• Published 17th Oct 2020
  • 1,618 Views, 284 Comments

The Moon Has Two Faces - Ether Echoes



Light Breeze fears what awaits her in dreams, and Princess Luna struggles to help her.

  • ...
12
 284
 1,618

Chapter 13 - Cord of Light and Shadow

It was a bit of a cliche that when you are about to die your life flashes before your eyes, but even cliches contain a kernel of meaning, of truth. The rapids swept Light Breeze along, dashing her against rocks and pulling her underwater. In the grip of shock and panic, the mind can wander, and for a brief moment she understood why so many cultures told stories of the spirits living in waterways, eager to pull humans under.

But I’m not a human! she insisted to herself, fighting against the current, eyes squeezed shut against the cold, gasping for breath whenever she dared. She tried to remember the warmth of her mother’s body, even after a swim on one of the ocean’s more frigid days, the uncanny way a pegasus’s thin coat of hair was more than enough to stay warm, even in the midst of a storm.

But the magic wouldn’t come to her, and her body—her real body—felt so far away.

The current dragged her under again, and Light Breeze felt cold gnarled hands around her, tugging at her clothes, her hair, her skin. She thought for sure the dark shadows she’d seen before must also live in the water, that they’d seized hold and would finally drown her.

It’s not fair! It’s not fair, I never even got to live first… Her mind was a daze, and all she could think about was Fillydelphia, the good memories and the bad, and the future she’d planned out in her dreams, but had never come to pass.

It took her a moment to realize that the hands weren’t pulling her downward, that she’d stopped tumbling through the wake. Her lungs burned, and she fought for the surface, reaching it with the tips of her numbed fingers first, before pulling herself up the rest of the way.

She found herself pressed against the bank of the rapids, white water roiling past her. It wasn’t hands that had grabbed her, but the exposed root system of some nearby trees. Her limbs were shaking as she pulled herself up, and she found she could barely walk. The air was, if anything, even colder than the water, and it didn’t help that she was soaked down to the bone, wet clothes clinging to her woefully human form. She kicked off her shoes, at least—those were largely useless to her now. For a moment her anxieties spiked over leeches, but the more rational part of herself remembered that they probably didn’t like swift currents anymore than her human body did.

Of course, there were other kinds of leeches, as Adam had shown her, and she shuddered to imagine them clinging to her body. The possibility of those little buggers slid out of focus the more her immediate situation became clear to her. Her little trip down the river had thoroughly disoriented her, and even if she ran back to the cabin, to Frank, would it even matter? In her heart was a cold emptiness where she’d felt what little bond they shared sever.

No, Frank wouldn’t be helping her anymore, her best bet was to make for the road, any road, and hope to Celestia someone would be driving down it. Light Breeze scrambled up the bank, catching herself against the trunk of a tree with one hand before hauling herself up the rest of the way.

The exertion helped, at least a little. The energy that would have been spent shivering was instead poured into pushing herself as hard as she could. The trees were thick, but she could still feel the sunlight on her back through the wet ruin of her t-shirt, and she did her best to keep it that way, using it to orient herself and keep the forest from steering her in circles. Crashing through the undergrowth, she had to ask herself just how much noise she was making, how far away Adam might be.

Not very far at all, apparently. Up ahead there was a break in the trees, and she could see the road from where she was. Putting on as much speed as she could manage, she didn’t even see or hear the older boy before he was slamming into her side, something Adam must have done a thousand times on the football field. She definitely couldn’t fault his form after being pulverized into the forest floor, her head knocked painfully against the roots of an old tree.

“Owen!” he hissed through his teeth. “You had me worried sick, falling into the river like that! You’re way too valuable to go and freeze to death. Here, let me help you get warm.”

Adam’s weight was more than enough to pin Owen down on its own, and the older boy shrugged out of his jacket and draped it over Light Breeze’s dazed and crumpled body.

“Stop…” Light Breeze hissed through her teeth. “Don’t…”

“Don’t what?” Adam had to speak around his breaths by now, his chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm. His muscles were taut with adrenaline, and the way he looked at Light made her feel like something hanging in a butcher’s storefront window. “I’m not going to hurt you,” he reassured, rising to his feet with hands pressed to Light’s arms. “Not before my friends get here, anyway. We’re going to meet them now.”

As soon as Adam’s weight shifted, Light Breeze bolted, slipping from his hands like a fish in a stream. Adam cried out in surprise and reached out. For a moment in time, one blissful sliver of a second, Light Breeze believed she was free, that she was out of his grip and ready to make a run for it through the trees.

