• Published 17th Sep 2020
  • 1,844 Views, 71 Comments

We Aren't Dating! - YourUncleFuncle



Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy each discover that, not only does everypony suddenly think they like mares, but that they're dating each other

  • ...
5
 71
 1,844

Final Confrontation

Fluttershy was flying all around her small backyard wishing all of her animal friends a good morning and feeding them. As she began to pour some squirrel food in the bowl that she had set out, she noticed a pony shaped shadow going across the ground. She looked up and saw a cyan pegasus flying above her, preparing to turn around and land. To most ponies, they might not have realized who it was considering the first thing that they noticed about this particular pony was her rainbow mane, but since Fluttershy wasn’t most ponies.

She panicked and ran straight for her back door, opening it and closing it before her friend could catch up to her. A few seconds later there was an inevitable pounding noise against the door.

“Fluttershy! Hey, Fluttershy! Open up! I need to talk to you for a sec!”

Reluctantly, Fluttershy reached her hoof toward the door and pulled it open, revealing Rainbow Dash, looking slightly tired and irritated, something she had been so often over this past week.

“What’s going on Fluttershy?” Rainbow asked loudly. “I wake up this morning and fly down to meet Rarity, and she’s all mad at me because she thinks that I made you cry! All of them are! I didn’t make you cry, though, the whole thing was fake!”

“Uh, I-I’m sorry, Rainbow Dash, but I m-may have accidentally overlooked o-o-one s-mall thing about out plan-”

“And what’s that?” Rainbow interrupted. “The plan was so perfect, and you agreed to it and everything!”

“Well, I may have overlooked something about going to the flower fields.”

“But I thought you said you were going to pick flowers there anyways. That’s why you brought the basket, isn’t it?”

“Yes, but I kinda...sorta forgot that daisies are in bloom right now.”

“So?”

“Well, um, I’m a little allergic to them. I tried to wait so that my eyes would stop watering and my nose wouldn’t be so stuffy, but they saw me and called me over before I could prepare myself. I tried telling them that we had decided to break up, but they thought I was trying to cover for you, and I got so overwhelmed by all their questions that I...ran off…” Fluttershy’s voice faded as her explanation concluded, and so did Rainbow Dash’s icy expression.

“Well, that explains a lot, I guess,” Rainbow supposed, before sighing and slumping to the ground while placing her face in her hooves. She was so frustrated with her dumb luck at the moment that she just needed a moment to clear her head completely.

“Are you alright?” Fluttershy asked after about a minute.

Rainbow lifted her face, took a deep breath, and nodded. For a little bit they just sat there and basked in the silence, and they both used the time to think of what to do next.

Fluttershy was ashamed that the plan had failed because of her allergies, even though she knew it wasn’t her fault. She tried to think of a plan herself now, since Rainbow had come up with the first two and because they had both failed, and besides, she could use it as a chance to make up for the latter of the two. Unfortunately, unless it had to do with organizing animals or thinking up the schedule, she wasn’t the most creative with her planning, so she couldn’t think of anything to do at the moment. She then thought back through the time Rainbow and her had spent together and realized that she never really had to since her friend always seemed to know what to do next and she was always willing to follow and support. Nevertheless she thought harder, trying to come up with something, anything that would get Rainbow off the hook.

Rainbow Dash, on the other hoof, was so fed up and angered that she couldn’t think straight, so all of her ideas were arbitrary and completely out of left field. The first one that came to mind was to try to fake their deaths and come back a few weeks later with dyed manes and new names, but after a few seconds she shook it out of her mind. Then she thought she should make it seem like they made up by actually faking going on a date, but she figured that it would just be a repeat of before and, if anything, it would be worse now.

Next she considered her idea that both of them should get coltfriends to prove that they weren’t fillyfoolers and they weren’t dating each other. At the moment it seemed the most practical, especially compared to the first idea she had, but she didn’t want to intentionally put Fluttershy in that position when she wasn’t even looking for a real colt, let alone a temporary fake one. Besides, Fluttershy would have a really hard time breaking up with him.

