• Published 16th Sep 2020
  • 203 Views, 1 Comments

A Muffin in Time - TheothersideofSunny968



A story about a couple who make some otherworldy friends.

  • ...
 1
 203

Chapter 1

Sundays for my wife and I were pretty relaxed and for the most part went like clockwork. We were both off on Sundays, but I'd let her sleep in while I wake up, go donate plasma (for a little extra spending cash), then after that, I'd pick my wife up and we'd do some thrift store shopping, or yard sale hunting, before everything closed up for the day. You never knew what you would find at places like those. But everything normally closed up early around Sunday around us, and it left us with no where to go or much to do in the afternoon. So we'd save chores or other home based events for then. But a few months ago, our Sundays took a rather unexpected turn...



My wife and I had just returned to our apartment at around 3:30ish, having just returned empty handed from several thrift stores (its sometimes a hit and a miss), and were honestly board. We keep our aptartment clean for the most part. We aren't the cleanest people by far, but we don't make alot of messes. We had a ton of movies plus the power of Netflix, Hulu, YouTube and anything we want to watch on the internet in the palm of our hands, but none of it seemed to interestus in the slightest. I had some art projects I could have worked on, but I wasn't feeling it. My wife had just finished some of her projects as well and didn't feel like starting any more. It was too hot to go outside for a walk or a bike ride (summers in Arizona, gotta love them, right?), and the complexe's pool was closed. We didn't really have friends, and no one else to hang out with. So there we were. Board. At home. Nothing to do.

As we were sitting there on our couch, pointlessly scrolling down from one social media app or another, seeing posts and moving past them, forgetting almost everything we saw previously to move to the next thing we also would soon forget about, I heard something from outside. It was faint, but I knew I heard it. Some familiar sound like something from a dream. My wife didn't her anything until I got up and opened our front door. We both heard it now. It was like an echoing alarm, or one of those wierd sounds on an electric piano to duplicate scifi noises. But to very few people who watch a certain British scifi television show, we knew it was the sound of a protector, the sound that echoed time itself.

Jumping out the door, I more then half expected someone to be playing a prank on us, but before I could see what was actually making the noise, I was run over by several pairs of hard round feet. I didn't know what hit me, but by the time I opened my eyes, the ones who ran me over were gone, running as quickly as they could down the single flight of stairs from our upper level apartment, and disapeared without a trace. When I could, I asked my wife if she was seeing what I was seeing. She couldn't take her eyes off it but confirmed that I was, in deed, not halisinating. Standing at the edge of our patio, next to our outside storage door was an 8 foot tall muffin.

Thats right. A giant muffin.

Here I was expecting a giant blue box from the 1960s, with the words 'Police Call Box' in white letters on the side. But no. Instead I had come face to face with a giant pastry suitable for both breakfast and desert.

After a quick moment to catch my breath, my wife helped me up, and together we explore the pastry. It felt like a muffin, it smelled like a muffin, and I was willing to bet that it tasted like a muffin too, but I wasn't willing to taste something I just found outside. We had both tried to take pictures of the giant muffin, but for whatever reason, our phones couldn't snap a picture of it. The picture always came up black. It felt like we were only messing with the muffin for only a few moments, but according to the black pictures on our phones, we had been at it for a little over an hour. Then we heard the ones who ran me over make their return. We heard their voices as they climbed the stairs, their voices sounded so familiar to my wife and I, we thought we were hallucinating.

There, reaching the top of the stairs, talking in almsot another language amongst theirselves, were two ponies. Not like the ponies one could see at a carnival that small children could ride for an outrageous amount of money, but ponies just like the pastel colored ones from the popular cartoon show 'My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic'. One was a grey colored pegasus mare, her mane and tail were a watered down yellow color, and on her flank were the images of several bubbles. One thing to note that really defined her look were her vibrant yellowish orange eyes, both of which were looking in opposite directions, one more up and one more down. The other pony with her was a brown coated, earth pony stallion, with a short spiked dark brown mane and tail to match, with a pair of light blue eyes. The stallion wore a stripped suit with a red tie, which hid most of his body and especially his cutie mark. But I didn't need to see his cutie mark to know it was an hourglass. My wife and I would have recognized these ponies anywhere. They were none other then Derpy and Doctor Whooves! Two of My little Pony's most famous background ponies. Doctor Whooves was the reason I got into the show Doctor Who in the first place. My wife and I just looked at them in amazement as the two ponies walked up and around us, talking about something they had just done comparing it to another adventure they had. I didn't know what to say, so I just blerted out the first thing that came to my mind.