But that moment was cut short when Adam’s grip tightened around the back of her collar, and he yanked back. The wet fabric didn’t tear easily, and that just made it worse when her older brother tugged it back against her throat. Mingled with her choked surprise was a loud tearing sound that seemed to fill the clearing, and Light Breeze tumbled back from the force of it, sprawling out in the dirt and weeds.

The collar of her shirt was long and stretched out, and the rest of it rested on her shoulders like a deflated tent. Somehow, of everything she’d seen, Frank’s red-eyed desperation, Remi’s fearful dismissals, or her human mother’s deliberate detachment, the very worst thing about her situation had to be just how calm about all of this Adam was. For anyone else in her family, the violence would have awoken something in them, fear or rage, but for Adam this was all old hat, as if he’d done this sort of thing before—like it was normal.

“Dunno why you always said you were bad at sports,” Adam said, kicking her in the side hard enough to make her wince. “You’re a slippery little eel, with the right coach you could have been a good running back, or whatever sport you wanted, really.” Adam crouched down, looming over her like a shadow, and for a moment Light Breeze saw behind those eyes to a soul hollowed out and empty, as if its insides had been scooped out like ice cream.

“But it was never about sports, was it? It’s this world, what it does to people like you. Feels… wrong.” He spoke the last word in a gravely, hungry voice, distorted from its ordinary human tones. “Not like me,” he whispered, sliding closer on his knees. “I had no idea what a joke everything was until she showed me the truth.”

Light Breeze had no idea what to say, massaging her neck where the collar had slammed into her windpipe, the skin was red and raw, and her ears were filled with tears. Even if she could speak in that moment, what would she say? How could anyone say so much that made sense, in so wrong a fashion?

“My friends can wait,” Adam sighed. “I just need a taste, something to keep me going—the wolf that brings the prey down gets first bite, anyway. Shira always says…”

Light Breeze readied to bolt again, but before she could, Adam’s hands came down on her wrists again, and before she could respond he was on top of her. Where his skin made contact with hers, there was a prickling feeling, a bit like touching one of those old plasma globes, but it picked up in strength and intensity, passing through her body like electrical current. She could feel it lighting up her nervous system, penetrating into each and every cell. Her mind wandered back to her lessons in Equestria, the magical component of a cell—the Pneuma. It was so much more than that, her unicorn brother would explain, but… humans don’t have those, do not have that.

Her body could certainly stand to hear that lecture, because in that moment, every cell Adam touched burned with agony, and she could feel something flowing out of it, out of her. Deep breaths escaped her mouth, and the air carried on it shimmered and shined, glowing like magic from the spiral of a unicorn’s horn. Adam inhaled, sucking in every bit of magic he could, light and color returning to his eyes and his skin.

“Hoowah…” he sighed, eyes fluttering in disbelief. “Can’t believe I ever humored adding you to the club… this is pure, unfiltered…”

Another wave of fire passed through her, and Light Breeze screamed, her voice echoing through the forest, the rush of air from her lungs only seemed to help the magic flood out of her more quickly, and Adam almost seemed to be exerting himself just to keep up. His hands moved up along her arms whenever the breath of pneuma seemed weaker, more faint, and after a few moments he was clamped on as tight as a boa constrictor.

It’s not that magic—pneuma—was finite, far from it. Based on what she’d been taught, it was the most inexhaustible force in the universe, any universe. The real issue, as countless unicorns had learned, raising the sun and moon over the centuries, was channeling it in moderation, to avoid frying out every circuit in your body. With every breath, Light Breeze could feel Adam ripping the magic from her body, and in response every cell fired all pistons, her body was going to give out long before the magic ever did.

Still, Adam didn’t stop. Even though it was in his best interests, he seemed barely aware, barely sapient, a slathering wolf desperate to consume as much of her as he could manage. Something was going to give, and with every passing second, Light Breeze knew it was going to be her.

Time stretched and distorted, a familiar feeling for her, being ripped about from one universe to the next, spending days in one and hours in another. Why bother trying to make sense of it? Time was relative, and in a moment like this, it felt like the least important thing by miles. And, yet, it was all she could think about, counting her breaths as every second in the world seemed to slow down, to pass her by, as if time warped around her, as though everyone else in the world continued about their daily routines while for her, time slowed to a stop.

