• Published 4th Oct 2020
  • 5,370 Views, 119 Comments

Washed Out - Rated Ponystar



An older Scootaloo meets a ruined Lightning Dust years later

  • ...
5
 119
 5,370

The Shattered Lightning

Princess Twilight Sparkle was glad she had read so many books in her life while also having near-perfect memory. Her “Inner Library,” as she often called it, was useful in helping entertain herself whenever she was bored or unable to sleep. She found herself using this technique of hers more often since becoming a Princess nine years ago. Twilight was a lover of charts, lists, and discussing important details for her kingdom, but only if it was something interesting or important. Hearing a hours long dispute between two noble landowners about a piece of land that was only ten feet wide, and demanding it be given to them alone, was not either of those.

I’ll take another evil overlord trying to rule the world any day other than this, Twilight thought as she mentally tossed away another book from her Inner Library. That’s the “Lexicon of Wishcast’s Theory of Metaphysical Magics,” “Starswirl the Bearded's Guide to Transfiguration Volume IX,” and “My Sunny Life: The Biography of Princess Celestia” all read...and they still won’t stop talking about some stupid piece of land?!

It was times like these that Twilight wanted to hunt down the former rulers of Equestria and strap their flanks to the royal seats while tossing her crown at them. Taking a deep breath, Twilight calmed herself before glancing at the clock. Four in the afternoon? Yup, I’m ending this.

“Gentleponies,” Twilight spoke firmly, getting their attention as they ceased their bickering. “After spending...hours hearing your arguments, I’m going to take the rest of the day to come to a decision and get back to you tomorrow. I have other business to attend that cannot be delayed.”

Horse Apples. She had the entire day free save for this incident, and that went on for seven hours, eating valuable time Twilight wanted to have for herself. Of course, the nobles didn’t need to know that. After gathering their papers and charts, the two fancy-dressed earth ponies bowed before taking their leave. When the door finally closed, Twilight groaned and slammed her head against the meeting table. “Finally! I thought they’d never leave! My butt’s so numb I can’t feel my tailbone.”

“At least you're able to sit and don't have to wear this heavy armor,” Gallus said, stretching his wings and legs. “I haven’t had to stand still this long since I was a private.”

“Well, Lieutenant Gallus,” Twilight said, getting off her seat with a smile. “Perhaps we both can take the rest of our day off with ease. Besides, I believe a certain hippogriff ambassador would be happy to see her fiance earlier than usual.”

Twilight couldn’t help but giggle upon seeing the small blush on her griffin guard’s face. Even after being together for years, and finally proposing two months ago, Gallus was still easily flushed about his relationship with Silverstream. Not that she would seriously make fun of it. Twilight had been happy to help Gallus and Silverstream with their relationship. “Have you two decided on a wedding date?”

“Yeah, next summer,” Gallus said, walking out of the meeting room with Twilight behind him. A few of the other Royal Guards saluted or bowed as they walked down the hall. “We have it at Mount Aries, naturally, and Queen Novo is going to handle everything. Which is fine by me since planning weddings aren’t my thing. Silver wants to invite everyone we know to it. You’ll be coming too, right?”

“Wouldn’t miss it for the world,” Princess Twilight said, smiling. “Everyone seems to be getting married these past few years. Starlight and Sunburst. Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich. Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Apple Bloom and Tender Taps. Yona and Sandbar. Now you and Silverstream.”

“Feeling left out?” Gallus asked. “I’ve never seen you date any creature before.”

“There was one...” Twilight whispered, thinking about the Flash Sentry from the other world. She quickly pushed those thoughts away as it was just not possible. “But it wasn’t going to work out.”

Especially since the Flash in this world is into stallions and not mares...

“Well, I guess it’s their loss,” Gallus said, shrugging. “So, you wanna get something to eat? I’m kinda famished.”

Before she could answer, one of her other Royal Guards, a pegasus, bowed as he stood in front of the two. “Excuse me, Princess? There’s someone here to see you. Her name is Scootaloo. Do you know her?”

“Scootaloo? Yes, I know her,” Twilight said in surprise. She hadn’t seen Scootaloo since she went to check up on things at the Friendship Academy a few months ago. It had surprised everyone when Scootaloo decided to quit extreme skating and take up teaching instead. Still, Starlight said she was one of her most popular teachers. “Is something wrong?”

“She just said she needed your help with something, and it sounded urgent,” The Pegasus Guard said.

“I see,” Twilight bit her lip before turning to Gallus. “Sorry, Gallus, but I have to go.”

“No worries, tell Scoots I said hello,” Gallus said with a salute before flying off.

Princess Twilight nodded to the pegasus guard to guide her. While she walked down the Canterlot Palace halls, she tried to think about what Scootaloo needed help with. Usually, she goes to her friends or Rainbow Dash for help. Is it a friendship related problem? Or something she just can’t tell the others? Well, whatever the case, I’ll be sure to help.

It didn’t take her long to arrive at her living quarters, which held Scootaloo inside, waiting on a cushioned seat next to her tea set table. Scootaloo quickly got up and bowed. “Princess Twilight! Thanks for seeing me.”

“Scootaloo, you don’t need to bow to me,” Twilight said, shaking her head with a smile. “I’ve known you ever since you were a filly adventuring around to find your cutie mark. You can be informal with me.”

“R-right, sorry,” Scootaloo said as she got up, rubbing the back of her head. The two friends quickly hugged each other as the royal guard bowed and took his leave.

When finished with their hug, Twilight motioned for Scootaloo to sit down and began to pour some tea for the young crusader. “So, how are things at the Academy?”

“Pretty good,” Scootaloo said, accepting a cup before sipping it a bit. “Nothing special.”

