• Published 1st Jan 2021
  • 999 Views, 250 Comments

Tugs of Seaquestria - The Blue EM2



The tugboat, for its size, is one of the most powerful craft afloat. And the Seaquestria Tugboat Company is the power behind the docks and waterways of Hippogriffia port. This... is Tugs of Seaquestria!

  • ...
4
 250
 999

Silverstream

It was the golden age of commerce, and Hippogriffia Port, the largest harbour in the world, was a place not of only of great business, but also of great change and opportunity. There was nobody who knew this better than the tugboats, whose strength, determination, and big hearts made them popular with everybody from ocean liners to cargo ships. The workloads and schedules would often keep them working well into the night, and this was especially true for my company, the Seaquestria Tugboat Company.

Back in those days we had a fleet of 6 tugboats. The first, and oldest member of the fleet, was Mistmane, a paddle steamer built in the east in ancient times. Painted pale purple with green lining, she was pretty long in the tooth now, but she was a hard worker and brought decades of experience with her, experience we certainly valued.

The next two vessels were dock tugs, hardy, strong machines designed for moving big vessels and cargo barges. I had two of these; Sky Beak and Big Mac. The former was blue with silver lining, and the latter red with orange lining. Sky Beak was a hard worker, but he could also be rather clumsy at times, a trait that was not shared by Big Mac, a tugboat from a country port judging from his thick accent. He was also very much the strong, silent type, characterised by his tendency to answer questions with one word; 'eeyup'.

Blueblood couldn't have been more different. A white tug with yellow lining, he was excessively verbose and very, very posh, not to mention a bit snooty. He worked as a railroad tug. He wasn't as powerful as Sky Beak or Big Mac, so he spent most of his working hours shipping railroad barges from one side of the harbour to the other.

The next vessel was my smallest, and also something of a favourite amongst the dock hands. She was Skystar, our dock switcher, and she was yellow with blue lining. She was erratic and a bit hyperactive, but also very eager to please. She mostly worked with a pair of barges called Shelly and Sheldon. The final vessel was Ocean Flow, the largest and most powerful of them all. Painted yellow with purple lining, she was the only tug I owned who could go to sea. They were a hard working lot, and did what was asked of them... most of the time.

I guess that leaves one person. If you look at many of the older dockside photos of us at work during those days, you can often see a woman standing on the dockside. She has light peach skin with deep purple eyes, yellow lips, and hair coloured deep purple and light pink. She is normally wearing a dark blue skirt with a formal jacket above that, with a turquoise shirt underneath that and a pair of dark red heels.

That's me. I'm Novo, but I was Captain Novo back then. I had originally served for 10 years as a merchant sailor, but an injury out at sea caused by a seapony ramming incident had put paid to that career. Instead, I went into business, figuring that if I could no longer sail, I could manage others to do it for me.

Our story begins one morning many years ago. The tugs' boilers had been lit and they were steaming nicely. They were moored along the harbourfront, awaiting their briefing. Sure enough, I emerged from my office to a chorus of whistles. It was their way of saying 'good morning'.

"Good morning!" I called, indicating they could cease whistling. "I have some excellent news today. I am proud to announce I have purchased a new tugboat to help you out. Skystar, she'll be working with you for today. Make sure to show her how we do things!"

"Yes ma'am!" Skystar replied. "What's she called?"

"Silverstream," I replied.

"Silverstream?!" Blueblood exclaimed, sounding surprised and a little offended. "I take it she only works when the water flows through the harbour."

"That's every day," Skystar retorted, confused.

"I expect all of you to give her a good welcome," I continued, taking back control of the situation. "Now for the really good news! I managed to secure the Ocean Liner contract, and we hit the jackpot."

"Which liner is it, Captain Novo?" asked Sky Beak.

"The Princess Celestia, the largest liner around. I will need all of you to assist bringing her into port. Mistmane, you're in charge. I'll need your expertise as you know these waters like the backs of your paddle wheels."

"Yes ma'am," Mistmane replied.

"Big Mac?"

"Yes Captain?"

"You're out front."

"Eeyup."

"Sky Beak, Blueblood, I want you on the side push."

"What about me, Captain?" asked Skystar.

"Not you," Blueblood said snottily. "This is work for proper tugboats, not switchers."

"Indeed!" Sky Beak said. "Big tugs only."