“Fluttershy,” Rainbow’s voice cut through the silence, getting the yellow pegasus’ attention, “I think I’m out of good ideas. What do you think we should do?”

“I don’t know, Rainbow,” Fluttershy admitted as her head lowered slightly.

“We need another plan, and at this point I’m open to any and all ideas because this,” Rainbow Dash waved her hoof around the surrounding air, “all of this, this whole thing, is starting to seriously bug me.”

“I know, and I’m sorry, but it seems like each plan we dig ourselves into a deeper and deeper hole, so I think we need to get to the center of the problem and convince our friends that we aren’t together first and foremost.”

Rainbow Dash nodded her head in agreement before realizing something. “But we need to make sure they understand. Every time I’ve tried to tell all of them, they don’t listen, and I’m sick of it!”

“I know you are, and I’m personally starting to dislike all of the attention.”

“I thought you hated it anyway?”

“I know, but it was at least tolerable for a little bit, but now I just wish it would end.”

Both mares sighed at the same time. “I know, Flutters, I know,” Rainbow whispered.

“Well, what if we tried again?” Fluttershy asked

“What do you mean?”

“Well, each time we tried telling them that we weren’t together, it was always alone, but maybe if we were together and we told them this, they would believe us.”

“How would that work any differently? And besides, we were together when we told that to Twilight and she didn’t get it.”

“She probably thought it was an excuse for us to get out of her, uh, experiment.”

Rainbow cringed at the memory of when her lavender friend had basically asked them to have sex with each other and let her watch. “Yeah, that was just...really gross. I mean, at this point, what do we have to lose? Let’s try it!” Rainbow’s enthusiasm was regained for the first time since before she talked to Rarity. “I’ll round everypony up and tell them to meet us at Twilight’s Castle in an hour or so.”

“Perhaps you should let me do it if all of our friends are as mad at you as you say they are.”

Rainbow nodded and chuckled, “You’re probably right. Alright, see you in an hour.”

Rainbow opened the back door to the cottage again and flew out, going high in the sky to take an hour long mid-morning nap on a cloud.


“Hey everypony!” Pinkie Pie said in her naturally cheery and excited voice, “Are you gals ready for the party?”

At the map table, Applejack, Rarity, and Twilight stared blankly at the pink pony who was carrying about a dozen balloons. “Uh, Pinkie,” Applejack started, “you do know that the reason we were called here isn’t for some sort of party, right?”

The balloons seemed to magically deflate as soon as Applejack had finished, but the smile on the ponies face didn’t. “Okie dokie lokie,” she said as she bounced to take her seat at the table.

“Speaking of which, do any of you know why Fluttershy asked us to be here today?” Rarity asked.

“Ah don’t know,” Applejack responded with a shrug, “but it sounded might important. The shy filly almost never asks me to come somewhere by herself. Usually she’ll send one of her little critters with a note or something.”

“I wonder if this has anything to do with the break up,” Twilight guessed.

“Oh, the poor darling,” Rarity gasped, “I completely forgot about that! She must be devastated.”

“We should throw a party for her,” Pinkie exclaimed seriously, “it will be a Feel Better Fluttershy Even Though that Meanie Mean Face Rainbow Dash Crushed Your Heart into a Million Pieces Party, or FBFETTMMFRDCYHIAMP Party for short!”

“Yeah,” Twilight said, rolling her eyes. Then the doors opened, and in trotted Rainbow Dash, followed closely behind by Fluttershy. The two mares stood to scan the room for a second before looking at each other, nodding, and continuing.

The expressions of the ponies already sat down at the table ranged from confused to angry, with Twilight and Pinkie Pie aiming toward the former side of the spectrum, and Applejack and Rarity toward the latter.