“I see,” Twilight replied, taking a few sips of her own brew. “Rainbow Dash and Applejack doing okay?”

“Yup, they’re still discussing adoption,” Scootaloo replied, shrugging. “Though I think Little Mac is more than enough for them and his parents to have. That colt is always going on crazy adventures in the Everfree Forest. It gets him grounded harder than that time the girls and I nearly started that fire trying to get our Firefighter Cutie Marks.”

Twilight felt her eye twitch upon remembering that little incident. If there was ever a time, I was grateful for learning water spells in my third year...

“Then, are things okay with your other friends?” Twilight asked, tilting her head.

“Yeah, they’re fine,” Scootaloo said before sighing. Her eyes went downward as she seemed to be lost in her thoughts. “Nothing is wrong with our friends or family, Twilight. They’re fine.”

“Then why do you need my advice?” Twilight asked, putting her cup down. Her eyes settled on Scootaloo for a long time before the alicorn princess used her hoof to lift her head up. “Scootaloo, you can trust me with anything.”

“...my nineteenth birthday is coming up soon,” Scootaloo said, rubbing the back of her head. “A lot of ponies and creatures I know are coming, but...I want to bring somepony that I’m afraid will cause...problems...especially with Rainbow Dash.”

“With Rainbow?” Twilight asked, eyebrows raised. “I can’t think of anypony in Equestria who would have a problem with...oh...wait a minute.” There was a name that clicked in Twilight’s head that she hadn’t thought about for a long time. Somepony who did have issues with Rainbow Dash and the same could be said in reverse. “Lightning Dust? You want to invite Lightning Dust to your birthday?”

“Yeah,” Scootaloo said, nodding her head. “I know that it's strange considering everything she’s done-”

“Scootaloo, her attitude nearly got my friends and me killed,” Twilight said. She fashed back to when the five of them went to the Wonderbolt Academy to see how Dash was doing. It was before she got her wings and neatly fell to her death if it wasn’t for her fast friend saving their hides. “Not to mention her recklessness could have gotten you killed as well if Rainbow hadn’t saved you from that stupid stunt! She clearly doesn’t understand safety or the care of others while being arrogant and-”

“Twilight, I get it!” Scootaloo shouted, putting her hoof down. “But she’s not like that anymore! If you were to see her now, you’d swear she was a different pony all together! She doesn’t need any more anger directed at her! She needs...she needs...” Scootaloo lowered her head and sighed. “She needs help, Twilight. She needs a friend because she has nothing left.”

The sorrowful tone in Scootaloo’s voice made Twilight pause and slowly calm down. Sipping her cup to help her relax, Twilight said, “Why don’t you start at the beginning?”

Nodding, Scootaloo sat down. “It was a few weeks ago...”

***

While she had years to overcome the harsh disappointment that she was born without the ability to truly fly, Scootaloo really hated getting stared at because of it. It rarely happens anymore, save for specific situations. Such as the one she was in now.

“Final stop! Cloudsdale Station! Please make sure that you have taken your cloud walking potions or used the spell! Watch the edges, and do not panic if you fall over! We have teams all over the city standing by to assist you should the worst happen!” The Conductor said as the airship docked into the sky port. “Please enjoy your stay, and thank you for riding on Equestrian Air!”

Scootaloo blushed slightly as a few earth ponies and unicorns stared at her a bit longer before exiting the airship. Sighing, Scootaloo walked forward before focusing her inner pegasus magic. A small metal box on her back began to glow green as a colored aurora surrounded her unnaturally little wings. The magical energy constructed to a broader set of wings evolved Scootaloo’s own as she flew as fast as she could out of the air dock bay.

Her embarrassment soon faded into excitement as she felt the wind against her face and her heart beating like a drum. Even after using the revolutionary Gale Aura Device, courtesy of the reformed Flim and Flam brothers, she treasured every moment of flying for more than a year. Even if, sadly, it didn’t last long.

A beeping noise from a red flashing light warned Scootaloo that her ten minutes were almost up, and she quickly landed on the nearest street. I really hope they can invent one that lasts longer or has a faster recharge pack.

Looking around, Scootaloo rubbed the back of her chin. “Now where did Mom and Dad tell me they wanted to meet up again? You’d think they’d give me directions for our lunch date.”

Scootaloo walked forward, trying to find the restaurant that her parents told her about. She passed by numerous shops, stores, and more before finally spotting it down the street about a mile away. She was about to rush forward when she felt her hooves trip upon something and landed face-first into the clouds.

“Hey! Watch it! I’m sleeping here!”

Shaking her head, Scootaloo got up and glared. “Well, next time, sleep in a bed...you...Dust?”

Scootaloo’s eyes widened with her mouth wide open in shock. She was seeing a similar expression on the older pegasus that Scootaloo hadn’t seen in nearly nine years, but it was an easy recognition. Well, somewhat because the Lightning Dust that Scootaloo had known wasn’t near bald, covered in rags, and smelled like a hobo. Not to mention the Lightning Dust in front of her was covered in bruises, dirt, and scabs that looked to be weeks old. Her teeth were hideously yellow, and her eyes were near bloodshot while widened in fear.

“L-Lightning Dust? Is that you?” Scootaloo asked, stepping forward.

“Y-You have the wrong pony! Leave me alone!” Lightning Dust shouted, backing up into a cardboard box. Scootaloo took a moment to look inside and saw old newspapers spread out with a moldy old pillow in the back. A crumbled up water bottle, penny jar, and wrappers of candy bars were among the items scattered around the box.

Scootaloo wasn’t super smart like Sweetie Belle, but she was far from stupid. It didn’t take a genius to look at Lightning Dust’s looks and where she had been previously laying to understand what was going on. It was just a process of actually believing it that Scootaloo was lacking.