"Watch you don't bump into her, Sky Beak!" Skystar joked.

"Alright, that's enough," I said. "Off you go, Skystar. Show Silverstream how it's done." Once she had left, I turned my attention to the others. "I want all of you done with your jobs by lunchtime, so the fitters have a chance to ensure you're all in perfect shape for the maneuvres. You're also getting a new coat of paint out of this too."


Our part of the world is called Seaquestria, of which Hippogriffia is merely the largest city. Most of this realm runs along the coastline with many artificial islands and harbours built off the shore. However, the entire landscape is bound together by Mount Aris, an extinct volcano that towers high into the sky. Many miles along the coast is another settlement, Ocean City, and it is here that another tugboat fleet was based. They were the Ocean City Towing, Salvage and Tugboat corporation, but most people called them the Storm Fleet after their owner, the self styled 'Storm King'. They were our principal rivals back in those days.

The Storm Fleet consisted of five tugboats, and you could smell them long before you saw them as they were diesel tugs. The largest of them was Tempest Shadow, a goliath of a tug painted purple with lighter pink lining running up and down her frames. Next in the pecking order was Grubber, a comically small tugboat painted grey with silver lining. After him were a trio of tugs. They were named Adagio Dazzle, Aria Blaze, and Sonata Dusk. Adagio was painted yellow with orange and yellow lining, a distinct contrast to Aria, who was pink with purple and turquoise lining. Finally, Sonata was painted light blue with two tone lining in darker shades of blue. I can only assume the paint shop was short on paint that day.

As opposed to my approach of trying to be friendly with my ships, the Storm King was instead having a go at his. He was an unsightly, ugly, unhygenic man, with grey skin and white hair that went in every direction.

"Listen to me, maggots!" he shouted. "Captain Novo's lot have secured the ocean liner contract, and I want that contract now. I am not happy. Not. Happy."

"We're not exactly mirthful ourselves," Tempest snorted.

"What does mirthful mean?" Sonata asked.

Aria rolled her eyes. "Go back to sleep, Sonata."

"I'm glad none of you find it funny, because you are going to get it for me."

The tugs all agreed- except one. "Hang on a minute," Adagio started, "I thought the con-"

"I DON'T EXPECT YOU TO THINK, I EXPECT YOU TO DO AS ORDERED!" the Storm King boomed. "You are the best, newest, most powerful, better looking, and more devious tugs compared to those kettles on water."

"I like that description," Grubber smiled.

"What's with all the long words?" Sonata asked. "It's quite annoying."

"You're really annoying," Aria retorted.

"Shut it!" Adagio snapped. "Excuse them, they're idiots."

"Do whatever it takes to get me that contract," the Storm King continued. "Start your engines, and get out there! GO! GO! GO!"

Grumbling as they did so, the Storm Fleet set off for the open waters. "Leave this one to me," Tempest told the others. "Those claptraps will find they missed the boat, or my name's not Tempest Shadow."

"I thought your name was Tempest Shadow," Sonata asked.

"It's actually Fizzlepop Berr-"

Tempest blasted her horn, long and loud. "Quiet!"


As she headed upriver, Skystar met with Ocean Flow, who was taking on water. She had work to do up the coast with another company, so I was to lose her strength the one day I needed it the most.

"Hey Ocean Flow!" Skystar called. "The Princess Celestia is coming into port today. A shame you won't be there, but I suppose if you have work to do, it's for the best."

"It's a pity alright," Ocean Flow sighed. "I was looking forward to helping her in."

"Hey, have you seen a tug named Silverstream anywhere?" Skystar asked.

The water column retracted, indicating Ocean Flow's water tanks were full. "I'm afraid I haven't. Please take care of the Celestia will you, dear?"

"Of course!" Skystar replied, and continued on her way. On the way, she met Mistmane.

"I ran into the new tugboat earlier," Mistmane called. "Please keep an eye out!"

No sooner had this been said, then a new tugboat steamed into view, with a high pitched whistle. She was the smallest tugboat that Skystar had ever seen! She was very small, and low in the water, with a comically tall smokestack. She was still painted in the factory livery of grey, and nearly steamed into Skystar.

Skystar blasted her whistle. "Look out!"

The small tugboat put her propellors into reverse and tried to stop, but she banged into Skystar. "Oops! Sorry. Still getting used to the new propellors. But it's a great day! Tuesdays are great!"