“Hey girls,” Rainbow Dash greeted. She sat down on her throne next to Pinkie, which made the pink earth pony scoot to the side of her throne. Rainbow saw this, but decided to ignore it. As soon as Fluttershy sat down in her respective throne, she cleared her throat. “Now, as you all know, or think you know, me and Fluttershy broke up, and don’t say it Twilight!” Twilight’s mouth was clamped up by the last part of her sentence, the grammar correction disappearing. “Listen everypony, and really listen to me, because what I am about to tell you is the absolute truth. I have been trying to tell you this exact thing for the past week, but you never believed me, and every single thing we’ve done to make you see it has failed. So here we go. Plain, simple, to the point.” Rainbow inhaled deeply, eyes darting around the table to see the looks of anticipation from all of her friends, before saying those three words. “We aren’t dating.”

There was silence all around the room, nopony willing to break it, and everypony was just trying to process this not-so-new information. Sometimes two of them would make eye contact with one another, but it would always be short lived. After what felt like a million years, Twilight spoke up.

“But we saw you two…”

“I know what you thought you saw!” Rainbow shouted. “We weren’t doing that stuff. She was saving me from choking on one of those hayballs that you tried to serve us on that date you set up.”

Next to speak up was Applejack. “But what about that time Ah saw you two sitting under an apple tree in mah orchard together?”

“I was trying to show Rainbow Dash something,” Fluttershy’s soft voice rang in.

“The sunset?” Applejack asked.

“No, it was a nest of baby birds.”

“But what about when we were at the picnic and you came out of the flower fields running and sobbing and with no Rainbow Dash,” Rarity pointed out.

“That was allergies,” Fluttershy explained. “Our last plan was to fake breakup so that nopony would see us as a couple anymore, and then explain everything to you later. I didn’t realize there would be daisies, and when I got back, I was going to wait for my symptoms to subside, but you all called me over anyways and, well, I suppose you got the wrong idea.”

The silence was back again, with Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash stealing a glance and smile, knowing that they had finally done it. None of their friends were able to raise an objection or any other point of proof against them. It was as if they were finally realizing that they may have been wrong about the entire thing. Finally, when a pony decided to speak up, it was Pinkie Pie.

“You guys aren’t joking, are you,” she said in a surprisingly serious tone. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy nodded. “Well, I’m really sorry that I pushed you so hard. Please forgive me.”

She flashed her signature puppy eyes at the two mares, who both chuckled and nodded.

“Of course, Pinkie, we forgive all of you!” Fluttershy looked around the room and nodded. The other three ponies quickly apologized as well.

“Ah’m mighty sorry, you two.”

“I whole-heartedly apologize.”

“I really thought you two were dating, though, the statistics don’t lie. Either way though, I’m really sorry.”

“It’s whatever,” Rainbow sighed in relief. “Just please listen to us from now on. That was really bad.”

“We will, promise,” Rarity assured.

“Cool,” Rainbow said before turning around. “Well I’m going to practice my new Wonderbolt routine if anypony needs me. See ya around!” She kicked off the ground and zoomed out of the castle, her signature rainbow trail following behind her. Fluttershy smiled at her friends before trotting out the door, a content smile spread over her face.

“Alright, so how long do you think it will take before they come clean to us?” Twilight asked the remaining ponies in the room excitedly.

“It shouldn’t be too long now, darling,” Rarity predicted. “I mean, it’s obvious that they are absolutely enamored with one another.”

Author's Note:

I didn't necessarily want this chapter to be that long, just something to wrap up the story at least decently. I hope you all enjoyed this, and thanks for reading all the way through! :yay:

Comments ( 27 )

Heh, kind of hope this gets at least a short sequel where Dash and Shy end up getting hitched to stallions, making the others truly realize they weren't in love.

Well, I'm kind of bummed that Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash didn't end up together, but oh well. The story was a lot shorter than I thought it would be, but if you're satisfied with leaving it there, that's your call.