“Are you...what...” Scootaloo could only say before Lightning Dust growled at her.

“I said, leave me alone!” The dirty pegasus growled, forcing Scootaloo back.

“HEY!”

In an instant, Lightning Dust’s expression changed to one of utter fear. A look that Scootaloo had never seen on her before in her past knowledge of worshiping her once. The Lightning Dust she knew, the Washout who dared to the extreme, was looking like a mouse afraid of being eaten by a cat. Said cat was a pegasus police officer who flew down and glared at Dust with a look that could kill. “Are you bothering this pony, bum?! I thought I told you to take your sorry homeless flank out of here and stop loitering around! You want to spend another night in the slammer?!”

“I’m sorry! I-I’m l-l-leaving!” Lightning Dust cried out, rushing to grab all her stuff while glancing at Scootaloo occasionally. “P-Please! Just let me go!”

The officer was silent, but never once stopped glaring at Lightning Dust as if she was some kind of vermin. Scootaloo looked around and saw that they were getting some bystander attention. However, they seemed to be just like the officer, looking down at Lightning Dust as if she was dirt. No, dirt doesn’t get glares like that.

“H-hey,” Scootaloo said, getting the officer’s attention. “It was my fault. I didn’t look where I was going. Just let her go, okay? I’m fine with it.”

The officer raised an eyebrow before scoffing. “Fine, get out of here, you bum.”

“T-thank you!” Lightning Dust said, nodding her head. She took one more look at Scootaloo before flying off.

“Sorry about that, Ma’am,” The officer said, smiling as he tilted his hat. “That homeless pony likes to just sleep on the streets here after always asking for money. Some store owners keep complaining about how she always causes customers to avoid their stores, so they keep asking her to leave, but she never does. Stubborn thing, huh?”

Scootaloo wanted to say she was just trying to earn money. Still, the idea of even saying that about Lightning Dust of all ponies couldn’t come out. The officer just waved goodbye as Scootaloo stood there, staring at the spot that Lightning Dust had left.

She suddenly didn’t feel hungry anymore.

***

“Lightning Dust is...homeless?” Twilight asked in shock. Of all things she had expected to happen to the former daredevil this was far from it. Her heart quickly felt sympathy for Lightning Dust, even if she had caused problems before. Nopony deserves to be homeless...

“Yeah, and I found out why...” Scootaloo said before continuing.

***

It took three days, but Scootaloo finally found somepony who had seen a pegasus matching Lightning Dust’s description a few streets down in an alley. She had a basket of food and juice that she made for the upcoming meeting in her mouth. A part of Scootaloo didn’t know why she was doing this without telling somepony like Rainbow Dash or her fellow Crusaders. Maybe it's because there was a time you wanted to be like her?

Turning around the corner, she saw Lightning Dust sitting inside her cardboard box. Staring at a brick wall with dull and near lifeless eyes. They soon lit up upon seeing Lightning Dust stare at her. When she was in front of the homeless mare, Scootaloo put the basket down. "Hi, Lightning. Do you remember me?"

"Yeah..." Lightning Dust scoffed and turned her head away. “What do you want, kid?”

“I’m not a kid anymore,” Scootaloo said, raising an eyebrow. “I’m almost nineteen.”

“Whoop de doo,” Lightning Dust said, rolling her eyes. “Don’t you have a cutie mark to help find for somepony or go admire Rainbow Dash?”

“I came because I wanted to talk,” Scootaloo said, sighing. “You look like you need a friend.”

“I don’t need your pity,” Lightning Dust said, glaring.

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow before lifting up her basket’s cover, revealing the sandwiches, apples, potato chips, and apple juice inside. Lightning Dust’s mouth went wide while drooling upon seeing it. “Would you prefer something good to eat?”

Lightning Dust slowly looked at Scootaloo. Hope in her eyes. When Scootaloo nodded, the poor mare dug and began eating and drinking like there was no tomorrow. She stuffed her mouth with two sandwiches at the same time before diving for the chips, ripping the bag open with her teeth. Halfway through, she tossed it back inside for the juice and nearly drank the whole thing with one big gulp.

Coughing, Lightning Dust covered her mouth before a small sob escaped her throat. Scootaloo held her breath as she saw a few tears come down Lightning Dust’s cheeks. “S-sorry...I...thank you...I...”

“Finish eating, and then we can talk,” Scootaloo said while giving a small smile.

She was patient as Lightning Dust continued to enjoy her meal. This time slower so she could enjoy every second of it. The warm smile that spread across her face. Her tears dripped down from her eyes as she enjoyed every flavor. The big burp at the end where she patted her still unusually thin stomach. What was a typical meal for an average pony was a five-course feast for Lightning Dust.

Finishing the last of the apple juice, Lightning Dust took a moment to stare at Scootaloo in the eyes before asking, “Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why did you do this? Hay, why are you even talking to me,” Lightning Dust grumbled as she leaned back against her box. “Considering all the manure I did to you and Rainbow Dash? I thought you’d be glad to see me like this.”

“What? No!” Scootaloo said, putting her hoof down. “Just because I’m upset about what happened doesn’t mean I wanted to see you like...like...”

“A homeless bum?” Lightning Dust asked, with a smile that held a heavy weight to it. “Yeah. Kinda didn’t think I would end up like this in life, but I guess you always pay for your mistakes.”

“...What happened to you?” Scootaloo asked.

“You didn’t know? Or Rainbow Dash?” Lightning Dust asked, eyebrows raised.

“No, honestly, after what happened, I just stopped listening for any news about the Washouts,” Scootaloo answered.

