• Published 17th Sep 2020
  • 459 Views, 97 Comments

Rarity’s Blog on Life, Fashion and All Things Fabulous - My Little Pastafarian



Rarity discusses the things she loves on her fabulous blog ✨💖✨

  • ...
7
 97
 459

The Moment Their Eyes Light Up

Mood: Proud 👌
Listening to: Beethooven’s Symphony number 9
Outfit of the Day: A peacock blue wrap dress, golden drop earrings with chains reaching almost my shoulders, and a multitude of bracelets. Somedays a girl can’t have enough accessories! 😄 Also my new pair of golden gladiator sandals. They are delicate ones, mind you.


How are you my precious Gems? 💎💎💎

Thank you for the comments on my earlier post! I’m so glad you reached out. 😊

I know it hasn’t been that long since my first post, but something positively marvelous happened today, and I wanted to share it with all of you!

I GOT MOONDANCER TO WEAR A GOWN!!! AND SHE LIKED IT!!!

I know, right? Can you believe it?!

Oh. But some of you might not know who Moondancer is. Well, allow me to enlighten you. This is her picture:

Moondancer is a resident of Canterlot and friend of Twilight’s from way back when. She is a highly talented unicorn and a dedicated student of magic, among other topics.

Unfortunately, one of those topics is not fashion.

When Twilight invited her to this year’s Grand Galloping Gala, she sent back a letter where she seemed strangely reluctant to attend. After some gentle prodding, she admitted to Twilight that the thought of dressing up and mingling with ”fancy-smanshy” ponies, as she put it, made her uncomfortable.

Naturally, Twilight was concerned for her. Nopony should ever feel they weren’t good enough! So she reached out to me and asked if I could help. Of course I told her I would do my utmost.

So Twilight persuaded her to come to Canterlot Carousel for a consultation with me. I had cleared a good couple of hours in my schedule so we could get better acquainted and talk over her wishes and thoughts in peace.

She came right on time (I do appreciate punctuality!) and I took her to the kitchen for a cup of soothing chamomille tea. I thought it best to keep it casual and conversational, instead of overwhelming the poor dear with fashion advice from the get-go.

We had a lovely chat. I told her that I was aware of her trepidations, and she shared her feelings and where they came from. I am not at liberty to divulge any personal details, but the point is, once she had talked it over out loud, she admitted she felt less burdened.

I told her that wearing formal attire need not be a chore, and that the Gala is just a party. A fabulous party with intriguing conversation, wonderful music, exquisite cuisine and even more exquisite couture, but a party nonetheless, and nothing to be afraid of.

I think our conversation made her feel better about the whole affair. Once I saw she had relaxed a bit, I asked if she was ready to discuss her ensemble. She may have gulped a little, but she was a trooper and we proceeded to take her measurements.

I tried to find out if she had any wishes or preferences when it came to her outfit. She had very few demands besides ”not to make her look like parade float.”

That is the thing with customers. Sometimes they are very particular about what they want, to the point where you wonder why they didn’t simply go to a seamstress and ask them to make the dress, instead of consulting a designer. And sometimes calling their wishes ”vague” is generous. Moondancer is very much in the latter category.

”Well, since you don’t have a particular style in mind,” I said, ”why don’t you leave it in my hooves? I promise I will do my very best to make something you feel comfortable in.”

”Please do, Rarity,” she answered, ”I wouldn’t know where to start and would probably choose something hideous!”

”Nonsense darling! You really aught to trust your own judgement more. But worry not! I am positive you will feel lovely at the Gala!” I tried to reassure her.

I’m not completely sure if she believed me. She certainly shuffled her hooves in a hesitant manner. However, when I waived her on her way out, she did seem a little more cheerful that she had coming in.

And now my Gems, came the fun part: designing the outfit!

Moondancer has a very pale yellow coat, in a lemon shiffon shade. Her mane and tail are a slightly muted coral red with purple streaks. I must say, her complexion and hair color are a most rare combination! Usually ponies don’t have colors almost opposite to each other on the color wheel.

So choosing a color for her ensemble was the first thing I had to tackle. I had to find something that wouldn’t clash with her coat or mane, or make her pale visage appear sallow.

And let me tell you, it was no easy task! I thought about white or cream, but they would wash her out. I considered jade green, but even the softest tone would clash with her mane. Most of the blues I tried weren’t flattering, and metallics would be too flashy for her!

Then it came to me! I would take her natural colors, and celebrate them! So I gathered swatches and samples, creating a beautiful, autumnal bouquet of reds, purples, oranges and yellows that bridges all her natural tones together. Here are a couple of inspirational pictures I gathered so you’ll see what I mean:


Next I thought about the silhouette. The colors are quite rich, so I decided it best to keep the cut simple. Moondancer didn’t want anything too showy, so lots of frills or structured shoulders or a long sweeping train would be out of the question.

