• Published 15th Oct 2020
  • 318 Views, 11 Comments

The Ritardando - keithsterling



Octavia Melody the most famous Cello Player in all of Equestria. Who taught her how to play so well? No pony knows except Octavia herself, but she's not talking.

  • ...
 11
 318

Chapter 1

It's 2030 hrs Equestria Standard Time, a month earlier, silver moon hotel, amphitheater ward, City of Canterlot, room 220, Miss Octavia Melody Rented room, second floor of the hotel.

Walking down the carpeted hallway to her rented room on the hotel's second floor was an attractive ash gray earth pony mare with styled cadet gray colored mane and tail. Her elegant 5ft 10in equine figure was attired black short-sleeve lace evening gown. On her long muscular legs were jet black thigh-high stockings. Why on her ten inch long stocking-clad feet were black closed-toed stiletto pumps. This earth pony mare was Miss Octavia Melody, a famous Canterlot Cello player.

'Finally, finish this month-long concert tour of Equestria twenty cities at different venues across the kingdom. Now I have a full year off to rest and relax. With Vinyl Scratch, begin her concert party tour soon. It should be quiet around the house for a few months that will give me time to compose a new music score for the next concert tour.' Octavia thought, carrying her Cello back to her room.

Soon the lights from the hallway stream through a crack in the door into the darkened room. The sound of the clicking heels is muffled by the comfy carpeted room. She reaches for the light switch on the wall next to the door and turns on the lights in the room. The moment Octavia Melody steps through the door into the room and closes the door behind her, she rests her Cello case against the wall of her room.

She collapses into the bed, exhausted as the soft thuds of stiletto pumps fall to the carpeted floor of the room, leaving a slender pair of nylon-clad ash gray bare feet with mulberry colored toenail polish revealed. As her mulberry colored eyes begin to close their knock on her rented room door, a look of indignant annoyance appears on her face. The sound of the soft pitter-patter of mare's nylon-clad bare feet is muffled by the cushy carpeted floor of her room as she walks up to answer the door. As she opens the door standing in the hallway was a sharply dressed earth pony stallion wearing a business suit holding a briefcase.

"Greeting, sir, how may I help you?" Octavia asked politely as the stallion straightened his tie and clears his throat.

"Are you Miss Octavia Melody?" the stallion asked.

"I am stallion." Octavia answers.

"I am the executor of the estate of Baron Argo Lyric, as the last living relative to Baron Argo Lyric you Miss Octavia Melody are the sole heiress to Lyric estate in Coltfornian in the city of Grazing Hills. To claim your inheritance, just head to the estate in Coltfornian and City of Grazing Hills; if you feel uncomfortable going alone, take someone with you, Miss Octavia Melody." The stallion explains, handing her a copy of Baron Argo Lyric's will and a map to the estate.

It’s 1400 hrs a few days later, Justice's and Celestia's Home, Residential District, Capital City of Ponyville, Friendship Kingdom, and Living room.

Sitting on the chair in the living room looking at the copy of Baron Argo Lyric will, was majestic looking dark blue unicorn stallion with crimson red mane and tail. His 6ft 5in athletic equine figure was encased in the dark gray solid short-sleeve polo shirt and black straight leg regular fit jeans. On his socked, dark blue bare feet were charcoal-black training shoes. This unicorn stallion was Royal investigator Justice Silverlight and Princess Celestia's fiancé.

Sitting on the sofa in the living room attired in the midnight, teal-colored gathered neck short sleeve blouse and white mid-rise straight-leg jeans was Miss Octavia Melody. On her ten inches, long ash gray bare feet were a pair of black ballet flats. After rest overnight at her rented room at the hotel, Octavia caught the late afternoon train back to ponyville from Canterlot. She heads home to drop off her Cello case and change into something more comfortable. Before heading over to Justice's and Celestia's home, she phones her friend Justice asking if she can talk to him about something. He said yes, and she heads over to his house in the Residential District of ponyville.

Went Octavia arrived at Justice's home; she discovered a second mare with him, not Princess Celestia. Sitting on the other sofa was gorgeous, looking pearly purple unicorn mare with fern green mane and tail. Her toned 5ft 9in equine figure was attired in red short-sleeve stretch pique knit polo shirt and Wheatfield tan-colored jeans.

On a pair of eleven and one-third inch, long pearly purple flawless and unblemished shaped bare feet sported a mare's size thirteen pair of black pumps with one and one-half heel. This unicorn mare was Lieutenant Colonel Emerald Luster, one of Colonel Justice Silverlight command staff from the Princess's Elite protection Brigade and closest friend of his.