For a long time, Lightning Dust didn’t answer. She just stared at her hoof before closing her eyes and shook her head. “I bucked up. Badly.” Taking a few moments to collect herself, she continued, “It happened two years after we last saw each other. We were planning to do another big stunt. This one featuring another big rocket...”

Scootaloo got a bad feeling the moment she saw Lightning Dust’s open her eyes. Then she saw another new emotion she never pictured she’d see.

Guilt.

“...it got out of control. I didn’t check the safety features because I thought everything would be okay... the rocket...it hit the audience...”

“Oh, no...”

“Nopony was killed, but...a lot were injured...some pretty badly,” Lightning Dust muttered. Her face sunk as low as it could go as she took a deep breath. “My so-called ‘teammates’ pinned the whole thing on me...which in some respects was true. I was the one who failed to prepare the stunt right.”

“How bad was the backlash?”

Lightning Dust raised an eyebrow.

“Never mind.”

“Washouts were pretty much done. My family wanted nothing to do with me. Apparently, this was the ‘final’ straw in their words, so I was left on my own. I got sued to the point of losing everything I owed, and for the last seven years...my life’s been like this...”

Drawing her knees close to her chest and covering herself with her wings, Lightning Dust muttered, “Not that I didn’t deserve it.”

Scootaloo was about to open her mouth, but Lightning Dust interrupted before she could say anything. “Don’t say I didn’t bring this on myself. Back at the Academy, I got told I was reckless and risked ponies safety. I didn’t listen, and I got kicked out because of it. I didn’t listen when Rainbow Dash said it when I was doing the same thing with the Washouts. There were near misses, but I didn’t think about it as a big deal...until it became a big deal when I ran out of luck.”

Closing her mouth, Scootaloo tried to think of something to say, but she didn’t know what. Lightning Dust then looked at Scootaloo with a small smile. “Hey, I know this is years late, but...I’m sorry. I’m sorry for nearly getting you killed with that stunt all those years ago.”

The Lightning Dust that Scootaloo knew would never have apologized.

But this wasn’t the Lightning Dust that once stood proud, unwavering, and cocky as Tartarus.

This was a Lightning Dust that was broken and needed her help.

No.

She needed a friend.

***

“...and so, for the past few weeks, I checked up on her. We talk about our lives. She likes the stories of my friends' adventures the most,” Scootaloo said. The tea had long since gone cold. “I bring her what food I can give or what money I can spare. She’s given me ideas for some cool tricks in return. I may be a teacher, but I still like to skate, you know?”

“It sounds like you two have become such good friends, despite the circumstances,” Twilight said with a smile. “I’m proud that you’ve done such a thing, Scootaloo. It shows that even the ones that previously hurt us need friendship in the darkest of times.”

“Yeah, but I can’t keep seeing her like this, Twilight. Friendship is fine and all, but she needs more than that!” Scootaloo said, wings flaring. “She needs a home. She needs a job. She needs...she needs more help than I can give. And I think I know how.”

“How so?” Twilight asked, leaning forward. Already she had thought of a few ideas to help Lightning Dust. She may have been a bad pony once, but it was clear that her state in life now taught her humility and changed her. Plus, how could I call myself the Princess of Equestria if I didn’t help one of my little ponies regardless of her past self?

“There’s an open spot in the Weather Patrol team for Ponyville,” Scootaloo explained. “If she was to get that job, it would give her a chance to get back on her hooves. But she’d have a better chance if somepony who was once on the team gave a recommendation.”

“Somepony like Rainbow Dash?” Twilight asked, realizing the plan. “I suppose that would be a good place to start, but Rainbow Dash wasn’t exactly a fan of Lightning Dust’s in the past.”

“That’s why I was hoping you can help me convince her,” Scootaloo said, rubbing her forehooves together nervously. “You’ve managed to convince others to give bad ponies and creatures a second chance. I mean, you did so with Princess Luna, Discord, and Starlight. Think you can help me convince Rainbow Dash before my party?”

Twilight finished her tea before giving Scootaloo a warm and bright smile. “Scootaloo, I’ll convince her in ten seconds flat.”

***

If Pinkie Pie’s parties were terrific before, they only doubled when she married Cheese Sandwich. The two party makers made every celebration, big and small, a wicked good time that never seemed dull no matter what. Many ponies she knew were already enjoying the fun and games, the rides, and the comedy acts (Although she really was getting tired of Maud’s rock jokes). Not to mention the extraordinary amount of food. I still don’t know how gummy and spicy meatball pizza tastes good, but I really don’t care, Scootaloo thought as she took another big bite of her lunch.

She walked around her Aunt's backyard, noticing how everypony seemed to be having fun. Sweetie Belle was cheering for Button Mash trying to shoot three bottles at one of the carnival games. Apple Bloom and Tender Taps were at the dance floor, impressing ponies with their moves. Her Aunts were getting their fortune taken, and her parents were hoof wrestling with some fire breathing giant ants behind an MMA cage.

She didn’t want to know how Pinkie got that one.

Everyone seemed to be enjoying the event—especially Scootaloo's newest guest. Walking over to the mini-bar, Lightning Dust was taking another gulp of her beer while by her lonesome. It took a lot of pleading for her Aunts to allow Lightning Dust to stay as a guest for a few days, but already she looked much better. Her mane and coat were cleaner and starting to look a bit healthier. She was wearing a red jacket that her father used to wear when he was younger, but it could fit for Dust. And hide her obvious signs of malnutrition.

Glancing over at Scootaloo, Lightning Dust gave a small wave and smiled. “Hey, if it isn’t the birthday girl. Gotta say Pinkie Pie and her husband must really like ya to throw a party this big.”

