• Published 17th Sep 2020
  • 460 Views, 97 Comments

Rarity’s Blog on Life, Fashion and All Things Fabulous - My Little Pastafarian



Rarity discusses the things she loves on her fabulous blog ✨💖✨

  • ...
7
 97
 460

Art of the Compliment

Mood: Nostalgic 💖
Listening to: Perfect Day by Lou Steed
Outfit of the Day: A pair of high-waisted and fitted, blue, black and white tartan pants, a white ruffled blouse, and a dark blue beret jauntily tilted on the side.

Hello my Gems! Hope you are having a good day today 💜💜💜

Thank you for the lovely messages and comments you’ve sent me! They really do brighten up my day.

I’ve been busy designing ensembles for the upcoming Grand Galloping Gala. There is so much variety in the guestlist this year! I will be writing a post about some of the looks I’ve been working on once I’m done. And they will be absolutely marvellous, even if I say so myself! :raritywink:

However, today I wanted to write about something else. And I got the inspiration from my dearest sister, Sweetie Belle.

I was working at Carousel Boutique, when Sweetie came home. She is staying with me at the moment, as our parents are on their yearly cruise, celebrating their anniversary.

From the way she huffed and puffed on her way in, I could tell she was in an unhappy mood.

I asked what was wrong, and she recounted her day. And indeed, it sounded tiresome in more ways than one. She had slept badly, failed an exam, and accidentally dropped her lunch in a puddle.

”And if that wasn’t enough, we helped Dusky Summit with a cutie mark problem. When he overcame his fear of heights so he could do mountain climbing, I was too annoyed by everything else to even smile for him! And now I feel terrible,” she concluded her tale of woe.

”Oh Sweetie Belle! Everypony has a bad day once in a while. Don’t let it bring you down too much sweetheart,” I tried to comfort her.

At that moment the bell chimed, announcing the arrival of a customer. I had to attend to her, so I left Sweetie alone in the kitchen with her mug. There is nothing like hot chocolate with whipped cream to cheer you up! Pinkie Pie taught me that 💕

The customer was an earth pony mare, who needed an outfit for a friend’s wedding. We tried several, until we settled on an ashes-of-rose colored, long chiffon dress with bishop sleeves. It was delicate and feminine, and modest enough for a wedding. That is important when dressing for such an occasion: one needs to look put together, but not like you are trying to out-do the happy couple.

The lovely pastel color looked amazing against her light antique green coat and silvery mane! We spent a good amount of time in front of the mirror admiring her from every angle. She was so pretty, and did the dress so much justice!

Once she left, a voice sounded behind me.

”How do you do that?”

”Oh Sweetie Belle! Please refrain from startling me like that!” I admonished her, ”And what do you mean? How do I do what?”

”Sorry! And I mean, how do you always have something nice to say to everypony? I have never seen you not compliment a pony, even when you are tired or in one of your moods,” she said. ”I didn’t manage to do that today for the colt. So how do you do it?”

The question was intriguing enough to give me pause (and not demand to know what exactly she meant by ”one of my moods.”) I thought back, and remembered something I hadn’t dwelled upon in years.

”I learned to,” I finally answered.

”What, you practiced or something? How does that even work?” She sounded doubtful. ”Did you write down a bunch of nice sounding things and choose one that fits the pony?”

”No, of course not! That would be silly,” I giggled. ”Let’s have dinner and I’ll tell you all about it.”

And the answers I gave her made me think I should write a post about this. Maybe my experiences could give some of you, my darling Gems, encouragement or insight.


The thing is, I wasn’t always generous with my compliments. When I was younger, I was very much aware I was a beautiful and talented unicorn. A bit too aware, if you know what I mean. It is embarrassing to admit, but I was somewhat stuck up and it was much too easy for me to feel superior to others.

I strut around town, basking in everypony’s attention, like nothing and nopony could measure up to me. It is so horrible to remember now, but I used critize others in my mind. ”What a terrible mane color! And that shirt does nothing for your waistline,” or ”Learn to walk in heels darling if you are going to torture a pair of Loubutails to death,” or else ”Nopony is going to date you if you slouch and eat like slob, you slob,” and things like that.

