• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 6,422 Views, 679 Comments

Strange Letters from a Queen Bug Horse - Roadie



It seems that Queen Chrysalis really isn't quite herself today. What's with these sassy letters?

  • ...
10
 679
 6,422

19: "Hey, dweebs! Fresh meat!"

The griffon hen was big, even for one of her kind. She was a full head taller than the usual pony mare, with black and grey feathers and a black coat that glimmered with a black jaguar's faintly iridescent spots. She moved like an avalanche: gracefully, but with the promise of entombing any creature who stood in her way. In the open wake she left in Canterlot's busy evening traffic walked a smaller unicorn mare, dark-coated and short-maned with meteoric streaks for a cutie mark.

"This way, Shooty," the griffon said as she turned down a side street. The street descended and twined past arching buildings, and the traffic thinned but didn't stop as they left the main avenues. The both of them ignored the pegasus traffic that flitted persistently overhead in the moonlight.

The unicorn turned her head this way and that, but she walked without the unsteadiness of the usual rubbernecker. "Thy nicknames are least appreciated—'Grizelda'. If I am to be Shooting Star, then Shooting Star I am to be, not... 'Shooty'."

The griffon snorted as she turned a corner. "Nicknames are part of life, Starry," she said, and she casually stepped over a quivering earth pony mare, barely more than a filly, who had frozen in place at suddenly being face to face with her. "You wanna deal with the plebs, you gotta take it." Her voice was a contralto, rough-edged as a cat's tongue.

Shooting Star gave the mare a second glance and a pat on the shoulder, glanced up at the narrow street's skyline, and hurried ahead. "If thou must insist on anything, let it be just 'Star'," she said.

"Uhh, I can do that, I guess," the griffon said, and she turned again. "Here's the place."

It had been a gatehouse or tollhouse once, in a past era, before age and neglect had let it decay. Some clever pony had claimed up part of the broad balcony it hung against and rebuilt it into an open-air cafe. Past the narrow arch of the entrance the space opened out with low tables, most of them attended by ponies with mugs and some with plates, and almost all of them with a view of the evening moon.

"Hey, dweebs!" Grizelda announced as she threaded her way past tables. The place—BEAN COUNTER said the sign over the entrance arch—was one where the ponies didn't flinch away from the presence of the huge griffon. "Fresh meat!"

Behind her, Shooting Star stared as a cluster of ponies at a set of back tables greeted the griffon. She finally had to move forward as a pegasus behind her coughed politely, and she made her way to Grizelda with more of an awkward shuffle than smooth grace. There, she saw, an arrangement of tables had been covered in miniature terrain and what she took to be miniature soldiers. "Ah—salutations?" she offered to the cluster of ponies there.

"Oh, you're the pony that Griz was talking about?" said one of them, and Shooting Star realized with a start that he was that handsome captain of the Guard, Shining Armor, though without any of his namesake. "I'm Shining Armor," he said, redundantly.

"Just watch out for her gettin' all 'forsoooth' and whatever, it's a whole thing where she's from," Grizelda said. She turned to lean over one of the tables, with her beak drifting just past the ear of a bespectacled rail-thin pony who was so focused on the miniature recreation of a Minosic border skirmish that he didn't notice at all.

Shooting Star looked at her, frowned, and turned back to Shining Armor. "Aye, that w-I am," she said, and paused. "Shooting Star," she said, too late to be smooth about it and too early to be enticingly cool. "And what has my companion been talking about... about?" she said, as her frown grew.

"Oh, oh, it's nothing bad, if that's what you're worried about," Shining Armor said, almost chuckling. "Just that you're new to Canterlot like she is, and that you might be a little... old-fashioned?"

Behind him, a stout pony let out a honk of surprise as Grizelda interrupted the chatter of her ongoing whatever-it-was, then a whoop of triumph as the griffon's murmur brought something to her attention that she had missed on the table of miniature figures.

"I will allow it," Shooting Star said in an imperious voice, "if you will explain the nature of this... gathering." She leaned her head to look past him. She was starting to understand the arrangement of ponies. Each tiny battle—if they were battles—was attended to by a handful of ponies, though not very strictly. Some had them placed in opposition; others, a more even spacing, but with fewer of the little figures and less elaborate terrain.

"She didn't tell you?" Shining Armor said, and his ears perked up.

"I ain't tellin' nobody nothin' when I can make you dweebs do it, Bighorn," Grizelda called from over where she had taken perch to watch a tiny recreation of what looked suspiciously like a Lunar-Solar skirmish to Shooting Star.

Shining Armor rolled his eyes. "We do wargaming nights," he said. "Well—it's not all wargaming, but that's the main thing. Our friend—" —there was a gently mocking lilt to his voice— "—Grizelda helped set up a lot of it, actually. You have a little army, and there's rules and dice to make sure it's fair, and—why don't I show you instead? Griz doesn't bring ponies if they won't 'get' it, and it makes more sense when you see it in action."

Later, with her rooms overflowing with painted wooden miniatures, Luna would begin to wonder how the changeling queen had so accurately divined her weakness.