• Published 10th Oct 2020
  • 1,996 Views, 149 Comments

Spikenautica - PhysicistBrony

  • ...
1
 149
 1,996

Chapter 14: Sadness

After a peaceful night of sleep and breakfast, Spike and Fluttershy were ready to start their day. "So Fluttershy, do you want to come with me to the Aurora?" Spike asked, very nonchalantly. Fluttershy whipped around and gave Spike a look that said "are you crazy?" and then started shaking her head quickly. "Oh nonononono! I don't want to go anywhere near that burning radioactive wreck. Why would you even think of going there?" Spike looked at Fluttershy with confusion on his face.

"Um, so we can repair long range comms and try to contact the nearest place with anypony who can rescue us? Fluttershy if I had a choice I wouldn't go anywhere near that ship, but if we want a chance of being rescued, we need to get on that ship." Fluttershy thought about this for a minute, then answered with a firm voice, "Fine, but I'm coming with. I know the ship's layout well enough and any technical issues we might encounter, like broken doors, I can fix enough for us to be able to get in."

"Ok then, we are going to go to the Aurora today." Spike said with determination. As they started to grab stuff to prepare for the trip, Spike noticed they didn't have a radio built in their base yet. He then grabbed out the habitat builder, one piece of titanium, and one piece of copper. He then built the radio right next to the locker on the right side of it. As soon as he was done building it, the radio started to flash, showing that it had received a message. Spike then quickly pressed play and Fluttershy came over to listen to the message as well.

"Playing pre-recorded distress call."

"Is there anypony out there?" The voice of Applejack was heard clear as day. Spike and Fluttershy looked at each other, relieved to find out that their friends had made it off of the Aurora safely.

"Ah got Rarity with me, but we can't get to the meet up point because of the radiation and havin' no suits to swim through it with."

"If anypony is listenin', we could really use some help. And a way to get Rare's to stop whinein'… sorry complainin'.

"Transmission coordinates corrupted, downloading picture of the area around the life pod."

Both of our survivors looked at each and came to a silent agreement. They would put off their journey to the Aurora so that they could save Applejack and Rarity. Though Spike was hoping that by saving Rarity, he could try to woo her with his heroism, not that he didn't care about Applejack, but wooing Rarity was slightly more important to him. Fluttershy only cared that both of their friends would be alive and uninjured, or at least hadn't torn each other apart from their extremely different viewpoints on almost everything.

As they prepared to leave, they decided that Fluttershy would drive the Seamoth and Spike would hang onto the back, that way he could see behind them for any danger. As they were leaving, Spike pulled up his PDA to give Fluttershy a general direction after looking at the clue left by the message. "*Blip* Ok Fluttershy, we need to head towards the front of the Aurora, but still to the side of it. We should see the life pod inside of the red grassy place. Does that make any sense? *Blip*" After Fluttershy answered with a simple yes, they started to make their way over to the general location of where the life pod should be.

During their trip, Fluttershy would occasionally bring the Seamoth just under the surface, that way Spike could refill his oxygen tank. As they began getting closer to the Aurora, Spike could hear faint roaring, but looked around and saw nothing. "Meh, it was probably some fish stuck in a cave." Spike thought, actually hoping he was right. Pretty soon, Fluttershy stopped the Seamoth and so that they could discuss the plan for finding Applejack and Rarity.

"*Blip* Ok Spike, I think we are nearing the area that Applejack's life pod went down. Are we going to stick together or are we going to split up to look for them? *Blip*" Spike thought for a minute and then decided that they would stay together. Fluttershy then dove back down with the Seamoth and they both started to look around for the life pod, hoping to possibly see one of their friends swimming around.

After around half an hour of searching, Fluttershy finally spotted the life pod resting on the floor of the endless ocean planet. Sadly, there was a giant hole blown out of the life pod, meaning something horrible must have happened. Fluttershy quickly drove the Seamoth to the life pod and got out so that she and Spike could search for any signs of their friends. As they were looking around, Spike saw the all too familiar blue glow of an abandoned PDA.

Spike quickly grabbed it and told Fluttershy to get into the Seamoth and have them both ascend. After breaking the surface Spike played the message so Fluttershy could hear it as well.

"Rare's, you gotta calm down. Does it look like we're dyin'?"

"It doesn't matter, I still want to know when we are getting rescued."

"Well the Aurora crashed, so I don't think we're gettin' help anytime soon."

"Well then what Applejack? Are we supposed to just sit on our flanks and wait until somepony comes to save us?"

"No, we're gonna go to the meet up point Twilight set up for us, but we're gonna need proper protection from the radiation in-between here and there."

"Well don't expect me to go swimming out there. My mane would never get back to normal. Ugh, this is The! Worst! Possible! Thing!"

"*Sigh* Don't worry sugarcube. I'll go out."

Spike and Fluttershy looked at each other and could imagine the whole conversation going down. "Well," Spike started, "at least they started to make radiation suits, but what happened to them?" Fluttershy then nervously pulled out another PDA she had found sitting in the life pod, right next to a chunk of lead. "Well, I found this sitting inside the life pod. Maybe it can tell us?" With that, Fluttershy played the recording.

"*Sound of somepony entering the life pod* Now what in tarnation are you doin'?!"

"Oh, well you were gone so long, I was going to use the flare and see if I could get someponies attention."

"Stop wavin' that around. I'm here, am I not?"

"Well, I don't know how to put it-"

An explosion is then heard and the recording cuts out. Spike and Fluttershy stare at the PDA in utter shock. "N-no… it can't be…" Spike trails off. They then start the journey home and arrive back at their base silently just sitting inside not saying a word. Fluttershy glances over to see Spike hunched over and shuddering. "S-Spike? Are you ok?"

Fluttershy slowly goes over to Spike to give him a comforting hug. As Fluttershy got closer, she could hear silent sobbing from Spike, further causing her to want to comfort him. She slowly wrapped him in a hug and tried to comfort him. "W-why… why is i-it nopony besides you and me made it?" Fluttershy barely heard Spike ask, but unable to think of an answer.

Slowly, the events of everything that happened began to weigh on Spike and Fluttershy and neither of them could handle it much longer. The two of them spent the rest of the day hugging each other and crying over the loss of their friends and family. Spike was extremely saddened by the loss of Twilight and Rarity while Fluttershy was equally saddened by the death of all of their friends this far. Slowly, Spike and Fluttershy cried themselves to sleep, still hugging each other, just like the day Spike rescued Fluttershy; only having each other for support.

Author's Note:

I know, it's not very long and took forever to come out, but at least I finally finished it.
The life pod used here was number 6.