• Published 17th Sep 2020
  • 459 Views, 97 Comments

Rarity’s Blog on Life, Fashion and All Things Fabulous - My Little Pastafarian



Rarity discusses the things she loves on her fabulous blog ✨💖✨

  • ...
7
 97
 459

Greetings My Little Gems! 💎💎💎

Mood: Cheerful! :pinkiehappy:
Listening to: Backstreet Colts (I like my nostalgia! Don’t judge.)
Outfit of the Day: An off-shoulder, cream-colored cashmere sweater, a dark purple box-pleated skirt, and my trusty pompadour heels (the white ones with the adorable bows.)

Hello all you wonderful ponies out in the ether!

I am Rarity, designer and couturier based in Ponyville.

You might be familiar with some of my work, or have heard about the adventures I have had with my friends. And we certainly have had many of those! Nary a month seems to go by without some disaster or evildoer making havoc on our lives. And me and my friends rally as the Bearers of the Elements of Harmony, and do what we can to help. It is an interesting, busy life, I suppose.

But this blog isn’t about that. This is about other aspects of my life and work, the less dramatic parts. And I started this on the recommendation of a good friend.

A fortnight ago I was having a simply scrumptious lunch at the Tasty Treat in Canterlot with my friend Princess Twilight Sparkle.

Have you visited the establishment? They have the most marvelous Eastern Equestrian cuisine! I especially recommend their new tasting menu. It takes you on a magical ride from the lush orchards to the salt-sprayed coasts in the east, all served on a single plate of bite-sized treats.

Anyway, we were enjoying our food, and chatted as girlfriends do. I had returned from Manehattan Fashion Week the night before, and was eager to tell Twilight everything! The shows, the ponies, the fashions! Even now, the memories give me the shivers. What a wonderful time we live in, and what amazingly talented designers we have!

After I had described Coco Pommel’s latest, breath-taking collection Études de Bleus, Twilight gave me one of her knowing smiles.

All of us who are lucky to count her amongst their close friends know that smile. It means you are about to recieve good and well-meant advice. And advice she had.

”Have you ever considered writing a blog?” she asked me.

”A blog?” I answered, ”Haven’t thought of it. I’m a visual creator, first and foremost. Writing is more your forté, darling.”

”True. But you do have a lot to say about the things you are passionate about. I think there are lots of ponies who would be interested in your thoughts on fashion and things like that. And it would give you a chance to connect with others with similar interests. So think about it?”

I promised I would.

These past two weeks I found myself pondering more and more about starting this blog. And the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do it. Twilight was right: I do have a lot to say, and sharing that does sound like fun!

So here we are.


I had a hard time deciding what to write about first. But then I realized that the yarn I spun about Études de Bleus made Twilight recommend writing to me, so I might as well start there.

Coco Pommel is a good friend of mine, and I had the chance to discuss her new collection backstage. So I’m in the happy position to be able to share my thoughts, as well as her inspirations.

As the name suggests, the collection is a celebration of the various shades of blue.

Ultramarine, lapiz, sapphire, cerulean... Blue is a color with many faces, from the depths of the ocean, to the vivid, almost blinding brightness of electric blue, to soft, soothing pastels. Not to mention how some blues are close to purple, while others have a clear tinge towards green!

Because the color has so much variety, a designer must usually choose the hues they are to work with very carefully. Even if it is technically the same color, a multitude of varying shades of blue thrown together willy-nilly makes for a disjointed garment.

I asked Coco how she chose her colors. This is what she told me.

”Well,” she said, ”my inspiration was twilight in Manehattan, and how the bluish light is different, yet similar every day. So I took two shades of blue: a deep midnight blue to represent the night, and a softer cornflower to show the day. Then I made several dyes with those two as the base, making some lighter and some darker, and making slight variations. And I used those to dye my fabrics.”

What a wonderful idea! She got a large variety of shades, but because they had the same base, the whole stayed harmonious. Here are some swatches of the colors she used:


And what wonderful garments she put together!

The collection featured fourteen beautiful looks. Instead of sparkly evening gowns and high-end cocktail dresses, the vibe was delightfully down to earth. You could see these outfits on any trendy girl living their best life out on the town! And some of the smarter pieces could take a mare from the office to an after work cocktail, to the local eatery and home in style.

For her materials Miss Pommel had chosen denim, to further explore the theme of blue, and chantilly lace. The casual, heavy fabric and the rich, delicate lace made for an interesting pairing. I do love contrasting materials, especially when working with a limited color palette. It makes the designs pop, if you know what I mean ✨

The detail work in the collection consisted of intricate piping and ribbons of different shades of blue woven and criss-crossed on the fabric. The effect was pretty, but playful and youthful.

Most pieces featured were feminine skirts and dresses and blouses. A girl of any size or shape would find something here, whether an easy-to-match pencil skirt or a bold statement piece, like the amazing floor-lenght kimono jacket with lace embellishments on the shoulders.

One of the stand-out ensembles was a pair of cigarette pants and a slim-fitting jacket, with a frilly lace shirt with a bow collar. It was the perfect combination of girly and soft, and tailored and sharp, all in such glorious shades of blue!

My absolute favorite was the last look to walk down the runway. It was a swing dress with just the slightest bit of crinolin under the skirt, but not so much you’d look like a waitress in a 50s diner. 👗👗👗

The skirt and bust were gradient colored, from a light sky blue at the neckline to a dark navy at the hem. The beautiful color shift was cut in two at the waist with a wide band of navy lace. You could see the slightest bit of skin through it, making it flirty and sexy without being vulgar. The dress had the lovely ribbon detailing on the v-neckline and cap sleeves. It’s always a good idea to draw attention to your assets like that 😘✨

I will most definitely order one for myself!

I could go on and on about the collection and Coco’s work in general. But I just wanted to give a short overview and share some thoughts and highlights here.

Check Coco Pommel’s amazing creations on Manestagram!


Now, since I’m new to this whole blogging thing, I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions what to write about. Do you want to hear my thoughts or opinions on something? Do you need fashion advice? Do you have any questions?

Put a ”Dear Rarity” message in the comments below and I’ll try my best to answer! Include pics if you want to hear my opinion on a look.

Have an absolutely marvelous day my Gems!!! 💎💎💎

Kisses and Glitter!

Rarity