"This uncle Lyric's will is very legit, Tavi. As the executor explains to you, you are the sole heiress to Lyric estate in Coltfornian in the City of Grazing Hills." Justice comments, passing the will over to Emerald so she could confirm what he was saying. She quickly skimmed over the will.

"I totally agree with Lord Silverlight assessment, Miss Melody," Emerald comments as she setting the will down on the coffee table in front of Miss Melody.

"So Lord Silverlight and Miss Luster, you both agree on this legit will for my Uncle Lyric. And I am sole heiress to Lyric estate in Coltfornian in the City of Grazing Hills." Octavia comments as she pick up her Uncle Lyric will from the coffee table. As the two unicorns shook their heads simultaneously.

"With that squared away, Tavi. Do you want someone to accompany you to Lyric estate in Coltfornian in the City of Grazing Hills to claim your inheritance, Tavi?" Justice asked as Octavia shook her head 'yes.'

"If you don't mind, Tavi, I'll send Emerald with you to Coltfornian. Coltfornian has a few strange rules about claiming your inheritance. With Celestia's help, I can clear up a lot of rules for you. So all you have to do is sign some papers, and inheritance is all your, Tavi." Justice explains as he asked her to leave the will with him.

"Thank you, Justice, for doing all this for me. If you ever need some music made or played, just call on me. And I get to work on it for you." Octavia said, grateful as Octavia and Emerald left home to pack for their trip to Coltfornian and City of Grazing Hills.

Its 1000 hrs Equestria standard time, a few days later, Small Greek revival style mansion home, Trotsdale estates Neighborhood, Grazing Hills, Coltifornia, Los Ungulas.

Driving toward the hillside community of Trotsdale estates in City of Grazing hills was a crystal power luxury car being driven by Lieutenant Colonel Emerald Luster, and in the passenger seat was anxious Miss Octavia Melody. As they were leaving the Los Ungulas airport, a shot ring out; it grazed Miss Octavia Melody's leg before embedding itself in the sidewalk.

Emerald shoved Octavia into the nearest airport shuttle and showed the driver her Solar Guard badge without thinking. She told him to take them to the closest Police Department quickly. At the station, the two mares filled out the report of the incident at the airport. Slowly the large gold gates open up with the inputted gate code that the executor gave to Miss Octavia Melody to get onto the estate grounds.

The long driveway leading up to the main mansion home was lined with trees; it soon gave away two stories wood and stucco Greek revival style mansion home painted white with an elaborate front entrance. Several columns lined the front of the house with a low-pitched roof covered with fake cedar shingles. All windows around the home were plain-looking but double-hung with six panes in each sash.

Waiting at the front entrance were two ponies; the first pony was beautiful looking dark blue bodied unicorn mare with an apricot-colored mane and tail. Her 5ft 6in very fit equine figure was attired in black loose fit T-shirt dress with v-neck and on her dark blue ten and third inch long feet were black buckle open-toe pumps. The second pony was a handsome dark blue bodied unicorn stallion with an apricot-colored mane and tail. His 5ft 7in equine figure was attired in a white dress shirt and light gray straight fit pants. On his socked, dark blue ten and one half inch long feet were black dress shoes.

These two unicorn ponies were the Lyric estate caretakers of Baron Argo Lyric and the last of his household staff. Head Maid Mavra Curator and Steward Duncan Curator, a brother and sister team, worked for Baron Argo Lyric for some time. As the vehicle stops, Miss Octavia Melody climbs out in front of the home, and the two unicorns bow in front of Octavia.

"Welcome your lady ship, Baroness Octavia Melody. We are Head Maid Mavra Curator and Steward Duncan Curator. We have worked for your uncle Baron Argo Lyric for many years." Duncan explains and blinks with surprise went the other unicorn climbed out of the driver's side of the vehicle.

"We didn't expect another guest with her lady ship. But we are glad one did come with her." Duncan comments as Emerald pop the trunk on the car so the head maid could get their luggage.

"Thank you, Mr. Curator; my name is Miss Emerald Luster; I am a friend of Baroness Octavia Melody. She didn't want to come alone, so she asked me to accompany her." Emerald explains as Mavra took the luggage and escorted Octavia into the home as she spoke to Duncan.

"Are you two the only ones here?" Emerald inquiry as Duncan shook his head.