Her muscles spasmed, her tendons were clenched so tight she thought they’d snap, and in that moment, something in Light Breeze did give, just not how she expected.

Adam’s eagerness gave way to surprise, and his grip on her eased, but he didn’t pull back in time. Feeding back into him, electric current ripped through his body, sending him sailing across the clearing and against the trunk of a tree. In a rush of magic and a flurry of energy, Light Breeze could feel her body shift and change, her pants tearing from expansion of her hips, hands and feet like rigid claws shimmering as every digit seemed to bleed into one, capped with strong sturdy hooves. What remained of her clothing burned away in response to the outpouring of magic, and wings stretched to the sky, before her entire body shuddered and gave out under her, forcing her to the ground, barely able to open her eyes.

Light Breeze couldn’t see much, but realization slowly dawned—she’d changed, and for a moment she half-believed she was back in Equestria.

“What the hell is this?” Adam groaned, rising to his feet and cradling his arm, it was bent at an odd angle, but he popped something back into place with a grimace, making his way over. He didn’t seem any more interested in moving it after the fact, though.

“... Owen?” he called with a brow raised. “... that you in there?”

Light Breeze struggled to stand, to run—or even fly—once she took to the sky there would be no way for Adam to catch her, but her body stubbornly disagreed, too tired, too fried. Magic brimmed, overflowing, just beneath the surface, and when push came to shove her body had apparently decided it would be easier to keep up with Adam’s advances as a pegasus, rather than a human boy.

“Just wait until the rest of the gang gets a load of you.” Adam smiled. He didn’t reach out and touch Light again, but the hunger was still there.

Falling back against a tree at Light Breeze’s side, Adam pulled out his phone and read through some messages. How he was still able to get a signal out here was beyond Light Breeze’s comprehension, but maybe it was just part of his gang’s depraved dark magic. Her wings flared and flapped uselessly, like a bird mired in a lake or pond, and Adam stilled her with a hand.

“Shhh… just twenty minutes now, give or take.” His grin widened. “You’re going to like Shira, she has a ranch—plenty of room to run around in once we take care of those wings.”

Light Breeze opened her mouth to scream, but only slurred whimpers came out.

“There’s just so much about the world they don’t tell us, you know?” Adam said, settling down with his back against a tree. “You’re a… pegasus, I suppose. And I’m a, what, human?” Adam tossed a stone, listening for it tumble down the slope of the hill. “And what even is that? Norse peoples said the first humans were made out of wood, the Mayans think we’re corn, and the Greeks say we’re made of clay.” He fidgeted a little before continuing. “Our ancestors were right about one thing, at least: the world was born in fire and ice, in blood and bone. None of this ‘God made the heavens and the earth in seven days’ schlock. Chaos, that’s what the world is. You and me are living proof of that.”

Adam turned in place, meeting Light Breeze’s eyes. “I’m not your enemy, you understand? I’m just asking you to share—redistribute things a little.” He paused as if waiting for a response, and when none came, his lips tightened. “You hanging in there, Owen?” Another beat passed between them, and he scowled. “Don’t bother playing the malevolent transmogrification card, you and I both know this is the real you. So you can cut the ‘I’m in shock!’ routine any minute now.

For the past several minutes, Light Breeze’s ears had been swiveling and focusing on every little sound with what amounted to a mind of their own, but now both of them perked up, rising high on her head. With a groan, she managed to lift her head, craning her neck.

“See, that’s more like it. Maybe now we can have an actual—” but Adam trailed off once he noticed the sounds, too “—conversation.”

The road wasn’t far, Light Breeze could just make it out through the trees, if she squinted. Admittedly, pegasus eyes helped, but she could make out a brick red truck with an off-black cap covering the bed. Not far off from the clearing itself, a tall Black woman moved gracefully through the underbrush, followed closely by a smaller, paler woman with bright freckles and red hair.

“You’re sure this is the right way?” The smaller woman asked, her voice carrying through the trees. “We’re getting pretty far from the road, and I don’t see…”

The black woman looked recognizable—Jaime and Aisha’s cousin? But Light Breeze had never seen the other woman before in her life. Together, they stepped into the clearing, and the witch crossed her arms.

“Witness it for yourself, and draw your own conclusions, Child.” Luna’s voice seemed deeper than usual, and elegant in a way she’d never been herself.

“... Princess?” Light Breeze rasped, stretching a hoof out toward her. “He...hel…”

Adam looked between Light Breeze and the newcomers, while Moira stared in shocked fascination. With each passing moment, he seemed more and more put off by the slowly reversing nature of the situation.