I am not proud of the attitude I had back then 😔😔 And what’s more, others could tell I wasn’t thinking of them kindly, even if I never said any of it out loud.

My big wake up call came when I got my first real job in the fashion industry. It was at Splendour Fashions, a boutique and atelier owned by miss Splendour Spools. She was a great lady, with a decades long career. I was in awe of her, and positively flabbergasted to work so close to a genuine legend and a trailblazer in the industry!

As soon as I stepped into the boutique, she greeted me warmly and took the time to show me around. I could barely speak without stuttering! Here I was, a youngster in her late teens nopony had heard of yet, being spoken to so casually by one of my idols!

She only left me in the hooves of the senior assistants when customers started arriving. They showed me the ropes, and I soon learned the tasks expected of me.

I watched as mares and stallions of all ages came and went. Sometimes they would buy something off the racks, and the shopping assistants took care of them. I never saw anypony leave the shop unsatisfied.

But the customers who came for a consultation or a fitting with miss Splendour herself were more than satisfied.

They were beaming.

Everypony who was escorted to the studio in the back, no matter how homely or worn out or frumpy I though they looked, left with a smile. And, to my eye, oddly beautified and regal, even when they weren’t wearing their purchases! I could not understand it. Did miss Splendour have a spell or a potion or some ancient secret she shared with her customers?

Then came a day I remember like yesterday.

I was on my lunchbreak, nibbling on my brushchetta, and sketching some ideas I had for a ball gown. I was just finished adding notes about the ruffles on the hem, when miss Splendour herself walked in the breakroom.

”Hello miss Rarity!” she said with her warm smile. ”What are you working on there?”

Blushing, I managed to answer. ”Good afternoon miss Splendour! I’m just... umm... sketching a gown.”

”Oh a gown! May I see it?” she asked, kindly.

I was quite overwhelmed when she wanted to see my work, but this was such an honor and an opportunity! So I handed my sketchbook over. She sat across the table, and went through my drawings while sipping on her cardamom chai.

I hardly need point out I was on pins and needles when she scrutinized page after page! She didn’t say anything, just browsed my book, sometimes pausing to look at something more closely.

Finally she closed the book and sat back in her chair. She let her eyes wander the room, seemingly deep in thought.

”Miss Splendour?” I said when I couldn’t take the silence anymore.

”Oh! I’m sorry dear. My mind is all over the place today,” she chuckled.

”It’s alright. I... I just wondered... What do you think? Of... of the designs?” I believe I managed to stutter out.

”Well dear, they are beautiful,” she said, simply.

I was elevated to hear that! But I sensed there was something more to her thoughts.

”Thank you miss! It means a lot coming from you! But is... is there some advice you could give me?” I dared question.

”Hmm. You certainly have great taste and knowledge of fashion, especially for one so young! The details and silhouettes are lovely, choices of color and material show talent and potential. But there is one thing I did wonder about.”

And she looked at me in the eye, and asked:

”Who are you designing for?”

My mind went quite blank. What did she mean? Of course the designs were for ponies to wear! I couldn’t think of an answer that didn’t sound stupid or obvious.

Seeing my nonplussed stare, she giggled and stood up.

”Come help me in my studio tomorrow. It might give you new inspiration,” and she gave me a playful wink and strutted off.

I was thrilled beyond belief at the invitation! I would have the opportunity to follow a true master at work! Such an amazing chance to learn! Obviously she had seen the brilliance in my work, and was eager to help me develop.

So after that day I would accompany Splendour in her workshop, where she received her clients. I helped in whatever ways I could, bringing materials and serving tea.

And I watched her, as she talked with her customers and came up with the designs. Everything she made was perfect for every single pony! Every color choice highlighted their complexions, every silhouette was flattering no matter their size and shape, every material was ideal for the occasion the couture was for!

What was more, she spoke to them like a good friend, and she complimented everypony who stepped into her studio.

At first I thought this was just good customer service. One needs to give a client one’s full attention, and make them feel happy that they chose your establishment, after all.

