• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,683 Views, 35 Comments

Working Girl Sunny - redandready45



The story of how Sunset Shimmer started selling sushi.

  • ...
7
 35
 1,683

Labor Pains

"You come in 5PM on Monday through Thursday," the Neighponese manager, Mr. Ranchitaimu [1], said in a thick accent. He was a stout and short man with a pink kimono on his body, purple slacks, and traditional sandals on his feet. His skin was green, his hair was dark and tied into a topknot haircut, and his eyes were the color of cherry blossoms. He and Sunset sat at a table near the entrance, where the man was patiently explaining to Sunset the rules she had to follow. "And you come in Saturday at 10 AM, or I dock you."

"OK."

"You come in with uniform ironed and clean," the man paused to hand her the uniform in a plastic bag. It was a blue kimono and similar sandals "or I dock you."

"OK."

"You wash your hands and don't touch food or I dock you."

"OK."

"You must always polite to customers," the man said, "or...I dock you."

"OK."

"The tables and chairs must always be straight or..." the man paused, seemingly for dramatic effect.

"You dock me?"

"No, no," the man said with a wry grin, "I fire you!" His expression became stern again.

"Oh," Sunset lamented.

"Zecora-san," the man shouted. A girl wearing a similar blue kimono approached him. Based off the stripes on her body, grey skin, and checkered hair, this girl (who was about Sunset's age) was of Zebrican descent. She had blue eyes, hair styled into a mohawk, and was a head taller than Sunset. She wore golden rings around her neck, a golden bracelet, and a large golden earing on the right ear. The girl had a face that both solemn and dignified. She approached Mr. Ranchitaimu and gave him a respectful bow.

"Bucho-san[2]," the teenager said as she stood straight, "how may I assist? And who is this young miss?" Sunset was impressed with how Zecora seemed to adopt Neighponese honorifics and customs.

"This is Sunset," the stern man said uttered, "your new co-worker. You will instruct her as to the daily duties." The girl gave him a solemn nod.

"Sunset-san," the man said, "Zecora will teach you your duties. You will follow her words, or you will be docked."

"Yes sir," Sunset said, awkwardly getting into a bow herself before following the Zebrican teenager into the kitchen.

"So, ever been to Canterlot High?" Sunset asked the Zebrican girl in an attempt to break the ice.

"I have not, I go to school in South Canterlot," Zecora said in a calm but somewhat chilly voice without even looking at Sunset. Sunset remembered hearing that South Canterlot was the poor part of the town, but decided not to bring it up.

"So what's that like?" Sunset said, trying again to be friendly, only to be ignored by the Zebrican girl. This girl must've heard about Sunset's duplicitous past. Sunset sighed, frustrated that she lost another chance to make a new first impression. Sunset dropped the small talk and resolved to accept her training. Zecora took her to a massive commerical scale dishwasher that was being set up by some teenaged boy who wasn't wearing the traditional uniform. Instead, he wore jeans, red shoes, and a mauve polo shirt. He had purple skin, red hair, and a wispy mustache.

"Hey Z," the boy said with a flamboyant voice, "who's-," he paused as he saw Sunset approach him. "It's the Shimmer girl." Sunset frowned, expecting more condemnation to be thrown at her face. "Welcome to A Taste of Neighpon," the guy said in an unusually friendly tone. "Name's Steven Magnet."

Sunset was confused by the guy's kindness, but returned the greeting with a smile of her own. "Nice to meet you."

"To work here like you wish," Zecora began, "you must wash the dish."

"Wanna help me load up the dishwasher?" Steven asked Sunset.

"Sure." Zecora wandered off to care of some business while Sunset and Stephen loaded up the dishwasher.

"Why are you so nice to me?" Sunset asked once the dishes were almost done. Stephen seemed offended by the question.

"Honey, why are you questioning kindness?" Stephen responded.

"Well," Sunset said, "you probably heard about...what I did to someone."

"Honey," the purple-skinned boy said with a wave of his hand, "that was a long time ago. My mother taught me that holding onto a grudge is like wearing last season's clothing: a burden you shouldn't be forced to carry." Sunset snickered, thinking that was the kind of thing Rarity said.

"And Zecora doesn't like me," Sunset said.

"Z's always a grumpy gus," Stephen said with a reassuring grin, "that's nothing new. Anyways, I don't hold anything against you." With a smile, the two started loading up the dishwater. Zecora returned just as the dishwasher was loaded up and turned on.

"The dishes are done at last," Zecora said with a neutral expression, "come Sunset, you have a new task." Sunset approached the girl. Realizing her aloofness wasn't personal made Sunset feel a weight was being lifted off her shoulders.


"Konnichi wa," Sunset said to her first customer with a saleswoman's smile, "and welcome to A Taste of Neighpon." Sunset was acting as the maƮtre'd and was dressed in the kimono and sandals. To make an effort for her new job, she styled her hair into a more Neighponese style, tying it together with a barrette shaped like a puffer fish. She also picked up some Neighponese phrases.