“Now hold on,” he growled, rising to his feet. “I found her first, so I have first dibs, Shira and the rest of my gang will be here any minute, and you don’t—”

But he didn’t get to finish his thought, because Moira was already racing forward, wrapping her arms around the filly’s neck. “Oh my fucking gods! She’s a little darling!”

Adam bristled, but Luna commanded his attention, turning his gaze away from his prey, and the fawning older woman.

“Our subject appears to be in a great deal of distress,” she spoke, carrying the air of a disappointed queen. “You will explain how she has come to be that way.”

Adam instinctively reached behind himself, fumbling for a gun or knife, but, given the circumstances, he’d come to his father’s little camping trip unarmed. Cursing under his breath, he shrugged his shoulders, and smiled as best he could. Right now, his nerves were electric with magic, and he’d never been this full before in his life—why was he so afraid of this woman? He still had control of the situation.

“You mean, how did I stumble upon a pegasus in the middle of nowhere?” he asked, deflecting her question. “There’s not much to it, really, but I’ll tell you everything I know.” Reaching out his hand, as if offering her to take it, he smiled. “You just have to let me in.”

If Luna noticed the magic at work, she made no sign of it, and Adam pushed forward, extending himself beyond his eyes, beyond his body. Shira had taught him all about entering another person’s mind, experiencing their thoughts, guiding them along by suggestion—in a few moments, he’d have the taller woman eating out of his palm, and the smaller witch would be easy prey.

But what he found beyond his body is not what he was expecting, at all. Silhouetted against the witch’s body was a dark blue specter, a mare much like Owen, but vastly larger in size. From her crown spiraled a horn, matching her gleaming coat, and her mane flowed around her in the breeze, tiny constellations swirling around her. From around her side, a smaller mare poked out her face and frowned, fangs peeking out over her lips.

“I think you’ll find this vessel is a bit crowded at the moment.” Artemis glared, eyes shining in the half-light of the dense forest. The rushing stream behind them seemed to accentuate her words, illustrating to Adam just how quickly control of the situation was flowing away from him.

“However, invitations such as these go both ways. If your master failed to teach you this, then they have done you a grave disservice.” The mare—the goddess—was speaking now, and Adam could not pry his eyes away from her. There’s no chance anyone in his gang could consume the amount of magic radiating from her being, their bodies would simply break down. With a breath, she stepped free from Artemis’s body and brushed past him. “I will have the answers I seek, one way or another.

Before Adam could even respond, he felt awareness of the world around him falling away, and his very being tumbled with the violent shifting of events around him, it was like being drugged, like collapsing into a drunken heap for the first time. It was like having everything that made him “him” violently ripped out of his hands. He could only look on in horror, as though from a great distance, as his body picked itself back up, dusted itself off, and calmly spoke, “We must move with purpose now, my student. This boy’s threat was not idle.”

Boy? Boy? No one had referred to him so dismissively in years. Adam opened his mouth to speak, to rage, to lash out in every way he could, physically or magically, but the mare inhabiting his body only turned, meeting his eyes. In place of brown, they were a brilliant turquoise blue, like a crystal clear ocean at midday. The current carrying Adam away intensified, until all he could see was inky blackness.


“Christ on a cracker you’re heavy,” Moira grunted, one arm wrapped around Light Breeze’s barrel to help support her weight. Luckily, enough time had passed that Light could speak again, and eventually she managed to get her legs under herself. She eyed Adam dubiously, but the older boy carried himself with a completely different bearing, and his eyes were not his own.

“Sorry…” She cried softly, feeling overwhelmed. “I’m sorry…”

The road was close now, and Moira eased her down so she could lower the tailgate and raise a section of the cap to offer more space to climb up. “Adam” climbed up into the bed of the truck first, and stretched out his arms to help—even compared to how he was before, the boy was wickedly strong.

Luna, she reminded herself. That’s Luna right now.

Sucking in a deep breath, Light Breeze prepared to pull herself up into the truck bed, but stopped when Moira wrapped her arms around her tightly.

“Hold up,” Moira ordered, combing a hand through the soft hairs of her coat. She brushed it back and forth along the width of her neck, and if Light’s knees weren’t capable of locking in place, she’d probably have teetered over.

“What is it?” Artemis frowned, nursing what appeared to be a massive headache, coming up from behind. “Did you see something?”