"Allons-y?" The famous catchphrase of David Tennant when he played the 10th doctor.

Doctor Whooves and Derpy looked back at my wife and I, taken back a little as they realized we were fully able to see them and move. Both were shocked by the word I chose to show we knew they were there.

After a moment Doctor and Derpy stepped through a doorway that appeared on the giant muffin, but Doctor Whooves looked back at me, smiled and said "precisely."

He then shut the door to the giant muffin, closing himself inside. All my wife and I could do, dumbfounded and amazed at what we were seeing, was watch as the giant muffin began to fade from our sight, the sound it made were the same as the TARDIS from the Doctor Who show, a wavering scifi echo. Just as quickly as the muffin appeared, it had vanished, leaving behind no trace that it was ever there.



Days had passed and my wife and I still couldn't believe what we saw. If it had been just one of us seeing it, we could have said they were seeing things. But it was both of us. We tried for hours afterwards to rationalize it all. We wanted to figure out the mystery of the giant muffin and the appearance of Doctor Whooves and Derpy. Looking all over the internet, we tried to see if anyone else had seen them or anything else relating to brightly colored ponies, anything related to Equesteia, or even similar sightings of giant muffins or alien sightings. But nothing turned up that the internet didn't already have.

Fan art people have done of Derpy and Doctor Whooves, cut and paste pictures of the two ponies placed into pictures people had taken, and fan fiction prople wrote about 'real' experiences' seeing and interacting with the time travaling couple. I had read most of the ones that seemed realistic, well, as realistic as two magical poniestravaling in a disappearing muffin can be, while my wife continued the search online. None of the fan fictions seemed even close to how Doctor Whooves and Derpy would act, and some turned out rather… well, I rather not ge tinto it. Hours of searching proved pointless. We were no closer to answers then when we first started. My wife had decided it was best to forget about it and move on with our lives. But I could tell she wasn't going to let it go, and neither was I.

Then Sunday came.

It had been a full week now since we saw the giant muffin, Derpy or Doctor Whooves, and we went about with our normal ruitine. I'd wake up, go do plasma, come home, pick my wife up, we go do some thrift store/yard sale hunting, get some lunch, then head home and maybe do some chores or watch a movie. We had just sat down to watch some movie from our collection of DVDs when we heard the sound again! This time my wife and I both scrambled outside as fast as we could, I had my phone ready to record the whole thing, where my wife had an old video recorder she borrowed from her parents, thinking it would work better then an electronic phone. Unfortunatly, we got there just at the tail end of it all. Just as we got out our front door, the giant muffin had made its vanishing noise and disappeared into thin air. I had my phone up and running, recording my feet as I scrambled outside, but when I tried to record the vanishing muffin, the images went black until the muffin was completly gone. My wife had just got the video recorder up and running when the muffin had vanished. It had all happened so fast, my wife and I didn't know what had happened. Was this really happening or was someone messing with our heads. Either way, we were getting whip lash from this contant 'forget about the whole thing' and 'OMG its them! Get the camera!'

The week seemed to drag on. Work seemed so dull, and I kept making little mistakes, most of my attention being deverted to paying attwntion to my surroundings, hoping the muffin would show up at my work for some reason. I gave my wife the idea to look through history books and old pictures, remembering from season 1 of Doctor Who how the 9th Doctor had been seen in several old pictures and paintings. Unfortunatly, my wife didn't come across anything. We were begining to lose hope, then Sunday came!

Sunday was the only consistent thing that the visits had in common. Well, that and that they came after we returned home around 3:30/4. My wife and I decided it would be best if I skip plasma and we both hang out on the patio, waiting for the muffin to show up. Maybe it showed up multiple times on Sunday and we never knew it. We knew we were starting to sound crazy, but we knew we couldn't take time off work and just sit there and wait for a muffin to magically appear out of thin air (out of context thst sounds REALLY crazy), but we wanted to give this a try. It was a nice day, we had some cold beverages, some snacks, our phones fully charged, and all day to wait. Which we did. All. Day.

But nothing happened.

Night fell and my wife and I went back into our aptartment, sulking, spirits low as we felt we just wasted our entire day doing nothing but sitting on our backsides.

