• Published 1st Oct 2020
  • 3,613 Views, 55 Comments

Of Fire and Death - Puzzling Frost



When the skies turn black, and destruction reigns. Aid shall come from the most unlikely of places.

  • ...
4
 55
 3,613

Chapter 4: Questions and Theories

As the sun sets on the horizon, its glimmering light dancing on the walls of Canterlot, Celestia sighs in content atop her tower balcony.

“Ah, another day ending,” Celestia said with a smile.

“And another night beginning,” Luna said trotting up to her sister. The two exchanged a hug as they set the celestial bodies on their way.

“But I suppose tonight will be anything but normal,” Celestia said with a somewhat somber tone.

“Indeed, this will be our last Summer Sunset Celebration, for both us and the rest of Equestria,” Luna said.

“Do you think we’re doing the right thing?” Celestia asked as she trotted back into her chamber.

“You aren’t having second thoughts now are you sister?” Luna asked following close behind.

“No, Twilight is ready dear sister. She has been for quite a while, I’m just worried our ponies may not take it well.” Celestia lamented as she trotted out the door. The two ventured down the hallway past various guards and staff all of who bowed in their presence.

“The citizens of Equestria have long since given their trust to Twilight and her friends in recent years. I doubt there is any who wouldn’t say she will make an excellent leader.” Luna said confidently.

“Indeed, however so much has happened in the past few months,” Celestia said pausing as they entered the grand hallway. Here large stained glass windows stood on both sides of the corridor depicting various important events in Equestria’s history. As the two entered Luna made sure to wave at the Security Geese nesting above before the two stopped at the newest addition to the gallery.

It depicted the dark King Sombra’s attack on Equestria and his destruction of the Tree of Harmony before being defeated once more by Twilight and her friends.

“The return of Sombra troubles me sister, while Twilight and her friends came through once more. It did not come without cost.” Celestia sighed, Luna placed a wing on her sister’s shoulder to comfort her.

“The loss of the tree and the elements was heartbreaking sister, and still I can not fully comprehend that it happened. And while Twilight’s students helped remake the tree into the Treehouse of Harmony, it still doesn’t take away the shock of it all.” Luna said.

“Indeed but what’s more concerning me is the timing of the events. Not shortly after we privately announce our retirement does darkness rear its head.” Celestia said with grim worry.

“Thou believe there is something more behind Sombra’s return?” Luna inquired.

“Or someone, Sombra was banished into the Aether and he had returned stronger than ever. Not shortly after did we receive word that Tirek and Cozy Glow had escaped Tartarus without a trace.” Celestia said. “The report we received stated that there was no forced exit from either Cozy or Tirek’s cages. Nor did it appear they were unlocked. They must have received help, but from where and who?”

“Could it have been Chrysalis? She has not been since she was dethroned.” Luna suggested.

“No, I doubt she would even know where to look for Tartarus, let alone have the power to enter and break out two of its most well-guarded occupants.” Celestia corrected, she paused for a moment as she gazed over toward another mural, it depicting Cozy’s defeat. “I truly wished that Twilight could have gotten through to Cozy, to think that a child, one of our little ponies, was willing to rid the world of magic in an attempt to conquer us all, and with still no information on where she came from or who her family is.”

“Indeed, even my attempts to enter her dreams had been for naught. Very few can keep me out, and she managed it while still so young. She hath the mind of a genius.” Luna lamented.

“I think...I think we should hold off our retirement a little while longer, we may be transferring the crown to Twilight, but it does not mean we can’t still assist her. At least till those three are found.” Celestia said, Luna, nodded in agreement.

“Oh wanting to fix some last few mistakes before turning in the towel are we?” A voice echoed out from all around. Celestia sighed with a playful smirk while Luna rolled her eyes.