"And why is that?" Skystar asked.

"I was launched on a Tuesday. I'm looking for a tug called Skystar?"

"Well, you just found her! Wanna play?"

"I'd love to! I'm Silverstream!" the small tug replied.

"Shall we get to work?" Skystar said. "If we're quick, we'll be able to watch the docking operations."

"Yes ma'am!" Silverstream replied.

"First thing, you only call Captain Novo ma'am. I'm just Skystar."

"Yes, Skystar! On my way!" Silverstream replied, and the two tugboats set to work.


"Well, look what the tide dragged in," Tempest sneered, as she and the other Storm Fleet vessels approached a tramper that was painted brown with white lining. "If it isn't Thunderhooves."

"I am stuck here, and need a tow," Thunderhooves replied. "I don't understand why I cannot sail in on my own. These waterways were open before in the time of my predecessor, and his predecessor before him, and his predecessor before him, and his predecessor before him, and his predecessor before him..."

"Look, we get it," Adagio snorted. "What you paying?"

"You're towing the Celestia. How hard can moving a tramper be?"

"What gives you that impression?" Tempest asked, confused.

"The Celestia is arriving, and suddenly there isn't a single tugboat who can help me out. It'll be arriving shortly, won't it?"

"I thought the Celestia was due in this afternoon," Sonata asked.

"Shut it, you!" Tempest snapped, and they moved off.

"Ooh, bluepaint just got dropped!" Grubber laughed as he blasted his whistle.


Elsewhere, Skystar had just dropped off Shelly the fuel barge, who was due to be refilled after delivering her next load. That next load was to be given to a seaplane that was painted blue with prismatic lining. Her name was Rainbow Dash.

"You got the fuel for me?" she asked.

"Yes indeed! 500 gallons of aviation fuel, as ordered!" Skystar smiled.

"Awesome!" Rainbow Dash exclaimed. "Who's the new tug over there?"

"Oh! Her," Skystar continued. "Silversteam, this is Rainbow Dash. Rainbow Dash, Silverstream."

"Hello!" Silverstream replied.

"I'd love to stay and chat, but we need to be off!" Skystar continued. "The Princess Celestia is coming in today, and we want to watch them get her into port."

"Have fun!" Rainbow Dash replied, and took to the skies.

Skystar looked beyond with suspicion. "Wait a second. That's Tempest Shadow, with Grubber and Sonata Dusk! What are they up to?"


Elsewhere, Sky Beak had run into Thunderhooves. "Morning Thunderhooves!" he called. "Need any help?"

"I'd like a tow."

"Can we please not argue about fees? We've got enough to do today without that debate again."

"Especially since the Duchess has arrived early."

"What?" Sky Beak exclaimed. "Sorry Thunder, I'll tow you later. I need to warn the others!" With a blast of his whistle, he was off.

However, before Sky Beak could get to Big Mac, Grubber and Sonata cornered him. "Fancy some help?" asked Sonata.

Big Mac eyes them with suspicion. "What's the catch?" he asked.

"Nothing. We want to work out of the goodness of our hearts," Grubber told him. It was, of course, a lie. Big Mac had no idea, but they were leading him into disaster.


Mistmane looked over to Skystar as she pulled up at the dock. "Have you seen Big Mac anywhere?" she asked.

"I have no idea!" Skystar replied, in a sing song voice.

"We need his help, and fast," Mistmane continued. "The Celestia is docking early, and we need all boats we can get to moor her safely."

Just then, the liner blasted her horn. "Good grief!" Blueblood cried. "We have to get moving, pronto!"

"I hope Big Mac gets here soon," Sky Beak said. "Or else we're in big trouble."

"Indeed," Mistmane said, as she steamed into position. "Where in Equestria is he?"


Skystar and Silverstream found him soon enough. Big Mac was wedged on a sandbank, stuck between two barges.

"What happened?" Skystar asked.

"Grubber and Sonata were helpin' me out," Big Mac replied, "but then Ah got stuck on this dirty great sandbank."

"Can we pull him free?" asked Silverstream.

There was a loud horn echoing through the harbour.

"You have no time!" Big Mac called. "Go and help get the Celestia docked. Ah won't be goin' nowhere. Mistmane will tell you what ta do."

