• Published 20th Oct 2020
  • 781 Views, 24 Comments

Maud Slam - Jarvy Jared



Maud Pie enters a poetry slam competition, but her confidence in her writing is shaken by the arrival of an old acquaintance.

  • ...
2
 24
 781

Stanza 1


Maud Slam

By Jarvy Jared


La Galería Sestina (the name was printed humbly across the front) was, undoubtedly, the most Spaneish-looking building that Maud had ever seen. It had sand-colored walls and pepper-red awnings that covered the exterior in a pleasant amount of shade. The windows had ornate carvings transcribed onto the glass. The mahogany door was held back by a green chalkboard menu, on which were listed the day’s specials, in both plain Equish and Spaneish. Beyond the door, ponies sat at round wooden tables, sipping at coffee or dipping pastries into them, or reading a newspaper under the light of copper lamps. The smell of bagels gently wafted through the air and into her nose, and for a moment, Maud forgot for what reason she stood in front of it.

The sound of flapping drew her attention away from the delicious smell. Her eyes followed a dark form as it landed, quite suddenly, atop the menu. It was a raven, and its beady, red eyes blinked curiously at her. Maud stared back, intrigued. Ravens were a rare sight in the inner city of San Franciscolt, and she doubted it had been drawn here by the temptation of bagels. After a few moments had passed, the raven let out a single squawk—not even a full word—then darted back into the sky, vanishing from view.

“Well. That’s certainly ominous.”

“I don’t know. I think it’s kind of fitting.”

Maud turned her head. Next to her were Starlight and Trixie, and both of them were looking at the spot that the raven had just vacated. “Fitting how, Starlight?” Trixie said.

“Think about it,” Starlight said. “That’s a raven. We’re standing outside what’s supposed to be the place where the poetry slam is being held. And everypony knows that a raven was the subject of a very famous poem. You’ve heard of it, haven’t you, Maud?”

Maud nodded. “It’s all right. For a poem not about rocks.”

“See? Fitting!”

They went inside, the bell chiming behind them. Starlight looked around the cafe. “You know, I still can’t believe this is where it’s going to be held. It looks so small, you know? Where are they going to have a stage? Actually, are they?”

“The reservation said it would be here,” Maud replied.

“Oh! Are you here for the poetry slam, then?” That was one of the ponies in the line. After Maud had nodded, the pony pointed towards the side of the cafe, where a stone staircase descended into the basement level. “It’s going to be held down there. Say! Are you competing?”

She was looking at Starlight for some reason. “Just me,” Maud said.

The pony’s eyes swiveled in her direction, and for a moment, surprise flashed through them. “Oh! Well, in any case, good luck! You’d better get seated right away. They want every competitor to be there on time.”

“The cafe doesn’t mind?” Starlight asked.

“Not at all! In fact, you’ll be able to come up during intermission for food and drinks!”

Maud thanked the pony and began to trot towards the stairs. Hearing her friends follow, she turned around. “You know. You don’t have to come.”

“Maud Pie,” Starlight said with a slight huff, “we did not come all this way just to drink coffee and eat bagels while you performed before a live audience.”

“So we,” Trixie added, smiling, “are most certainly going to come with you!”

Maud couldn’t help but smile. So be it. Together, the three trotted down the stairs.