“Hello Discord,” Celestia said. “Are you here to enjoy the holiday?” The two looked up as a Goose suddenly leaped up in alarm. A strange-looking egg lay in its nest. It jiggled and rolled out before either of the two could catch it paused in mid-air. It started to crack and from the top poked out the head of the draconequus in question.

“Now what gave you that idea?” Discord said gleefully. He shook the egg as his limbs popped out of more cracks, “You like? Rarity said I should accessorize more.”

“What is it you need Discord?” Luna groaned. The chaotic spirit shed the egg and reappeared atop the lunar princess's crown.

“Well if you must know I came for the eventual chaos that will unfold once you tell little Twilight about the importance of this event.” Luna snorted and shook her head throwing Discord off. He landed on the floor and broke apart like a Lego set. “Also I figured I way in on your little conversation with some news.”

“What news? Did you find where Tirek and Cozy are?” Celestia asked eyebrow raised.

“No nothing like that.” Discord said reappearing in front of them, in a monk robe. “I had felt a certain ‘disturbance’ earlier today and went to investigate. But all I found was a minor earthquake had occurred and caused a wildfire near Mt. Everhoof. Luckily no one was around to be put in danger. I graciously put it out to prevent further damage to any wildlife critters.” He said pulling off the robe.

“Hmm well, at least there was no long-lasting damage,” Celestia said. “Thank you Discord.”

“The pleasure is all mine, we must take care of our environment after all.” Discord said wearing a forest ranger hat.

“You’re just trying to get Fluttershy to make her famous buttermilk tea and biscuits for you aren’t you?” Luna said with a smirk.

“Wait how do you know about those?” Discord questioned.

“You're not the only one who she has tea with you know.” Luna beamed sticking out a tongue. Discord harrumphed in jealously.

“If that is all Discord I believe we’ll take our leave, we have much to discuss with Twilight,” Celestia said with a smile. “Perhaps the two of you could plan a joint tea party with Fluttershy sometime after?”

“Oh, what a marvelous idea! I’ll go tell Fluttershy now!” Discord said before teleporting away. Luna gave her sister the stink eye.

“You enjoyed that didn’t you Tia?” Luna said as Celestia chuckled.


Meanwhile


As the Moon and stars glimmered overhead, a grey pegasus mare was making her way through the sky.

“Alrighty, last stop Canterlot! One last mail delivery and I’m free to enjoy the holiday.” Derpy said in a sing-song voice. “Although I wish Yona had given me that last delivery earlier today. Yakyakistan is a bit of far for little old me.” The bubbly mare flew on merrily. As she passed through some cloud banks, she felt her fur stand on end. It suddenly felt warmer than before, then out of the corner of her uncentered eye she saw something.

“Huh?” She turned around to see several flocks of birds flying frantically toward her. She quickly dipped into a nearby cloud as they passed by in a bit of a panic. Poking her head out she tilted her head in confusion. “Now what’s got their feathers in a twist? I’ve never seen that many birdies fly at this time of hour.”

Her thoughts were interrupted by what sounded like a thunderclap, suddenly she was hit with a powerful gust of wind. Her mail cap flew off her head for a moment before she caught it with her teeth, she held onto both her bag and the cloud for dear life as this sudden blast of wind tried to send her flying.

The wind passed and she sighed in relief when the light of the moon was suddenly cut off. Looking up the mare's eyes straightened and shrunk in terror. A titanic shadow passed over her for several moments before vanishing into the clouds ahead. Her jaw dropped as she let go of her hat. She followed where the creature left, seeing its wings silently poke out above the clouds a few times before vanishing into the night. She didn’t even notice her cap gently placed back upon her head as a green mist zipped past chasing after the shadow.

Author's Note:

Hey, all-new chapter! Finally got some writing mojo back, been a bit of a hectic few months. Upside my mom is doing better, she finished radiation and everything is looking good. The scary part is over thankfully. Sorry for the long delay, I hope you enjoy this chapter, and lets all look forward to a better more positive new year! :)