"I've never moved so big a boat!" Skystar replied.

"Go!" Big Mac replied. "Ah'll be fine, don't ya worry."


Initially, it seemed as if all was going fine. Despite the fact that we lacked our two most powerful tugboats, it seemed as though we were going to get the Celestia into dock safely.

"Well, that plan of yours didn't work," Adagio told Tempest as they watched the docking operation. "We really shouldn't have revealed our hand so soon."

"Revealed our hand?" Tempest snorted. "I've only revealed one card. We can deal with this one, no problem." As she looked closely, she saw Silverstream backing up from the Celestia. Her chance had come, and she approached the small tug at ramming speed.

Silverstream never heard her coming. The first she knew was that she shot forward and crashed straight into the Celestia's rudder, before spinning uncontrollably on the other side.

Blueblood felt the boat lurch on his side. "What's going on over there?" he asked.

"I've got this!" Tempest called, and moved into position to guide the boat. It was unthinkable, the Seaquestria tugs accepting help from the Storm Fleet, but it was that or crash the Celestia. Such an outcome would be unnaceptable.

Silverstream, dazed and confused, simply slipped away into the dark, ashamed of herself and unable to explain what had happened. She didn't know that Thunderhooves had witnessed the whole thing.


That evening, as the passengers from the liner and the Seaquestria Tugs celebrated, Silverstream watched on, ashamed. She felt she had spoilt her only chance. She steamed sadly away. "Nobody wants me," she whispered.

Meanwhile, the Storm King sounded very happy over the news. "Excellent work!" he said. "You did a superb job. With that screwup of a tug out of the way, we'll have that contract. Just one thing. Nobody saw you, right?"

"Not even that little tugboat, sir," Adagio replied.

"Fantastic. I'll phone the line tomorrow."

"That Silverstream sure had a bad day, eh?" Grubber joked, and they all laughed about it.


Thunderhooves was still stuck in his berth. "Now where is Sky Beak?" he wondered. "He said he would tow me in, but he hasn't. My ancestors would never put up with this."

Not far away, at our mooring dock, Skystar looked down at the water. "I think I should go and look for Silverstream," she said.

"Why?" Blueblood asked. "Do you really want a tug that rams into ocean liners on our team?"

"We all make mistakes!" Skystar replied. "Me more than others, admittedly. But I want to try and put this right. What do you say, Mistmane?"

The old paddle steamer looked over to Skystar. "I neither agree nor disagree with either of you. It's your choice."

Skystar's mind was made up, and she puffed out of the dock and towards the industrial sector. This zone was a tough maze to navigate at the best of times, but at night it was almost impossible to chart a safe course through.

"Silverstream!" she called. "Silverstream! Are you there?"

Silverstream, who was moored nearby, suddenly woke up. "Skystar? Oh no! She'll have me covered in barnacles for sure!" Releasing her mooring ropes, she steamed off into the distance as fast as she could.

Skystar continued to follow, but the thick fog made navigation difficult- not made at all easy by the large amount of smoke from the trains. She soon exited the industrial zone and found herself in the bay. "Maybe she went into the bay!" she said, and steamed off in that direction.

She never saw Silverstream hiding behind a wharf building. "Maybe I should just return to Klugetown," she sighed. "At least the people and boats there know me." And she puffed away, broken and disheartened.

Skystar then saw Ocean Flow and Sunset Shimmer. Sunset Shimmer was the harbour's resident lightship. She was painted orange with red and yellow lining, and helped ships to navigate in and out of Hippogriffia Port as the lighthouse was undergoing renovation.

"Hello Skystar!" she greeted.

"Good evening, Skystar," Ocean Flow added.

"Ocean Flow! You're back!" Skystar exclaimed. "Boy am I glad to see you!"

"The work up the coast went a little longer than expected, dear," Ocean Flow replied. "Did everything go OK with the Celestia?"

"Yes," Skystar replied. It was a lie, but Ocean Flow didn't need to know the details. "Hey, have either of you seen Silverstream anywhere? Small tugboat, painted grey?"

"I'm afraid I haven't," Sunset replied. "Good luck in your search."

Skystar set off sadly into the distance. She had to find Silverstream, she just had to.

Later on, she ran into Thunderhooves. "Hello Thunderhooves!" she said. "Still moored here?"