“Maybe,” Moira frowned. “Selene, can you look this over for me?”

“I am presently engaged,” Adam replied with a royal cadance. “But, help the filly up, and I will take a look.”

Working together, Artemis, Moira, and Selene managed to hoist the young filly up into the hold of the truck, the chassis sagging under her weight, before rising back up, rocking in place.

After a few moments of combing through, Selene pursed her lips, or rather, Adam’s lips. “I don’t see any…”

There, half hidden by hair and dug into the skin of the filly’s neck, was a shadowy black cord, sticky like spider silk.

“Oh my gods,” Moira whispered while Light Breeze shifted about, struggling to see for herself.

“What is it?” the filly whimpered, feeling increasingly anxious. “Did you find something?”

“We did.” Selene brushed her side in an attempt to reassure her. Knowing it was the princess and seeing her brother proved to be two separate things, though, and Light Breeze reflexively recoiled from her touch. Frowning, Selene pulled her hand back and settled in against the opposite wall of the truck bed. “I’m beginning to understand what might be keeping you here in the first place.” The princess wrapped her arms around herself uncomfortably, and closed her eyes. “For now, get some rest, we have a long drive ahead of us. “Artemis, Moira? It is now more important than ever that we transport my subject to a warded location.”

Moira nodded eagerly, but Artemis was still wrestling with the whiplash of being ridden and the goddess’s subsequent sudden departure.

Light Breeze lowered her ears as the tailgate went up and hatch went down, wishing that she could just have a few minutes of peace, time to revel in being free of her awful human body. “Princess? Everything is okay, right?”

Shifting in place, all Light Breeze could see of the princess in the dark was her eyes, which shined their old familiar color, that at least was comforting.

“It will be,” she replied. “Now, rest.”


“Do not ignore me!” Adam shouted, wrestling in the darkness. In here, in dreams, his form was inconstant, shifting back and forth between all the various forms of people he’d… “known” in the past. Right now, his hair was long, strawberry blonde, and he wore the face of a girl who was all too familiar to him. They’d been dating when he met Shira, and part of his initiation had been leading her to them, like a lamb to the slaughter.

But gods, the first taste of magic he took from her had made it all worth it. Now he raged with her voice, her features shifting to that of a quiet man they’d ambushed on the street a few months later.

“You can’t keep me here forever…” he whimpered. It’d been years since he’d had a single, solitary dream—but that was normal, everybody said so.

“I am not ignoring you,” a woman’s voice echoed from the deep. The goddess of the moon stepped from the shadows, towering over him here. “And I have no intention of doing so. You are of the darkness now, Adam Hall, and the darkness is my domain.”

That gave Adam some pause, and his wildly fluctuating form halted while terror seized him, he knew what he had done to others, and the prospect of a “god” visiting the same on him…

“Be at peace, those days are far behind me.” She pressed forward, her nose to his cheek. “They can be behind you as well, if you wish it to be so.”

“I d-don’t know what you’re talking about,” he warbled. “I need magic, you don’t. You can’t possibly understand!”

Luna pulled away, a look of sadness in her eyes. “No, Adam, it is you who does not understand. You are a victim of this world as much as Light Breeze—as much as Owen, your father, everyone—and I will not let you or any of them go, ever.” She lingered, body framed by the darkness. “I can be… quite a bit more aggressive than my sister when it comes to rehabilitation. But, then, she never understood the stakes quite so well as I.”

Adam listened for her, searched for her presence with wary eyes, but now he was alone, and in that moment, he realized with terror his one burning wish—that she’d come back, because even having her here to rage against was better than being alone.

How had he lost control so thoroughly? How could this have happened to him? It was Owen, had to be. This was all his fault.

Shira would come looking for him, except… no, no she wouldn’t. He understood that better than most. If he was gone, that meant he’d been captured, and that meant he was a liability. Whatever she and the others were doing now, it wouldn’t be planning a rescue. More likely they’d be moving shop across the country, ditching apartments and luxury lofts for RVs and trailers.

In the darkness of what remained of his own dreams, Adam hugged himself tightly, and wept for all that he had lost.

Author's Note:

This chapter was written entirely by my sister Solana, who also helps me on all of my stories. She was quite passionate about it!

Moira - surprisingly adorable.
Selene - appropriately terrifying.
Adam - absolutely screwed.

At last, Light Breeze gets to be herself all of the time! Even if some of that time she isn't going to be home - for now. We'll find out what's keeping her next time!

Please comment below.