• Published 31st Aug 2012
  • 1,765 Views, 39 Comments

The Herald - darkangel_31314



Young, innocent, cute, and makes Gods cry. She is known only as 'The Herald.'

  • ...
11
 39
 1,765

Popcorn!

Trixie was having another really bad day. She trotted along, her cape dragging along behind her, occasionally stopping to shake off pieces of tomato or lettuce from her mane.

"Stupid townsponies... stupid Twilight... stupid AUGH!"

She stopped in the middle of the road. Ever since that incident with the Ursa Minor last year, her luck had gone downhill like a cart with no brakes. With out her trailer and stage, she's had to make due with town squares to put on her shows. But apparently word had gotten around what happened. This was the third town in as many weeks she's been run out of.

"Just wait until the Great and Powerful Trixie gets back on her hooves!" She turned, and shouted back at the town. "JUST YOU WAIT!"

*munch* *munch* *munch*

The effect was the same as dragging the needle of a record player: Everything stopped.

*munch* *munch* *munch*

Trixie quickly looked around and spotted something so far out of the ordinary it took more than three seconds for her mind to process what she was seeing:

Sitting on a nearby rock, a white unicorn filly with a curly golden mane and happy emerald eyes sat with a bucket of popcorn held between her forehooves, watching Trixie have her breakdown.

"What... are you looking at?" The mare asked, dumbfounded.

"You."

"Why?"

"Why not?"

Trixie had absolutely NO answer for that.

"Want some popped corn?" The filly tilted the bucket forward slightly.

"No. Trixie thanks you." She turned away.

"And here I thought you had gotten over that incident in Ponyville."

Trixie jerked to a halt again. Glaring over her shoulder at the filly; "What? Come to stare and make fun of me?"

"No. I'm here to talk to you. My Teacher told me to."

"Your teacher needs to get a life." She humphed.

"My Teacher had one. But she's too busy to talk to you, so she sent me instead."

"I rest my case." Trixie said and started walk again.

The filly shrugged and buried her nose back into the bucket.

*munch* *munch* *munch*

Trixie paused, and looked back again in confusion. "Is that it?"

The filly chewed and canted her head, flicking an ear, before swallowing and looking at Trixie with shining emerald eyes. "My Teacher knows everything, Miss Lulamoon, and she says that it would probably be a good idea to sit and have popped corn with me."

Trixie's face fell. "... how... how do you...?" How did this filly know her name?

"Like I said..." The filly just smiled. "... my Teacher knows everything." She canted the bucket toward the showmare. "Popped corn?"

Trixie stepped off the road and sat beside the rock, levitating several kernels out of the bucket and slowly ate them one at a time, eying the filly suspiciously. Something was going on here...

“Popped corn is my favorite food." The filly begins. "It is soft, sweet, and my Teacher lets me have as much as I want. She allows me to have a bit of salt on it, even though I’m still only a filly, and when she makes it the butter is spread just right across every kernel. Sometimes, whenever Teacher gets a break from her very important job, she even joins me! Somehow, it tastes even better when she’s there. She makes the best popped corn!"

Trixie could only nod.

“I also like it because it makes ponies become friends. You see, it is part of my job. One time when I was very little, I asked my Teacher what my name was. It was strange, as I don’t remember my name, or where I was born, or even my parents. She gave me a wonderful smile, and a bucket of popped corn, and said that it doesn’t matter. She told me I am whom I want to be. So, whenever I share my popped corn with somepony and they ask me my name, I tell them to call me Herald."

The filly beamed proudly. “Teacher was proud when I told her I choose it myself! I choose it because that’s what I do; I am my Teacher’s Herald."

Trixie shook her head. "Do you even know what that means?" How could such a young filly be so observant? She couldn't be more than 6 or 7 years old!

The filly nodded. “She explained to me that whenever ponies are sad or being bad, and needed to be talked to, she sends me. She would like to go herself, but she has an important job, and can’t talk to them anyway. Her voice can shatter rock - she even showed me once! It was neat. So she has me talk to them, or she talks through me – it’s really weird, but feels really good. Teacher tells me what to say, and I say it, and I make ponies happy. I often share my popped corn with them, and they no longer are sad or do bad things.

“Sometimes, however, those ponies don’t want to be good ponies, and they don’t want Teacher to stop them. That makes me sad, especially when they try to hurt me. They can’t, however, because I have what Teacher called ‘Wards’ on me. She put them on me because I’m just a filly, and she doesn’t want me to get hurt when I go talk to those bad ponies for her. When they try to hurt me, there is a white flash, and they go flying backwards. It looks like it hurts, but Teacher doesn’t want to hurt them, so they’re not really hurt just ‘stunned’ as she calls it. I try to warn them, but sometimes they don’t listen, and I have to sit there and wait for them to wake up and explain that my Teacher doesn’t want them to do bad things."

Trixie frowned, looking the filly over. "What happens if they refuse?" That had to have happened before...

“One pony asked that." The filly frowned as well. "That made Teacher very mad. She had me tell him that if he doesn’t, then she would have to come down there and make him stop, and that would be very bad because Teacher is a very important pony, and Miss Celestia and Miss Luna would learn about it. Teacher doesn’t want to disturb Miss Celestia and Miss Luna. They are also very important ponies who have a whole country to run, and Teacher doesn’t want them to stop being Princesses to rush over and greet her and have fancy parties and such."

... that answered THAT question...

The filly stuck out her tongue. “Those fancy parties can be so boring! Teacher let me go to one once, and there were no games or balloons, or even popped corn! Just a bunch of fancy ponies dressed up and talking about boring things, and eating food that didn’t even taste good."

"They aren't that bad." Trixie sighed. "Trixie wishes she could get invited to one."

The filly looked thoughtful. “There is this one pony that Teacher keeps an eye on, she lives in Ponyville. Her name is Pinkie Pie. Teacher says that she throws wonderful parties. She has games like Pin the Tail on the Pony, Bobbing for Apples, Twister, food like cake, ice cream, and plenty of popped corn! I hope I get to go to one of her parties soon! Teacher says that Pinkie Pie and her friends are very important ponies, and if something happens, I may get to meet them. I think that would be so neat!"

Trixie frowned. "... really..." Ponyville... what did that town always haunt her?

“I hope that if I do, we have time for a party after I talk to them for my Teacher. Maybe even Teacher could get a break from her important job to have fun with us. That would be so neat!"

Trixie sighed. "Trixie does not think that would be fun, little filly. Ponyville has problems."

"No they don't." The filly eyes the mare. "You have the problem. Just listen to yourself, referring to yourself in the third person. You've buried yourself so far in your show persona that you have lost touch with reality around you. You are constantly having to prove yourself better than everypony just to validate your existence. If you changed up your routine to show actual magic rather than fake stories and making fun of everypony, you might find friends. Just like I do."

Trixie blinked in suprise. How did this foal know all of this?

"The unicorn that showed you up in Ponyville used to be like you once. Nose stuck in books, ignoring the world around her. When she went to Ponyville, she met friends, and has been constantly growing in power since, far surpassing you." The filly poked Trixie on the nose. "Talk to her. You might find the power, fame, and recognition that you've been seeking your entire life."

The showmare could only stare in rapt confusion. "... how...?" Her mind was churning over and over the information. It was... it was so obvious...

Why had she not seen this before?

"Teacher has had me doing this for a few years now, Miss Lulamoon." The filly just grinned.

The two sat there for a few moments, before the filly tilted the bucket toward the mare again.

"Popcorn?"