The week rolled by and things went back to normal. I made less mistakes, giving my work my full attention since I was no long looking for the giant muffin. My wife grew even more depressed then I did. She hardly spoke at all, even when her mom called, which, the two spoke like best friends half the time. We stopped having desert at night and just went to bed earlier then we normally did. The days dragged on. Then Sunday came. My wife amd I slept in even later then normal. I got back from plasma a little later then normal, but not much, it was a slow day down there. After picking her up, my wife and I dragged our feet to one of our favorite book stores, then one thrift store before making our way back home. On our way home, we stopped and picked up some stuff for our favorite tatertot casserol, as well as an angle food cake for desert. If I didn't work the next day, we probably would have picked up some booze too.

As we walked the stairway up to our appartment, I unlocked the door to our apartment, flipped the lights on and were shocked to see none other then the two time travaling ponies just laying asleep on our couch!

Flipping on the lights woke Derpy up. She blinked several times before her vision must have cleared. She then smiled and shook Doctor Whooves awake telling him that we had returned. Doctor, in turn, groggily woke up and rubbed his own eyes. Once they both were awake, Doctor got the coffee table set up with a board game while Derpy went into our kitchen and grabbed us all some drinks. Of course, she did trip over her own hooves and splash the drinks all over the carpet, but I acted quickly and started cleaning it up while my wife tended to Derpy, seeing if she was alright.

Once everyone and everypony were seated, Doctor grabbed the dice and insisted we decide on who goes first by the high roll. He shook the dice in his hooves and threw them onto the board, getting two 5s. As Derpy scooped up the dice for her roll, I quickly shot off quesgion after quesgion "what are you two doing here!? How are you two here!? What is with the giant muffin!? Are ponies and the magical world of equestria real!? Is everything in the show true!? And are you a real doctor, with, like, a degree and everything!?"

Derpy paused her dice roll and looked to Doctor Whooves with a concerned and questioning look. Doctor, in turn, pulled out a small pocket watch, shook it in his hooves then held it to his ear, to make sure it was working.

"We must be early, by… three weeks, I assume" Doctor answered, then released an annoyed sigh before turning to us. "I guess this is where it technically begins for you two, though, we've known you two for a while now, this must be our first encounter. The time line is a hard thing to figure out sometimes. Funny thing, the phrase 'time line'. But time isn't a strict cause and effect. Its more like a ball. A ball made of this… ugh, well, wibbaly-wabbaly timmy-wimmy… stuff. And things get complicated sometimes."

"But basically we're friends who hang out on Sundays around this time, you guys said it was the best time for you, and it works for us" Derpy chimmed in, throwing the dice she had been holding onto, getting snake eyes and huffing at her result.

"Yes, and well, as time travelers, we can do any time, really" Doctor continued, clearing his throat and passing my wife the dice for her roll. "And there will be a time in the future where you help us with a bit of a problem in your world, then you in ours, and through our adventures we become close friends."

While I was still trying to process everything, I looked to my wife, who, after a long pause, muttered under her breath a repetition of expletives that would make a sailor blush. Derpy laughed at that and Doctor kept his composure, but I could tell he was fighting back a bit of laughter. My wife rolled a 3 and a 4, then handed the dice to me.

"So… ugh… we have friends?" Was what I could get out as I rolled the dice in my hands, they landed on a 3 and 6. "And we play board games… every Sunday?"

"Every 3rd Sunday" Derpy added with a chuckle. "Sometimes we bake cookies and watch your worlds movies. I really like that one with the circus and the singing by the Wolverine."

"Derpy, he isn't Wolverine in every movie he stars in" Doctor cocked a half smile as he looked over at his companion. "But she is right. We do hang out alot. And I'll do my best to answer your quesgions without revealing too much. But, let's talk while we play. I believe I go first, and I extend to finnaly beat you this time…"

Author's Note:

This was a fun prompt for my writing group, and it was lovely based off another fic called 'Friday Night with Twilight' link below. I really didn't know which direction to go in. At first, I was goi g to do some 'Edgar Allen Poe's The Raven' style where Ms. Harshwhinny shows up and starts looking all around our appartment, and I'm paranoid at what she would think of our cleaning job, the food we eat and of course our mlp collection. 'That Celestia Body pillow is for cuddles, I swear. I have mommy issues and need reassurance.' LOL. But that started to be more comedic then anything. Then my wide suggested Derpy and Doctor Whooves. Our favorite ship. (My personal favorite ship is Princess Celestia and King Sombra), and I tried it out and I'd like to think it turned out pretty well. Don't know if I'll make more chapters for this. Perhapse later.

Let me know what you guys think in the comment section below, I'm open to any and all criticism. It only helps to build oneself better.

Comments ( 1 )

That was hilarious.

Login or register to comment