm most days,’ said Davenport as he counted the different inkpots on display. ‘You’ll have to get in touch with the weather team to see Rainbow Dash unless you’re lucky. I swear that pony never stops working, I see her so little!’

‘What about Twilight? Where’s she staying?’

‘You need to get out more, my lad. She’s up in that library, isn’t she? Big, homely tree in town. Can’t miss it.’

‘The Golden Oak?’

‘That’s the one. Now give us a tune. Seems like it could be a slow morning.’

Gem obliged, smiling as Davenport started to dance. His good mood permeated the room – but not to the degree that Gem’s did. For the one thing he’d long forsaken without even realising it had returned.

Hope.