“Heh, this is normal for them,” Scootaloo answered. “Wait ‘till you see what New Year's Eve is like.”

“Hmmm,” Lightning Dust said, sipping more of her drink. Scootaloo sat down next to her while looking at her party.

“So, you enjoying yourself?” Scootaloo.

“It’s...nice,” Lightning Dust whispered, staring into her drink. “I’m honestly surprised you were allowed to bring me here in the first place.”

“Well, I may have sacrificed my Hearth’s Warming gifts for the next four years from my Parents and Aunts,” Scootaloo answered, rubbing the back of her head. “But I think it's worth it.”

Lightning Dust just continued to stare at her drink before looking at Scootaloo in the eyes. “Why are you doing this? Why are you going so far to help me? Especially since I’m not exactly Miss. Popular here.”

“Ponies giving you trouble?” Scootaloo asked, sighing.

“Well, just a few bad glares from those closest to you,” Lightning Dust said, shrugging. “But nothing I’m not used to. I’ve kept it low key for the most part-”

“Safe for the buffet,” Scootaloo pointed out with a grin.

“You spend years eating uneaten take out from trash cans and tell me if you wouldn’t pig out at free food that’s actually fresh and cooked,” Lightning Dust replied. Shaking her head, she continued, “But that’s beside the point. Why go this far for me? I don’t understand...”

Scootaloo just gave a smirk. “Do you know what my special talent was?”

“Helping ponies understand their cutie marks or helping them find them, right?” Lightning Dust asked.

“Yeah, but there was a second talent under all that. It was helping ponies and giving them the means to succeed in knowing who they are,” Scootaloo said as she pointed to Lightning Dust. “The reason I wanted to be like you so much was that you were a fearless athlete who wanted to show the world that you had the talent to do what you were best at. I admired that, and, even if things didn’t work out between us, I still thought such a trait was something I needed. It really did help me in tough times.”

Putting a hoof over Dust’s shoulder, Scootaloo said, “I want to believe that I can help you find who you are again. This time as something better than you once were. You just need the chance, and I believe I can do that.”

“Scootaloo...” Lightning Dust whispered before wiping a single tear from her eye. She reached out and hugged the crusader, who responded in kind. “Thanks. For everything.”

“Ahem?” The two broke their hug when they turned around and saw Princess Twilight Sparkle smiling at them. However, besides her with an emotionless expression was one of her best friends, and Scootaloo’s idol, Rainbow Dash. “I hope we’re not interrupting something.”

“Dash! Twilight!” Scootaloo said, jumping up and hugging the princess first before hugging Dash, who smiled at her little sister figure. “You guys came a bit late, but I’m glad you’re here.”

“Sorry, Squirt,” Dash said, ruffing up Scootaloo’s purple mane with a smirk. “Would have been here faster, but Twilight her may have bigger wings, but she still a slowpoke in the skies compared to me.”

Twilight rolled her eyes before turning to a nervous-looking Lightning Dust. “Lightning Dust. I hope you are enjoying yourself as well?”

“Um, yes, Princess,” Lightning Dust said, slowly bowing. “Um, I know this is a bit late...well, a long time actually...but I’m sorry I nearly got you and your friends...um...splattered on the surface that day.”

“It’s alright, Lightning Dust,” Twilight said, raising her hoof and motioning her to stand tall. “Compared to the future life-threatening situations I had to deal with since, I find it to be one of the more forgetful ones.”

Lightning Dust gave a brief smile before she stared at Rainbow Dash, who didn’t once turn her gaze away. Scootaloo backed up a bit while hoping Dash kept her cool as the rainbow-manned pegasus walked forward until she was face to face with her former rival. Glancing at Twilight, Scootaloo saw the alicorn give a small smile and nod before turning back to the two speeders.

“So...Lightning Dust...” Rainbow Dash said, looking at Dust from head to hoof. “You seem to be doing okay.”

“...Not really,” Dust admitted, sighing. “I haven’t looked this good in years.”

“So I heard,” Rainbow Dash said.

The air tension was palpable to the point that it felt like a thunderstorm was about to form. Lightning Dust made the first move as she bowed, this time lower before Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow. “I’m sorry.” She didn’t even raise her head as she continued. “You were right. I was reckless, and it cost me everything. My dreams. My respect. My very life in some ways.” Drooping lower, to the point of nearly touching the floor, Lightning Dust’s voice almost cracked as she finished. “If I could go back and change it, I would. I’d be a better pony. A better Washout. A better Wonderbolt Cadet.” Raising her head, she stared at Dash eye to eye. “A better wingpony.”

For a long time, there was only silence between the two. Scootaloo wondered just what Dash thought as her expression was completely emotionless. Finally, Dash turned around, and she feared that Lightning’s apology had been rejected.

“...11AM,” Dash said, her back still turned. “11AM tomorrow at Folk’s Fields. If you still have some of that talent, you once had and impress me enough...” Dash turned around and smirked, “I’ll see about getting you a Weather Pony job.”

“Dash!” Scootaloo said, smiling as she levitated over to her idol. “Thanks! This means a lot-”

She was stopped by Dash, putting her hoof up. “I’m only doing this for you, Scootaloo. I haven’t fully forgiven her, but I’m willing to give her another chance.”

Dash then turned to Lightning and glared. “Only one. If you even act for a second like you did before at the Academy or with the Washouts? I’ll be sending you back to that cardboard box and make sure you stay there permanently. Got it?”

“G-got it,” Lightning Dust said, nodding.

“Good,” Rainbow Dash nodded back. Turning to the party, she smiled, “Anyway, let’s get some pizza. I’m hungry, and a pegasus can’t celebrate on an empty stomach.”