"Table for one," the customer, an old lady, said with a polite smile. Sunset gave the woman a menu and led her to her table where Zecora was ready to take her order. Sunset smiled. That woman didn't seem to judge her, or even know who she was. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. Sunset returned to the podium just as a new customer came in through the door.

"Konnichi wa," Sunset repeated, "and welcome to-," Sunset's cheer died down as she saw who came through the door.

"Shimmer," Bon Bon said with an unpleasant expression, "what are doing here?" While most students disliked Sunset, Bon Bon was one of the few students who went out of her way to talk down to her. Sunset noticed that Bon Bon only did this when Rainbow or Twinkle weren't around to tell her off. Sunset thus had little respect for anything the candy lover said to her.

"Doing what you've never done before," Sunset said with a smirk, "something useful."

"To think you're working here," Bon Bon said with a stern glare, "I never knew this place also offered prostitution and sushi."

"Well why don't you apply," Sunset said with a frown, "you're mouth is so big, you must be using it for something other than sucking-,"

"Sunset-san." Sunset turned around and saw her boss looking at her sternly. "What did I say?" Sunset remembered how according to Neighponese tradition, she had to be polite to everyone, even to people she disliked. With a sigh, reluctantly led Bon Bon to her table, who reveled in forcing Sunset to be polite to her. Before Sunset could walk away, Bon Bon called her over.

"Yes ma'am," Sunset said. Bon Bon saw some soy sauce spilled on the table.

"Clean it up," Bon Bon said with a nasty grin. With a sigh, Sunset wiped it up. Before Sunset could walk away, Bon Bon called her over. She saw an even bigger soy sauce spill. "Sorry," Bon Bon said with an even nastier grin, "made another mess."

"I'm not cleaning it up," Sunset growled.

"Do it, criminal," Bon Bon gloated, "or I'll tell your boss." Sunset felt her teeth clench, realizing with pent up rage that as someone with her bad reputation, it was Bon Bon's word against hers. She fantasized about smashing the candy lover's teeth, but remembered she didn't have that luxury. If she acted out, she'd lose her job, and any chances of finding other employment. With a tired sigh, Sunset bent down, and wiped up the bigger stain, ignoring Bon Bon's smug grin.

"Personally, I think this job suits you," Bon Bon gloated, "with your ass bent over for everyone to look at." Sunset grit her teeth again. Once the mess was clean, she stormed away from the nasty little witch to the podium. She struggled to get her temper under control before the next customer came. She had to be polite, no matter the situation.

"Konnichi wa," Sunset said as a group came in, "welcome to-," Sunset's mood brightened when she saw who came in.

"Hey Sunspot," Twinkle said with a bright smile that made Sunset feel like there were butterflies in her stomach. Behind him were his teammates, who also looked at Sunset with warm smiles.

"Twinkle, Sprint," Sunset said with a happy voice, "what are you guys?"

"Our meet ended early," Sprint said, "so we decided to stop by."

"Plus we heard that some hot babe got a job here," Ozone said with a sly smile. Twinkle just rolled his eyes, which showed how secure he was, and how much he trusted Ozone.

"Anyways," Sunset said with happy, "let me get you guys a table." Sunset let her boyfriend and his friends to a booth near the back.

"How's the work treating you," Zip asked Sunset.

"Great."

"Anyone giving you trouble?" Ozone asked with a stern voice. Sunset smiled at how the blue-skinned athlete went from hating Sunset to wanting to protect her. Sunset glanced at Bon Bon, who's face was very, very close to the menu. Bon Bon glanced at Sunset and hid her entire face behind the menu out of fear. Sunset briefly considered siccing Twinkle and his friends on the brat.

"Nope," Sunset said with a wry grin. Sunset realized that sometimes rising above was much sweeter than petty revenge. The group took their seats.

"Do you think we can get a discount," Twinkle said with a seductive smile, "being your boyfriend and all."

"How about an extra kiss every time we go out." Sunset said with a smile. The team let out a playful and teasing 'oohs'.

"Sold," Twinkle said with a wry grin. Sunset walked back to the podium, allowing Zecora to take their orders.

"Konnichi wa". Three male teenagers came to the podium. All of them wore identical purple dress shirts with dark blue pants. One guy had grey skin, blue eyes, and well-groomed dark hair. He wore glasses and looked at Sunset with an aloof expression. Another guy had blue skin, poofy white and grey hair, and orange eyes who looked a little snide. The tallest one had white skin, blond hair, and blue eyes. His build was pretty muscular. Almost as muscular as Twinkle's.

"Table for three, pronto," the white skinned guy asked in a somewhat lordly way. To Sunset's discomfort, the blue skinned guy seemed to leer at her.

"Sure," Sunset said with forced politeness, getting a bad feeling about these three. The fire-haired girl led them to a booth and walked away, letting the Zebrican girl serve them.

"What would you like to eat?" Zecora asked the three teenagers as she came to take their orders. "Our special today is quite a feat." The three boys looked at her with a smirk.

