• Published 7th Sep 2020
  • 2,324 Views, 409 Comments

Como Salsa para los Tacos - Admiral Biscuit



One thing ponies lack in Equestria is Taco Bells. With enough hard work from enough ponies, that can change.

  • ...
6
 409
 2,324

Chapulin II

Como Salsa para los Tacos: Chapulin II
Admiral Biscuit

At first some of the other workers at Taco Bell had been wary around Chapulin, but by the end of her first week most of them had warmed up to her. Gómez started calling her Cri-Cri, and that nickname stuck.

“It’s time to learn to make food,” Gómez told her one morning after she’d clocked in for her shift. “Not just for yourself, but for customers.”

Chapulin grinned and started wagging her tail. This was what she’d come for, and she’d proven herself on the cash registers and the drive-through and unloading the food truck and of course cleaning.

“First thing is that you always have to wear gloves on the food line.”

“Gloves? Those are for people. I use magic. I don’t need—”

Gómez stuck a latex glove over her horn, and she shivered at the unexpected touch. “There you go.”

She couldn’t see it. The brim of her hat obscured it, but she could kind of feel it was there. It was a dumb rule, right up there with needing shoes.

Which she’d already had to replace: the brass didn’t have any traction on the slippery tile floors. It wasn’t good for her hooves to get re-shod too often, so after her second day, she’d mail-ordered a set of hoof boots to fit over her shoes. Those hadn’t been cheap, $92 per boot plus shipping, but Easyboot Clouds were the only ones she could get quickly in a pony size. Plus, they claimed that they were good for hard surfaces.

Gómez took a few pictures of her with his phone, then took the glove back off her horn. “You don’t really need that.”

Chapulin stuck her tongue out at him. “Are you going to help me to make tacos?”

“Have you watched all the training videos?”

She nodded. There were a lot of them, and she’d stayed late after several shifts to see them all, sometimes more than once just to make sure she understood.

“Make me a burrito supreme.”

Watching the training videos wasn’t the same as actually doing it. She knew it was a ten-inch tortilla, cooked for five seconds per side on the tortilla warmer. And then refried beans, but there were two different scoops in the bean bin. “Is it the red scoop or the green one?”

“Red.”

“And then the red sauce.”

Gómez nodded.

Seasoned beef was easy; there was only one size scoop in that. And then a single trigger-pull of sour cream, small handfuls of lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and onions, all of that was straightforward.

Until it was time to fold it. Watching the video wasn’t the same as doing it herself; Gómez showed her and then unfolded it to let her try.

On the third attempt, he considered it a success, and she got to fold it into the wrapper which she also got wrong the first time.

The whole afternoon, she struggled on the line while Gómez helped her and encouraged her, reminding her of food cooking times and ingredients or which wrapper to use.

Things in bowls were the easiest to make, as long as she remembered what went in them. There wasn’t any folding or rolling or cutting involved. Hard-shell tacos were easy, too; she just had to be careful not to break them when she wrapped them.

It wasn’t easy to tell that she was getting quicker during her shift. The food orders never ceased, but Gómez wasn’t having to help her out as much, and by the time they were well into Fourthmeal, he wasn’t helping her at all. She didn’t need help any more.

•••

That night she was too tired to write in her journal. She got out of her Uber and staggered up to her apartment, peeled off her Easyboots and flopped down on her bed for a short rest.

She woke up in the middle of the night, uncomfortably sweaty in her uniform clothes. Chapulin undressed herself and tossed the clothes into a pile on the floor, then fell back asleep.

•••

The next morning, she was stiff and sore and her coat was clumped and matted. She staggered to the shower and as the hot water rinsed the dried sweat off her, she started to feel like a proper pony again.

Her apartment had a laundry in the basement, which was a perk she’d never thought she’d use. A week’s worth of Taco Bell clothes—minus the hat, which couldn’t be washed in a machine—went in, and she ate breakfast while watching her clothes spin round and round in the machine.

The soap she used had a lavender scent, which wasn’t powerful enough to mask the Taco Bell smell in her clothes.

She didn’t watch her clothes in the dryer; instead she wrote in her notebook. She’d already written down all the food preparation instructions as she’d learned them from the computer training modules, but now that she’d done it for herself, she could get more specific with tips and tricks that she’d learned on the job.

When she was back upstairs with a basketful of fresh fluffy clothes, she went into her office and scanned the new pages into the computer, then sent them off via e-mail.