Dash flew into the air and made for the food line while Twilight nodded to Scootaloo and Lightning Dust before joining her in the air. Sighing in relief, Scootaloo walked over to Lightning Dust and held a hoof out. “Want to get some pizza to celebrate?”

“You kidding?” Lightning Dust said, hoof bumping. “I’ll be cleaning those plates out in ten seconds.”

Scootaloo laughed as the two soon followed the other two fliers right behind them.

Author's Note:

Commissioned by Sunset_Shimmer83

If you want to commission a one shot from me, please click here.

Comments ( 119 )

Very nicely done

How interesting. Very well done.

Lightning Dust deserved better than what the writers did with her.

Well done! This is an interesting viewpoint into what would have happened to Lightning Dust after the washouts. I've read a bunch of them, some good, some bad, but this is near the top.

A lot of your “lightning” words is worded as “lighting”. Even the chapter title.

“Yeah, next summer,” Gallus said, walking out of the meeting room with Twilight behind him. A few of the other Royal Guards saluted or bowed as they walked down the hall. “We have it at Mount Aries, naturally, and Queen Novo is going to handle everything. Which is fine by me since planning weddings aren’t my thing. Silver wants to invite everyone we know to it. You’ll be coming too, right?”

Aris

10464249
Indeed. Especially considering there's one aspect of the balloon incident so many people neglect to mention.

“Scootaloo, her attitude nearly got my friends and me killed,” Twilight said. She fashed back to when the five of them went to the Wonderbolt Academy to see how Dash was doing. It was before she got her wings and neatly fell to her death if it wasn’t for her fast friend saving their hides.

Twilight neglects to mention that she and her friends failed to get clearance from Air Traffic Control to enter Cloudsdale airspace. If they had contacted ATC beforehand, they would probably have been denied access as a military exercise was going on.

RDT

Nice story. "Convince her in ten seconds flat" had me laughing. Lightning Dust felt real, though because of Rainbow Dash's low word count I felt like she was missing something. And the little post-S9 things were fun.

Anyways I enjoyed reading this story!

Nice piece of work.

One suggestion: "You can be formal with me" should be "You can be informal with me". Being formal means using the formal title, which is what Scootaloo was doing.

10464502
Are the Wonderbolts a military group? I've not seen any evidence for it. Also, Cloudsdale is mobile, so might not even be in the area. Finally, we don't know enough about the workings of the place to know if a flight-plan is even required.

10464677
Though the base has a control tower. As the base is laid out like a conventional airbase/airport (both of which require permission from the tower to enter and exit their airspace), it stands to reason that permission is required to fly within the area-irrespective of whether the Wonderbolts are military or not.

In the real world, this is why airports such as Heathrow have aircraft circle, as the airspace is occupied.

It is too bad Lightning Dust only appeared in two episodes in canon. She had an interesting character that could have gone in several ways. I have seen lots of fan works where pretty much anything happens to her, like making amends with Rainbow or becoming even worse due to her grudge against her. This was a pretty interesting story though and was very well done.

10464737

ERewashed
A fixfic for the end of "The Washouts"
DrakeyC · 1.9k words  ·  55  25 · 3.2k views

I think this will be right up your street.

10464758
I already read it. Didn’t particularly like it since it tried to justify Lightning in that episode.

Especially since the Flash in this world is into stallions and not mares...

“Scootaloo, her attitude nearly got my friends and me killed,” Twilight said. She fashed back to when the five of them went to the Wonderbolt Academy to see how Dash was doing. It was before she got her wings and neatly fell to her death if it wasn’t for her fast friend saving their hides. “Not to mention her recklessness could have gotten you killed as well if Rainbow hadn’t saved you from that stupid stunt! She clearly doesn’t understand safety or the care of others while being arrogant and-”

Yeah I had to admit she is pretty reckless

Lightning Dust slowly looked at Scootaloo. Hope in her eyes. When Scootaloo nodded, the poor mare dug and began eating and drinking like there was no tomorrow. She stuffed her mouth with two sandwiches at the same time before diving for the chips, ripping the bag open with her teeth. Halfway through, she tossed it back inside for the juice and nearly drank the whole thing with one big gulp.

Oh my god thats kinda sad she so broken

Dang, there's not a lot of fanfic that got me this close to shedding actual tears. I can picture Lightning's condition very clearly. No home to stay, just shivering under a cardboard at night next to the dumpster, diving into the dumpster to find something to eat...

I have a very mixed feeling for Lightning Dust from this fic and in general. She's someone who 'deserves a punch in the gut, but didn't deserve to have her bones broken'. You do feel she deserve something from what she did, but only if it will make her to be a better individual. Her condition is heart wrenching, and I salute you for able to make someone like me to feel that way. Truly amazing writing~

Now, I know that every fic with Lightning Dust will have bloodshed and a lot of hatred in the comment sections, but I'm just here to give the fic a full 10/10. Seriously, one of the best single chapter fics I've ever read~ :rainbowkiss:

She was stopped by Dash, putting her hoof up. “I’m only doing this for you, Scootaloo. I haven’t fully forgiven her, but I’m willing to give her another chance.”

It's a start Redemption is a long process away

Always thought it a shame we never got a third Lightning Dust episode where she gets redeemed in some part.

Oh wow this was a pretty good story so scootaloo found out what happened to Lightning Dust after the event she was kicked out and a lot of people hate her for causing the accident basically it was the last straw for everybody for her Reckless then after taking so much years to think about it she felt guilty for everything she's done so scootaloo wants to help her to get up and get her life back and put it into a Redemption Road even though it's going to be a long process for anybody to trust her or forgive her what Rainbow dash said but she will give her a chance to see if she truly did change this was a pretty good story and I really wish the show did give her more character in later episodes but it happens

10464502
There wasn't really any danger in the exercise as it should have been done. The trainees were tasked with busting clouds. A balloon slowly moving into the area wouldn't have brought about any real complications. It was only a problem because Lightning Dust impulsively decided to create a twister to remove the last few clouds.