10530846
That would be funny, but I wasn't really planning on a sequel, so I think I'll leave it here. I definitely think something like that would have been cool though.
10530910
Yeah, I didn't want it to become another Apple Bloom's Secret, so I decided to wrap it up here. I was debating whether or not to have some other plan, but then I thought it might have dragged. I really hope you liked it!

10530846
I almost expected Dash to ask all of the other four on a date ate the same time to prove that she wasn't dating Flutters.

10530991
And then one of them could have unexpectedly said yes. :rainbowderp:

Honestly they need to give the girls taste of their own medicine and start rumours that other mane six dating each other

10531262
I was actually considering that as an alternative ending, but I couldn't think of a way to cleverly put that in. It would have been cool though.

10531268
Discord help could do it or contact princess and have her show up to congratulate twilight on hooking up with pinkie :rainbowlaugh:

10531318
My Faithful Student Twilight Sparkle, in every pony's life they will eventually find love, whether in a pet, newborn foal, or a significant other, and I congratulate you on finding one of your own in such a bright young filly. I'll be expecting a wedding invitation soon!:trollestia:

Find zecora and borrow some seeds of truth from her. Once eveypony see the flower bloom from them telling the truth it will put an absolute end to this mess.

10532288
Zecora? Whose Zecora? I've never heard of her :rainbowhuh:

10531728
or alternately they could hit on the other mares, i mean it implied that rainbow hook up with applejack so could have her hit on her to prove she not with fluttershy :rainbowkiss::applejackunsure:

10532369
the zebra speaks in rhymes

10532872
Neither of them is gay in this story though, which is one of the things they were out to prove.

10532874
Even if I did put her in the story, I didn't want to deal with the rhymes.

10532940
fair enough but the gals are pushing her to the point where rainbow dash would do something stupid

“It shouldn’t be too long now, darling,” Rarity predicted. “I mean, it’s obvious that they are absolutely enamored with one another.”

DAG
FREAKING
NABBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10532977
Honestly, at that point, I wouldn't doubt it. If she was willing to steal a book just so that she could read the end without her friends knowing, who knows what other lengths she would go to.
10533258
:rainbowhuh::fluttershbad:

10531238
Now that would have been perfect.

10532369
I know you know who she is. But still it was funny. :pinkiehappy:

I like to write a short sequel to this story; about Flutters and Dash finally proving to everyone they are not dating or gay.:pinkiecrazy:

10533864
even desperate enough to date fluttershy brother ha ha, i give you this there are so many way you could do a sequel it fun

10534359
You know, that actually is a pretty good idea, although if I wanted to do something like that it would probably not be a sequel, but a different story with a new problem.
10534274
Hey, by all means, if you have an idea then go for it, and I'll promote it if you want. I honestly never planned to have a sequel, but I'm glad that somepony sees an idea for one.

Felt like it was going to be an entirely too clean out an ending, but you managed to give it just enough of a spin to make it work. Definitely a fun story, the kind that inspires me to write. Even if I'm buried in other stories at the moment. :raritydespair: thanks for the good read

10536208
No problem! Somehow you managed to predict almost every twist in the story, and I thought it was both funny and frustrating, but mostly funny :twilightblush:. I'm so glad you liked it, and that I made the ending work.

Somehow missed that the final chapter was uploaded so I'm a little late to the party :twilightblush:

So sad to see this end. I really enjoyed the prolonged high jinks Flutters and Dash were getting up to there and of course I'm sad to see that they never ended up together as well :twilightsheepish: I was holding out hope to the last moment that one would look to the other and say something like 'Finally we can go back to being on the down low again."

Still it was a wonderful story to read, I can't wait to see you top the comedy of Chapter 2's ending in your future work!

10564793
That...will be hard to do. I honestly don't know how I came up with such a great idea. But it can still happen, so fingers crossed :raritywink:.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Login or register to comment