However, after a while I started to realize there was more to it. Whenever she talked to ponies, she looked at them in the eye and smiled, genuinely. When she gave a compliment or a suggestion on what would suit a pony, she seemed completely sincere. And once they had left, she did sketches and looked over her notes, humming happily to herself.

Also she would give comments like:

”Wasn’t she delightful miss Rarity? What a sweet idea to get herself and her grandchild matching outfits for her birthday!”

Or

”He was such a nice gentlecolt! This chocolate brown pinstripe will look marvellous against that lovely navy blue mane, don’t you think?”

Bit by bit, I started to feel miss Splendour had asked me to accompany her for a reason other than to teach me about the art of couture.

One evening I was at home, poring over my sketches. I had been so proud of them, but now they felt... lacking, in some way.

”Who are you designing for?”

The question shot right through me. I looked at my work again. And that, my Gems, is when I saw it.

Every single design was something that would look best on ME, and nopony else would do them as much justice.

I was shocked. Shaken. Discombobulated.

All this time I thought myself so talented and so wonderful. But I hadn’t even bothered to think of the ponies I wanted to design for! What did that say about me?

I went to take a very long, lavender-scented bath. And I thought, deeply. To my intense embarrassment, I realized how self-centered I was, and how meanly I often thought of my fellow ponies.

I felt terrible, and not just because of what a bad attitude might mean for my career. I really didn’t want to be a [as a lady I won’t use the word that came to me back then], so obviously I needed an adjustment!

So what was I to do?

First thing I did, from the very next morning, was trying to think of nice things about the ponies walking past me. Instead of sniping at them in my mind, I tried coming up with compliments:

That is a stylish mane-do, I do love when ponies put in an effort in the morning!

Oh dear, you look so busy and stressed! I hope your day gets better.

You have such a graceful trot! I wonder if you are a dancer.

And so on. And the more I did it in the days that followed, the easier it became. Ponies started to look so beautiful to me. How had I never noticed it before?

I also tried my best to be nice to others, not just for politeness’ and appearances’ sake, but because they deserved to be treated with kindness and respect.

This, my Gems, was a big turning point for me, both as an artiste and as a pony. I felt better, like a great burden had been lifted. I felt more like myself than I ever had before. And designing was not just interesting to me now, it was utter delight!

The thought that ponies would be wearing my creations one day, trotting out of my boutique with a smile on their face, made my heart positively soar! I started sketching feverishly, coming up with an idea after idea, inspired by the ponies in my life, or even complete strangers!

A few weeks after my revelation, I was wiping the coffee table in miss Splendour’s studio, when something landed on it in front of me.

My sketchbook.

Swiveling around, I found myself face to face with miss Splendour Spools.

”You forgot this in the breakroom. I hope you don’t mind, but I took the liberty of taking a peek at your latest works,” she said, sweetly.

”Oh! Thank you for bringing it to me!” I answered, ”Hopefully you liked the new ones! I have had such fun with them!”

For a moment, she said nothing. Then she walked over to me, and without a word, pulled me in a motherly embrace.

I was surprised, but happy. When she pulled away, she looked at me over her winged spectacles, her eyes twinkling.

”Well done, miss Rarity. Well done.”

And giving me a knowing smile, she turned and went back to work.


It has been many a moon since my time as an assistant at Splendour Fashions. But I have never forgotten the things I learned.

I must admit, sometimes my uppity self does emerge, and I can get overly critical and stuck up at times. Luckily I have good friends now, who are there to talk sense into me when I need it. Sometimes I need to remind myself not to get a big head.

But now I know my greatest inspiration are the ponies I create for. Everypony is beautiful and worthy.

Including you, my precious Gem :heart:


This is my tale for the day. I hope you won’t think of me too poorly, given my behaviour in the past 😔 I am sorry about those things, truly.

As ever, leave a Dear Rarity comment if you wish to ask me anything.

There will be the post about the Grand Galloping Gala ensembles I’ve worked on this season soon! I’ll post it as quickly I am able, so stay tuned!

Hope you recieve and give a heart-felt compliment today!

Kisses and Glitter,

Rarity

Author's Note:

Horsepuns:

Lou Steed - Lou Reed
Loubutails - Loubutins