10464877
I was more thinking of the risk of airborne collisions (DHL Flight 611 comes to mind), but I suppose airspace could be cleared to let it through.

10464890
Collisions? With what? They weren't actually anywhere near the training arena, because Twilight and the others aren't stupid enough to go straight into an area where rookie fliers are zooming about.

10464955
I suppose we have the challenge of not having a map of where the individuals were at the time.

10464955
Entering the surrounding Airspace is typically restricted in military or airforce academies for the explicit reason of not sitting on the edge of the danger like a moron.

There wasn't an escort. The blimp had no other person who could be a designated hired pilot.

So yes, they entered restricted airspace through improper channels, and much like a moron running through a minefield to go visit the local military base were in the wrong and endangering themselves as much as the people in the base.

God I love how much people refuse to attribute fault to the Mane Six.

By all accounts Rainbow shouldn't be able to apply to be a Wonderbolt and Spitfire should've been court-marshaled but a bit of lip service and feeling bad apparently makes up for hurting people and betraying the ideal of your own organization and country despite doing nothing to actively fix the dumpster fire you left behind.

As with all the stories I've read of yours "Rated Ponystar", this is a very well written story. I guess I'll have to thank Sunset_Shimmer83 for the idea?

Thank you to whoever came up with this idea and thank you RP for executing it this idea perfectly. I really enjoyed reading this, at least personally, very interesting story.

10464827
I couldn't agree more. Thankfully we have an awesome collection of writers within this fandom, to substitute such missed opportunities. Wouldn't you agree?

10464962
We know the balloon was travelling in across from where the exercise was taking place. If it weren't for the twister, they would have landed without fuss on the runway.

10465139

So yes, they entered restricted airspace through improper channels, and much like a moron running through a minefield to go visit the local military base were in the wrong and endangering themselves as much as the people in the base.

Except there was no mention ever of it being "restricted airspace" in the show. If it were, Spitfire, as the one in charge, would have pointed it out. But she didn't, so logic dictates that it isn't "restricted" at all.

God I love how much people refuse to attribute fault to the Mane Six.

And disregarding the fact that Lightning Dust created a twister, putting not only them, but her fellow recruits in danger? I'm guessing you enjoy that too.

10465191
I'm sorry I expect people to be held to the standard they preach, something the mane six have basically stopped doing early in the shows life.

Seeing as it's a literal academy, for the Equestrian equivalent to the air-force-and we clearly do not see any other civilian craft around this raised and isolated Plateau, if it's not restricted that makes the Wonderbolts look even dumber then the Rainbow Falls fiasco where Spitfire spit on her uniforms honor and legacy and should've been disqualified for attempted sabotage.

You people always assume I think Lightnings innocent when I never make that statement. In fact I state the opposite in that comment.

My point is that I'm tired of two-faced pricks being seen as the ones in the right IRL and in fanfics and lord knows there isn't a story on this site that doesn't act like everyone else can do no wrong and deserves to never face the consequences of their action in the case of Wonderbolt Academies borderline D- writing and the Washouts cop out characterization.

10464683
Yeah, looking through all thje galleries, I can't see anything that clearly indicates that it's a control tower. Which makes sense really, since there's so many opaque obstacles around.

10465139
Um, what evidence do you have that the Wonderbolts are in any description a military or even paramilitary force? We also have no knowledge of the internal workings of the Academy, such as whether it's possible to even file a flight-plan in advance. Also, the space is loaded with obstacles anyway, so there's nowhere on the sight that has unrestricted vision, so it may be redundant.

10465203
I'm sorry do you typically send a group of civilian performers to stop a rampaging monster?

Or did everyone forget that in season one thats what happened(and they failed spectacularly), the presented Wonderbolt strike force in the alternate timelines or the fact that they are constantly presented alongside the Royal Guard in every iteration of the show?

Either they are military or Celestia likes sending untrained civilians into a warzone, which considering her other decisions is on par with how little she seems to care for people outside her plans and attempts to "teach Twilight lessons."

10465191
I'll give the episode another view.

10465203
Really? There are several buildings attached to the base. I imagine at least one had a radar room.

10464502
If a recruit in the military brought a weapon without a blank-firing adapter and live ammunition to a training excercise, just with the intent to show they were so skilled they didn't need the precautions, then proceeded to lose control of the weapon, nearly hitting several nearby civilians and only the quick actions of a fellow recruit prevented this resulting in casualties, I'd imagine that recruit would be lucky to just catch a dishonourable discharge.

Actually, that's not even really a good example. Even if we ignore the fact that in our example the recruit would be in serious troube for bringing an unsafe weapon on an exercise alone, the cloud busting was more akin to make-work than an actual exercise.

A better example would be a recruit using pyrotechnics in a burn pit, causing an uncontrolled detonation and subsequently endangering a lost visitor with the resulting shrapnel. Was the visitor supposed to be there? Of course not, but the guy trying to get rid of rubbish with plastic explosives is the bigger offender.

PS: Sorry for the rambling nature of the comment, I tried to prune it down but the "stream of consciousness" nature of the whole thing kinda threw a spanner into the works

10465353
Terribly sorry, but I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

10465353
Considering Spitfire, and apparently the other C.O's continued to encourage this reckless behavior and ignored the no doubt massive amount of complaints and reports lodged against Lightning I'd argue this is more the case of a C.O patting a recruit on the back after they nearly got a random trespasser killed but passed and broke every record on file.