"My sister and I are the only ones left here at the Lyric estate after the mysterious death of Baron Argo Lyric, the original owner of Symphonic hall," Duncan explains as Emerald faces glazes with shock.

"Mr. Curator, did you say the mysterious death of Baron Argo Lyric!" Emerald exclaims as Duncan shook his head.

"How so, Mr. Curator?" Emerald inquiry as the two unicorns walked the grounds of the estate.

"The death of Baron Lyric was attributed to a massive heart attack. I will be the first to admit the Baron really didn't care about himself why living here. But went we found him, his face retained the expression of horror." Duncan explained as Emerald looked very confused with the statement from Duncan.

"What do you mean horror?" Emerald inquiry wondering.

"Their old legend first Baron Dionysus Lyric wrote this musical score to mourn his late wife Baroness Amara Lyric went she died. The score was called the Sunset Lament; the notes in the score are so perfect that once played, the player is calling for death to come to the recital to judge their soul. Many musicians have played the Sunset Lament and never finish it because they see death sitting in the audience, fearing their death, they stop. Death then takes their soul with him out of displeasure. If a Musician can make it to the end of Sunset Lament without fearing their own death. Death will be pleased and leave the musician alive. He will also release the souls of musician that couldn't finish the Sunset Lament, and the curse musical score will be broken." Duncan explains as Emerald gape in stunned silence.

"Do you know if the Sunset Lament exists, Duncan?" Emerald inquiry as the two unicorns standing in front of a garden fountain at the garden center.

"That I can't say, Miss Luster. But someone sure does." Duncan said sourly as his nostrils flaring.

"Has something happened before Baroness Octavia Melody, and I arrived at the estate?" Emerald inquiry as Duncan shook his head.

"Since the death of Baron Lyric, someone had been sneaking onto the estate and searches the Baron's room looking for something," Duncan explains as Emerald taps her finger against the lower half of her jaw.

"My sister or I do a final check of full symphonic hall check all the doors and windows making sure they are locked. Went we get to the Baron's room on the second floor, the windows are wide open, and papers are spread everywhere." Duncan explains as Emerald listens closely to what Duncan tells her.

Meanwhile, at the main mansion home head maid, Mavra Curator escorts Baroness Octavia Melody to the master bedchamber of the Symphonic hall on the second floor, as the two mares reach the first landing, Octavia gawk in disbelief. In front of her is a huge painting of ash gray earth pony mare with cadet gray mane that looks like her but quite a bit older.

"Mavra!" Octavia calls

"Yes, your lady ship?" Mavra answers

"Who is this mare in this picture?" Octavia inquiry

"That is Baroness Agatha Lyric, which is Baron Argo Lyric late wife. She was a renowned violin player went she was alive. The symphonic hall is filled with beautiful violin music. Went Baron and Baroness played together. Symphonic hall came to life with beautiful music. But after her death, beautiful music never again filled Symphonic hall. The Baron sealed the music room and never played music again." Mavra explains open a drawer on the small table under the painting and hand a small gold key to Octavia.

"As the new Baroness of Symphonic hall, you may choose to unlock the music room if you like. It the last room at the end of this hallway." Mavra explained as Octavia ran down the hallway toward the music room.

She finds herself standing in front of double wooden doors with a gold lock on it. She inserts the gold key into the lock and turns it. They're a very soft click as the door swings open Octavia walks through the door into an octagon-shaped room. Several different types of musical instruments fill the space. The single most significant musical instrument in the place was a grand piano. Against one of the walls was a low cabinet on top the cabinet sitting on two display stands well cared for Stradivarius violin.

She walks over to the Stradivarius violin and puck the instrument; it produced a dark, low tone that lingers in the air. As the vibrations bounced around the octagon-shaped room, the grand piano seems to begin to play a similar musical note. As the two musical notes enter her ears, it sparked a memory. It was her as filly sitting on the floor at the feet of her aunt playing a Stradivarius violin for her.

'My aunt was a great violinist in Equestria; she knew how to make the instrument sing with such elegance and grace. She never told me I had to learn how to play the violin. She told me to find the instrument that speaks to me and listen to it.' Octavia thought as she carefully took hold of the Stradivarius violin and the bow.

She started to play the instrument; this causes the other instruments in the room to join in with the concert filling the Symphonic hall once again with beautiful music, which it lacked since the death of the Baroness Agatha Lyric and Baron Argo Lyric. Bring the home to life after so many years of silence.