"Yes, as Sky Beak still hasn't turned up to tow me in," the tramper replied. "Is there something you needed?"

"I'm looking for Silverstream," Skystar replied. "She's run off. I guess she's ashamed after causing the accident."

"Silverstream didn't caused the accident. Tempest Shadow rammed her. I saw the entire thing."

Skystar gasped. "I KNEW those ships were up to something! I need to tell the others, fast!"

As she steamed away, Thunderhooves looked forward. "I suppose a few more hours here can't hurt."


Sky Beak was just nodding off when Skystar roared into the dock, blasting her whistle. "Wake up you guys!" she called. "We need to find Silverstream!"

"I only just got off to sleep," Blueblood moaned.

"Silverstream didn't cause the accident. Tempest did. Thunderhooves told me what happened. He witnessed the entire thing!"

"Sweet Faust above!" Mistmane exclaimed. "I had wondered how Tempest had appeared so quickly. We need to search for Silverstream and put this right. Have you searched everywhere?"

"As far out as Sunset and into the city," Skystar replied. "Where was she from again?"

Mistmane had an idea. "She probably started heading back upriver to Klugetown. The rest of you follow Skystar up the river. I'll stay here and fill in Captain Novo!"

With loud toots of their horns and choruses of whistles, the tugboats moved off, determined to save Silverstream no matter the cost. "We've done the poor lass wrong," Big Mac sighed. "Let's go, Sky Beak."

"You two, Blueblood!" Sky Beak called.

Blueblood sighed. "Seeing as I'm awake, I may as well."


It was lucky they set off when they did. Silverstream had gotten lost in the fog and crashed into a rock. She had run aground and was in danger of sinking.

"I've found her!" Skystar called. "What a mess. We'll need a crane to get her out."

"Just leave me here," the smaller tugboat sighed. "If I'm here, I can't mess things up again."

"We discovered it wasn't your fault," Blueblood said. "And for what it's worth... I'm sorry."

Silverstream suddenly perked up. "Do you think Captain Novo will have me back?"

"I sure do," Skystar laughed. "An apology from Blueblood! I never thought I'd see the day."

"Thunderhooves told us what happened," Big Mac explained, "so we can now set the record straight."

Sky Beak's face suddenly looked shocked, and he swung around and headed back the other way. "Thunderhooves? Oh no, I completely forgot!"


When the truth emerged, the Storm King was not happy. He walked onto the dock, took out his megaphone, stood next to Tempest, and bellowed at the top of his voice. "SO, YOU WERE SEEN, YOU BLITHERING IDIOT!" he bellowed.

Tempest looked at him in the same way she always did. "There was no other vessel around that could have seen it," she calmly observed.

"AND YET YOU WERE!" the Storm King continued. "NOW WE'LL NEVER GET THAT CONTRACT, AND CAPTAIN NOVO CAN LAUGH IN MY FACE!"

Sonata looked over at the others. "I think he's not happy," she said.

"For what it's worth... sorry, boss," Adagio answered.

"MESS UP AGAIN, AND I'LL HAVE YOU SCRAPPED AND REPLACED!" the Storm King replied. "NOW GET OUT OF MY SIGHT!"

As the tugs steamed away, Aria growled. "This would have been avoided if we just did business the honest way, like normal companies," she said.

I had a few words to say to my tugs as well. "Good morning," I said, in my usual cheerful tone. None of the tugs looked cheerful. Most of them looked ashamed of themselves. "The good news is that Silverstream sustained little damage and has been fully repaired and refitted."

"What's the bad news, ma'am?" Ocean Flow asked.

"There isn't any," I replied. "But I hope all of you have learned a valuable lesson today about the importance of not jumping to conclusions and to trust others."

"Yes ma'am," they all said sheepishly.

"Now, if you look out to sea, I would like to welcome our newest recruit, Silverstream!"

Silverstream sailed into the dock, and what a sight to see she was! Instead of her grey livery, she was now painted pink with two tone blue lining.

"Welcome aboard!" Skystar cheered, and the tugs all blasted their whistles until the cows came home.

Author's Note:

Silverstream

Written by The Blue EM2

Based on 'Sunshine', by Gloria Tors

Sunshine was one of four Tugs episodes to exist in both 20 and 15 minute versions. This version is based on the 20 minute episode released on VHS in 1989.