They encourage bad behavior from someone who's there to be whipped into shape then boot them out to cover their tail when it's going to be revealed they knew exactly what was going on but chose their public image and reputation over doing their job right.

10465196
How exactly have the Mane Six stopped being "held to the standard they preach"?

You just assume they broke a rule, despite no such rule being established within the show.

10465210
Well none of the Element Bearers seem to have any military training, so...

Plus we don't know that they take monsters on because it's their actual job, or because they decide to do it (like volunteer firefighters).

10465225
That's assuming radar (or some analogue) exists in the setting. It may well not.

Only reason Lightning Dust was the way she was in her last episode is because the writers of FiM didn't have a dam clue on how to redeem her probably. So they just wrote her in like some PoS Egotistical scumbag. Funny... Dash was the same way previously. I guess if you are not one of the mane7 you just get cast aside as some one off easily forgotten nobody.

10465406
Or maybe some magical equivalent. I think it unlikely that Cloudsdale is unable to track things moving about, or else the city would be constantly crashing into things!

10465406
Considering the entire concept of the Elements is Plot Armor they are a horrible example-and the fact they have no formal training nor understanding of how these things work is part of the problem.

Volunteer crime fighting and military action is considered vigilantism, reckless endangerment of civilian life and property destruction.

If they aren't on the militaries payroll they aren't exactly civil servants nor are they defending and protecting their local establishments as Volunteer forces do, they are a mercenary corporation which is only a good thing in military propaganda and action movies.

Any person with over 1000 years to prepare for a threat who does nothing till the last 30 years is an imbecile, and Celestia continuing to let her people become entirely dependent on Harmony to do all the work while barely helping the bearers to improve and become more capable longterm sets a bad example for anyone.


10465393
To start lets go to the bold faced lie to protect Discord after he helped Tirek torture/steal magic from/injure the entire nation.

Lets talk about Rainbow being able to apply to the Wonderbolts in the first place despite multiple cases of her destroying peoples homes and property with no recompense.

Lets talk about Applejacks arrogance over her monopoly on a single fruit(can't be 2nd place when your family owns all the farms) against her constant hypocritical treatment of others for pride-and lets talk about how that contract from Season one with Flim and Flam was a clear loss for her by the rules and agreements of the contract, which her incompetence allowed to be made by a child.

I could go on and on but frankly every person that's asked about this balks and then ignores it to pull up some other goal post.

10464502
That is a good point there. Wouldn't the academy have some kind of air control tower or at least look out to keep there airspace clear 🤔

10465414
Cloudsdale is a city of pegasi, so having a 'pathfinder patrol' is fairly likely right? Also, they'll have maps, and probably lists of all the buildings they could possibly run into.

10465444
Not going to argue about the elements. As to the Wonder bolts, volunteer =/= vigilante, they're almost certainly registered somewhere. And yes, Celestia is an idiot.

Now I'd have been willing to accept the Wonder bolts as at least a paramilitary force, but for one factor, the Windrider debacle puts them firmly in the civilian category, as I can't imagine a military officer attempting to ruin a recruit's reputation just to protect his own record.

10465509
I can definitely see a retired air commander doing it with Spitfires' track record of poor and/or arrogant decisions in the show as a measure of how the Wonderbolts have operated for the last century alongside their obsession with doubling as a source of morale and pride for Cloudsdale since it's mentioned to be their center of operations outside of things like the Academy.

And (big if) if we take the comics into consideration they've been given access to specially designed and barely tested military equipment.

I can't name a single non military or paramilitary group that would remotely be given that clearance much less have the things designed explicitly for them.

10465559
Okay, fair enough. I guess this (like a lot of things) comes down to 'insufficient planning' on the part of the writing staff.

10465570
It definitely can and the worst part is they seem incapable of adding lines that are basically throwaway's, but could easily in an instant cement the intent.

The number of times they mention what the Wonderbolts do but can't just drop a solid "you mean the Spitfire?-Yes, my brother works with her since he's y'know, the captain of the guard." or something.

A single throwaway line as they transition between scenes would fix half the inconsistencies in the series but wasn't an option for some reason.

Getting off the 'Wonderbolts, civilians or soldiers?' debate, this is a very good fic. And I'll disagree with those who said Lightning Dust was handled poorly by the writers. Why? Because not every character needs to be redeemed! It's okay for a story to have a character who's a downright arrogant prick.

10465444

To start lets go to the bold faced lie to protect Discord after he helped Tirek torture/steal magic from/injure the entire nation.

What "bold faced lie" would that be?

Lets talk about Rainbow being able to apply to the Wonderbolts in the first place despite multiple cases of her destroying peoples homes and property with no recompense.

How about listing these "multiple cases"?

Lets talk about Applejacks arrogance over her monopoly on a single fruit(can't be 2nd place when your family owns all the farms) against her constant hypocritical treatment of others for pride-and lets talk about how that contract from Season one with Flim and Flam was a clear loss for her by the rules and agreements of the contract, which her incompetence allowed to be made by a child.

"Monopoly"? Please. It's hardly Applejack's doing that the Apple family owns the only apple farm in Ponyville. She's never shown any kind of hostility regarding the idea of other apple farmers setting up shop there. And Flim and Flam first appeared in season 2.

10465391

Considering Spitfire, and apparently the other C.O's continued to encourage this reckless behavior and ignored the no doubt massive amount of complaints and reports lodged against Lightning I'd argue this is more the case of a C.O patting a recruit on the back after they nearly got a random trespasser killed but passed and broke every record on file.

They didn't "encourage" anything, because they weren't aware of the extremes Lightning Dust was resorting to until Rainbow brought them up.

Login or register to comment