"As if this place wasn't so lower class," the white skinned boy said with some disdain, "they would hire a Stripe Head." Zecora felt an uncomfortable frown form on her face.

"I can't believe it either Blueblood," the grey-skinned boy mused, "I pictured her kind hunting antelope, not eating among civilized people."

"Yeah Jet Set," the blue-skinned boy said with childish disdain, "why doesn't she go back to the jungle like the little ape you are?"

The three let out a disdainful laugh. "Good one Pierce," the white kid cackled.

Sunset overheard the conversation and became increasingly enraged. Her rage grew at seeing Zecora put up with this abuse. The way Twinkle was looking at the three punks, he overheard the conversation and was not amused.

"I am a person same as you." Zecora said stoically, brushing off those slurs. "Now what would you like me to bring you." A brief flash of annoyance formed on their faces. Sunset realized these jerks were the kind of people who liked getting a rise out of others, and got annoyed when someone didn't take the bait.

"We'll have a bento," Blueblood said with disdain. Zecora turned to walk away. The blue kid, Pierce, took the soy sauce and poured it all over the floor with a nasty grin, to Sunset's outrage.

"Waitress," Blueblood said with a mocking smile, "clean up this mess." With either calm or resignation, Zecora bent down to clean it up. With a demented grin, Blueblood extended her hand and proceeded to pinch her butt.

Zecora jumped up with a nasty screech and turned to the three jerks with a saddened expression. Sunset felt her teeth grind together.

"Why did you-?"

"What are talking about?" Blueblood said with a mocking grin. "Now do what you your kind was created to do and serve us." The three boys let out another nasty laugh as Zecora bent over with a frustrated frown on her face.

Sunset felt bits of red cloud her vision. These idiots insulted Zecora for her heritage, treated her like a slave, and sexually assaulted her. But it was the resigned hopelessness on Zecora's face that set her over the edge. Sunset felt her desire to punch those clowns overwhelm her desire to keep her job.

However, she didn't have to, seeing as Twinkle, Sprint, and the rest of the team were thinking the same thing, if their glares were any indication.

The blue-skinned boy then slapped Zecora on the buttocks. Twinkle was about ready to rise out of her chair to beat those brutes up, but was stopped by someone else.

"Leave her alone!" Bon Bon stormed over to the table. To Sunset's surprise, the candy lover's jaw was clenched and her hands were balled up into fists. "Why don't you Crystal Creeps get lost!" The three boys looked at the tanned-skin girl like she was less than an ant.

"And who are you?" Blueblood said with disdain.

"Someone you don't want to mess with." Bon Bon said with a growl.

"Why don't you bend down," Pierce said like he was a petulant kindergartener, "and suck my big, fat-,"

A vicious hand slapped Pierce across the face. Pierce rubbed his sore cheek and cowered away from the angry girl. She then grabbed Blueblood by his collar.

"Last chance assholes," Bon Bon said. "Beat it or I'll beat you!" Sunset couldn't believe it, but she found herself smiling at Bon Bon. The track team were looking at her like proud parents. Mr. Ranchitaimu came over. much to Sunset's glee. These idiots were gonna get the boot.

Much to Sunset's confusion, Blueblood looked more annoyed than afraid as the owner came toward him.

"What is going on here?" Mr. Ranchitaimu asked.

"Mr. Ranchitaimu," Jet Set said with a tone of familiarity, "this brute attacked my friend for no reason."

"What?" Bon Bon said, releasing the white-skinned idiot, "sir, these three-."

"You must leave," Mr. Ranchitaimu said to Bon Bon. Sunset looked at this with disbelief, while Bon Bon looked outraged.

"Sir," Bon Bon protested, "I was-"

"Either that girl leaves," Blueblood said to the Neighponese man, "or I'll call my father to complain about the...deplorable conditions." The words made the usually serious man look nervous.

"Ms. you must leave." Bon Bon was about to object but saw the pleading in the man's eyes. She walked away with a look of pity toward the man and Zecora, who was standing with a hunch, and uncomfortably rubbing her arm. Sparky got up from the booth with an angry expression.

"Mr. Ranchitaimu," Sparky said with outrage, standing up with anger, "we saw those idiots-,"

"I suggest you hold your tongue," Jet Set said with disdain. The three boys rose from their tables. Sunset thought they were cowardly running away, but they showed almost no fear of the giant, yellow-skinned boy.

"Or this man will lose everything," Blueblood said as the three started to walk away from the restaurant. Sparky looked like he wanted to break the boy's neck, but didn't want to threaten to man's livelihood. He watched the three goons leave with a mixture of disgust and outrage. Twinkle and the rest of the track team felt the same way.

Mr. Ranchitaimu looked thoroughly ashamed and helpless, while Zecora looked down at the floor. Sparky, not knowing what else to do, walked up to Zecora to try and comfort her.

"Are you OK?" The yellow skinned runner asked in a soothing tone. Zecora ran out of the restaurant in tears, much to Sunset's pity and horror.

Author's Note:

[1] The Japanese word for eating lunch.

[2] The Japanese word for boss.