So I landed on a fitted bust and waist, made from cotton satin, and a tulle skirt with a bit of volume. Tulle is a wonderful material! It’s light and floaty, and so sheer that if you put layers of different shades on top of each other, they create this beautiful gradient effect:

As my main color I chose a rich shade of deep crimson. A slightly darker tone on top would calm the effect of the brighter colors, making the whole a bit more sedate, as per Moondancer’s wishes. I made most of the bust and the topmost layers of the skirt in that hue.

I went with a bateau neckline, for it pairs well with the volume in the skirt. I left the gown sleeveless, but with a sliver of crimson lace covering the shoulders and zhushing up the simple neckline.

I refrained from adding rhinestones or sequins or other embellishments. As much as I adore opulent sparkles, the most important thing was to make Moondancer happy, so keeping the materials matte and unobtrusive would serve her better.

Finally I was done, and invited Moondancer to come for a fitting. I was quite pleased with the final piece, but you’ll never know what your customer will think. So I must admit, I was slightly nerveous. What if she didn’t like it? What if she lost confidence and refused to come to the Gala? It would break my heart!

She came over to the boutique, looking even more tense than she had last time. I welcomed her and took her to the back, so she could have some privacy in case she felt self-conscious. The ensemble was on a mannequin, waiting for her.

”Ta-Dah! Your gown for the Gala! I do hope you like it, darling!” I exclaimed, hoping she would.

And... she said nothing.

For the longest moment, she stood there quietly. My heart sank. I had to keep myself from sighing, and reminded myself that every designer had these moments. Not all of your customers will love what you do. I have been through it before, even with my closest friends...

”It’s too pretty.”

I had to do a double take on that.

”What?” I gasped. How can anything be too pretty?!

”It’s too pretty for me. I couldn’t possibly do it justice. You should sell it to somepony else.” She sounded genuinely overwhelmed and sincere in her scruples.

”Now darling, don’t be silly! This outfit is designed for you, and nopony else would look as good in it! Just please try it on? For me?” I coaxed her.

She finally consented to put the dress on. I wanted her to see herself in a finished look, so I also gave her a mini-makeover. Her mane was umm... How do I put this delicately? Disheveled? So I gave it a quick brush and put it up in an elegant bun, and added an orange-and-crimson silk rose on her ear.

Also, I changed her glasses. It just so happened an up-and-coming eyewear house, Spectacular Spectacles, had sent the boutique a promotional package of their latest designs. It included a very chic pair with thin, purple rims, which brought out Moondancer’s eyes. Much better than the thick, black, taped-together glasses she had on!

Once I was done, I led her to the grand three way mirror.

”There you go darling! See what I mean?” I asked her.

And she looked absolutely amazing!!! The colors worked even better than I had hoped! Her complexion looked vibrant and luminous, the fit highlighted her figure and the layers of tulle made the whole thing so feminine and joyful!

”It... I’m...” the dear stuttered at first, ”IT IS SO LOVELY!!! I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS IS ME!!!” she exclaimed jubilantly.

(EDIT: Since writing this I have gotten a picture of Moondancer in her new gown! Behold!!!)

And this, my Gems, is my absolute favorite part of my work, and the main reason I wanted to write this post.

I call it ”The Mirror Twirl Moment.” The moment a customer puts on a dress that fits them to a T, and turns from an everyday mare into a princess! And it’s not the clothes that do that. It’s the way they light up from the inside, the way their eyes sparkle, the way their posture and demeanor changes. And, without exception, they do the twirl. They turn in front of the mirror, trying to catch every detail, watching how the beautiful fabric moves with them.

I have seen it a hundred hundred times, and I will never tire of it. Never.

”See? I told you so dearest!” I giggled, relieved and happy she finally saw what I saw. ”Nopony could carry this gown better than you.”

”They would have to pry it from cold dead hooves! I can’t wait to wear this to the Gala!” she said, visibly giddy.

She thanked me most profusely, and we promised to meet for a coffee soon. I watched her strutting away with her purchase held high in her magic. And I must say, there was a whole new spring in her step :twilightsmile:

I have done this with so many ponies in the past. This is my happiness, my pride and joy as a designer: making others feel as beautiful as they are.

And I wanted to tell you all about it, my darling Gems! Do note, I had Moondancer read this post before I published it, because I wanted to make sure she wouldn’t feel uncomfortable about it.

”Go ahead!” she wrote back, ”After how much help you gave me, you may write all you want. And now that I know I have my own ’fabulosity’ like you taught me, I don’t mind being the topic of conversation!”

She really is such a sweetheart, and a fabulous pony! 💖✨


So this is my story for today.

What do you think? Have you had a Mirror Twirl Moment?

As I’ve said before, leave a Dear Rarity message in the comments if you have questions or thoughts for me. I would love to hear from you!

Have an amazing weekend, my precious Gems!

Kisses and Glitter,

Rarity

Author's Note:

Hi lovely peoples!

The amazingly talented The Sleepless Beholder drew Moondancer in her new gown!!!
Go read their stories, they are all things great and awesome 👏👏👏

Here is the picture again, just because it’s awesome: